Finneytown vs McNicholas

soref

What are the thoughts on the Finneytown/McNicholas game tomorrow night?
The game will be played at CHCA on the turf.
This will be a game between two teams who mostly play on grass.
Will the turf be a factor for either team?
How has each team handled playing on turf this year?
Not just if they have won or lost, but how their game may be different than playing on grass.
I figured with the amount of Finnetown people who usually post on here we would have been hearing a little about this game already.

FYI - I am not on this game, so that is not why I am asking.

Saw McNick play New Richmond, and although NR is no Finneytown, McNick played well. One thing I saw was that they looked like they were trying to go to goal way too much. Too many flick ons and not nearly enough cool headed posession. This may have been due to the fact that it was NR, and they were trying to score a lot of goals. They are a very talented group of kids and I look for them to put on a good show. I haven't seen Finneytown play so I can't really say anything about them.

joey sandmann continues to be the truth, and the chl continues to be the most overated conference ever in every sport. mcnicks defence and keeper is crazy good, and now they are starting to bring in the goals. i think they win 2-0 or 3-1. something like that. CHL=overated

they will. here is what i believe the score will be.

Finneytown 2
McNick 0

Smoker will take the career shut out record for Finneytown High School and Finneytown will be moving on. McNick will not be able to score on Finneytown's defense, and will also not be able to contain the offense. I think that McNick will dominate in the midfield, if Finneytown's midfielders don't pick it up.

they will. here is what i believe the score will be.

Finneytown 2
McNick 0

Smoker will take the career shut out record for Finneytown High School and Finneytown will be moving on. McNick will not be able to score on Finneytown's defense, and will also not be able to contain the offense. I think that McNick will dominate in the midfield, if Finneytown's midfielders don't pick it up.

Little cocky here eplfan. It will be a good match by two very well played teams. A great game to watch!

I hate to admit it, but I'm picking Mcnick. If the refs are lenient, Mcnick will get away with their scrappy play and fouls...which will most likely lead to goals.

McNick play rough ball which borders on dirty. If the refs let the game go ugly, Finneytown will have to keep their cool, play their game, and stay out of yellow card trouble. This is something with which they've struggled in the past.

McNick also plays in the GCL against a level of competition that Finneytown rarely sees.

Prediction: Finneytown's defense will hold for another shutout. If their offense plays their game, gets a breakaway, or scores off a set piece, FT wins 1-0 or 2-0. If McNick figures out good defense, it's a shootout.

Last edited:
I believe Finneytown will win 1-0 of some sort of set piece. Which they are at times very dangerous. Finneytown has a stingy defense that can show flaws at time but its mainly due to the inexpirence, but Smoker will keep them in the game.

A very well played game by both teams. Though mcnick came out victorious I believe finneytown was the better team. Mcnicks goal wasn't legit. Mistakes on defense happen and here smoker just miss hit the ball. Finneytown lost this game; Mcnick didn't win.
Applause to mcnick for the result. Applause to finneytown for a great season. Good luck to both schools next year.

game smoker will want to forget....FT was scored on a pass back to smoker with no one w/in 20 yards, smoker tries to bomb the ball and miskicks it sending the ball spinning into his own net...pk's FT should have won, McNick keeper had a nice save and one of FT's players missed one but McNick hit the post on the first one and the 4th and 5th McNick Penalties should have been saved by smoker (the 5th one went through his hands)..really unfortunate for FT, from what i heard (i didn't show up till 2OT so don't hold me to this) FT played well, have to think weather had something to do with smoker's miskick and trouble handling ball, really unfortunate way for a great keeper to end his career...congrats to McNick and good luck as you continue on

Was not a pretty game on either side... but i would say a goal is a goal. Its too bad that Smokers bad game had to come at such a bad time, but props to the kid for a great career.

McN didnt seem ready to play, but their defense certainly kept them in it. Great job on marking Rozicky (sp?... number 9), and few let downs. their first let down lead to FT's goal. great shot near post.

FT's sweep did a good job of distributing out of the back, though some would have labeled it as "kick ball." Probably had most of the possesion... always trying to find Rozicky (great player).

Glad to see that it was a clean game.. good sportsmanship from both teams for the most part. Pk's were a nail-biter... mcn came out on top. great game to watch.

