Division III State Championship: Hamilton Badin (14-0) vs. Chardon (15-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Badin by 1-7

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • Badin by 8-16

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Badin by 17+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everyone about these being the best two teams in D3. I said it at the beginning of last week, Badin's defensive front was next level. They proved that in the championship game. That was the same reason I was nervous about playing them; their strength (stopping the run) is exactly what Chardon does to win games (run the football). A lot of high school football comes down to matchups. I don't think Dover and West Holmes matched up well against Chardon; that doesn't mean they're not capable of beating any of the other top D3 teams in the state on a given night. I think the final AP poll did a good job of ranking the best of the best in D3, although I'd probably flip Canfield and Dover and likely Memorial and London.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 7.35.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 7.35.55 AM.png
    443.8 KB · Views: 38
Trey Liebhardt, he played CB and was out for the championship. Nathanael Sulka is the safety; you are correct, he did play.
I read earlier in this thread there were 2 guys out. Maybe that wasn’t right. Either way, the CB is really good. Very dangerous kick returner as well

Chardon defeated 6 teams in that D3 Top 10

I can’t explain it. I watched Dover run and throw the ball well all year. I thought it was there year to be honest to finally win it all.
Dover had dropped passes when they did get off a pass. I thought Dover’s passing game had a chance because they had 2 different QB’s both good. Teams who played Chardon seemed to drop a lot off passes. Nice passes.
Not sure if it was the moment was to big, or Chardon’s defensive physicality and game tempo knocking opposing players out of their rhythm or luck. But it happened a lot.
Chardon was very good at penetration at LOS. It’s was effective at stopping the run and getting to the QB.
It tended to limit pass plays and throw off timing( which is crucial to a offense).
When a pass play did work as intended I saw a lot of drops.
And from multiple teams; Dover, Badin, Canfield.
Chardon was used to playing ahead on points and was very used to getting after the QB. They had just as good of a pass defense as run defense. Mostly due to pressuring the QB and throwing off play timing and hitting like a truck if a catch was made.
Badin did have a nice QB, from what I saw he reminded me some of Kenston’s QB. Quick release that worked well in combination with the running game.
I don’t believe Kenston starting QB was playing vs Chardon. Correct me if I’m wrong. Not that it would have changed the outcome in that game Kenston had no defense.
Would have like to seen how far Aurora would have got with their 3 yr Starte in also.

Last edited:
Chardon defeated 6 teams in that D3 Top 10

I can’t explain it. I watched Dover run and throw the ball well all year. I thought it was there year to be honest to finally win it all.
Dover had dropped passes when they did get off a pass. I thought Dover’s passing game had a chance because they had 2 different QB’s both good. Teams who played Chardon seemed to drop a lot off passes. Nice passes.
Not sure if it was the moment was to big, or Chardon’s defensive physicality and game tempo knocking opposing players out of their rhythm or luck. But it happened a lot.
Chardon was very good at penetration at LOS. It’s was effective at stopping the run and getting to the QB.
It tended to limit pass plays and throw off timing( which is crucial to a offense).
When a pass play did work as intended I saw a lot of drops.
And from multiple teams; Dover, Badin, Canfield.
Chardon was used to playing ahead on points and was very used to getting after the QB. They had just as good of a pass defense as run defense. Mostly due to pressuring the QB and throwing off play timing and hitting like a truck if a catch was made.
Badin did have a nice QB, from what I saw he reminded me some of Kenston’s QB. Quick release that worked well in combination with the running game.
I don’t believe Kenston starting QB was playing vs Chardon. Correct me if I’m wrong. Not that it would have changed the outcome in that game Kenston had no defense.
Would have like to seen how far Aurora would have got with their 3 yr Starte in also.
Aurora’s QB was playing when they lost. They couldn’t stop Dover. As far as dropped passes, it’s high school football, happens every game. I suspect that these drops against Chardon stand out to you because it was their opponents “one chance” to close the gap. When there is a sense of desperation, those mistakes stand out a lot more. I’d be willing to bet you don’t remember Chardon’s dropped passes in those same games.

Aurora’s QB was playing when they lost. They couldn’t stop Dover. As far as dropped passes, it’s high school football, happens every game. I suspect that these drops against Chardon stand out to you because it was their opponents “one chance” to close the gap. When there is a sense of desperation, those mistakes stand out a lot more. I’d be willing to bet you don’t remember Chardon’s dropped passes in those same games.
I can recall for one game, Chardon only attempted 3 passes against Canfield, two were incomplete (QB threw it away because everyone was covered) and one was a coverage sack for a short loss.
As far as Aurora's QB, yes he played, but he was no where close to 100%, he was barely able to play due to his injuries from my understanding.
And as far as dropping passes, I don't think it was because of anything anyone mentioned that Chardon was doing on defense necessarily, but more so because of nerves and just knowing that they had to play pretty much mistake free football if they wanted to win. It is tough knowing that the outcome of the game would change greatly if you don't make the catch.

