• Marion Local by 8-16

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Dalton

Votes: 32 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GREAT group of articles here. Thanks for sharing.

What jumped out to me was Coach Goodwin talking about watching Dalton film last year getting ready for Kirtland and Coach Dial's comment of getting lots of players involved. For those of us that have watched a lot of Dalton the last few years, that might be both his biggest strength & weakness. He always keeps a defense guessing, but there are times he's had HORSES that don't quite get the ball enough.

I mean, SP didn't have any issues running the ball and Dalton knew that's all they were going to do. It was 26-21 with two minutes to go in the third quarter and SP turned the ball over three times that went for Dalton scores. SP had two kids run for a combined 289 yards and it wasn't garbage time yardage.
Their best play was a broken play and Dalton scored something like every 3rd or 4th snap…it’s pretty well known it was not their best defensive effort… You’re also getting a little out of pocket w/ the legend - Coach Livengood here. Those kids were ready for a fight.

Kirtland didn’t have a runner topping the century mark? Are they mediocre too?

I'll be off here before the games start and usually the combo of too much mustard and forgetting my glasses makes it too tough to post from the stadium so wanted to leave with this -

I was Chief PooPoo on Dalton coming into this season & was proven to be an idiot before 9PM the night of 8/18. These Bulldogs are so legit that I don't know if they've even completely cracked the can of their capabilities. Frankly, their biggest threat prior to kickoff Saturday is malaise as they've had one of the least challenging draws in recent memory. Partly because R25 was down, but mostly because they are so stinking good. They make opponents work so hard to stay even with them that the slightest slip up, lack of effort, or bad read becomes an explosive play.

Have seen every final Marion Local has played in Canton since the games moved to TBHOF stadium. I'd put their '18 & '22 games against Kirtland in the top 10 of the best football (not just high school) games I've ever watched. The things that always stand out about the Flyers are 1) the number of players on their team for a D6/7 school 2) their physicality 3) their poise. It's over simplistic to say their success has bred their success. Way too many teams have a great year or 2 and then fall off. This level of success is as unbelievable as it is spectacular.

Thanks to everyone who posted on here all week. The kids playing Saturday are products of 2 great communities that each should be proud of regardless of the outcome. Looking forward to a great game!

I'll be off here before the games start and usually the combo of too much mustard and forgetting my glasses makes it too tough to post from the stadium so wanted to leave with this -

I was Chief PooPoo on Dalton coming into this season & was proven to be an idiot before 9PM the night of 8/18. These Bulldogs are so legit that I don't know if they've even completely cracked the can of their capabilities. Frankly, their biggest threat prior to kickoff Saturday is malaise as they've had one of the least challenging draws in recent memory. Partly because R25 was down, but mostly because they are so stinking good. They make opponents work so hard to stay even with them that the slightest slip up, lack of effort, or bad read becomes an explosive play.

Have seen every final Marion Local has played in Canton since the games moved to TBHOF stadium. I'd put their '18 & '22 games against Kirtland in the top 10 of the best football (not just high school) games I've ever watched. The things that always stand out about the Flyers are 1) the number of players on their team for a D6/7 school 2) their physicality 3) their poise. It's over simplistic to say their success has bred their success. Way too many teams have a great year or 2 and then fall off. This level of success is as unbelievable as it is spectacular.

Thanks to everyone who posted on here all week. The kids playing Saturday are products of 2 great communities that each should be proud of regardless of the outcome. Looking forward to a great game!
well put!!!! I agree, Dalton hasnt reached their ceiling..

The trait I see year in and out from ML is that they are stoic. Many times they have opponents who think they have enough to punch ML in the mouth, hoping to shock them a little, to then take control the game. What usually happens is ML takes a step back after that punch, smiles with a bloody grin and maybe spits out a tooth, and then says "bring it" and takes it to another level. It sounds like Dalton might have that same quality this year. Tough kids on both sides. This should be a doozy.

a truely very cool story ....the dalton squad .......... their tussle with kirtland . says a lot ......... kirtland scrimmaged this summer against some NE ohio Heavyweights.........don t put a ot of stock in these scrimmages ....but................ the hornets held thei own .............kirtland more on the smaller side this year up front .......... heck most d-6 and d-7 schools don t have the 6"5 270 kids or more up front ..... maybe a couiple per team , but kirtland is kirtland ....... thought they would throw more this year with LaVerdes son At QB ......... Only a freshman last year ........ pretty impressive ......... even with a terrific supporting cast ......

well put!!!! I agree, Dalton hasnt reached their ceiling..
very well put..............love to see dalton knock off marion local ........ just cuz they have gone this far ....FIRST TIME EVER...............And Their Facilities are very unlike most of the schools in the Mighty Mac............. Have seen games at minster ....fort loramie , coldwater and st. henry .......... all very nice........... some still with grass .......... u make 2 turns on RT 94 going north or south ...and u are heading out of town................. just a really very cool story on the dalton ballclub.....

Marion’s overall team speed on defense, with multiple helmets rallying to the ball, is probably the hardest thing to prepare for.
In my opinion this is not one of Marion’s best overall defenses. But it is one of the fastest, and I think it will be one of the best overall next year. Almost all Juniors

I love the enthusiasm of this game but being as realistic as I can, Dalton doesn’t stand a chance in this one. They may hang around for a half but ML will break things wide open.
Ultimately what you say makes sense. We are told over and over again by the large schools the reason small schools can't hang with them is too many two way players. That is where Marion looks much larger than a D7 school, with only two kids playing both ways.

Still think though that Dalton could present a challenge for quite a long stretch of the game.

