Division V State Semifinal: Kirtland (13-0 (54-0)) vs Ottawa Glandorf (11-3)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 1-7

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 8-16

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 17+

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

We have seen this situation before........

'And David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone and slung it and struck the Philistine on his forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the ground.'

1 Samuel 17:49.

Best of Luck Titans. You are gonna need it.

A benefit to OG in this game is they've played several physical, running teams in the WBL. I don't think any of those teams are on the level of Kirtland, but it will at least have given OG some prep for this type of game. I think OG can keep this game close and interesting, but I do worry that they wear down over time. Everyone that plays Kirtland and loses seems to face a similar fate. They just come at you and wear you down as the game goes on. I'll go with:

Kirtland 28
OG 7

I'm sure lots of OG fans watched the Otsego-Kirtland game last year. Titans had a good team in '20 and are that much stronger this year.

The one thing to keep in mind as you "scout" Kirtland (I've typed this on several threads so apologies is it's a a repeat) they are NOT NORMAL.

Don't say that to be trite. The point is LaVerde seems (don't know him from Adam) to look at the game as "Get what you want (the lead), then get it over as soon as you can." Their 21-7 lead in the 2nd quarter against South Range (a REALLY good football team) felt like a running clock game. That's no disrespect to SR, Kirtland just plays with a lead like few teams any of us have ever seen.

They won't have great stats (but their stats team is 2nd to none - https://stats.digitalscout.com/ohio/school/kirtland-hornets/football/varsity/boys/13445426) but they get the only one that matters - W's.

I'll put you down for a dollar also.
Seems like a weekly occurrence, but please don't let @Stizostedion upset anyone. He is not associated with Kirtland in any way/shape/form. He just likes to get on the forums when his home health provider is out of the room and get folks riled up.

Only association anyone has been able to pin him to is his theft of a Canton Central Catholic marching band uniform from the last century.

Should be a GREAT game!!

OG Coach Ken Schriner will have his boys ready to go.
He is one hell of a person and coach.
I have known him for over 30 years.
He was a great O-Lineman himself and has always known his stuff.
Pulling hard for OG this weekend.
Oh and I know a lot more kids that play for Kirtland now and in the past than I ever have from OG.
They are the standard in D5.
Much respect for the Hornets.
I may drive over to Clyde but getting old might just watch the stream.....cold weekend ahead lol.
Coach Schriner sounds a lot like Coach Yeagley of South Range. Fantastic people to play for & been at the helm for 25+ years. He will have Ottawa-Glandorf more than ready for this matchup.

To be honest, O-G is playing this game with nothing to lose and everything to gain. ALSO, they appear to be peaking at the right time; which can be a troublesome 1-2 combo for any opponent.

Another thing is the clear as day size advantage the Titans will have. If I heard correctly, their line averages out at almost 6’3 240 and they have a D1 commit. Someone feel free to correct me if needed…

Point remains that some people will look at this like an easy win & pin Kirtland + Versailles to the finals. But looking at the Titans’ schedule & the direction they are trending since their loss to Van Wert, I think it will be FAR from easy.

In the other semi, I am very intrigued to see the athletes of the Harvest Prep take on some of the best athletes the Mighty MAC has to offer in Versailles.

Best of luck to both sides come Saturday. Hopefully there isn’t too much snow in the forecast!

I'm going to speak on Kirtland. I have seen south range for 3 years now and my bulldogs have lost to them the last 3 years. This year I was so impressed by them. No true offensive threat they had 5 or 6 that could take to house.
I went to game Saturday hoping to see them break the steak.
I'm sorry Kirtland is just so physical, so fast, so disciplined.
They will not be beat.
I will still say Kirtland is far and away #1 but #2 would be a better game to see who that is

Well I've seen this before. Every year we hear this. One of Kirtland's motto's is "Respect all, fear none". Kirtland is a team who will not fear O-G. On the contrary, they want to be in games like this. When these guys were JV's they played in games against D1 giants like Ed's, Iggy and Massillon JV squads. They want to be tested and they won't be bullied. Kirtland well, its obvious they are used to competing for state championships too. I'll just say, this is exactly the team Kirtland wants to face. In a way it doesn't matter to them. Who ever they have to play to win a state championship is who they want to face. That's the attitude they have had.
I don't think they're afraid, and I am not saying that the coaches are saying I wish we didn't have to play this team. I'm saying it like an example. I don't know that's the right word. If Kirtland could choose a team to play, it would not be this one. I know Kirtland has been in tough games and come out on top. I know they have taken all comers. I'm just saying I don't think this is a good matchup for them. I get that they like to be tested, and they may or may not be tested Saturday night, but having watched OG a little and watching some video on Kirtland, I think OG matches up really well with them. When I saw video of South Range and watched a couple of their games on YSN, I knew they didn't have a chance against Kirtland. Kirtland was too big for South Range. OG is not like that. They come at you and pound and throw. Their defensive line is big and fast and will be hard to push around. They resemble Kirtland. Now Kirtland may be better coached, and they have clearly been to this stage more than OG, but I do think OG will match up with them. It should be a good game.

