Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's true, Springfield is Ohio D1 Public School Champions.

no one can even dispute it. Springfield won the Title on the Field by beating Moeller ON THE FIELD.

Get the banners printed and signs made. Your kids earned it.

View attachment 36837Correction from Coach Douglass. He meant "counties." St Eds has 38 counties.
View attachment 36836
Wow. What poor losers. Very unsportsmanlike. It's about winning and losing with CLASS! The coach is supposed to be the example setter. Not a good example IMHO. Life lesson alert: Life isn't always fair. You can maintain a positive attitude and accept outcomes we may not like or agree with. Or you can have a negative attitude and whine about things. If he wants change, get with the coaches association and try to get things changed. But don't drag the kids into this with articles like that, he is not a good example setter.

Last edited:
You quote me more than a preacher quoting a bible. Besides It is basketball season now: I just don’t support one sport when they are winning.
Last time I checked, this was a football forum and thread. Am I right? If you want to talk bball, you'll have to leave and troll the bball forum...

Wow. What poor losers. Very unsportsmanlike. The coach is supposed to be the example setter. Not a good example IMHO. Life lesson alert: Life isn't always fair. You can maintain a positive attitude and accept outcomes we may not like or agree with. Or you can have a negative attitude and whine about things. If he wants change, get with the coaches association and try to get things changed. But don't drag the kids into this> and with articles like that, he is not a good example setter.
Well, is it true? Ohio has 88 counties altogether.

Well, I'd like to know where St Eds star players came from and what their football background was growing up. And also, why the St Ignatius fans seem to feel St Eds did something to ruin their football program. What did happen there?
Sour grapes...all this is deflection. If you would of beat Eds, the public/private conversation wouldn't even been brought up.

Sour grapes...all this is deflection. If you would of beat Eds, the public/private conversation wouldn't even been brought up.
The conversation has always been there. If you research it, it's been something the OHSAA has wrestled with over the years and there have been proposals about it. And again, other states have separate tournaments for competitive balance.

View attachment 36837Correction from Coach Douglass. He meant "counties." St Eds has 38 counties.
View attachment 36836
Tax money beats tuition money any day of the week. It was funny he wasn't crying after he beat Moeller last week or when they slapped Iggys last year. He whined like this when he lost to TCC a few years back and was silent when he finally won(citation needed) Mo' is the main one out here recruiting getting transfers in from all over the place, but he wants to harp on privates? It don't add up. Did he have the same energy for his back up QB that had to sit because the kid from Arcanum transferred in?

Wow. What poor losers. Very unsportsmanlike. The coach is supposed to be the example setter. Not a good example IMHO. Life lesson alert: Life isn't always fair. You can maintain a positive attitude and accept outcomes we may not like or agree with. Or you can have a negative attitude and whine about things. If he wants change, get with the coaches association and try to get things changed. But don't drag the kids into this> and with articles like that, he is not a good example setter.
Eh he had to be Roman Legion South last week and then come fight Roman Legion North this week and the poor barbarians needed a week to catch their breath in between the pincers trying to break out.

He played in NFL so he gets to vent if he wants.

"Surprised" is not "beating up." And yes you were surprised. During the game, many posters said they were surprised by Schondelmyer's performance, resiliency and toughness. People said he single-handedly kept them in "striking distance" which they found surprising. They even compared him to Allar. Regarding the unfair advantage, I just posted some new comments from Coach Douglass where he clarifies he meant St Eds recruits over 38 "counties" in Ohio, not countries. So, don't troll me. I'm just an innocent messenger.
Me too.

The conversation has always been there. If you research it, it's been something the OHSAA has wrestled with over the years and there have been proposals about it. And again, other states have separate tournaments for competitive balance.
Oh I agree its been brought up every year, right around this time! Juat a bad look for the coach in my opinion. SHS had back to back great seasons....enjoy it. Some things you just cant control.

Why would they? Alter is a bball school. And Fairmont never did or could play Alter in the playoffs as they are D2 or lower. They played them by choice in non-league regular season games as a cross-town rivaley. I shouldn't have to explain the difference between that and the playoffs. And you really think you're qualified to draw up blueprints for Moeller to use on the field?

