EBC Football 2023

The person who should get the job, won’t. This cycle will continue. Maybe next year we will try and use more that the qb to move the ball.

This is what I don’t get, and no one I sat beside could tell me. Alliance football team looked small last night. Looked like there was only possibility 40-42 football players if that. They loaded up 2 buses, probably sitting one to a seat and room for coaches to have their own seats as well. What happened to the 60-80 kids alliance use to have?

Alliance lost 5 games this year to Streetsboro, Carrollton, CCC, West Branch, and to Aurora. 4 out of the 5 just pounded the rock. How do u not find an answer to the run game on defense? Better yet it’s a playoff game “do or die” and your best 11 athletes aren’t on the field at all times. Why no Ramhir Hawkins, K’Vaughn Davis on Defense to try to help out?

The few games I got to watch of Alliance this season. I seen #33, yell and argue with his coaches and nothing happened. Last night #2 got ejected for fighting. Seen Alliance players arguing amongst themselves. To me being an outsider, I would say they wasn’t a very disciplined team.

Can someone also tell me why the second to last row on Kickoff return wasn’t allowed to touch the ball? All night against Aurora they let it bounce beside them, letting the “returners” run up to it to hopefully get it. And the one was kicked to #27 and it let it bounce and stick right beside him for Aurora to recover?

The last thing I seen from the Aviators was every time a kid came off the field to the sideline last night. There was no coaching the kids up. The assistant coaches pulled the kids to the side and just yelled at them for not “doing their job” but no coaching them up and trying to figure out a way to help them be better just yelling at them to be better. I have never seen a team shout down like Alliance did. You can tell those players was done with the game after being beat on the field and than being yelled at on the sidelines.

Bring back NW, Louisville, Dover, and Canton South. You'd have one hell of a fun conference year in and year out

They need teams like CS and Dover and Louisville along with the Indians from Northwest. Got barely little computer points from Salem and never get anything from Minerva.

when they booted Louisville it should have been Minerva to get the boot. But everyone wanted that free win on their schedule.

I remembered when the Lions beat WB in 91! The was a pretty big upset , WB was loaded with talent. I think Minerva lost to Girard in the playoffs and WB won 1 or 2 games and lost a close one to Big Red and really should have beat them. I think Louisville lost to Lake. The league was rugged back then.
That ‘91 Minerva team had an undefeated record until they got shellacked by Louisville at the old Leopard Stadium. But since Minerva beat WB and Louisville lost to WB it led to a 3-way tie with three 9-1 teams. I still have a plastic cup and ball cap from that league title year. Minerva McDonalds was including the “League Champs” cups in value meals.

That loss in OT at Girard in 1st round was disappointing. As was the loss vs Chardon up at Mollenkopf in ‘87. Minerva had some good players on those late ‘80s - early ‘90s. Leon Powell, Fankhauser brothers, Brock Drayer, Ben Stump, Jeff Morgan, Jamie Ford to name a few.

They need teams like CS and Dover and Louisville along with the Indians from Northwest. Got barely little computer points from Salem and never get anything from Minerva.

when they booted Louisville it should have been Minerva to get the boot. But everyone wanted that free win on their schedule.
If you look at where Minerva’s program has been the past 8 years this is a fair assessment. But when the decision was made to boot Louisville, Minerva’s program wasn’t in bad shape. The 2013 team was a playoff caliber team that lost several games by narrow point margins. The 2014 team led by Hartshorn was also a solid team. I agree though that at the time Louisville left Minerva had had some bad football teams but no one would have imagined the drought would last this long.

SEC committ QB at a D3 school and you go 6-5 with a first round playoff blowout loss is a terrible look
On top of that, they called all the plays to strengthen his case to be a QB. It ain’t gonna happen. Punter, kicker or at best WR. Threw the whole season away for one kid. Terrible planning, horrible execution 🤷🏾‍♂️

I remembered when the Lions beat WB in 91! The was a pretty big upset , WB was loaded with talent. I think Minerva lost to Girard in the playoffs and WB won 1 or 2 games and lost a close one to Big Red and really should have beat them. I think Louisville lost to Lake. The league was rugged back then.
Yes .a 3 way tie for the league chsmps
That ‘91 Minerva team had an undefeated record until they got shellacked by Louisville at the old Leopard Stadium. But since Minerva beat WB and Louisville lost to WB it led to a 3-way tie with three 9-1 teams. I still have a plastic cup and ball cap from that league title year. Minerva McDonalds was including the “League Champs” cups in value meals.

That loss in OT at Girard in 1st round was disappointing. As was the loss vs Chardon up at Mollenkopf in ‘87. Minerva had some good players on those late ‘80s - early ‘90s. Leon Powell, Fankhauser brothers, Brock Drayer, Ben Stump, Jeff Morgan, Jamie Ford to name a few.
I had to attend a wedding during the WB- Minerva game in ‘91. Snuck out to listen on the radio. Pretty big upset . Minerva was always tough then . The NBC might have been top heavy then but those top teams were great. WB blew away 10-0 Rayland Buckeye in the playoffs before losing a heartbreaker to Steubenville 7-6 . A late touchdown by Buster Tillman (Ohio St) was the difference.

