Division V State Semifinal: Kirtland (13-0 (54-0)) vs Ottawa Glandorf (11-3)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 1-7

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 8-16

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 17+

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is how this will go. Ottawa Glandorf will come out all fired up with a plan and thinking they have a chance. They will touch the ball once in the first quarter and maybe even put together a two or three first down series before Kirtland's disciplined defense steps up physically and stops them. Kirtland will then take over and score on a drive that chews eight minutes off the clock. Nothing O-G does can stop Kirtland from very physically picking up 4 or 5 yards a down, but at the end of the first quarter it's 7-0, so O-G thinks they are still in it. Kirtland's defense will then continue to pound on Ottawa Glandorf's offense. Because at Division 5 most teams have to play a lot of guys both ways, O-G is wearing down. There will be mistakes made, usually a turnover or penalty. Kirtland will get the ball back and go on another long scoring drive. At 14-0 O-G still thinks they have a good chance. Because there are only 2 minutes left in the half Ottawa Glandorf wants to try to get points on the board. Physically reeling and feeling a little desperate, they make mistakes and either get stopped in their own end or turn it over. Kirtland scores once more before the half runs out. What seemed like a close game just a few minutes ago is for all intents and purposes out of reach for O-G. Ottawa Glandorf might get on the board in the second half once or twice, but they still can not stop Kirtland from going on 7 to 10 minute scoring drives. You end up with a score in the 35 to 14 range and an O-G team wondering where their game plan went and how things got so out of control.

This is how this will go. Ottawa Glandorf will come out all fired up with a plan and thinking they have a chance. They will touch the ball once in the first quarter and maybe even put together a two or three first down series before Kirtland's disciplined defense steps up physically and stops them. Kirtland will then take over and score on a drive that chews eight minutes off the clock. Nothing O-G does can stop Kirtland from very physically picking up 4 or 5 yards a down, but at the end of the first quarter it's 7-0, so O-G thinks they are still in it. Kirtland's defense will then continue to pound on Ottawa Glandorf's offense. Because at Division 5 most teams have to play a lot of guys both ways, O-G is wearing down. There will be mistakes made, usually a turnover or penalty. Kirtland will get the ball back and go on another long scoring drive. At 14-0 O-G still thinks they have a good chance. Because there are only 2 minutes left in the half Ottawa Glandorf wants to try to get points on the board. Physically reeling and feeling a little desperate, they make mistakes and either get stopped in their own end or turn it over. Kirtland scores once more before the half runs out. What seemed like a close game just a few minutes ago is for all intents and purposes out of reach for O-G. Ottawa Glandorf might get on the board in the second half once or twice, but they still can not stop Kirtland from going on 7 to 10 minute scoring drives. You end up with a score in the 35 to 14 range and an O-G team wondering where their game plan went and how things got so out of control.
This here will probably be the most accurate post on here after Saturday night lol

Might have been asked already, but has Kirtland ever trailed an opponent this season, and if so for how long? Wouldn't expect it having given up 7.4 ppg points in the regular season, two shutouts in playoffs and I watched the last two games against Garfield and SR, just curious.

Last edited:
Might have been asked already, but has Kirtland ever trailed an opponent this season, and if so for how long? Wouldn't expect it having given up 7.4 ppg points in the regular season, two shutouts in playoffs and I watched the last two games against Garfield and SR, just curious.
Not sure, but let me congratulate you on your string of victories against Particle Man.

54 wins in a row! That is crazy good! Probably going to be 56. After the fall sports season, what do Kirtland people even look forward to? Next year's fall season?

If Kirtland wins the toss, will Tiger take the ball 1st half or 2nd half?
Not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic, but I would assume (especially based on the last 2 games) he would take the ball the 2nd half. If they are leading at HT, then they consume 9-10 minutes for their 1st drive of the 2nd half and then we are essentially now in the 4th quarter…as Raylen_Givens stated once they get their lead they just dominate the clock like no other team can

South Range is as good as any team in Div 5 this year, except one. They beat a very good D3 Hubbard team 34-0 just a few weeks ago. They also gave it to NMS (I think they'll win the D6 title) early in the year. They got rag dolled by Kirtland. I really though they would give Kirtland a game. Kirtland is on another level.

