Future of Boardman Football

GridironGod

Boardman is obviously struggling this year. Does anyone see a light at the end of that tunnel? Rumors are that there are talented players amongst the underclassmen. Hopefully that is true for the Spartans because they seem to be underperforming as a program in general (not just with the current staff but with past coaches as well). What are they lacking, skill, linemen, quarterbacks, a bit of everything?

I don’t think dota is the guy to resurrect that program. They’re trending the wrong way right now unfortunately

Boardman has underachieved for decades. They have always had tons of talent but have struggled to find coaches that could make them consistent winners and playoff participants. Part of the problem is that people are satisfied when they go 7-3 and make the playoffs. That’s a disaster season at any school that takes football seriously.

Boardman has underachieved for decades. They have always had tons of talent but have struggled to find coaches that could make them consistent winners and playoff participants. Part of the problem is that people are satisfied when they go 7-3 and make the playoffs. That’s a disaster season at any school that takes football seriously.
Tons of talent that transfers after middle school to Mooney/Ursuline. No secret the Spartans best seasons are when those programs are having “down” years.

Need the right coach but because of teachers contract they can’t pay enough to bring the better guys in, also agree losing some better players to mostly Ursuline now a days.

Let's not forget South Range has some Boardman kids as well. As far as the future of the program, they're a good way behind the bigger districts in the county. Fitch & Canfield as well as Ursuline & Mooney. All of those JH/freshman programs will/would dominate Boardman.

It's Amazing that Poland, Fitch, South Range (SR may be one of the ones bleeding Boardman) don't seem to get their talent stolen by parochials as much as Boardman. Granted those programs have more of a winning tradition over the last 5-10 years. It seems like Boardman needs a good season or two to stop the bleeding and keep players in the district. In the 80's, 90's and early 2000's Boardman put some really competitive teams on the field.

Tons of talent that transfers after middle school to Mooney/Ursuline. No secret the Spartans best seasons are when those programs are having “down” years.

I respectfully submit that the highlighted statement is debatable. If one considers making the playoffs as a "best season" then Boardman has qualified for the playoffs 12 times and if one were to look at Mooney's record in those same 12 seasons one would see that for the most part the Cardinals also had successful seasons.

Boardman qualified for the playoffs in 1987, 1990, 95, 99, 2001, 07, 09, 11, 15, 17, 18 & 2020. Mooney qualified in 9 of those seasons, played for a state championship in 4 of them and won 3 state championships in those same 12 seasons. The Spartans best season in terms of playoff success was 1987 when they finished as D1 runner-up.

The following are Mooney's records in Boardman's playoff seasons.

1987 - Mooney finished 12-1 D3 state champion
1990 - Mooney finished 11-2, lost in D3 semis
1995 - Mooney finished 10-2, lost in D4 regional final
1999 - Mooney finished 12-2 lost in D4 semis
2001 - Mooney finished winless (I count the Ursuline forfeit as a loss)
2007 - Mooney finished 14-1, D4 runner-up
2009 - Mooney finished 15-0 D3 state champion
2011 - Mooney finished 11-3 D3 state champion
2015 - Mooney finished 4-5 (Boardman finished 6-5)
2017 - Mooney finished 7-5, (lost to eventual state champion Big Red in 2nd round of D4 playoffs, 19-14) (Boardman finished 6-5)
2018 - Mooney finished 4-6 (Boardman finished 6-5)
2020 - Mooney finished 2-6, lost in 2nd round (Boardman finished 4-4)

I don't think the 2015, 17, 18 & 2020 seasons can be considered among Boardman's best but they were playoff seasons for them.

In addition I personally consider the 1985 & 86 Boardman teams to be among their best even though the Spartans did not qualify with 9-1 and 8-2 records respectively. Mooney qualified both of those years and finished as the D2 runner-up in 1985 with an 11-2 record.