A very well played game by both teams. Though mcnick came out victorious I believe finneytown was the better team. Mcnicks goal wasn't legit. Mistakes on defense happen and here smoker just miss hit the ball. Finneytown lost this game; Mcnick didn't win.
Applause to mcnick for the result. Applause to finneytown for a great season. Good luck to both schools next year.

yea mcnick caught a break with their goal, but their defense did what they needed to do to win the game. and even tho smoker had probably the worst game of his life...u cant blame him for that or say that mcnick didnt win the game. mcnick did what they had to do to win. rakoczy was one of, if not the best forwards mcnick played against all year, but their d did a good job of containing him. mcnick knows how it feels to lose in pk's, as they lost their first tourney game last year in pk's. they werent gonna let that happen again. carlascio (mcnick's keep) was pretty impressive with his clutch save and then got right up and made a pk of his own.
congrats to both.

Yea mcnick did keep rakoczy very tightly marked... And mcn did very well in pks. But you must consider that mcnick would not have had that chance if the weather wasnt so bad and that drop didnt slip off smokers foot. I stick to what i said earlier. Mcnick was not the better team in this match. Smoker is still the best keeper in cincinnati. One game wont change that.
once again congrats to both teams.

mcnick is perfectly content with moving on to the district finals rather than 'being the better team'. finneytown shouldnt have had to rely so heavily on smoker.

um throwing it out there im not a supporter of either side nor was i at the game but if they scored the way i am envisioning it it was lucky and mcnick should own up to it. you can always say 'id rather be lucky than good,' but arguing that u did what u had to do to win the game seems a little ridiculous when you get that lucky.

Why does that goal being lucky or not matter all in the end...when you look at the bracket in the next ronud it's not going to say "McNick (lucky)" it's just going to say "McNick" Its how the game works

You can watch the game here...
http://70.61.148.132/WXOD/WCT 16091.WMV
all 2 hours 26 minutes of game. :)

Once again the Waycross.tv web site is funky and is displaying many of the tournament possibilities that didn't happen instead of this game. Should be fixed later tomorrow

(It's fixed... the real link is HERE
http://www.waycross.tv/Boy_Soccer_Sectional_Final)

McNick did not score one single goal through the entire regular game nor the overtimes. Finneytown scored two goals. Unfortunately one of them was on themselves! :)

But at the end of the day...it doesn't matter. McNick moves on and plays in Franklin at 3pm Saturday. Finneytown goes home and next gets together for the Fall Sports Awards.

Great season Finneytown! Good luck McNick!

Last edited:
Watched parts of the game on waycross....please let the Finneytown student announcer know that lateral movement by the goalie is allowed on PKs....Thanks for the link WX dude...

It was a well played game by both schools. I hope that Smoker doesn't let the game tarnish what was an outstanding high school career.

My biggest frustration was that this match pointed out the only fundamental problem with soccer as a sport.

Soccer is an inherantly low-scoring game. Those who love the sport appreciate the finesse that happens between the end lines and don't need 100-98 scores like in the NBA.

Unfortunately, in a game with such low scores, one error can be fatal and the end result may not reflect who played the best game. Such was the case tonight.

Finneytown played the better ball. Period. End of story. McNick barely had any shots on goal while Finneytown had numerous. They contained Rakoczy well, but the triple teaming he drew opened up opportunities for the rest of the team and Kalimara scored the legitimate goal.

But one mistake cost Finneytown the match.

But that is the nature of the sport, and in the end all players handled themselves with dignity. I wish McNick well as they go forward in the tournament. I hope the Finneytown players hold their heads up and enjoy the memories of a great season.

WX dude, when is the game going to be aired on waycross television?

The times below are the original scheduled times when the game had a two hour time block. Since the game is 2:30 these might shift when next week's schedule is finalized tomorrow.
In Greenhills, Forest Park Springfield Twp and most of Wyoming

Channel 4 Warner Cable
TONIGHT 6:30pm (this one is set in stone)
10/29 4pm
11/2 6pm

Channel 8 (15 without a cable box)
10/30 8pm

Channel 15 (22 without a cable box)
10/27 9am

Channel 24 -- In most of greater Cincinnati (Check channel 24...if you get TV Guide Channel, you will not get this game)
10/27 3 am
Set your DVRs! Saturday Morning! :)