Future of Boardman Football

I think his dad specializes in coaching strength and conditioning and lifting weights and such if I remember correctly. I think the boy's name is Landon.
You are correct on all counts. He also has coached football at Ursuline and jr high/ youth ball too.

Mark Brungard and Sean Guiriero's names were both mentioned the last time that the Boardman job was open but if either of them came to teach at Boardman they would take a huge cut in teaching salary. Coaching salary is not that much to begin with and it ranges roughly from 5-10k depending on district.
Also, neither of them applied for it, so that’s also important.

I think a lot of kids from the city of Boardman do end up in the parochial system. Most of them start in the parochial system though and that’s important because that’s not really poaching or recruiting somebody. The other ones that go mostly still have ties to Ursuline or Mooney. But every once in a while, you lose a kid that has no ties that definitely was recruited from the middle school game. It happens in every town around here. It’s not a Boardman exclusive thing.
Boardman needs a good coaching hire. They did not do it the last time and there’s no hope they’re going to do it the next time.

Build a culture of winning and kids will stay in Boardman for football. Until that happens they’ll remain second tier and 6-4 will continue to be looked at as a good year.

The family lived in North Lima for a few years before moving to Boardman.
Their new house actually is a Poland mailing address I think and very close to the border with Poland and Springfield school district if I am not mistaken. It is off Western Reserve Rd by I-680.

Holy crap, are we stalking this family? Over football? Why do we care so much?
My interaction actually had nothing to do with football, someone I know really well lives next door to him, and I have several friends from church that live in the neighborhood.

I think the demographics of the school-aged kids in the community have just fallen off a cliff, no? Look at all the extra-curriculars, band, etc.

The other thing is the current Boardman athletic teams are competing against less competition than what the kids in the previous 2 decades competed in, especially the Federal League era Spartans. Olympic sports did very well. The boys track team won 3 successive *Federal League* track championships in the mid/late 2000s. Girls basketball always competed. The boys underachieved but had Cardillo been still able to be an administrator and coach he likely would have done well with those 07-10 teams. Tennis was usually in the upper half of the Fed and won the league outright in 07. Football under Ogilvie was mid-pack at worst and increasingly a factor. Boardman usually finished 3rd or 4th in the All-Sports trophy, and that was a league full of similarly sized/demographic schools.

Boardman arguably ramped up their athletic programs right as they got into the Fed and outside of girls hoops all required an adjustment period but by year 2-3 they were just fine in the league. But it almost seemed like the move to the AAC was a white flag of surrender as much as it was about travel costs.

Boardman, IMO, is just resting on their laurels, while schools like Ursuline are rebranding themselves and putting serious weight into their academics and athletics. It's not just the football program that is thriving at Ursuline. They're not just getting Boardman families, or Canfield/Poland, they're getting Mooney families!

@BHSspartans13 The Boardman Tennis team in 2007 had some very good players...
Bryant Salcedo (later played professionally) and his brother Robert Salcedo
Scott Warden the son of the guy that used to own the Boardman Tennis Centre
Chris Lesson
Matt (Can't remember his last name)
Anthony Tesone

I think it is often easy to blame coaching or coaches, but from the rumor mill (which is sometimes accurate sometimes way off) I have heard that there is little support for the program from administration. In many school districts all football coaches get last period planning so they can get into the weight room or down to the field early to get practice set up or to meet as a staff. My understanding is that little things like that just don't happen in Spartanland. There are lots of ways an administration can do little things that add up to a lot in the end, but if the rumor mill is at all accurate coaches in Boardman do not get that support.

I think it is often easy to blame coaching or coaches, but from the rumor mill (which is sometimes accurate sometimes way off) I have heard that there is little support for the program from administration. In many school districts all football coaches get last period planning so they can get into the weight room or down to the field early to get practice set up or to meet as a staff. My understanding is that little things like that just don't happen in Spartanland. There are lots of ways an administration can do little things that add up to a lot in the end, but if the rumor mill is at all accurate coaches in Boardman do not get that support.
Obviously this is true if the administration wanted to win they’d address the tenure policy in negotiations that would allow to bring in more experienced and qualified candidates

Obviously this is true if the administration wanted to win they’d address the tenure policy in negotiations that would allow to bring in more experienced and qualified candidates

What tenure policy ? Legally nothing stops them from hiring coaches from other schools who have tenure there. It transfers .

What tenure policy ? Legally nothing stops them from hiring coaches from other schools who have tenure there. It transfers .
This is simply not true. It is in most schools union contracts that they can only pay a certain number of years. It is supposed to be a cost saving measure but often it is the teachers union that wants it and enforces it. I know two coaches in the area who turned down jobs once they saw how much of a pay cut they would have to take because of the contract at the school that wanted to hire them.

Per teachers contract years transfer towards retirement but must start at as a tier 1 teachers salary

This is simply not true. It is in most schools union contracts that they can only pay a certain number of years. It is supposed to be a cost saving measure but often it is the teachers union that wants it and enforces it. I know two coaches in the area who turned down jobs once they saw how much of a pay cut they would have to take because of the contract at the school that wanted to hire them.