From all that I've heard and read for about a week now, it doesn't sound like Dalton has a shot to beat Marion Local this year and they probably shouldn't be on the same field because of the huge talent disparity on both sides of the ball. That's nothing they can control at this point and you can only play the cards you are dealt. I think you will see a Dalton team that goes hard, does not quit, and plays with a lot of class. They will not just roll over and give Marion Local the championship trophy. They will bring a ton of fans from the area who will support them no matter what happens and be proud of the historic season that they have put together. Win or lose, it's been a season for the ages and they have been a lot of fun to watch. Go Bulldogs!

Have you seen any of Dalton this year?
lolol most these MAC people haven't, you can tell, and its hilarious. Even if Marion is "better"..by that I mean just more sound on defense. Most these MAC people just totally overlook and discredit anything Dalton has done or how they have looked and grown, and they discredit the players Dalton has by simply implying Marion has more talented ones.

lolol most these MAC people haven't, you can tell, and its hilarious. Even if Marion is "better"..by that I mean just more sound on defense. Most these MAC people just totally overlook and discredit anything Dalton has done or how they have looked and grown, and they discredit the players Dalton has by simply implying Marion has more talented ones.
Most of the Dalton-doesn't-have-a-chance posters on yappi are not MAC people.

Nearly all MAC posters are humble and respectful.

Dalton has a great team - and Marion fans fully realize the tall task the Flyers will face tomorrow.

As a Marion fan, I do not believe Marion has more talent by position. Dalton probably does.
Marion doesn't have any D1 prospects. Marion has a bunch of average size kids (6'0 - 165lbs to 220lbs) that are fast. They are all good high school athletes, that won boys state track last spring.
They run the Marion offensive and defensive schemes almost to perfection, once you get to this time of year.
Godwin and his staff are the reason people are predicting a Marion win.
I expect a very good hard hitting game. After watching Dalton on film, they look like a very classy team, that is happy to help you up after they have knocked you on your . The Marion kids are the same, very respectful to the game and their opponent.
Should be a great one - 28 hours and counting

As a Marion fan, I do not believe Marion has more talent by position. Dalton probably does.
Marion doesn't have any D1 prospects. Marion has a bunch of average size kids (6'0 - 165lbs to 220lbs) that are fast. They are all good high school athletes, that won boys state track last spring.
They run the Marion offensive and defensive schemes almost to perfection, once you get to this time of year.
Godwin and his staff are the reason people are predicting a Marion win.
I expect a very good hard hitting game. After watching Dalton on film, they look like a very classy team, that is happy to help you up after they have knocked you on your . The Marion kids are the same, very respectful to the game and their opponent.
Should be a great one - 28 hours and counting
Sorry for the MAC slander then...the ones who have corrected me sound great! Ya the Dalton boys have fire, and will talk a bit, but they are classy kids.

Marion’s overall team speed on defense, with multiple helmets rallying to the ball, is probably the hardest thing to prepare for.
In my opinion this is not one of Marion’s best overall defenses. But it is one of the fastest, and I think it will be one of the best overall next year. Almost all Juniors
Agree and you run at speed. Can the Flyers hold up in the trenches and offensively can ML run the football between the tackles?

Marion will run a lot of different defensive schemes and stunts up front, to counter Daltons size. The secondary will be asked to cover everything and fill the gaps. Dalton offense reminds me of Versailles. I good mix of pass and run. They like to have their quarterback run. he is a very good athlete, but I am glad Osborn is playing this morning.
On offense, I think this game may resemble what it looked like last year against Kirtland. I just don't know if Dalton is as disciplined on defense as Kirtland was.

Marion will run a lot of different defensive schemes and stunts up front, to counter Daltons size. The secondary will be asked to cover everything and fill the gaps. Dalton offense reminds me of Versailles. I good mix of pass and run. They like to have their quarterback run. he is a very good athlete, but I am glad Osborn is playing this morning.
On offense, I think this game may resemble what it looked like last year against Kirtland. I just don't know if Dalton is as disciplined on defense as Kirtland was.
Flyers did a good job containing Osborne as you have stated Flyers have good team pursuit, Gehret (V) was effective in the 4th qtr. between the tackles. Same with Knous from Wapak. If Dalton wants to win this game the Bulldogs need to be able to run the football between the tackles if not, this will not be a close game.

Marion Local as individuals are not impressive except maybe Ungruhn and Partington (who has tree stumps for arms), see them in church and you think that kid plays football. ML defensively is like a bee colony they all do their job (assignment football don't over pursue), and like bees when attacked swarm to the football.

Attached pic shows the ML Flyers earlier this season participating in game day Mass at St. John the Baptist church in downtown Steinerville. They have been doing this for years and were there en masse this morning along with numerous fans, parents and grandparents. Dalton doesn’t have a prayer!!🤗🤗

Attachments

• IMG_1363.jpeg
    IMG_1363.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 104
Have you seen any of Dalton this year?
This seems to be an ongoing narrative on this forum. So I have now watched the Caldwell, Norwalk St Paul and Lucas games. I stand by my prediction, I really don’t think Dalton can keep this game close. Take the NSP game for example, the game was within one score with 4 minutes left in the third quarter, mind you this is the same NSP team that lost to Ft Loramie. Marion is going to have too much depth, experience and poise for Dalton in this one.

Attached pic shows the ML Flyers earlier this season participating in game day Mass at St. John the Baptist church in downtown Steinerville. They have been doing this for years and were there en masse this morning along with numerous fans, parents and grandparents. Dalton doesn’t have a prayer!!🤗🤗
But do Marion Local folk carry fully built barns a quarter mile down the road with their bare hands? ;)

For what it's worth...
Cal Preps - ML 38, Dalton 17
F50 - ML (-24)
Massey Ratings - ML 42, Dalton 7

I'm thinking 35-7 the local locals