I don't think they're afraid, and I am not saying that the coaches are saying I wish we didn't have to play this team. I'm saying it like an example. I don't know that's the right word. If Kirtland could choose a team to play, it would not be this one. I know Kirtland has been in tough games and come out on top. I know they have taken all comers. I'm just saying I don't think this is a good matchup for them. I get that they like to be tested, and they may or may not be tested Saturday night, but having watched OG a little and watching some video on Kirtland, I think OG matches up really well with them. When I saw video of South Range and watched a couple of their games on YSN, I knew they didn't have a chance against Kirtland. Kirtland was too big for South Range. OG is not like that. They come at you and pound and throw. Their defensive line is big and fast and will be hard to push around. They resemble Kirtland. Now Kirtland may be better coached, and they have clearly been to this stage more than OG, but I do think OG will match up with them. It should be a good game.
If you didn’t think SR had a chance against Kirtland then would you please let us know the upcoming PowerBall #s? SR returned 90% of the team that scored 35 on Hornets last year & Kirtland graduated majority of the points they scored in that game. Majority of us that saw the game last year expected if anyone in NE Ohio had a shot it was them.

I hear what your saying and I just know the outlook of Kirtland and how they approach the next game of who ever they have to play to advance. I could put it to you the same way. Would OG choose to play Kirtland in anything but a state championship game? If you think they match up well with Kirtland I get that. OG is having a great season and made the final 4. I just don't think Kirtland's coaches or players are thinking if they could choose somebody else they would. Kirtland knows if you want to be the best then you play the best. The 4 best teams in D5 are playing Saturday night and I think Kirtland would want play any of the other 3 in any order to win a state title. Coaches from all over D5 and D6 have said until you play Kirtland, you can't really understand how good they are from just film study.

Last edited:
If you didn’t think SR had a chance against Kirtland then would you please let us know the upcoming PowerBall #s? SR returned 90% of the team that scored 35 on Hornets last year & Kirtland graduated majority of the points they scored in that game. Majority of us that saw the game last year expected if anyone in NE Ohio had a shot it was them.
I was thinking about this game today as I agree with your earlier post that it almost felt like a running clock. I did expect a much closer game for the exact reasons you stated above. I’m thinking what happened based on observation is that Kirtland changed their defensive approach as compared to last years game and decided to focus their defense on taking away the SR passing game (which is the one of if not the best in D5). Kirtland typically uses their 3 defensive linemen to occupy the opponent’s OL and create gaps. Then the 4 LBs blitz the gaps to stop the run and pressure the QB, leaving their secondary on an island to stop the pass. With the number of quality receivers as SR had, Kirtland dropped their LBs into coverage which is very uncommon for their defense. I could be wrong but I think it caught SR off guard and they never adjusted to get their passing game going

I was thinking about this game today as I agree with your earlier post that it almost felt like a running clock. I did expect a much closer game for the exact reasons you stated above. I’m thinking what happened based on observation is that Kirtland changed their defensive approach as compared to last years game and decided to focus their defense on taking away the SR passing game (which is the one of if not the best in D5). Kirtland typically uses their 3 defensive linemen to occupy the opponent’s OL and create gaps. Then the 4 LBs blitz the gaps to stop the run and pressure the QB, leaving their secondary on an island to stop the pass. With the number of quality receivers as SR had, Kirtland dropped their LBs into coverage which is very uncommon for their defense. I could be wrong but I think it caught SR off guard and they never adjusted to get their passing game going
I think in 2020 against SR we did take a good lead at one point and got into a more prevent type of defense. Their passing game was great but the QB runs really helped them. Their 2nd score last week was pretty much the QB with 2 great long runs and one of those was for the touchdown.

I think in 2020 against SR we did take a good lead at one point and got into a more prevent type of defense. Their passing game was great but the QB runs really helped them. Their 2nd score last week was pretty much the QB with 2 great long runs and one of those was for the touchdown.
Honestly this game was kind of over at the half. If the hornets punch that drive in where they fumbled I think inside the 15 it’s 28-7 at the half. But luckily we held them off before the half and were able to get some points in the 3rd quarter. Then the Kirtland machine did what it does. I just think if the hornets don’t fumble and cash in it’s a totally different second half to start. But I loved the way they finished the game. Clock killers lol

Oh I agree with all your saying. I feel the same way. When the Hornets took the 2nd half kick off and chewed 9+ minutes of the clock and scored, that was pretty much it. Even if SR could get a quick score, they would be down 2 scores an Kirtland would just go back to work with clock churning drive. I give the Kirtland backs a lot of credit for keeping themselves in bounds when close to the side lines.

