GMC 23-24

Watching the Cov Cath / Hoban stream - I've seen quite a few Cincy games so far this season, and both of these teams are significantly better than any Cincy team I've seen.

Very entertaining first half. Cov Cath with a very good and athletic big man with some very capable guards around him.

Hoban with alot of shot makers as well. And their big guy is a load.

You don't see this skill level across the city anymore. This is what basketball should look like. There are more true basketball players in this game alone than I've seen across the city so far this year. There's a great flow, most of the kids can create a shot, they can shoot the 3, they play hard, and they play defense too. Cincy HS basketball is ugly.

Teams used to look like this. Not anymore.

Last edited:
Watching the Cov Cath / Hoban stream - I've seen quite a few Cincy games so far this season, and both of these teams are significantly better than any Cincy team I've seen.

Very entertaining first half. Cov Cath with a very good and athletic big man with some very capable guards around him.

Hoban with alot of shot makers as well. And their big guy is a load.

You don't see this skill level across the city anymore. This is what basketball should look like. There are more true basketball players in this game alone than I've seen across the city so far this year. There's a great flow, most of the kids can create a shot, they can shoot the 3, they play hard, and they play defense too. Cincy HS basketball is ugly.

Teams used to look like this. Not anymore.
Cov Cath is definitely the best team in greater Cincinnati. They might be a top 5 team in all of Kentucky too.

I will say this about the GMC/GCL-S teams: they can all defend and are all physical. If you watch games in other states, the quality of defense is quite poor.

Cov Cath is definitely the best team in greater Cincinnati. They might be a top 5 team in all of Kentucky too.

I will say this about the GMC/GCL-S teams: they can all defend and are all physical. If you watch games in other states, the quality of defense is quite poor.
Agree they play good defense, but they all get away with being too physical. In saying that, some are completely abysmal on offense, with only 2-3 kids who can consistently score.

It's refreshing to see 10 guys on the floor who are all offensive threats, and everyone is involved in the flow of the game. The night and day difference of this game to what we typically watch in Cincinnati is staggering. This is good basketball, with quality talented players.

I'd put Cupps and Ruthsatz at the top of the list of coaches in the area. Both are excellent and prepare their teams to compete at the highest level and you can tell they develop everyone to be threats on the floor. I love their approach.

Also, you look at Cov Cath, and outside of their good big guy, they are a bunch of small guards who don't look like much. But they all contribute with high level basketball skills. Fundamental, ability to create shots, get to the rim, pull up jumpers, great ball handling, intense on defense. Their coach gives them freedom to go out and be basketball players. This is what's missing.

It's so refreshing to see talented kids play free and loose. I know the Cincinnati kids have this in them, but so many are stifled by so much coach control. So refreshing to watch this game.

Moeller is just now getting their entire roster back healthly and playing. By Mid-January, they will leave little doubt who is the bests team in
Cincinnati.

Moeller is just now getting their entire roster back healthly and playing. By Mid-January, they will leave little doubt who is the bests team in
Cincinnati.
I think you could make the argument that Moe is already the best team in Cincinnati.

Very competitive year in that many teams are around the same level, but not a great year for several great teams. In fact, most are very average.

I think you could make the argument that Moe is already the best team in Cincinnati.

Very competitive year in that many teams are around the same level, but not a great year for several great teams. In fact, most are very average.
They are definitely the best team already and once 100 percent healthy and rolling they are my favorites in the state for D1

They are definitely the best team already and once 100 percent healthy and rolling they are my favorites in the state for D1
Are you including Ohio only? Because I stand by my statement of Cov Cath if you include Northern Kentucky. I also still don’t think they’re better than Centerville (we’ll see when they’re healthy) and I think a few of the Columbus area teams could be better too. Just remember, Moeller beat winless Withrow by 4. Still think they’re the best team on the Ohio side in Cincinnati, but let’s not pretend they’re head-and-shoulders better. They’ll be in a dogfight in the GCL-S games and against several of the top GMC teams as well.