I guess their two state football championships don’t count. Not to mention their qbs have gone to notre dame and Missouri and they have guys in the nfl right now.

Tax money beats tuition money any day of the week. It was funny he wasn't crying after he beat Moeller last week or when they slapped Iggys last year. He whined like this when he lost to TCC a few years back and was silent when he finally won(citation needed) Mo' is the main one out here recruiting getting transfers in from all over the place, but he wants to harp on privates? It don't add up. Did he have the same energy for his back up QB that had to sit because the kid from Arcanum transferred in?
But he played Ignatius when they had been replaced by St Eds. And he didn't say this after the losses to Elder and At Xavier. There was a noticeable difference between the St Eds games and the games against the Cincinnati privates. The best talent in the greater Cincinnati area is not concentrated into 1 private school the way it seems to be in Cleveland. That's why St Eds' glory years really didn't begin until after Ignatius' glory years ended. And from what I read, Ignatius fans seem to feel St Eds did something to hurt their football program.

Oh I agree its been brought up every year, right around this time! Juat a bad look for the coach in my opinion. SHS had back to back great seasons....enjoy it. Some things you just cant control.
It does come off, at least in part, as sour grapes. But try to look at it from his perspective as the coach. What is he supposed to say to his players who really did give it their all and did everything he wanted them to do. When you looked at the lines last night, it was obvious SHS was outmanned and outmatched. Except for the 2 games against St Eds, that hasn't happened against any other opponent in Douglass' tenure there, whether they won or loss. He never made these comments when they lost to Elder and St Xavier, when they escaped St Ignatius on a pick 6 or when they escaped DeSmet on a goalline stand at the 1. But they also weren't obviously outmanned by what looked like a college team.

But he played Ignatius when they had been replaced by St Eds. And he didn't say this after the losses to Elder and At Xavier. There was a noticeable difference between the St Eds games and the games against the Cincinnati privates. The best talent in the greater Cincinnati area is not concentrated into 1 private school the way it seems to be in Cleveland. That's why St Eds' glory years really didn't begin until after Ignatius' glory years ended. And from what I read, Ignatius fans seem to feel St Eds did something to hurt their football program.
That is Iggy's own doing. They seem to think you have to be a junior member of Mensa to get offered admission. But hey, whatever works for them.

If you want to compete with the private schools, go statewide open enrollment. Start advertising around your metropolitan area. Highlight your strengths (sports, clubs, academics, etc). Offer incentives to attract prospective students. Whining about "unfair advantages" isn't gonna do shrimp.

St. Ed's should win 28-14 if stay disciplined to run between the tackles & some play-action to keep the DBs honest.
*should have put some $ on this projection!

Coach Douglas has been recruiting forever at Trotwood and Springfield - ongoing joke in the GWOC. Great season by the Cats, but quit the sour grapes on the loss - were good enough to beat Moeller again this year. OHSAA could never do a private school championship- not enough big schools to do that.

That is Iggy's own doing. They seem to think you have to be a junior member of Mensa to get offered admission. But hey, whatever works for them.
But something had to have happened for their program to go from what it was to what it is now. Obviously you can't blame their coach. He's a legend. 60 Minutes did an episode about him.

I guess their two state football championships don’t count. Not to mention their qbs have gone to notre dame and Missouri and they have guys in the nfl right now.
No they don't count in this conversation. Why would they when they are in a separate football playoff division than Fairmont and therefore will never encounter them?

If you want to compete with the private schools, go statewide open enrollment. Start advertising around your metropolitan area. Highlight your strengths (sports, clubs, academics, etc). Offer incentives to attract prospective students. Whining about "unfair advantages" isn't gonna do shrimp.
True, however, you know some suburbanites will not like the kind of student coming across town to learn next to their "little angel". A whole, huge can of worms. haha

Nice to see Coach Douglass has shifted his stance on recruiting

This is not a good look for Douglas on the heels of his comments last night. Now you have to question all the transfers they get at Springfield?

Shady to say the least

Status
Not open for further replies.