Division III State Championship: Hamilton Badin (14-0) vs. Chardon (15-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Badin by 1-7

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • Badin by 8-16

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Badin by 17+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it’s worth, straight from Badin’s Facebook page:

“Badin High School admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin. All faiths are welcomed at Badin High School and we serve over 28 zip codes in Butler, Warren & Hamilton Counties and SE Indiana.”
I thought inclusivity was a good thing ??

Naw Speedthatkills, I'm one of those snake handling Baptist cats. Me and pope don't see eye to eye :p Do like me some Badin Rams though ;)
If it helps with the Pope, I can vouch you drink like "those" catholic people do ;). I do find it interesting that Chardon is not open enrollment. I thought almost everyone was nowadays. Glad to see we are not the only ones. Kind of makes me want to root for them, but hard for me to pick against the Butler County boys, even if they do have kids from 9+ different public school districts(includes the Australian punter). Dare I say Go Green......cough...hack....cough(gulps water) Rams! Also hoping Murph and WW brings home one as well.

If it helps with the Pope, I can vouch you drink like "those" catholic people do ;). I do find it interesting that Chardon is not open enrollment. I thought almost everyone was nowadays. Glad to see we are not the only ones. Kind of makes me want to root for them, but hard for me to pick against the Butler County boys, even if they do have kids from 9+ different public school districts(includes the Australian punter). Dare I say Go Green......cough...hack....cough(gulps water) Rams! Also hoping Murph and WW brings home one as well.
Respect from Badin Ram to a Ross Ram?

I am not saying that, just that if both teams were 100% it would have benefited Chardon more. DeSales was not as banged up as Chardon but they certainly weren't as you suggest.
DeSales was a great team last year don't get me wrong, I just think there were a few teams in region 9 that were a bit better.

Another consideration is Chardon knew in advance this year and last year who they had to beat to win region 9, but the other regions are more unpredictable and it was hard to predict very far in advance who would win the other regions. Chardon could prepare for teams like Aurora, Dover, Canfield in advance knowing they would have to play them to win the region, no one knew DeSales would make it to the state title game much less win their region.
Your posts are so stupid

I know that was tough for you big guy, but us SW Ohio dudes gotta stick together ?

That guys an idiot. Spewing the same nonsense on Twitter. He's still butt hurt that Bellbrook broke one off in their ace. I'm not Catholic, didn't go to private school but as a life long Butler Co. resident and public educator I can tell you that his "facts" aren't close to be accurate.
Your right, Badin has kids from 28 zip codes not 23! Facts are facts. One school has kids who live in the town and only kids who live in the town. One school has their pick of the litter of kids from 28 different zip codes. I’m pulling for the public school

Your right, Badin has kids from 28 zip codes not 23! Facts are facts. One school has kids who live in the town and only kids who live in the town. One school has their pick of the litter of kids from 28 different zip codes. I’m pulling for the public school
Preperation H extra strength for advanced butt hurt is proven to be effective

Excerpt from Chris Easterling's writeup in The Repository on all the games this weekend.

"Here's who's to watch out for in this game:

Sean Carr, Chardon, running back​

You don't have the success the Hilltoppers have had this season, going 15-0 and winning all but one of those games by double figures, by only relying on one standout. While quarterback Alex Henry may be the leading rusher for Chardon, he’s not the only 1,000-yard rusher on the team. That’s where Carr comes into the picture. Through the initial 14 games, the senior had run for more than 1,000 yards and scored 23 TDs. Carr was the centerpiece on offense in the state-semifinal win over West Holmes last week, rushing for 108 yards and four TDs. While a number of the players who put up stats in the Hillltoppers’ overtime win over Columbus St. Francis DeSales in last year’s state title game have departed, Carr is one of the holdovers. He ran for 22 yards on eight carries, while catching a 23-yard pass as well.

Eli Emmons, Hamilton Badin, linebacker​

Ballhawking linebacker who has helped the Rams post a 14-0 record and earn their first state championship game appearance since winning it all in 1990. Emmons entered the state semifinals with a team-high 144 total tackles, which also led all Greater Catholic League Co-Ed division tacklers. Then, he helped Badin go out and post its third shutout of the playoffs and sixth overall in a 14-0 win over Granville. Emmons has more than 80 solo tackles on the season through 14 games, and nine games of double-digit total tackles. In the regional semifinals against St. Mary Memorial, he picked up a season-high 18 total stops, before recording 16 the next week in a regional final win over Bellbrook.

Alex Henry, Chardon, quarterback​

While Henry’s arm isn’t the primary way the Hilltoppers matriculate the football down the field, that doesn’t minimize the role the quarterback plays in the success they have in moving the ball. The 6-3, 195-pound junior is an absolute load for opponents to bring down, which is why he’s the leading rusher for a team looking to repeat as Division III state champions. On the season, the physical Henry has rushed for 1,285 yards and 20 TDs. In the state semifinal win over West Holmes, Henry was “held” to just 75 yards and no scores. However, the week before, against Dover in a regional final, he ran for 118 yards and a TD.