Are you including Ohio only? Because I stand by my statement of Cov Cath if you include Northern Kentucky. I also still don’t think they’re better than Centerville (we’ll see when they’re healthy) and I think a few of the Columbus area teams could be better too. Just remember, Moeller beat winless Withrow by 4. Still think they’re the best team on the Ohio side in Cincinnati, but let’s not pretend they’re head-and-shoulders better. They’ll be in a dogfight in the GCL-S games and against several of the top GMC teams as well.
I stated they are the best in Cincinnati not including NKY or Dayton/Centerville, once Moeller is healthy I do think they will be the best team in SWO. A win is a win being the best team doesn't mean you will beat everyone by double digits being able to win close games especially getting those test early will help them in the long run. I did not see the Withrow game but I know they are young long and athletic and sometimes matchups make games. That same Moeller team traveled to beat a young very talented and athletic STVSM team

I stated they are the best in Cincinnati not including NKY or Dayton/Centerville, once Moeller is healthy I do think they will be the best team in SWO. A win is a win being the best team doesn't mean you will beat everyone by double digits being able to win close games especially getting those test early will help them in the long run. I did not see the Withrow game but I know they are young long and athletic and sometimes matchups make games. That same Moeller team traveled to beat a young very talented and athletic STVSM team
That team is 2-5. The 10 point home win over Princeton is their best win by a lot.

Friday, December 22, 2023
St. Xavier at Fairfield
Colerain at Hamilton
Middletown at Lakota East
Princeton at Mason
Oak Hills at Sycamore

Back to GMC discussion. Can Fairfield finally get it going against a decent team at home? Can the Middies continue with probably their toughest test to-date on the road at Lakota East? Will Mason put up a fight against one of the good teams in the league? Can Sycamore bounce back at home against Oak Hills? Will Colerain lose by less than 30?

That team is 2-5. The 10 point home win over Princeton is their best win by a lot.
2-5 with playing Pick Central State champ runner up last year and contender this year
Reynoldsburg State contender
Lutheran East state champ last year favorite to repeat with arguably the best player in the state
St Ed a powerhouse state championship contender
those are their four losses outside of Moeller

2-5 with playing Pick Central State champ runner up last year and contender this year
Lutheran East state champ last year favorite to repeat with arguably the best player in the state
St. Vincent-St. Mary's is without a doubt a good team, but they are in fact 2-5 and just got beat by St. Ed's by 21, so by no means are they great. Moeller beat them by 5. You come into the GMC thread acting like Moeller is a world-beater this year, and, frankly, they're not. They are a good team. Can they win the southwest region? Maybe. Can they win state? It's possible, but I highly doubt it. Facts are that Moeller is 5-0 with two good wins over St. Vincent-St. Mary's and Princeton and a narrow win over a terrible Withrow team. They have work to do. Middletown also happens to be undefeated at 7-0, but none of us are acting like they're going to win state because we all know they haven't been challenged yet. Moeller hasn't been challenged yet either. If they go win at Centerville in January and then start rolling through the GCL-S, then I'll change my opinion. But for now, they are a good team that still needs to prove it.

2-5 is 2-5. It's one thing to schedule those teams and another thing to beat them.

Princeton 51
Mason 55
Final

Mason shot very well from 3. Princeton struggled with turnovers. Great win for Mason

And yet, in turn, Cov Cath lost at McNicholas tonight (12/22) on a three-point buzzer beater. I know all judgements should not be made on the basis of any one game. Cov Cath has already defeated Newport in the only scheduled regular season game between the two teams, 73-63, but I would give Newport more than a puncher's chance in a rematch should they meet in the tournament. By the way, Newport defeated basketball factory Huntington Prep, 58-55, last week. Again, a one game sample. Newport is the defending 9th region (northern Kentucky) champion.