Also, I believe the vast majority of kids from Boardman that attended Mooney over the years were from St. Charles not Boardman public schools.

Ytown I think historically you are accurate that back in the day most "Boardman" kids who played at Mooney attended Catholic middle schools. I did hear from more than one person though that Ursuline has very recently poached several of Boardman's kids who were in public school their entire academic career then left prior to or after their freshman year. I don't know if that says anything or proves anything just an observance. For as diverse as that community has become you would think they would be able to field teams the same caliber as Austintown.

I respectfully submit that the highlighted statement is debatable. If one considers making the playoffs as a "best season" then Boardman has qualified for the playoffs 12 times and if one were to look at Mooney's record in those same 12 seasons one would see that for the most part the Cardinals also had successful seasons.

Boardman qualified for the playoffs in 1987, 1990, 95, 99, 2001, 07, 09, 11, 15, 17, 18 & 2020. Mooney qualified in 9 of those seasons, played for a state championship in 4 of them and won 3 state championships in those same 12 seasons. The Spartans best season in terms of playoff success was 1987 when they finished as D1 runner-up.

The following are Mooney's records in Boardman's playoff seasons.

1987 - Mooney finished 12-1 D3 state champion
1990 - Mooney finished 11-2, lost in D3 semis
1995 - Mooney finished 10-2, lost in D4 regional final
1999 - Mooney finished 12-2 lost in D4 semis
2001 - Mooney finished winless (I count the Ursuline forfeit as a loss)
2007 - Mooney finished 14-1, D4 runner-up
2009 - Mooney finished 15-0 D3 state champion
2011 - Mooney finished 11-3 D3 state champion
2015 - Mooney finished 4-5 (Boardman finished 6-5)
2017 - Mooney finished 7-5, (lost to eventual state champion Big Red in 2nd round of D4 playoffs, 19-14) (Boardman finished 6-5)
2018 - Mooney finished 4-6 (Boardman finished 6-5)
2020 - Mooney finished 2-6, lost in 2nd round (Boardman finished 4-4)

I don't think the 2015, 17, 18 & 2020 seasons can be considered among Boardman's best but they were playoff seasons for them.

In addition I personally consider the 1985 & 86 Boardman teams to be among their best even though the Spartans did not qualify with 9-1 and 8-2 records respectively. Mooney qualified both of those years and finished as the D2 runner-up in 1985 with an 11-2 record.

Also, I believe the vast majority of kids from Boardman that attended Mooney over the years were from St. Charles not Boardman public schools.
1987 and 1990 were such strong SVC years. 1990, if I am correct, the entire conference made the playoffs. That was under the 4 teams per region system as well.

1987, Fitch was the bottom with close losses to everyone. 3-0 to Mentor, 3-0 to Boardman (D-1 runner-up), 7-3 to Mooney (State Champs), 21-16 to Ursuline, and Massillon by a TD (can't recall score). A play here or there, and Fitch is a play-off team too. WGH and WWR were separate and not SVC team yet. Fitch beat WWR that year, Canton McKinley, Chaney, Glenville.

As for the future of Boardman, all public schools have to have the right staff and leadership in place so that kids don't leave for football reasons. You aren't keeping kids who have families that want to attend a Catholic school. The kids who leave simply for a better football program are the ones that hurt a public school.

I know of a QB who went to Boardman K-8 who is now at Ursuline as I think a freshman or possibly sophomore.

Ytown I think historically you are accurate that back in the day most "Boardman" kids who played at Mooney attended Catholic middle schools. I did hear from more than one person though that Ursuline has very recently poached several of Boardman's kids who were in public school their entire academic career then left prior to or after their freshman year. I don't know if that says anything or proves anything just an observance. For as diverse as that community has become you would think they would be able to field teams the same caliber as Austintown.

I can't speak to the Ursuline situation and Mooney has certainly gotten some kids from the Boardman public schools but the vast majority that went to Mooney were from St. Charles. In any case Boardman has to look in the mirror and ask why are those kids leaving? I agree they should be on a par with Fitch but keep in mind that Austintown does have open enrollment, correct?

