Future of Boardman Football

ORC says a teacher switching districts gets @ minimum step 5 & max step 10. That’s pretty bad in most cases. Maybe if u r going from a district with a bad step schedule, like boardman, to a good one. But u r going to lose money if u have a lot of years experience. Terrible career move to leave your real job for a supplemental that pays less than minimum wage considering the time. BTW, tenure does not transfer. It is granted by the local board based on their policy. Usually u need @ least 3 years in house & a masters degree. Plus u get more raises as a teacher the more education u have. Another reason it’s hard for experienced people to leave. Teachers have very little room to make lateral career moves. Basically after 5 years, u better be were u want to be or plan on taking a pay cut.

Tenure transfers. It is up to the teacher to decide to accept the job without the tenure. If the district WANTS the teacher, they will have to grant it if the teachers wants it. The teacher may decline to accept the job. And if they don’t offer tenure, it would be a stupid teacher to accept a job when he already has gained educational tenure status.

Tenure transfers. It is up to the teacher to decide to accept the job without the tenure. If the district WANTS the teacher, they will have to grant it if the teachers wants it. The teacher may decline to accept the job. And if they don’t offer tenure, it would be a stupid teacher to accept a job when he already has gained educational tenure status.

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpeg
    IMG_0137.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0138.png
    IMG_0138.png
    287.3 KB · Views: 37
ORC says a teacher switching districts gets @ minimum step 5 & max step 10. That’s pretty bad in most cases. Maybe if u r going from a district with a bad step schedule, like boardman, to a good one. But u r going to lose money if u have a lot of years experience. Terrible career move to leave your real job for a supplemental that pays less than minimum wage considering the time. BTW, tenure does not transfer. It is granted by the local board based on their policy. Usually u need @ least 3 years in house & a masters degree. Plus u get more raises as a teacher the more education u have. Another reason it’s hard for experienced people to leave. Teachers have very little room to make lateral career moves. Basically after 5 years, u better be were u want to be or plan on taking a pay cut.
This is true what you said about the ORC, however districts can work with unions to create an MOU to waive this.

And tenure does not carry automatically.

Pretty sure this is easily the worst team Boardman has fielded in school history.

I can remember the 2003, 2004, and 2013 teams at least fighting hard and competing on defense.
SMH. What do you think is the problem is though? Is it Dota or the OC, DC? or is there a lack of skill?

The talent level is no where close to Fitch and Ursuline. The team tries hard but its tough to win when your jimmy are not as good as the other teams joes. Dont know what else can be done until they stop people from going to other schools who have talent.

The talent level is no where close to Fitch and Ursuline. The team tries hard but its tough to win when your jimmy are not as good as the other teams joes. Dont know what else can be done until they stop people from going to other schools who have talent.
They need to stop playing the privates and schedule public schools. Maybe even one or two PA schools.

The talent level could be close to Ursuline and Fitch if they'd actually make an effort to keep their kids. Had Antram stayed, Boardman would have been in a much better position. My guess is Boardman settled for the stability of mediocre Dota after Antram spurned them after year 1. Boardman needs to reach out and see what quality candidates they could attract because the right hire could fix this program in a year or two.

I'm not a coach blamer but wherever Dota goes it seems like 6-4, 7-3 is top of the mark. Had a successful year or two at Harding and overall he runs an organized program but just can't seem to get a program to that next level where they win the league and make a deep playoff run. Maybe its because of talent but I also look at West Branch since he left and they seem to have found the winning formula that was missing really soon after he was gone. Not an attack. if he goes on to win at Boardman good for him and I will be the first to say I was wrong. Its only been 2 years.

