Finneytown vs McNicholas

Watched parts of the game on waycross....please let the Finneytown student announcer know that lateral movement by the goalie is allowed on PKs....Thanks for the link WX dude...

Did that rule change recently?
I am not disputing that this is the rule now. I really don't keep up with the rules changes as I should. Thanks for telling me about that.

When I played (and we were dodging dinosaurs and avoiding swooping pterodactyls) the rule was that the keeper had to keep his heels on the line until the ball was kicked. The keeper could bounce around the net until the referee blew the whistle. Then the keeper had to keep his heels on the line!

Both the announcers were soccer coaches and one was an official until recently. They tell me that's the way the rules were and were not aware of the change.

I'd love to have student announcers, but no one steps up to the plate! :)

See ya
Tony

Did that rule change recently?
I am not disputing that this is the rule now. I really don't keep up with the rules changes as I should. Thanks for telling me about that.

When I played (and we were dodging dinosaurs and avoiding swooping pterodactyls) the rule was that the keeper had to keep his heels on the line until the ball was kicked. The keeper could bounce around the net until the referee blew the whistle. Then the keeper had to keep his heels on the line!

Both the announcers were soccer coaches and one was an official until recently. They tell me that's the way the rules were and were not aware of the change.

I'd love to have student announcers, but no one steps up to the plate! :)

See ya
Tony

This rule has been changed for quite a while now. Honestly, it didn't sound like either of them knew the rules. No offense to them, but they weren't that great to listen to. I had to shut down the sound.

I would love to announce for you, but I am busy reffing my own games.

I believe the law was amended (if that's what FIFA does) in 1997. Goalies may move laterally, but can't come "off the line" until the ball is struck. (Of course, that didn't stop Brianna Scurry in the Women's World Cup championship game.)

WX Dude, Thanks for all your hard work getting soccer games televised and such...the soccer community greatly appreciates it!

thanks WX Dude for posting the link. I was not at the game, but after watching it I gotta give mad props to Finneytown. They were so unlucky and handed McNick a gift. A goal is a goal and a win is a win but come on McNick, you have to admit that Finneytown handed you that game....Hopefully in their next game McNick will at least put one of their own goals in to win the game. I'm picking them to come out as district champs.

I disagree. Shooting a ball and it hitting a puddle of water.mud and stopping would be considered unlucky in my POV. A shot taken that barely nics off a defender and hits the wood work is unlucky to me. A keeper diving to save a ball before it was deflected by a defender is unlucky. Plenty of things are unlucky. Now a one v one on goal that gets shanked is not unlucky, pure lack of concentration/skill.

ok ill agree with that. mcnick's goal (ft's own goal) was not unlucky tho. i respect smoker and doubt he ever whiffs like he did tuesday night...it wasnt a lack of skill, but he did have a lapse in concentration. it wasnt unlucky.

defently not unlucky, he should of just stopped the ball before kicking it anyway, it was his fault. and you never know what would of happened if they didnt get an own goal, mcnick might of played more aggresive and scored anyway, so u cant say mcnick would of lost if it werent for the own goal.

Hmm... I'm suprised that we haven't heard anything from eplfan about all this hullaballoo. I would think he would have something to say about his beloved Wildcats. Oh and where was Sandmann? I thought he was the truth.

Agreed. both teams were able to neutralize key players. FT man marked him throughout the entire game. McNick doubled or even tripled up on Rockozy (srry still havent gotten his name right) to shut him down.

defently not unlucky, he should of just stopped the ball before kicking it anyway, it was his fault. and you never know what would of happened if they didnt get an own goal, mcnick might of played more aggresive and scored anyway, so u cant say mcnick would of lost if it werent for the own goal.

I agree, Smoker had a lapse in judgement. But it still doesn't change the fact that McNick was served up a game on a silver platter. In the video I saw, it looked like they played hard, but they didn't have many chances on goal. So yes, I can say that they would have lost if it weren't for the gift. A team that only plays more aggressive when they are losing is a sorry team. My coach would rip us if we only played better when we were down. Why can't you just acknowledge the fact that you were fortunate to get that first goal and it allowed you to win? Again, congrats on moving on though. That's what this tourney is about.

yes mcnick was fortunate. sure they were served a win on a silver platter...that was such a nice gift from finneytown. finneytown had more chances, didnt do much of anything with them tho. sent many balls over and wide of the goal.

I agree, Smoker had a lapse in judgement. But it still doesn't change the fact that McNick was served up a game on a silver platter. In the video I saw, it looked like they played hard, but they didn't have many chances on goal. So yes, I can say that they would have lost if it weren't for the gift. A team that only plays more aggressive when they are losing is a sorry team. My coach would rip us if we only played better when we were down. Why can't you just acknowledge the fact that you were fortunate to get that first goal and it allowed you to win? Again, congrats on moving on though. That's what this tourney is about.

oh and finneytown must be a "sorry team" since it took them an own goal to get fired up.

McNick played as aggressive as they could. That is a weak statement to say they would have played harder if there was no own goal.

Smoker made a very nice save on the ONLY shot on goal that Mcnick had. They had no shots on frame during the entire second half and all of overtime, and I know they were not packing it in because why would their strategy be to go to OT and penalties? I realize the end result was that McNick advanced on penalties but I highly doubt that their coach was content with them getting shelled the way they were during the majority of the match without attempting to form an attack of their own.

