Division V State Semifinal: Kirtland (13-0 (54-0)) vs Ottawa Glandorf (11-3)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 1-7

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 8-16

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 17+

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey all, I am a Kirtland fan/alumni. I really don't know much about Ottawa Glandorf. What kind of style of offense and defense do they play? Can anyone clue me in? cant really post anything here about theories and strategies of the up coming game with no knowledge but Ill be looking into it this week.

I distinctly remember the 2018 Kirtland offensive line having a few really large specimens. They definitely had the size advantage over ML that year.
Oh yeah, had some big big boys. That was a rare unit for us to have kids that big.

I just watched some of Kirtland on the Hudl, and they did not look small. The teams I saw they play against were much smaller than them, including South Range. This is a bad matchup for Kirtland. They are going to be looking in a mirror when they play OG. OG is full of tougher kids who don't make mistakes and won't give up. The communities are used to competing for championships. They have won many in basketball, and other teams have been in state championships. Both of these teams are going to want to control clock and pound it at the opposition. OG is big enough to do that. They are also disciplined enough not to make mistakes. Obviously, Kirtland is the favorite, but this is not a team that Kirtland wants to face.

Living close to Kirtland, and working with several parents whose sons have played for Tiger, the difference comes in their strength training and conditioning. There is no offseason for Kirtland football. Their dedication to the weight room starts in middle school; its a commitment to the program that starts early and continues through high school. While they don't always have more size on their offense and defensive fronts, they always have kids that are faster and stronger. They just wear teams down. I think this will be Kirtland's toughest matchup yet, but I still like the Hornets 35-14.

I just watched some of Kirtland on the Hudl, and they did not look small. The teams I saw they play against were much smaller than them, including South Range. This is a bad matchup for Kirtland. They are going to be looking in a mirror when they play OG. OG is full of tougher kids who don't make mistakes and won't give up. The communities are used to competing for championships. They have won many in basketball, and other teams have been in state championships. Both of these teams are going to want to control clock and pound it at the opposition. OG is big enough to do that. They are also disciplined enough not to make mistakes. Obviously, Kirtland is the favorite, but this is not a team that Kirtland wants to face.
Well I've seen this before. Every year we hear this. One of Kirtland's motto's is "Respect all, fear none". Kirtland is a team who will not fear O-G. On the contrary, they want to be in games like this. When these guys were JV's they played in games against D1 giants like Ed's, Iggy and Massillon JV squads. They want to be tested and they won't be bullied. Kirtland well, its obvious they are used to competing for state championships too. I'll just say, this is exactly the team Kirtland wants to face. In a way it doesn't matter to them. Who ever they have to play to win a state championship is who they want to face. That's the attitude they have had.

Well I've seen this before. Every year we hear this. One of Kirtland's motto's is "Respect all, fear none". Kirtland is a team who will not fear O-G. On the contrary, they want to be in games like this. When these guys were JV's they played in games against D1 giants like Ed's, Iggy and Massillon JV squads. They want to be tested and they won't be bullied. Kirtland well, its obvious they are used to competing for state championships too. I'll just say, this is exactly the team Kirtland wants to face. In a way it doesn't matter to them. Who ever they have to play to win a state championship is who they want to face. That's the attitude they have had.
Well said. It's not until after teams play Kirtland do they understand their physicality.

I dont think Kirtland is afraid of any team left in the final four. They have seen bigger and badder - and have humbled them. Let OG think they are bigger and badder in the days leading up to the game. Like Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth". Kirtland has taken the best punches in the mouth teams can give them - the problem is they punch harder. I expect a whole lot of the same from Kirtland - a four quarter business trip that finds them in the state final.

I'd love to see Coach Shriner get himself a state title for all of his work in Ottawa. The man deserves it.

But I just don't see it happening with a road that would include Kirtland and Versailles. I wouldn't be totally shocked if they pulled the upset, but I sure wouldn't go on record picking it.

Kirtland by around 14.

Kirtland is on the same level as the MAC. Competition has a lot to do with a teams record. VW did win state last year but as you said the WBL is not on the level as other top leagues ( Wapak which tied VW for the WBL title would finish 4th or 5th in the MAC this year ) in the state , Kirtland is. Trust me I would be very happy with an OG victory, just a matter can OG match Kirtland's physical play and discipline, we will see.
This post has very little to do with our conversation. Your original post I responded to said the WBL was "weak this year," and I responded explaining why I thought the WBL actually had a pretty strong season. This post here is talking about how Kirtland is a MAC-like team, which nobody is refuting. You're comparing the WBL to the MAC and since the WBL isn't as good as the MAC, that makes them a "weak" league? It's either you're the MAC or the GCL or you're a nobody? Well, that's a hell of a narrow definition for whether a league is good or not and lacks any complex analysis. How many other leagues not named the MAC had 2 of their members in a regional championship game this past weekend or how many leagues had 40% of their members have 9+ wins? I'm sure there absolutely were some, but I guarantee I can name more leagues that didn't.

This post has very little to do with our conversation. Your original post I responded to said the WBL was "weak this year," and I responded explaining why I thought the WBL actually had a pretty strong season. This post here is talking about how Kirtland is a MAC-like team, which nobody is refuting. You're comparing the WBL to the MAC and since the WBL isn't as good as the MAC, that makes them a "weak" league? It's either you're the MAC or the GCL or you're a nobody? Well, that's a hell of a narrow definition for whether a league is good or not and lacks any complex analysis. How many other leagues not named the MAC had 2 of their members in a regional championship game this past weekend or how many leagues had 40% of their members have 9+ wins? I'm sure there absolutely were some, but I guarantee I can name more leagues that didn't.
Well said.

I plan on making the long trip to Clyde. I'm sure it will be an entertaining game worthy of the 1.5hr drive.

This game is over by the middle of the second quarter. Ottawa-Glandorf welcome to the Kirtland Invitational Football Tournament. Thanks for playing. You can pick up your consolation prize on the way out.

How many OG kids also play basketball? This football run is really cutting into their basketball practices. Being a little sarcastic, just a little. ?

How many OG kids also play basketball? This football run is really cutting into their basketball practices. Being a little sarcastic, just a little. ?

A lot of them lol. Basketball practices right now probably don't have enough guys to run a 5 on 5 drill

OG Coach Ken Schriner will have his boys ready to go.
He is one hell of a person and coach.
I have known him for over 30 years.
He was a great O-Lineman himself and has always known his stuff.
Pulling hard for OG this weekend.
Oh and I know a lot more kids that play for Kirtland now and in the past than I ever have from OG.
They are the standard in D5.
Much respect for the Hornets.
I may drive over to Clyde but getting old might just watch the stream.....cold weekend ahead lol.