Division II Ohio AP Polls (First AP Poll)

As a Hoban fan, I don't feel too bad about getting blown out by Bergen. Hoban's not a national powerhouse, they are a D3 school playing up a division in D2 and finding some amazing recent football success in Ohio. I'm proud of the recent success, and know that 2014 wasn't that long ago, when we were a middle of the road football team.

The strangest thing to me about the Massillon threads is that they are celebrating or jeering at titles that were decided 50+ years ago.
How did they find this amazing recent success ?

Actually the polls only meant everything from 1947-1971.
Before that titles were apparently determined by some dude at some time when he got around to it. Allegedly he didn’t get around to 1909 until over 100 years later.
Art Johlfs and his one-person National Sports News Service (look them up) deserve to be in the Massillon Football Hall of Fame. ?

How did they find this amazing recent success ?
I know this is probably just bait, but the success came right after spending a ton of donor money on the weight room, indoor practice area, and health & fitness center.

The first couple years of the run they had some good luck in D3, with a lot of Jr & Sr in the ranks and the toughest team in the region being the rival StVM. After that, Hoban went all-in on football importance and had students flocking to the program.

How did Massillon turn things around quickly in 2016?

I know this is probably just bait, but the success came right after spending a ton of donor money on the weight room, indoor practice area, and health & fitness center.

The first couple years of the run they had some good luck in D3, with a lot of Jr & Sr in the ranks and the toughest team in the region being the rival StVM. After that, Hoban went all-in on football importance and had students flocking to the program.

?
This quote from 2015 after they built the training facility says it all.
“The new facility, while meeting their needs, will help coaches recruit prospects.”
2016 ??? Massillon has had success for only about the previous 125 years.

Please stop. Everyone knows how Hoban miraculously became a state power, after decades of mediocrity.

Yes, by providing an environment that was attractive to young athletes, good coaching, and a dedicated offseason program.
Just like Massillon.
What’s so funny? I couldn’t blame any kid for wanting to go to Hoban or Massillon for those exact same reasons. Do any of you disagree?

What’s so funny? I couldn’t blame any kid for wanting to go to Hoban or Massillon for those exact same reasons. Do any of you disagree?
The majority of people on here will disagree. Well actually they will say it’s ok that Hoban does what they do but for Massillon it’s murder.

The majority of people on here will disagree. Well actually they will say it’s ok that Hoban does what they do but for Massillon it’s murder.
Yeah and we both know they say that just to dig into Massillon. But I think we both can agree that Hoban and Massillon have both had an uptick is success based on the same strategy. Neither should be condemning the other while holding their head high while they’re doing the same things.

Yeah and we both know they say that just to dig into Massillon. But I think we both can agree that Hoban and Massillon have both had an uptick is success based on the same strategy. Neither should be condemning the other while holding their head high while they’re doing the same things.
One more then the other overall but the future sure is bright. ?

Yeh, High Schools are for education first, not the other way around?

Nobody thats not a Hoban fan or Catholic likes what and how Hoban "all the sudden" got good in football.

They just want you to know that they believe Hoban's success could not have been the result of anything that wasn't nefarious. It's jealousy and it's pretty stale.
Their success was obtained by coach Tyrell going out and getting after top notch athletes and yes he did work very hard at it. Definitely not jealous of any HS.

Last edited:
You said kids should want to go there for good coaching, facilities and the likes, NO?
I said that being a successful football program includes making an environment that’s a attractive to young athletes (academics, culture, college/career opportunities, student groups, winning), along with good coaching and facilities. Those 3 things will bring you success as a football team.

I said that being a successful football program includes making an environment that’s a attractive to young athletes (academics, culture, college/career opportunities, student groups, winning), along with good coaching and facilities. Those 3 things will bring you success as a football team.
That's not what you said.

That's not what you said.
This is copied and pasted from my post #94 about how Hoban has been successful:

“Creating an environment that’s attractive to young athletes along with quality coaching and strength training. Just like every other successful team.”

Clearly I state that kids should have a reason to want to come to the school (whether it’s academics, athletics, or whatever. It varies from kid to kid) and once those kids are there quality coaching and training are what put a team over the top.

Could you please explain to me how I’ve been inconsistent with my message?

This is copied and pasted from my post #94 about how Hoban has been successful:

“Creating an environment that’s attractive to young athletes along with quality coaching and strength training. Just like every other successful team.”

Clearly I state that kids should have a reason to want to come to the school (whether it’s academics, athletics, or whatever. It varies from kid to kid) and once those kids are there quality coaching and training are what put a team over the top.

Could you please explain to me how I’ve been inconsistent with my message?
It's pretty easy to see your first comment spoke only of the sports/athlete side of the equation. Your second included that pesky education side of schooling.