Jack Walsh, Hamilton Badin, running back​

The leading rusher in the GCL Co-Ed division, Walsh has left his mark throughout the season on opposing defenses. He’s run for 1,815 yards and 18 TDs on 272 carries this season. Over the playoff run for the Rams, Walsh has rushed for 738 yards and nine TDs. He’s topped the 100-yard plateau in four of the five games, and was 3 yards shy of it in the other one. His effort in the state semifinal win against Granville, a 226-yard performance on 43 carries, was the best of the postseason. It was also his second-best rushing effort of the season, behind a 230-yard effort in a win over Kettering Alter."

Last edited:
I see a lot of resemblance of DeSale's defense (last year) in Badin's defense. the Ram's defensive line is strong, quick, and can cover sideline to sideline. Some of their best playmakers are at the linebacker spot--same with DeSales last year.

The game plan going into last year's state championship wasn't to throw the ball 30 times against DeSales. It wasn't until we could not move the ball on the ground that we decided to air it out. We may never see another Chardon QB throw the ball like Drew Fetchik did last year in the title game. Alex Henry has been phenomenal at running the offense this year, but he does not have the arm that Drew did. Chardon has to be able to move the ball on the ground against Badin.

I think this is going to be a really close game. Chardon can run the ball with the best of them. Badin's strength is stopping the run. I'm looking forward to a slugfest on Friday. I hoping the Toppers can pull it off!

Chardon does have open enrollment but in Geauga county only, just like all the other Geauga county schools do. But the high school is at near full capacity, so even if a standout player from another, less successful football program wanted to "open enroll" they may not be able to do so because students living within the districts boundaries have priority. On the flip side Badin offers scholarships and "over $325,000 per year of financial assistance"(straight from their website). Can Badin pick and choose better athletes for scholarships and "financial assistance?" That i dont know but I know Chardon can not.

All this Catholic-Public malarkey comments giving me a damn headache. But they are funny. Can we just keep it simple and talk football. Let's be happy for these kids making it this far and be thankful for more than 2 or 3 players family members able to attend these games compared to last years 2020 Dewines season. Spit, breathe, and tackle and eachother but not shake hands after the game.......... anyways.

Special Teams will be pivotal.
Does Chardon have a good punter, field goal kicker?

You have left out a few minor details. Of the 600 or so students that attend Badin in grades 9-12 their financial responsibilty is roughly 11,500.00 per year. Lets say the entire football starting lineup is on a full ride. That leaves little "financial assistance" for the baseball and girls soccer teams that are pretty regular state participants. Not to mention the girls basketball and volleyball teams that were regional runner-ups this past year. Also worth mentioning is that all sports play a division up due to the competitive balance mandate.
As we have read on here I'm not sure why this is of concern, it appears very obvious that the Rams are in over their head and hoping to keep the Hilltoppers under 60. It should just add to your overall Topper mystique to hang sixty on the Rams and their full ride lineup.
I sent four through the school and someone owes
All this Catholic-Public malarkey comments giving me a damn headache. But they are funny. Can we just keep it simple and talk football. Let's be happy for these kids making it this far and be thankful for more than 2 or 3 players family members able to attend these games compared to last years 2020 Dewines season. Spit, breathe, and tackle and eachother but not shake hands after the game.......... anyways.

Chardon’s kicker is very good, however the kicking game hasn’t been as good as last year. Their punter is very good as well but Chardon doesn’t punt often.

what about Badin’s kicking game?

Also, I believe (?) Chardon’s kicker just set a playoffs points record.

Kicker was all state last year.

Chardons Tager has kicked more then a few kickoffs into the endzone. Hes accurate on FG's as well. I think theyve had a bit of an issue with their snapper off and on but the holder has done a good job of covering for him. Mcdonald is the punter and can boom it but isnt the most consistant. Tager is the backup punter and looks like he has a slightly stronger leg (from watching warmups after halftime). But I've seen both kick sideline to sideline.

Having seen Chardon on offense, they aren't the (Buck Sweep, Trap, Waggle) Wing T...they are a hard nosed POWER football operation. They are good at what they do but not a Wing T team.
It has a wing T flavor to it.
Has a little QB Spinner Triple option flavor as well.
But it’s them kids and coaches that make it as successful as it is.

It’s very fast, very direct, very ball deceptive but then kids are coached tough. With all this 7 on 7 and two hand touch pajama ball being played nowadays it’s beautiful to see two hard nosed physical teams make it to State.

This game should be epic for fans who appreciate toughness, endurance, stamina and physical play.
I can’t wait to watch.
Both teams deserve props for getting here, and I hope it a clean game with no injuries.