@YTOWN Yes, Fitch has open enrollment. Boardman on paper is closed enrollment but in actuality is either open to adjacent districts or makes a lot of exceptions. Because I know of students that live on the South side and cornersburg area that should be YCS but go to Boardman, these students reside close to the line and get on the bus with neighbors who are living legitimately in Boardman school district. Then there are some who formerly lived in Boardman school district who now live in Youngstown that are allowed to continue attending Boardman.

1987 and 1990 were such strong SVC years. 1990, if I am correct, the entire conference made the playoffs. That was under the 4 teams per region system as well.

1987, Fitch was the bottom with close losses to everyone. 3-0 to Mentor, 3-0 to Boardman (D-1 runner-up), 7-3 to Mooney (State Champs), 21-16 to Ursuline, and Massillon by a TD (can't recall score). A play here or there, and Fitch is a play-off team too. WGH and WWR were separate and not SVC team yet. Fitch beat WWR that year, Canton McKinley, Chaney, Glenville.

As for the future of Boardman, all public schools have to have the right staff and leadership in place so that kids don't leave for football reasons. You aren't keeping kids who have families that want to attend a Catholic school. The kids who leave simply for a better football program are the ones that hurt a public school.

That is correct. In fact the SVC only had two losses the entire season to OOC teams. Ursuline lost 10-7 to Hoban in OT & Mooney lost to Richfield Revere in the D3 semis. Technically Harding was in the SVC but not eligible for the title until 91 and did not play all of the other SVC teams in the regular season. The Raiders finished as undefeated D1 state champions.

Mooney's only loss in the regular season was 17-16 to Boardman in OT. Fitch lost to Harding & Mooney 22-21 in OT. Ursuline lost to Boardman, Fitch, Mooney and the aforementioned Hoban. Boardman's lone loss was in week 10 to Fitch. I have never seen a team as amped up as that Fitch team was. They came out on the field and just went stupid. They were beating the hell out of each other. It didn't look like they cared at all about Boardman. The Spartans never knew what hit them and lost 38-0. Boardman was 9-0 coming in.

Then in the playoffs Harding beat Boardman and Fitch, after Fitch took out St. Ignatius in round one, and the Raiders won it all. Mooney beat Ursuline in round one and Lake Catholic in round two but lost that semifinal game to Revere.

You hit the nail on the head. Why would any junior high athlete chose Boardman over Ursuline? There isn't one reasonable argument to be made. It is rare for a JH athlete in the Austintown school system to go to Ursuline. Because Fitch has a strong, serious program. Boardman's program is completely unserious. And until they get serious, they'll continue to lose kids to Ursuline and Mooney. I know boardman posters love to paint the picture that Ursuline coaches are in Boardman players' living rooms. But the reality is their program offers no reasons for kids to go there-- not because of "recruiting."

You hit the nail on the head. Why would any junior high athlete chose Boardman over Ursuline? There isn't one reasonable argument to be made. It is rare for a JH athlete in the Austintown school system to go to Ursuline. Because Fitch has a strong, serious program. Boardman's program is completely unserious. And until they get serious, they'll continue to lose kids to Ursuline and Mooney. I know boardman posters love to paint the picture that Ursuline coaches are in Boardman players' living rooms. But the reality is their program offers no reasons for kids to go there-- not because of "recruiting."
I believe that the accusations of "recruiting" may be overblown but it does happen. It is more subtle than people think, a friend of the family, or a kid from a travel baseball team you know reaches out. I do think Boardman does have reasons for kids to stay. Their stadium is first rate and it is THEIR stadium. Their weight room and other facilities are also quality (I have heard, I have never been inside of anything but their stadium). I know when coach Ogilvie was there they were really trending in the right directions (numbers up, weight room attendance solid, etc.). That seems to be the last time there was a buzz or excitement about the program.

