Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not cocky to say the bigger, better team will win. I'm not an Eds fan by any means. In fact, I loathe their success.

However, they are just flat out better. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong.

Moeller v Eds is irrelevant now. Eds is playing at a lights out level on defense. Their offensive line isn't just massive. It's good. They chew up the clock and before you know it Bell or Bollock (sp?) are in the secondary.
And Springfield Offense is Rolling. And as Always their Defense will be war ready. They said Moeller was bigger and better as well…That didn’t go so well for them.

I'm super excited to see if river boy has been telling the truth about these Wildcats. Should be a very good game.
I have been. But don't take my word for it. Ask fans from Moeller and Centerville. At one point, they were both rated #1 and #2 in state. These Wildcats are the real deal. This will be a spectacular game featuring the best qb and best offense in the state vs the best defense in the state.

And Springfield Offense is Rolling. And as Always their Defense will be war ready. They said Moeller was bigger and better as well…That didn’t go so well for them.
The difference I saw between SHS and Moeller was SHS players seemed better conditioned. As Moeller wore down in the 4th, SHS got stronger and more energized.

Springfields schedule was no joke. The GWOC was strong this season
Last several years, SHS has played the GCL South, St Ignatius and St Edward regularly. And it shows. Adding DeSmet Jesuit at the last minute this year proved to be a very good thing. Last week's game against Moeller was very similar to the DeSmet game.

I wouldn’t say contain. There was a couple bang bang calls that could have went either way. Springfield WRs just needed to be more aggressive which they did in the second half.
In the 1st half, they were all over Brown and Bradley. Thigpen was the only one Schondelmyer could connect with, and it wasn't very much. But, SHS weathered the 1st half storm and waited for their opportunities to come in 2d half.

Last edited:
All St. Eds has to do is not allow Springfield to throw the ball deep. Schondelmyer is very talented and actually throws guys open tho. Put the ball in some very nice spots against some very talented DB's for Moe. Gahanna Lincoln, while coming out of a weaker region, was better than UA of last year IMO whom Eds struggled more than predicted against. Different team this year but just interesting to think about. St. Eds needs to keep Springfield off the field and finish drives. They also need to run North and South if it is 4th and 1..... Go Wildcats tho. Eds has enough championships as of late.

Last several years, SHS has played the GCL South, St Ignatius and St Edward regularly. And it shows. Adding DeSmet Jesuit at the last minute this year proved to be a very good thing. Last week's game against Moeller was very similar to the DeSmet game.
Smart move. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Too bad the Iggy game wasnt able to be played. The GCL South, the Cleveland big 2 and Hoban. Its hard when they have only 3 out of conference games.

I have been. But don't take my word for it. Ask fans from Moeller and Centerville. At one point, they were both rated #1 and #2 in state. These Wildcats are the real deal. This will be a spectacular game featuring the best qb and best offense in the state vs the best defense in the state.
I would imagine they are. Big public school from a medium sized city will have plenty of athletes to choose from. Pretty sure they are the only public in town so talent isnt diluted.

I would imagine they are. Big public school from a medium sized city will have plenty of athletes to choose from. Pretty sure they are the only public in town so talent isnt diluted.
There are alot of County schools around SHS. In the past, alot of kids who started in the city school district would end up in the county HSs for football. But that has changed. Interestingly, despite the North-South merger, SHS is still one of the smaller schools in the GWOC.

1669670154651.png

I've been impressed with Schondomeyer this season. Making the moving from DVI football in Arcanum to DI in Springfield, while still having a lot of success.

Springfields schedule was no joke. The GWOC was strong this season
True, but not close to Eds' schedule.

Both D2 title participants, Moeller, Elder, the top team from Colorado, Mentor, Gahanna and a mediocre at best Ignatius team. Not to mention Massillon.

Springfield's young O line will be under fire by those 2 studs at DE and those 2 beasts playing LB.

Eds by 2 scores.

True, but not close to Eds' schedule.

Both D2 title participants, Moeller, Elder, the top team from Colorado, Mentor, Gahanna and a mediocre at best Ignatius team. Not to mention Massillon.

Springfield's young O line will be under fire by those 2 studs at DE and those 2 beasts playing LB.

Eds by 2 scores.
Eds is independent though correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.