Both you and gotti are confusing a legal issue, with a pay question. Tenure is a job protection issue under state law. A teacher with tenure can not be fired except for cause and that must be proven in legal proceedings. It transfers from one district to another without exception.

Pay is a separate issue and may be controlled by language in the union contract. However most pay issues depend on the starting rate of pay multiplied by the index level the teacher in question had at one district versus what the index level is at the new district Those indexes may not be the same.. Has nothing to do with tenure. Depending on years of experience it may also involve whether the teacher gets longevity pay which kicks in after years of service. One district may have it and another may not or years involved are different. Coaching contracts are limited contracts, also known as supplemental sand here again they are often indexed off the base teacher salary Thus, a coach may not make as much when the starting rate is compared with both districts, the index value of the step and salary column (Bachelor, Masters, etc.) of both districts, difference in longevity pay and pay rate for the supplemental coach pay is all added up. Those are all issues that can be and are negotiated at each school contract.

Per teachers contract years transfer towards retirement but must start at as a tier 1 teachers salary

Nonsense. Public school teachers are covered under STRS and all years of service transfer to a public school. Parochial may have a different system, but in public schools, “tier 1” would not exist and if it did , would be negotiable. Define “tier1”.

BTW, Boardman is one of the higher paying systems in the area for teacher pay, off of which coaches pay is based.

Nonsense. Public school teachers are covered under STRS and all years of service transfer to a public school. Parochial may have a different system, but in public schools, “tier 1” would not exist and if it did , would be negotiable. Define “tier1”.

BTW, Boardman is one of the higher paying systems in the area for teacher pay, off of which coaches pay is based.
Its pretty clear you have no clue how educators are paid. Teachers work on a Tiered salary system. You get a raise each year you stay in a district. Most teachers refer to these as steps. Yes a coach will receive the full coaches stipend and their years will count toward retirement. However, if the coach leaves their current district and takes a job at Boardman they will be paid the same amount as a first year teacher, step 1, even if they have 30 years teaching (a few district don't have this, many can start a teacher as high as step 5 which is 5 years experience). That is covered by the teachers contract and cannot be negotiated. This makes it so that it is impossible to lure an experienced coach from another district to teach in your district and coach because they would go from step 14 (or whatever they are at) back to step 1 which could be a huge pay cut no matter how good the district pay scale. Where my kids went to school step 1 is roughly $39,000 a year, the highest step is $84,000 but can go up if the teacher has a masters degree, and even more if they continue to pile up master hours. I truly believe that to build a winning program and retain players the coach needs to be in the building. Boardman will always have a hard time recruiting experienced coaches/teachers if they can only start them at step 1.

Its pretty clear you have no clue how educators are paid. Teachers work on a Tiered salary system. You get a raise each year you stay in a district. Most teachers refer to these as steps. Yes a coach will receive the full coaches stipend and their years will count toward retirement. However, if the coach leaves their current district and takes a job at Boardman they will be paid the same amount as a first year teacher, step 1, even if they have 30 years teaching (a few district don't have this, many can start a teacher as high as step 5 which is 5 years experience). That is covered by the teachers contract and cannot be negotiated. This makes it so that it is impossible to lure an experienced coach from another district to teach in your district and coach because they would go from step 14 (or whatever they are at) back to step 1 which could be a huge pay cut no matter how good the district pay scale. Where my kids went to school step 1 is roughly $39,000 a year, the highest step is $84,000 but can go up if the teacher has a masters degree, and even more if they continue to pile up master hours. I truly believe that to build a winning program and retain players the coach needs to be in the building. Boardman will always have a hard time recruiting experienced coaches/teachers if they can only start them at step 1.
Thank you, the guy is a legend in his own mind

Looking at the Boardman teacher contract. It says that the board and district gives up to 10 years of experience for salary placement.
ARTICLE VI SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS 6.01 Placement on Salary Schedule A maximum of ten years credit shall be granted for experience gained in school systems other than Boardman. It is the Board's prerogative to grant any number of years credit between what the ORC requires and the maximum as set forth on this section. 6.011 Members of the Employee Unit shall be issued written contracts and written notices of salary in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code. The board may not give any and if that true, they deserve to get crappy coaches and teams.

Early 2000's I believe Boardman switched leagues and has never been the same. They used to have good seasons and players that went to the NFL.

If the current state of Boardman football is tracking down the addresses of players at opposing schools and blaming teachers contracts, I am not sure the future is bright for the Spartans. I know it is water under the bridge at this point, but the demise of the old SVC (Boardman, Fitch, Harding, Mooney, and Ursuline) was such a loss for the valley but also a loss for the individual schools. I hope Boardman can right the ship.

Early 2000's I believe Boardman switched leagues and has never been the same. They used to have good seasons and players that went to the NFL.
My cousin Corey Linsley and friend Steve Vallos both went to Boardman and later played in the NFL. Does Boardman have any NFL players since my cousin graduated?