This is what I don’t get, and no one I sat beside could tell me. Alliance football team looked small last night. Looked like there was only possibility 40-42 football players if that. They loaded up 2 buses, probably sitting one to a seat and room for coaches to have their own seats as well. What happened to the 60-80 kids alliance use to have?

Alliance lost 5 games this year to Streetsboro, Carrollton, CCC, West Branch, and to Aurora. 4 out of the 5 just pounded the rock. How do u not find an answer to the run game on defense? Better yet it’s a playoff game “do or die” and your best 11 athletes aren’t on the field at all times. Why no Ramhir Hawkins, K’Vaughn Davis on Defense to try to help out?

The few games I got to watch of Alliance this season. I seen #33, yell and argue with his coaches and nothing happened. Last night #2 got ejected for fighting. Seen Alliance players arguing amongst themselves. To me being an outsider, I would say they wasn’t a very disciplined team.

Can someone also tell me why the second to last row on Kickoff return wasn’t allowed to touch the ball? All night against Aurora they let it bounce beside them, letting the “returners” run up to it to hopefully get it. And the one was kicked to #27 and it let it bounce and stick right beside him for Aurora to recover?

The last thing I seen from the Aviators was every time a kid came off the field to the sideline last night. There was no coaching the kids up. The assistant coaches pulled the kids to the side and just yelled at them for not “doing their job” but no coaching them up and trying to figure out a way to help them be better just yelling at them to be better. I have never seen a team shout down like Alliance did. You can tell those players was done with the game after being beat on the field and than being yelled at on the sidelines.
They only used Davis and Hawkins in one game where everyone else was getting burnt (that I can remember). The coaches don’t make any adjustments on defense… “o they are pounding the ball against us, they will stop eventually”. It’s pathetic. I get zurb is a D-1 commit but he does not need to be the qb and rb. Teams knew what was coming every game. It seems the whole thought process was have a shootout and hope we can out score them. We lost a couple players due to injury but that’s where coaching comes in. We need to hire someone who can actually reach these kids and get the number up. The youth numbers seem low from what I can tell. I could be wrong but we seem to be trending down and I don’t see it stopping anytime soon. I know parents who are waiting to see how middle school shakes out and are looking to move to different cities.

Maybe they are like Salem’s coaches and yell because they themselves as coaches don’t know what to do

Everyone on here should reach out to the Athletic Directors of their local schools and see if they can volunteer as coaches. If you aren’t part of the solution you’re part of the problem.
That take is as old as time. IMO High school coaches are generally good people but and this is the big one they think they are the smartest guy in the room and nobody else could possibly know what they know. I know for fact there are guys on headphones on Friday nights that have no business being on one besides the Good ol boy network

That take is as old as time. IMO High school coaches are generally good people but and this is the big one they think they are the smartest guy in the room and nobody else could possibly know what they know. I know for fact there are guys on headphones on Friday nights that have no business being on one besides the Good ol boy network
Retired coach here. I get asked on a daily basis if I want to coach again. Almost all programs especially the struggling ones are looking for coaches. I wasn’t being cheeky. If someone has knowledge of the game and a passion to share it , they should.

Well there is knowledge out there. As for me my 9-5 takes that out of the running 2nd shift C.O’s normally don’t make ideal coaching candidates. That being said Salem I believe needs a new direction. Alliance idk enough about the situation, Minerva well who knows . WB staff is best in league, Carrollton gets the most out of their guys Marlington over about what everyone thought.
My opinion. And that’s means nothing

Well there is knowledge out there. As for me my 9-5 takes that out of the running 2nd shift C.O’s normally don’t make ideal coaching candidates. That being said Salem I believe needs a new direction. Alliance idk enough about the situation, Minerva well who knows . WB staff is best in league, Carrollton gets the most out of their guys Marlington over about what everyone thought.
Crazy how with the exception of Alliance your ratings of coaching staffs almost directly reflect the season standings. It's like good players make coaches look good or something.

Crazy how with the exception of Alliance your ratings of coaching staffs almost directly reflect the season standings. It's like good players make coaches look good or something.
Alliance struggled against good teams because they lost at the line of scrimmage. What I saw is they don't have a very good o-line or d-line. This will change the coaches game plan when you really can't run the ball or don't have much time to pass. The early expectations of a deep playoff run were probably unrealistic in hindsight.

Alliance struggled against good teams because they lost at the line of scrimmage. What I saw is they don't have a very good o-line or d-line. This will change the coaches game plan when you really can't run the ball or don't have much time to pass. The early expectations of a deep playoff run were probably unrealistic in hindsight.