Oh just to throw this out there... Mason Rus won the Tony Fisher Award tonight. Those of us from the east side of Cleveland who follow the high school football scene will know what that means. Tiger won the Bob Ritley Award. Congrats to both.
Tony Fisher was a RB from some school called Euclid during his day lol. I had a buddy that went to school with him. Pretty sure he played at ND

Oh I agree with all your saying. I feel the same way. When the Hornets took the 2nd half kick off and chewed 9+ minutes of the clock and scored, that was pretty much it. Even if SR could get a quick score, they would be down 2 scores an Kirtland would just go back to work with clock churning drive. I give the Kirtland backs a lot of credit for keeping themselves in bounds when close to the side lines.
That’s where the hornets just play fundamental football. Kirtland dares opponents to stop them. They play their own game at their own will. I love what Tiger has done to the program and Kirtland has my respect. I’m a used to be east sider lol. I’m in Avon now and follow the program my kids went to. But I’ve got family in Kirtland and will always follow the hornets. Hell i played against hornets when I was at ledgemont as a kid lol

Oh just to throw this out there... Mason Rus won the Tony Fisher Award tonight. Those of us from the east side of Cleveland who follow the high school football scene will know what that means. Tiger won the Bob Ritley Award. Congrats to both.
Congrats to both !

Very well deserved for both!

Tony Fisher was a RB from some school called Euclid during his day lol. I had a buddy that went to school with him. Pretty sure he played at ND
Does anyone know why they renamed the award the Tony Fisher award? I tried looking it up last week but couldn’t find anything

Does anyone know why they renamed the award the Tony Fisher award? I tried looking it up last week but couldn’t find anything
I've only ever known this award as the Tony Fisher award, what was it previously and when did they change the name, certainly not in the last 10 years

That’s where the hornets just play fundamental football. Kirtland dares opponents to stop them. They play their own game at their own will. I love what Tiger has done to the program and Kirtland has my respect. I’m a used to be east sider lol. I’m in Avon now and follow the program my kids went to. But I’ve got family in Kirtland and will always follow the hornets. Hell i played against hornets when I was at ledgemont as a kid lol
LOL.. Im a out of stater myself. I played in a couple of games against Ledgemont for Kirtland back in the 80's. One of them was the hottest day ever. Over a 100 degrees on the field. It took 2 weeks to recover from it.

I think it happen sometime in the 2000's? Not sure why. It used to be called The News-Herald player of the year award. It was different then. They had it for offense and defense. For the first 15 years it was just 2 guys who would win, 1 for offense and 1 for defense. In 1985 they went to 2 categories, AAA for one, AA-A for the other. They did this I believe all the way up to the late 90's maybe? I know this because I was the first one to win it for Kirtland for defense in 1985. I know if it was by todays standards I wouldn't of won it. The award has change quite bit over the years. Now there is just one player named regardless of school size and there is a watch list through out the season with weekly updates. Nice ceremony at the Hooley House out in Mentor. If you see the history of the players of the award that goes back to 1970 you would be amazed. There is a Heisman Trophy winner. Guys who played on Super Bowl Teams. A lot of guys who went to OSU that were stand outs and other BIG 10 schools who were All Americans.

I've only ever known this award as the Tony Fisher award, what was it previously and when did they change the name, certainly not in the last 10 years
It was called The News-Herald Player of the Year Award. If you see my post above this one I kind of got some info.

I think it happen sometime in the 2000's? Not sure why. It used to be called The News-Herald player of the year award. It was different then. They had it for offense and defense. For the first 15 years it was just 2 guys who would win, 1 for offense and 1 for defense. In 1985 they went to 2 categories, AAA for one, AA-A for the other. They did this I believe all the way up to the late 90's maybe? I know this because I was the first one to win it for Kirtland for defense in 1985. I know if it was by todays standards I wouldn't of won it. The award has change quite bit over the years. Now there is just one player named regardless of school size and there is a watch list through out the season with weekly updates. Nice ceremony at the Hooley House out in Mentor. If you see the history of the players of the award that goes back to 1970 you would be amazed. There is a Heisman Trophy winner. Guys who played on Super Bowl Teams. A lot of guys who went to OSU that were stand outs and other BIG 10 schools who were All Americans.
I went to school with Desmond Howard (Heisman & Super Bowl MVP), not sure if he ever won it as Northeast Ohio back then had the greatest collection of RBs I have ever seen in high school at the same time (Desmond Howard at St. Joe’s, Robert Smith at Euclid, and O.J. McDuffie at Hawken)

It was called The News-Herald Player of the Year Award. If you see my post above this one I kind of got some info.
I went to school with Desmond Howard (Heisman & Super Bowl MVP), not sure if he ever won it as Northeast Ohio back then had the greatest collection of RBs I have ever seen in high school at the same time (Desmond Howard at St. Joe’s, Robert Smith at Euclid, and O.J. McDuffie at Hawken)
Oh Desmond did win it I think in 1988. Remember Elvis Grebach (I know my spelling is off) played for the 49ers after Steve Young. Eric Smith and a few others. I played against OJ McDuffie. He was a couple of years under me but was always through out his high school years an amazing back. That's why I have kept track of the award. Not for myself but for the names of the guys who took it to the ultimate level of the sport. There are so many names that any football fan would recognize on that list.