I'm not a coach blamer but wherever Dota goes it seems like 6-4, 7-3 is top of the mark. Had a successful year or two at Harding and overall he runs an organized program but just can't seem to get a program to that next level where they win the league and make a deep playoff run. Maybe its because of talent but I also look at West Branch since he left and they seem to have found the winning formula that was missing really soon after he was gone. Not an attack. if he goes on to win at Boardman good for him and I will be the first to say I was wrong. Its only been 2 years.
I agree with this. I don't think Dota is a disaster as a coach. I just see Boardman as a really pretty god job in the Mahoning Valley. He'd be a better fit at a smaller school with lower expectations. He's just a placeholder for programs until they find they're guy. I just don't see how he improves any program he takes over. It's like the program is in purgatory until the next guy takes over.

He's a good coach. Have you considered you're bad fans?
I haven't seen much complaining from Boardman fans, and I don't think most of the folks on here are from Boardman. Only a couple, and they seem genuinely concerned for the program. I don't believe they are trashing the coach. It does beg the question:

Is it better to have bad fans, or no fans?

When Dota was at WGH, from 07-2010, he had really good talent in 08, 09, and 10. Only 1 playoff year in 2010, and WGH got beat bad by Glenville in Round1. Actually thought 09 was their best year, that had the most talent back then. Also losing to Howland was not good in 2010.

Last edited:
I not an alumni or fan of Boardman. I am somebody that has interest in football in the tri-county area of Mahoning, Trumbull, and Columbiana counties. I personally like when public schools in that area perform well. I think Boardman has the capability to do it like Canfield and South Range if they find the right coach. I don't think Dota is that guy. At the same point, Boardman can definitely DO worse if some of the candidates that are out there have no interest in the position. Truthfully, he might have been the best candidate in the last round of hires based on guys I know did NOT put in for the job.

I’m not a Boardman fan per se but I am rooting for the Spartans to become a strong program. I support all valley schools especially when playing teams from out of the area. I just feel the Spartans are underperforming and wondered why. I have nothing against coach Dota, if he’s the answer great. If not, I still wonder what or who is.

All I’m saying is, it’s pretty clear that Canfield has taken the approach to never play the Irish and Cardinals unless they have to. Overtime it has obviously paid dividends.

The answer is for Boardman to stop playing local privates. Why continue to have resources (coaching/playing time) on kids who are leaving? Mooney is multiple divisions higher. Ursuline beats you with your own…
I have found that pointing fingers at others is a dead end when trying to right a ship. Ask yourselves why players leave the Boardman program in 1st place. Because mean old Ursuline & Mooney lures them in? Continual decline in population in the Valley is a major factor --- zero birth rate and falling. Although the Spartans have excommunicated my Irish, I really hope they can figure it out. Blaming the parochials (how many do you play?) will just keep you stuck. Strong programs at Fitch, Boardman, Harding, Canfield, Chaney etc. makes high school football more fun for everybody. It ain't what it used to be because it ain't what it used to be. But finding fault outside yourself will keep BHS at 1-9.

All I’m saying is, it’s pretty clear that Canfield has taken the approach to never play the Irish and Cardinals unless they have to. Overtime it has obviously paid dividends.
Fitch has been the most talented public school in the area for the last five years while making Ursuline their biggest game. Parochial schools arent Boardman's problem-- it's the fact it is completely unserious program.

Boardman also had no problem whatsoever playing Ursuline when Kempe was there. As soon as Ursuline got good again, the spartans ran away.

That makes 0 sense as to why they’re as bad as they were this season.
It makes perfect sense when you’re being beat by players that went to BMS on other teams. The quick fix is drop the privates and schedule winnable public’s or out of the Mahoning valley privates and then kids may stay….

How does ducking the catholic schools pay dividends over time?
Idk other than not losing to privates with the kids that go to your own middle school… You avoid losing to privates in the regular season. Able to schedule winnable games. Build confidence in your program (winning).Forces privates to schedule out of county games…..
The proof is the fact that Canfield won a state championship and is in the conversation for one almost every year and most importantly they keep kids in the Canfield school system. They also just happen to NOT play local privates! It’s not a complicated formula….