EBC Football 2023

I wish WB would have faced better competition the last 3 weeks, it's not their fault but they really haven't played anyone since Ridgewood in week 4. Looks like Alliance and Carrollton could be good games. WB had a lot of excellent skilled kids returning and will be a dangerous team in the playoffs. And it appears that they are still pretty young and will be loaded next season too
I’m always concerned when WB faces higher level athletes. On the other hand, I can’t ignore the score comparisons with Carrollton, Alliance and Marlington so far. WB could’ve scored 100 against the Dukes who played close with Carrollton.

I’m always concerned when WB faces higher level athletes. On the other hand, I can’t ignore the score comparisons with Carrollton, Alliance and Marlington so far. WB could’ve scored 100 against the Dukes who played close with Carrollton.
I think Alliance may pose a problem but I think WB will win be 3 scores. WB is probably more athletic as a whole. Their receivers and running back are really athletic. Alliance is athletic too but after watching wbs playoff run last year their youth kids can play.

Week 8 Matchups

Minerva 0-7 @ Marlington 4-3

Salem 1-6 @ Carrollton 4-3

Alliance 4-3 @ West Branch 6-1

Obviously the game to watch this week will be in Beloit (probably the next 2 weeks). Alliance always seems to give the Warriors fits with there Athletes in space. The WB Defense has played better the last 3 weeks although it was against lower level competition. Alliance will be a good test to see where our Defense really is.. That being said the Aviators D has been struggling also... Probably be a high scoring game come friday night.

I think Alliance may pose a problem but I think WB will win be 3 scores. WB is probably more athletic as a whole. Their receivers and running back are really athletic. Alliance is athletic too but after watching wbs playoff run last year their youth kids can play.
I’m hoping , but Alliance is so erratic they make me nervous .

Week 8 Matchups

Minerva 0-7 @ Marlington 4-3

Salem 1-6 @ Carrollton 4-3

Alliance 4-3 @ West Branch 6-1

Obviously the game to watch this week will be in Beloit (probably the next 2 weeks). Alliance always seems to give the Warriors fits with there Athletes in space. The WB Defense has played better the last 3 weeks although it was against lower level competition. Alliance will be a good test to see where our Defense really is.. That being said the Aviators D has been struggling also... Probably be a high scoring game come friday night.
I agree most years but WB has some very good and explosive athletes this year and may have the edge in that area. WB had to replace a great quarterback and a very big and experienced offensive line. It seems like they have done that . I expect a high scoring game.

West Branch is a tough out in Beloit. They have a 21-2 home record (including playoffs) in the past nearly 4 seasons and the two losses were to Youngstown Ursuline (38-31) in the playoffs in 2020 and to Canfield (35-31) in the Cardinals' state championship season last year.

West Branch is a tough out in Beloit. They have a 21-2 home record (including playoffs) in the past nearly 4 seasons and the two losses were to Youngstown Ursuline (38-31) in the playoffs in 2020 and to Canfield (35-31) in the Cardinals' state championship season last year.
While that number is really impressive it's also worth noting that they only have four losses on the road during that run and two were neutral site games. Safe to say they're a hard out wherever they're playing

While that number is really impressive it's also worth noting that they only have four losses on the road during that run and two were neutral site games. Safe to say they're a hard out wherever they're playing
And yet one of Minerva's few wins in the last decade came in 2019 vs. West Branch. Imagine going from losing to Minerva to where West Branch has been the last few years.

Since offensive coordinator-turned head coach Tim Cooper began calling the plays in 2020, West Branch is 39-6 (including playoff games) for an .866 winning percentage — and that's with three different starting quarterbacks playing during that time frame.

My records, taken from other teams' historical data, have Alliance 4-2 vs. Salem between 1895-1898 and 0-2 vs. Canton McKinley in 1895. They have may played some non-school teams back then as well, and unfortunately those records are probably lost forever.
Just FYI, I have Alliance's all-time record as 574-503-43.
Others may have a more definitive collection from 1902-1909. Alan Aldinger did a fantastic job with the records from 1910-1979.
Alan did a hell of a job in his record book...i might be able to find some earlier games....