I can recall for one game, Chardon only attempted 3 passes against Canfield, two were incomplete (QB threw it away because everyone was covered) and one was a coverage sack for a short loss.
As far as Aurora's QB, yes he played, but he was no where close to 100%, he was barely able to play due to his injuries from my understanding.
And as far as dropping passes, I don't think it was because of anything anyone mentioned that Chardon was doing on defense necessarily, but more so because of nerves and just knowing that they had to play pretty much mistake free football if they wanted to win. It is tough knowing that the outcome of the game would change greatly if you don't make the catch.
You’re right, Canfield is back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back state champs

The drop by Badin’s RB was a play you see all the time where a receiver looks downfield before the ball is there. Happens a lot and it’s a shame but it happens.

The drop by Badin’s RB was a play you see all the time where a receiver looks downfield before the ball is there. Happens a lot and it’s a shame but it happens.
Yeah that is a bit of a different story, you are correct, he was getting a bit ahead of himself, you see this happen in the college ranks and even on Sundays sometimes, the back often tries to make a play before he has secured the catch, knowing he has to make a guy or two miss to make the line to gain for a first down.
Canfield's drops were all really inexplicable, they just flat out dropped balls that they caught pretty much all year. Interestingly, against Dover, Canfield had some inexplicable drops as well, where the receiver was wide open with no defensive players even remotely close enough to have an effect on the play.
The thing to remember is these are 14-18 year old boys not professional athletes, and to expect they wouldn't ever get nervous in a big game or moment is unrealistic.

I've given myself a week to digest what took place on the field last Friday afternoon. It's already been stated multiple times, but the two best teams in Division III were playing each other. I was extremely impressed with Hamilton Badin. From what I could tell they run a classy program, with classy athletes. Didn't seem to be any trash talking, just hard nosed football between two teams that respected each other.

Their defense was more than advertised and was fundamentally sound. They had dudes all over the field on that side of the ball. That front 7 was stout. Two of the three TD's given up by them were in part to short fields because of the way Chardon's defense played.

Does Badin's fortune change if their starting QB played? Possibly, but it's not a forgone conclusion. He would have been under the same immense pressure just like the backup QB was. That said, I thought the sophomore did about a good of a job as he could under the circumstances. In my opinion, I thought Badin should have been more creative getting #11 the ball. He may have been the best player on the field, but only had 3-4 touches (not including PR and KO).

As for Chardon, I couldn't be more impressed with how they "stayed the course" throughout the game. How they leaned on their defense to pull out the victory, and the willingness to make the halftime adjustment to get Bruce involved with the offense should be commended. I stated multiple times thorughout the season I didn't know if Chardon's offense could win them a game if it needed to, but as evident with last week's game, it was, and it was aided by the defense. I should have looked at it differently and not as offense and defense as separate entities, because in Chardon's case this season they were two of the same. Chardon's offense was their best defense (4-yards and a cloud of dust, eating clock), and their defense was their best offense (turnovers and field position). That's a great recipe for success.

What a game between two great programs. Good luck to Badin in the future.

The Tight End had one.

I've given myself a week to digest what took place on the field last Friday afternoon. It's already been stated multiple times, but the two best teams in Division III were playing each other. I was extremely impressed with Hamilton Badin. From what I could tell they run a classy program, with classy athletes. Didn't seem to be any trash talking, just hard nosed football between two teams that respected each other.

Their defense was more than advertised and was fundamentally sound. They had dudes all over the field on that side of the ball. That front 7 was stout. Two of the three TD's given up by them were in part to short fields because of the way Chardon's defense played.

Does Badin's fortune change if their starting QB played? Possibly, but it's not a forgone conclusion. He would have been under the same immense pressure just like the backup QB was. That said, I thought the sophomore did about a good of a job as he could under the circumstances. In my opinion, I thought Badin should have been more creative getting #11 the ball. He may have been the best player on the field, but only had 3-4 touches (not including PR and KO).

As for Chardon, I couldn't be more impressed with how they "stayed the course" throughout the game. How they leaned on their defense to pull out the victory, and the willingness to make the halftime adjustment to get Bruce involved with the offense should be commended. I stated multiple times thorughout the season I didn't know if Chardon's offense could win them a game if it needed to, but as evident with last week's game, it was, and it was aided by the defense. I should have looked at it differently and not as offense and defense as separate entities, because in Chardon's case this season they were two of the same. Chardon's offense was their best defense (4-yards and a cloud of dust, eating clock), and their defense was their best offense (turnovers and field position). That's a great recipe for success.

What a game between two great programs. Good luck to Badin in the future.
Agree number 11 for Badin might have been the best athlete on the field.
He climbed the latter for one of them passes like Cris Carter. I wonder what year and if he is looking at CFB?

Status
Not open for further replies.