Alliance did struggle at the positions you mentioned the Oline and DLine. It was mentioned a few times through out this post and all season that the Line wasn’t as great. But an Alliance coach kept posting on here “ they are doing great, they will be okay” so no nobody wanted to fix the problem.

Alliance had Nino Hill who is now at Mckinely. Alliance had Jazen Lewis who is now at Massillon. And C. Nicholson who is at Marlington now. They have all been quoted to question Goodmans coaching. Who else does Alliance have to lose athletic wise to see the problem.

I know Alliance players have tried to voice their opinions to help the team and been told that they got to know their place, when they was just trying to help for a better season

Alliance did struggle at the positions you mentioned the Oline and DLine. It was mentioned a few times through out this post and all season that the Line wasn’t as great. But an Alliance coach kept posting on here “ they are doing great, they will be okay” so no nobody wanted to fix the problem.

Alliance had Nino Hill who is now at Mckinely. Alliance had Jazen Lewis who is now at Massillon. And C. Nicholson who is at Marlington now. They have all been quoted to question Goodmans coaching. Who else does Alliance have to lose athletic wise to see the problem.

I know Alliance players have tried to voice their opinions to help the team and been told that they got to know their place, when they was just trying to help for a better season
Good info. Seems like they missed a golden opportunity to have a great team this year.

Tim Cooper mentions the importance of Jimmys and Joes a lot . He’s been blessed with them lately and he knows it. He has also done a masterful job with them. I don’t know much about Alliance but the preseason hype was this was their year to take the league and make a playoff run because they thought they had the Jimmy and Joes to do it. Certainly didn’t see them going 6-5 and losing games to teams like Carrollton and CCC. Either the hype was wrong or something else.

Tim Cooper mentions the importance of Jimmys and Joes a lot . He’s been blessed with them lately and he knows it. He has also done a masterful job with them. I don’t know much about Alliance but the preseason hype was this was their year to take the league and make a playoff run because they thought they had the Jimmy and Joes to do it. Certainly didn’t see them going 6-5 and losing games to teams like Carrollton and CCC. Either the hype was wrong or something else.
When carrollton's team is healthy they play good and tough football. Injuries did the warriors in this year. So saying teams like carrollton is bs.

When carrollton's team is healthy they play good and tough football. Injuries did the warriors in this year. So saying teams like carrollton is bs.
I don't think he was meaning that in as negative of a way as you think... If Alliance was going to come out and win the league title and make a deep run into the playoffs like they said would they not have to beat a Carrollton or CCC team whether Carrollton was 9-1 or 6-5 like they were this year?

Stepping on Carrollton’s toes was not my intention. I don’t think CCC is a bad team either , just not a team that I think would best a team like what many felt Alliance was going to be. My point was Alliance was predicted to be on par with WB or better and we know how the Carrolton/WB game went. So Alliance losing that game was considered a pretty major upset .

Last edited:
Well I don’t think it’s a coincidence that good coaching staffs get the most out of their players
Carrollton has tough kids who will run through a wall and so does WB their coaches get the absolute most out of every player. Minerva I’m not gonna beat on a down program hope they get it got in a positive direction soon. It’s no secret I’m not an Rob Jon fan here in Salem
Marlington got a big jump in win total this year
Wait and see approach there. Alliance is the one imo who year in year out I think is an underachieving team from an outsider standpoint
I mean they have some players just have some issues

Stepping on Carrollton’s toes was not my intention. I don’t think CCC is a bad team either , just not a team that I think would best a team like what many felt Alliance was going to be. My point was Alliance was predicted to be on par with WB or better and we know how the Carrolton/WB game went. So Alliance losing that game was considered a pretty major upset .
My post was not ment to be mean. Carrollton just always seems to get crapped on .

Carrollton was far from a good playoff team and beat Alliance.The league was awful this year.
I'm glad somebody else agrees, don't get me wrong by the end of the year they were playing well but anyone with knowledge of the program knew this season was going to be a tough one

You do know Salem was talked about in the likes of Sebring before Coach Johnson came in right? One down year and you’re ready to can him. My guess is he would have another job in a month. I have been lucky to have a nice run of coaches come through at WR. I appreciate them because I know how bad it was before they got here. Salem should be careful.

West Branch returns 20 of 22 starters next season and the speedy Jeremiah Thomas slides into the quarterback position. In my opinion, Thomas is the left-handed version of Dru DeShields. He's super fast and slippery outside the pocket. Their offense will look a lot like the DeShields' offense next season, where the quarterback can just take off and outrace people up the middle or on the edge when defenses commit extra players to try and stop their passing game.

I'm not close enough to the program to know what the situation was inside the building but from the outside they definitely over performed this year. I'm pretty surprised
Coach Tsilimos said that he needed a break from coaching. The daily drive from Lisbon was a factor, and spending more time with his family. I don‘t know that he is done coaching for good, but at least for now he is.

He did a great job in his 5 years at Carrollton!