Fitch went through it for a while as well. Not only private schools, but open enrollment too. If kids are leaving because of football (or any sport) that is "preventable."

I believe that the accusations of "recruiting" may be overblown but it does happen. It is more subtle than people think, a friend of the family, or a kid from a travel baseball team you know reaches out. I do think Boardman does have reasons for kids to stay. Their stadium is first rate and it is THEIR stadium. Their weight room and other facilities are also quality (I have heard, I have never been inside of anything but their stadium). I know when coach Ogilvie was there they were really trending in the right directions (numbers up, weight room attendance solid, etc.). That seems to be the last time there was a buzz or excitement about the program.
What you are saying isn't "incorrect," but do kids care about the weight room and the stadium over winning? A stadium and great weight room for a 2-8 team doesn't mean diddly poo. Those should be reasons why you aren't 2-8. In the college ranks, coaches sell that idea all the time when they get somewhere new. It works...as long as 2 years later you are winning. Create the buzz (Coach Prime), then win. If Colorado is still below .500 in 2025, the buzz will be gone. Who is creating the buzz at Boardman?

Need the right coach but because of teachers contract they can’t pay enough to bring the better guys in, also agree losing some better players to mostly Ursuline now a days.
How much difference are we talking here?? The better guys? Like whom? Not being a contrarian, I am legitimately asking if other schools are paying significantly more money and that is keeping coaches from touching Boardman.

How much difference are we talking here?? The better guys? Like whom? Not being a contrarian, I am legitimately asking if other schools are paying significantly more money and that is keeping coaches from touching Boardman.
Many schools cap the amount of experience you can bring with you when hired to 5 years. That means that if you are a teacher with 22 years experience you will take a huge hit when it comes to pay because you are only being paid as if it is your 5th year. That can be $10,000-$20,000 or more depending on the districts pay scale.

Mark Brungard and Sean Guiriero's names were both mentioned the last time that the Boardman job was open but if either of them came to teach at Boardman they would take a huge cut in teaching salary. Coaching salary is not that much to begin with and it ranges roughly from 5-10k depending on district.

Many schools cap the amount of experience you can bring with you when hired to 5 years. That means that if you are a teacher with 22 years experience you will take a huge hit when it comes to pay because you are only being paid as if it is your 5th year. That can be $10,000-$20,000 or more depending on the districts pay scale.
That makes sense why the money difference then. Seems like a bad policy in my opinion, but I guess it helps keep costs down. Budgets are tight.

Mark Brungard and Sean Guiriero's names were both mentioned the last time that the Boardman job was open but if either of them came to teach at Boardman they would take a huge cut in teaching salary. Coaching salary is not that much to begin with and it ranges roughly from 5-10k depending on district.
Some schools pay the head high school varisty football coach as much as $15-20,000. I know in the case of Canfield, Mike Pavlansky no longer teaches history at the high school and is only a coach, but I think he gets paid on the higher end for a public school coach. Also I don't know what the case is anymore bit Canfield formerly paid some of their teachers quite a bit, I knew of several teachers that had been there around 40 years or more that made around $90-100,000 when they retired. Then some teachers started doing the retire, rehire thing, which is kind of like double dipping from how it was explained to me.

I know of a QB who went to Boardman K-8 who is now at Ursuline as I think a freshman or possibly sophomore.
Sophomore. To be fair though, his dad is an alumnus of Ursuline and has coached the Irish in the past.

Sophomore. To be fair though, his dad is an alumnus of Ursuline and has coached the Irish in the past.
I think his dad specializes in coaching strength and conditioning and lifting weights and such if I remember correctly. I think the boy's name is Landon.

Last edited:
Talking to get a coach that is a teacher to bring in which is ideal, Boardman starts new teachers regardless of years in the profession in the bottom tier per contract. Schools that are serious give most coaches that teach tenure