South Range is as good as any team in Div 5 this year, except one. They beat a very good D3 Hubbard team 34-0 just a few weeks ago. They also gave it to NMS (I think they'll win the D6 title) early in the year. They got rag dolled by Kirtland. I really though they would give Kirtland a game. Kirtland is on another level.

Versailles would beat South Range. O-G might too.

Yeah, for those of us in NE Ohio that SR game was a bit of a shocker. Think we expected Kirtland to win, but wouldn't have been surprised to see SR end the streak. The way that turned out . . . wow.

Again, what stands out to me is Tiger's WILLINGNESS to simply jab an opponent into submission. Most coaches simply can't resist that desire to "show 'em what we got" or "take the top off" of the defense. Hornets will be aggressive, but it's SO SMARTLY DONE. Always makes me wonder if they go into offense series thinking "OK, let's just pound it with these 4 plays, but if you see them get in this set - GO FOR IT!"

Yeah, for those of us in NE Ohio that SR game was a bit of a shocker. Think we expected Kirtland to win, but wouldn't have been surprised to see SR end the streak. The way that turned out . . . wow.

Again, what stands out to me is Tiger's WILLINGNESS to simply jab an opponent into submission. Most coaches simply can't resist that desire to "show 'em what we got" or "take the top off" of the defense. Hornets will be aggressive, but it's SO SMARTLY DONE. Always makes me wonder if they go into offense series thinking "OK, let's just pound it with these 4 plays, but if you see them get in this set - GO FOR IT!"
Saw some highlights of this game. SR looked like they were playing real hard-nosed football and giving everything they had. But as Stizostedion described above, little things start to happen and then they build into an avalanche. The usual outcome is that Kirtland takes advantage of and/or causes those little things and then rides out that avalanche. It is really amazing to watch unless you are a fan of the other team. While I'm not rooting against Kirtland, it would be interesting to see them have to play from behind or at least play against some adversity.

Saw some highlights of this game. SR looked like they were playing real hard-nosed football and giving everything they had. But as Stizostedion described above, little things start to happen and then they build into an avalanche. The usual outcome is that Kirtland takes advantage of and/or causes those little things and then rides out that avalanche. It is really amazing to watch unless you are a fan of the other team. While I'm not rooting against Kirtland, it would be interesting to see them have to play from behind or at least play against some adversity.
Completely agree. The difference is so few times are teams able to surprise them & take that early lead.

One thing I noticed watching the Garfield and SR games, when Kirkland's* DBs are defending a pass, they have great coverage and timing and broke up a few attempts in those games. But, interpreting contact can be subjective and what wasn't PI to one official might be PI all night to another official. Could be a way to get that early lead.

*Had to make the obligatory mistake for old times sake. Haven't seen it done much, if at all, this year.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed watching the Garfield and SR games, when Kirkland's* DBs are defending a pass, they have great coverage and timing and broke up a few attempts in those games. But, interpreting contact can be subjective and what wasn't PI to one official might be PI all night to another official. Could be a way to get that early lead.

*Had to make the obligatory mistake for old times sake. Haven't seen it done much, if at all, this year.
I like that 3-5-3 set Kirtland runs. We don’t usually see a set like that at the high school level but hell if it works keep using it.

Great story -and holds water in looking at scores in the east during the regular season for sure- but at this time of the season your script( State semi's and finals ) and most notably your score - doesn't hold true - not even for mighty Kirtland. You predict 3 touchdown spread - good luck.
O-G will show up and I think makes this game MUCH closer than your narrative, heck they MAY even win? This will be a game of wills .. and mental toughness no doubt. I am not naive enough to think O-G is the favorite anywhere - but .......

Great story -and holds water in looking at scores in the east during the regular season for sure- but at this time of the season your script( State semi's and finals ) and most notably your score - doesn't hold true - not even for mighty Kirtland. You predict 3 touchdown spread - good luck.
O-G will show up and I think makes this game MUCH closer than your narrative, heck they MAY even win? This will be a game of wills .. and mental toughness no doubt. I am not naive enough to think O-G is the favorite anywhere - but .......
Ask these guys about that
1637771774516.png