Does open or concealed carry actually make us safer?

The simple answer is no. Guns do not make you safer period. Statistical fact.
That unsupported statement doesn't seem to jive with the fact that there are many times more defensive gun uses than criminal uses of firearms.

Since you reference "statistical fact", please post those statistics.

That unsupported statement doesn't seem to jive with the fact that there are many times more defensive gun uses than criminal uses of firearms.

Since you reference "statistical fact", please post those statistics.

Not to mention the millions of innocents who were disarmed and slaughtered by their governments throughout history.

p_d saw some misleading metric and ran with it. Moonbat obstinance will now over-ride what remains of his common sense.

I must admit though, I'm very excited for him to post his "evidence!"

People who dont understand and appreciate their rights are fools.

BTW Do criminals give you a heads up before they commit a crime? Always be prepared is solid advice.
OK, solid argument. Have fun living in fear your entire life. Must suck always looking over your shoulder every time you leave the house. Seems to be a horrible way to live.

Unfortunately, guns can’t discriminate between criminals and innocent bystanders. Studies have shown that unintentional shootings are four times as common as occurrences of gun use in legitimate home defense situations. You’d actually be more likely, statistically speaking, to shoot someone by accident than you are to shoot a home invader.

Having a gun in the house also increases your own chances of becoming the victim of a firearm-related homicide or suicide in the home. Researchers have found that this holds true regardless of the type of gun you own, how you store it, or how many guns you own.

Finally, if you have children, you should take into account how the presence of a firearm in the home might affect their safety. Most gun-owning parents take precautions to keep their children from finding and handling the family’s firearms. However, despite these efforts, children often handle guns in the home without their parents’ knowledge; in one study, 22% of parents who believed that their children had never handled the guns in the home were contradicted by the children themselves. Further, when a child or teen is killed by a firearm, the gun that killed them comes from their own home fully 72 percent of the time.

For every "self defense" there are 4 accidental/unintentional shootings. 7 homicides and 11 suicides.

You are at the low end 2x more likely to be the victim of gun violence in a home with a gun. Most stats show 3x.

Unfortunately, guns can’t discriminate between criminals and innocent bystanders. Studies have shown that unintentional shootings are four times as common as occurrences of gun use in legitimate home defense situations. You’d actually be more likely, statistically speaking, to shoot someone by accident than you are to shoot a home invader.

Having a gun in the house also increases your own chances of becoming the victim of a firearm-related homicide or suicide in the home. Researchers have found that this holds true regardless of the type of gun you own, how you store it, or how many guns you own.

Finally, if you have children, you should take into account how the presence of a firearm in the home might affect their safety. Most gun-owning parents take precautions to keep their children from finding and handling the family’s firearms. However, despite these efforts, children often handle guns in the home without their parents’ knowledge; in one study, 22% of parents who believed that their children had never handled the guns in the home were contradicted by the children themselves. Further, when a child or teen is killed by a firearm, the gun that killed them comes from their own home fully 72 percent of the time.

For every "self defense" there are 4 accidental/unintentional shootings. 7 homicides and 11 suicides.

You are at the low end 2x more likely to be the victim of gun violence in a home with a gun. Most stats show 3x.
How interesting that you ignore the most common scenario with defensive gun uses, those where a potential crime is stopped with zero shots fired. These number in the millions per year.

Millions.
Plural.

How interesting that you ignore the most common scenario with defensive gun uses, those where a potential crime is stopped with zero shots fired. These number in the millions per year.

Millions.
Plural.
Deal in facts, not make believe.

Even if you believe your lie. The fact still remains that if you have a gun in your home, you are at least 2x more likely to be the victim of a gun related homicide than someone without a gun. 11 times more likely to commit suicide. Twist it all you want. People are not safer with guns.

Illegal guns come from households that do not properly secure their guns.

Last edited:

Even if you believe your lie. The fact still remains that if you have a gun in your home, you are at least 2x more likely to be the victim of a gun related homicide than someone without a gun. 11 times more likely to commit suicide. Twist it all you want. People are not safer with guns.

How odd that you throw out numbers with zero proof, but I'm the liar. I can prove the statement I made, and will gladly do so once you've produced your sources. Bet you can't.

all the "facts" of gun safety are there for only one purpose. To justify the removal of said guns from citizens.
Its all irrelevant. 2A is a right. Same as all the other 10.

I'm keeping my guns and cars. You need to get rid of your car. It was trending in the 70`s

The facts lol Damn Lies and Statistics.

What is that you want to do with them as a "strong advocate of the second amendment?"
1) I did not characterize myself as a strong advocate of the second amendment. Why are you putting words in quotes if you're not even going to quote me. I said I'm not opposed to it.

2) All I did was start the thread because the topic is interesting to me. I haven't and may not even commit to a position in the debate.

Typical from the likes of you. You open with a an incident of someone carry a rifle to a soccer game and then act like you are not arguing for or against conceal and carry. You act middle of the road but just by the way you present a topic you are pretty obvious with how you feel. Here's a link showing how people like you and organizations that are pro gun control distort data to fit their agenda.

Debunking Violence with Conceal and Carry
Who hurt you? It's not all that serious.