Jack Erickson - Ursuline
AJ Snyder - Ursuline
Blake Daniels - Ursuline
Angelo Angellili - Ursuline
Kingston Powell - Mooney
Asaunte Mickle - Chaney

All were prominent in the Boardman Jr High Program. Erickson, Snyder and Mickle arguably the best in their class leaving to go elsewhere. When your top player in 3/4 years doesn't stay it's hard to build a program. Unfortunately the fix is winning because kids only see easy quick fixes. There are not a lot of Boardman legacy families from the 80s/90s. That means there's a lot families not loyal to Boardman that come through so the decision of trying to build Boardman back or go to already green pastures becomes a lot easier. Not saying that Boardman does the best job of trying to keep kids but the days of Gary Smith where the coaching was bad but all the talent that stayed made up for it are over. There's only a limited amount of talent in this area now and in this day and age of open enrollment coupled with successful parochial schools the rich get richer. Winning is the fix, and I don't know how to fix that overnight.

The answer is for Boardman to stop playing local privates. Why continue to have resources (coaching/playing time) on kids who are leaving? Mooney is multiple divisions higher. Ursuline beats you with your own…

It’s ou are partially correctpretty clear you have no clue how educators are paid. Teachers work on a Tiered salary system. You get a raise each year you stay in a district. Most teachers refer to these as steps. Yes a coach will receive the full coaches stipend and their years will count toward retirement. However, if the coach leaves their current district and takes a job at Boardman they will be paid the same amount as a first year teacher, step 1, even if they have 30 years teaching (a few district don't have this, many can start a teacher as high as step 5 which is 5 years experience). That is covered by the teachers contract and cannot be negotiated. This makes it so that it is impossible to lure an experienced coach from another district to teach in your district and coach because they would go from step 14 (or whatever they are at) back to step 1 which could be a huge pay cut no matter how good the district pay scale. Where my kids went to school step 1 is roughly $39,000 a year, the highest step is $84,000 but can go up if the teacher has a masters degree, and even more if they continue to pile up master hours. I truly believe that to build a winning program and retain players the coach needs to be in the building. Boardman will always have a hard time recruiting experienced coaches/teachers if they can only start them at step 1.

Y
Looking at the Boardman teacher contract. It says that the board and district gives up to 10 years of experience for salary placement.
ARTICLE VI SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS 6.01 Placement on Salary Schedule A maximum of ten years credit shall be granted for experience gained in school systems other than Boardman. It is the Board's prerogative to grant any number of years credit between what the ORC requires and the maximum as set forth on this section. 6.011 Members of the Employee Unit shall be issued written contracts and written notices of salary in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code. The board may not give any and if that true, they deserve to get crappy coaches and teams

This is correct. The two clowns above don’t know their butts. No one gets placed on the first step of the salary schedule when transferring in. Tenure isn’t involved with salary placement. Using a standard teacher salary schedule, you may have columns identified as Bachelors , bachelors + (usually 150 total semester hours but could be different), a Masters column followed by a Masters + column if they have one. Each year of each column advances the teacher a step higher and that is based on an index schedule. Usually, depending on a contract it takes 10- 15 years to get to the top salary of each column. At that point the only increases may come if there are longevity steps , say at 20, 25 or more years service. The other way a top salary increases is if the base salary increases from a negotiated new contract calling for raises.

As noted, Boardman gives at LEAST 10 years placement ona salary schedule. That is the minimum . None of this step 1 BS that is being doled out as misinformation.. In addition, it is the Boards “Perogative “ to give MORE years of service if it wishes. The index schedule for pay is negotiable but typically is around a 5% adjustment each year and as an example, the begining Bachelors, step 1 is 1.0 on the index. The next years step is a 1.05 and etc for eaach succeeding year. Ultimately teachers try for index schedules that Double the beginning pay in as few years as possible to get to the top salary. Read some area teacher master contracts. Some clowns on here might actually learn something.

And did I mention Boardman is one of the higher paying districts in the area. Boardman COULD hire a good coach at an attractive salary. In the case of a area coach with a lot of years or one from a wealthy metro district in Cleveland, Columbus or Cincy , it is possible he might have to take a pay cut for the job, but it would be minimal and quickly recovered as new contracts are negotiated or he qualifies for longevity steps as his years of experience goes up.

Bythe way,we are talking here about PUBLIC school experience . Boards do NOT have to r3cognize experience from parochial schools. And that is as it should be.

Last edited:
ORC says a teacher switching districts gets @ minimum step 5 & max step 10. That’s pretty bad in most cases. Maybe if u r going from a district with a bad step schedule, like boardman, to a good one. But u r going to lose money if u have a lot of years experience. Terrible career move to leave your real job for a supplemental that pays less than minimum wage considering the time. BTW, tenure does not transfer. It is granted by the local board based on their policy. Usually u need @ least 3 years in house & a masters degree. Plus u get more raises as a teacher the more education u have. Another reason it’s hard for experienced people to leave. Teachers have very little room to make lateral career moves. Basically after 5 years, u better be were u want to be or plan on taking a pay cut.