Bottom line is they could not do anything at all offensively against Finneytown's defense and the midfield pretty much went to Finneytown's advantage as well. McNick did a nice job containing Rakoczy with 3 guys, but Finneytown still had several good opportunities. Carlascio made a couple nice saves and there were some near misses. As far as Sandmann being the truth, the "truth" is he was shut down by a Sophomore. He is a good player I will give him that but he didn't create anything and was shut down.

How about that acting job by McNick's #21? Diving after he faked getting elbowed? If you have not seen it tune in to the replay it is during the 1st OT. It was not very classy and I would be embarrassed for him if I were his teammates.

McNick advanced...congrats to them. They did not deserve to win the match though and anyone that saw the match live or on video should tell the same story. Unfortunately for Finneytown the better team does not always win. Good luck to McNick. You guys should beat Oakwood but if you do good luck to you against Watterson or Bexley because if you play to tie or rely on an own goal then you will be in some trouble.

Last edited:
oh and finneytown must be a "sorry team" since it took them an own goal to get fired up.

It didn't take the own goal to get them fired up....they leveled the score after the own goal but were playing hard from the whistle. Not sure of your point here.

It didn't take the own goal to get them fired up....they leveled the score after the own goal but were playing hard from the whistle. Not sure of your point here.

finneytown had 0 shots on goal before their own goal. so yea, it took an own goal to get them fired up. they scored on their first shot of the game and that was it. i wouldnt call that controlling the game either.

You wanted to hear from me so here it is :)

I would have to agree with everything acmilan has said. The back three for McNick were amazing, the best Finneytown has seen all season. Rakoczy did not have as much room as he normally does when he has the ball, but I think he did an excellent job of giving the ball up to his team mates. He fed some sick balls, as well as pulled some sick moves. Rakoczy did compliment the back three at the end of the game.

I was dissappointed in Sandmann's play, however. He is not all that he is hyped to be. He is a great player, don't get me wrong. I just don't think that "the truth" is the best name to place on him.

Now, on to Smoker. I feel sorry for the guy that he had to go out like that. He is a great keeper, and it showed his whole career. Mistakes happen. That's all I have to say about him. As for the goal itself, it was a great break for McNick. However, I disagree that the goal was the point where Finneytown started playing. Finneytown was dominating play from the first whistle till the goal, and continued to press after that.

I have no comment on the dive, for none is needed.

Both teams were amazing and it was a great battle to watch. McNick ended up coming out on top in penalty kicks, and that is that. Finneytown has no excuses for losing. Lack of finishing on a penalty kick is unexcusable in my opinion.

As for my beloved wildcats, we will be back next year, only losing 3 starters. I cannot see them losing many games next year.

Good luck, McNick.

You wanted to hear from me so here it is :)
I was dissappointed in Sandmann's play, however. He is not all that he is hyped to be. He is a great player, don't get me wrong. I just don't think that "the truth" is the best name to place on him.

"The Truth" is obviously an exageration that could only really be used to label a soccer super-star. What you must remember is that anyone who watched the game that had not seen Smoker play before would say the same thing: not all he is cracked up to be. Both players are much better than what they displayed Tuesday night. Its not really fair to formulate an opinion on a player after seeing them play once, but I doubt you'd want to make the trek to Franklin on Saturday at 5 :) . I guess the only chance left to see them play together is the All-City game (even though they'll be playing on the same team). Seems like D II should have a better team this year... but I guess thats for another thread.

As for the dive... yeah. That was some good drama :rolleyes:

yea u can def not pass judgment on joey "da truth" sandmann based on one game in the pouring rain. and when i mean play agressive, i mean play to score more than to defend. also you have to admitt regardless of how hard u can say ur playing, u always play a little bit harder when you have too. its like sure 2 teams will be playing their guts out all game, but when there is 1 min left, they will absoloutly do anything to score or whatever. and mcnick deserved to win because they did win. mcnick didnt make mistakes and finnytown did, therefore mcnick was the better team that day. simple as that

yea u can def not pass judgment on joey "da truth" sandmann based on one game in the pouring rain. and when i mean play agressive, i mean play to score more than to defend. also you have to admitt regardless of how hard u can say ur playing, u always play a little bit harder when you have too. its like sure 2 teams will be playing their guts out all game, but when there is 1 min left, they will absoloutly do anything to score or whatever. and mcnick deserved to win because they did win. mcnick didnt make mistakes and finnytown did, therefore mcnick was the better team that day. simple as that

I would have to disagree that McNick was the better team.

well mcnick won so ur wrong. the better team that day always wins, because they make the ball go in the net more, which makes them better. now if an eagle came down and blocked a FT shot, then i would consider that unlucky and say FT might have been better, but when a FT player makes a mistake thats his own fault.

All CHL teams never admitt it when the loose, the chl is so overated and they are always ranked high in everysport then lose right away in every sport when they actually have to play tough teams. get over yourselfs, mcnick won FT lost.

well mcnick won so ur wrong. the better team that day always wins, because they make the ball go in the net more, which makes them better.

Well if that's your criterion, McNick and Finneytown are still tied!

McNick made the ball go in the net 4 times (4 PK)
Finneytown made the ball go in the (opposing team's) net 4 times (1 during the game and 3 pk)
So time to get back out on the field with Finneytown! :)

Good luck in tonight's game McNick!