These kids give it there all. Practice all year. Sprints, lifting, breaks and bruises.
I love it. God I do Love Football.
These kids deserve to be applauded and supported.

Well I hope the Badin coaches draw up their defensive game plan with the same philosophy of the fans on here. The wing-t was brought to Chardon just over 40 yrs ago. They have evolved it a bit. Run it a little more like a pistol formation. But it is in fact still a wing-t offense at it's core. Mostly same plays, more shotgun, and more wide outs to spread the defense a bit. It's 100% still a wing-t offense, just a different more evolved variation of it. It's a thing of beauty when ran efficiently.

Well I hope the Badin coaches draw up their defensive game plan with the same philosophy of the fans on here. The wing-t was brought to Chardon just over 40 yrs ago. They have evolved it a bit. Run it a little more like a pistol formation. But it is in fact still a wing-t offense at it's core. Mostly same plays, more shotgun, and more wide outs to spread the defense a bit. It's 100% still a wing-t offense, just a different more evolved variation of it. It's a thing of beauty when ran efficiently.
I didn’t mean to imply Chardon runs a Triple-Option QB spinner style.

Just trying to imply that the QB is deceptive with the ball, and his movement is very precise.

I didn’t mean to imply Chardon runs a Triple-Option QB spinner style.

Just trying to imply that the QB is deceptive with the ball, and his movement is very precise.
Not just your comment. There was a couple others earlier on in the discussion. You just reminded me of it lol

It's a completely different animal than saying we have a good run defense. It's not your typical run offense, hard to prepare for. You can't have your scout team run it efficiently like a team that runs it regularly. Especially a team like Chardon. I'm confident in saying no other team in the state can run it like Chardon.

It's a completely different animal than saying we have a good run defense. It's not your typical run offense, hard to prepare for. You can't have your scout team run it efficiently like a team that runs it regularly. Especially a team like Chardon. I'm confident in saying no other team in the state can run it like Chardon.
I played the game in the 80’s.
And in the area, NOBODY ran the Wing-T.

Everyone ran some versions of a pro-set then. Maybe a few option teams and few “run n shoot” type offenses.

I don’t believe I saw the Wing T until 93’.?
Both my former teams playoff opponents ran the Wing-T. I tend to remember hearing radio announcers mention not seeing the offense of a “single wing” offense since the 50’s.,
It’s easy to get frustrated when you have a view from up in the stands and get faked out, but I can’t imagine how hard being a LBer trying to diagnose who has the ball when 3 possible runners hit the line of scrimmage at the same time.
It is really a timing, deceptive and extremely quick (the hand is faster than the eye) style of smash mouth football.
The quicker and more precise you run it the better it works.

And somehow I get the feeling that father’s in Chardon hold their boys in the hospital and line up in a WingT formation and run a few plays.???

Last edited:
So much of the focus here has been on Chardon’s Wing-T versus Badin’s D … how do we see the Badin O versus Chardon’s defense? I understand Badin has a backup QB who is playing well, and a talented RB. Where does Badin’s O stack up to the teams Chardon has played this year?

I played the game in the 80’s.
And in the area, NOBODY ran the Wing-T.

Everyone ran some versions of a pro-set then. Maybe a few option teams and few “run n shoot” type offenses.

I don’t believe I saw the Wing T until 93’.?
Both my former teams playoff opponents ran the Wing-T. I tend to remember hearing radio announcers mention not seeing the offense of a “single wing” offense since the 50’s.,
It’s easy to get frustrated when you have a view from up in the stands and get faked out, but I can’t imagine how hard being a LBer trying to diagnose who has the ball when 3 possible runners hit the line of scrimmage at the same time.
It is really a timing, deceptive and extremely quick (the hand is faster than the eye) style of smash mouth football.
The quicker and more precise you run it the better it works.

And somehow I get the feeling that father’s in Chardon hold their boys in the hospital and line up in a WingT formation and run a few plays.???
As we say in Chardon … God loves the Wing-T. Our kids learn it in Youth football and then perfect it in middle school and high school.

So much of the focus here has been on Chardon’s Wing-T versus Badin’s D … how do we see the Badin O versus Chardon’s defense? I understand Badin has a backup QB who is playing well, and a talented RB. Where does Badin’s O stack up to the teams Chardon has played this year?
Badin may try to exploit Chardons pass defense with two of Chardons DB/LB hurt (if they’re actually unable to play) The sophomore QB seems to throw a good accurate ball and IMO it will be tough sledding for Badin to run the ball on Chardon consistently as they load the box. That being said, if Walsh gets even a little crease he can exploit it. Badin plays a more field position conservative approach and relies on their defense to give them short field. This will be an intriguing match up if Badin can play a clean game and cut down on drive killing penalties which have plagued them this year. Chardon is up there with the MAC schools and Kirtland in respect level and Badin is a heavy underdog, but hey, they will get their chance

Status
Not open for further replies.