And yet one of Minerva's few wins in the last decade came in 2019 vs. West Branch. Imagine going from losing to Minerva to where West Branch has been the last few years
It'a hard to believe that Minerva only had 1 senior on the field that night. Yes you have to have talent to win games but coaching also plays a big part. WB took off after that game and Minerva won 2 games following year and nothing since then.

Since offensive coordinator-turned head coach Tim Cooper began calling the plays in 2020, West Branch is 39-6 (including playoff games) for an .866 winning percentage — and that's with three different starting quarterbacks playing during that time frame.
Coaching matters big time but the skill level now compared to 5 or so years ago is massive out there

I think West Branch better be prepared for a challenging four-quarter game from Alliance again come Friday night. The AHS-WB game basically came down to a final possession in last year's meeting, and I wouldn't rule that out this time around. These are two high-octane offenses colliding. This game features two quarterbacks in Alliance's Oklahoma-bound Brendan Zurbrugg and West Branch's Beau Alazaus who have combined to throw 37 touchdown passes already this season. Alazaus has thrown 21 scoring aerials and Zurbrugg has tossed 16. In addition, both of these quarterbacks have only thrown three interceptions each all season. Should be a great one in Beloit.

I think West Branch better be prepared for a challenging four-quarter game from Alliance again come Friday night. The AHS-WB game basically came down to a final possession in last year's meeting, and I wouldn't rule that out this time around. These are two high-octane offenses colliding. This game features two quarterbacks in Alliance's Oklahoma-bound Brendan Zurbrugg and West Branch's Beau Alazaus who have combined to throw 37 touchdown passes already this season. Alazaus has thrown 21 scoring aerials and Zurbrugg has tossed 16. In addition, both of these quarterbacks have only thrown three interceptions each all season. Should be a great one in Beloit.
Does this kid from West branch? Have any offers yet? I’m sure with that size he will

Does this kid from West branch? Have any offers yet? I’m sure with that size he will
I believe he is keeping his options open for both baseball and football. He's a tremendous baseball pitcher, and obviously, is having a great senior season in football as a quarterback. His father was a great baseball pitcher (drafted by the New York Yankees and played in their farm system) as well as a great quarterback at Carrollton back in the day.

For football he doesn't, he'll likely pick up a few offers from some local D2/D3 schools at the end of the season but that would be about it. He's a pretty good HS QB but that's about the extent of it for him. Similar to the Marlington QB a few years ago.

In baseball his measurables will probably take him farther and his pedigree will only help that but as of right now he's got no offers there either

I know the late Gary Andreani will be looking down with a smile when Alliance and West Branch play Friday night at 5,200-seat Clinton Heacock Stadium, with so much on the line for both teams. I'm sure he wouldn't want it any other way. The Gary Andreani Loyalty Helmet, a traveling trophy, is annually awarded to the winner of the contest. The late Gary Andreani played and coached at Alliance and later coached at West Branch and was a key member of their coaching staff when the Warriors won the 1994 D3 state championship. The overall series between the Aviators and Warriors is tied at 9-9, but West Branch has won the last three meetings.

Everyone talks about how much coaching matters, yet Ron Johnson continues to get a free pass here in Salem because people don't believe there are better options out there.
As a WR fan, I wonder if we would see Salem turn to WR again. Do they call Andy Hake? What is Mike Kopachy doing these days? Hell Tim Cooper is a WR guy. Lots of WR ties into the West Branch/Salem rivalry including assistant coaches on both staffs. Go Blue Devils!

What were your expectations before the season started? I’m not being an idiot I’m genuinely curious what you feel this team should be capable of.
At the absolute minimum they should be 6-2 right now, under most circumstances 7-1. Being .500 is a total catastrophe