Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious,,, how or why did Massilon beat Ed's? I was watching some short clips of Massilon & Springfield looks to be on a different level than that Massilon team!
They beat Ed’s by throwing the ball and using their speed. They were throwing bombs left and right. Even the bombs that didn’t get caught resulted in a pass interference or incomplete. Ed’s DBs had a tough night.

Allar won Mr. Ohio. Allar set big time passing records. Is your Qb going to win Mr. Ohio? No, not a chance. So what you are saying basically is that Springfields Qb is better than Allar based on Allars last game only. So we are supposed to ignore his HS football body of work. That logic is very flawed.
He definitely should have been a finalist for Mr.Football for sure. But I’m sure that kid is not worried about that.

As someone without a dog in this fight, I am going to go with Ed's 24-21. I dont know anything about either team. However, considering Ed's beat both of the D2 finalists this year (both teams' only losses), beat Moeller, Elder and Iggy (twice) and whose only loss was a close one at Massillon, I am going to go with Ed's based on the resume. There really wasnt an easy team to play for them all year. Yet they came through with only one loss.

Springfield's resume isnt as good. Great record in a tough conference. But a loss to a seemingly average Fairmont team shows they arent invincible.

For those saying Ed's hasnt seen a team like Springfield, I doubt that. With the schedule they had, they saw something similar to Springfield somehere.

Again, no dog in the fight. Im rooting for my Toledo Central Catholic Fighting Irish. Good luck to both teams.
The only team I would say they’ve played that can be compared to Springfield is Toledo Central Catholic. Which Ed’s won by 3. Ed’s could have easily had 3-4 Ls this year. They won a few games by 3 points and lost one by 3 points.

I

I don't mean to single you out. But, it just seems like these fans of private schools like St Edward, St Xavier, etc are so freaking sensitive about everything. You say anything that is not total and complete worship of their teams, and it's taken as a visceral insult that they're ready to kill over. Merely saying someone else is capable of winning results in them sicking a pit bull on you. There is nothing to argue about here period.
I told you they are in love with the private schools. If the name was Springfield Holy Cross they would get more love

They beat them by airing the ball out. Ed’s DBs had trouble all night trying to cover their WRs.
Moeller did a good job of containing SHS's passing game in the 1st half. But they couldn't keep up the same stamina and intensity in the 2d half and they wilted in the 4th quarter.

The only team I would say they’ve played that can be compared to Springfield is Toledo Central Catholic. Which Ed’s won by 3. Ed’s could have easily had 3-4 Ls this year. They won a few games by 3 points and lost one by 3 points.
But, keep in mind St Eds played an extremely tough schedule this year.

Let us know where you'll be pre-game. Do you ever go to 3 B's in Erie. We discovered it when going up to play Cathedral Prep in Erie. BBQ, burbon and Bacon. I think that's what the three B's were. You got a slice of bacon with a pint. Unusual? Sure, but good!
It's 3 D's. I don't know of a 3 B's. And I was there many years ago. There could be a 3 B's but I have never heard of it. I'll be there Friday very early for all 3 games. I always just sit on the home side somewhere near the 50 yard line. In between games I go for a walk.

Y'all give ORB a hard time, but just reading through 9 pages of this and you can't say you aren't purposely provoking him. Passion is a characteristic that you shouldn't prod at unless you want an argument.

Both teams are on a roll right now. I was worried about how Schondelmyer would perform against Moeller who is the best team the Cats have played, but he shined. I truly believe the 2 best teams in the state are playing in this game, and it will be back and forth and come down to the wire. See y'all in Canton on Friday, go Cats!

It's 3 D's. I don't know of a 3 B's. And I was there many years ago. There could be a 3 B's but I have never heard of it. I'll be there Friday very early for all 3 games. I always just sit on the home side somewhere near the 50 yard line. In between games I go for a walk.
This was the place I was thinking of in Erie.

Not sure if its still there or if it's still good. We use to stop there when we came up to see Cathedral Prep or McDowell.

This was the place I was thinking of in Erie.

Not sure if its still there or if it's still good. We use to stop there when we came up to see Cathedral Prep or McDowell.
Wow. Lived here my whole life and never even knew that place existed. That is on the west side actually in Millcreek (where McDowell HS is). I live about 20-25 minutes further east. So I don't get to the west side a lot. But I'll bet they are still there. Erie Prep just lost this weekend 21-14 to Pine Richland in the state quarterfinals. McDowell lost last week in a sub regional game in 3 OT's. It was like 56-50. But Pa, in Ot both teams get the ball at the 10 yard line. Which is a joke. So it was in the 30's after regulation.

I just love how these new members just pop in and act like they've been here for years and they're the next Lee Corso. LOL!
Notice how the people who always blame me for "ruining threads" have no comment on these new trolls. Just more proof they can't stand how Coach Douglass and SHS are turning their football world on its head. And, my consistent cheering them on just adds salt to their wounds. Hopefully they'll finish the job Friday!

I haven't seen Springfield play this year other than the last couple of minutes of the Moeller game on Spectrum News 1 extended coverage after the Ed's game this past Friday night. I have, however, seen St. Ed's play most of their games. While nearly all teams will improve over the course of the season the Ed's players seem to have gotten stronger in just about every aspect of the game. Not only have they improved individually but they really seem to have jelled as a unit. In a nod to both coaching and conditioning I would also suggest that they've played stronger in the second halves of games than in the first halves.

Four of Springfield's eight regular season wins came against teams that ended the season with a losing record, while St. Ed's had only one such opponent out of their nine regular season wins. Furthermore, Springfield's best wins were against a two-loss and a three-loss team while St. Ed's beat three teams who were undefeated in the regular season but for their loss to the Eagles.

While Springfield has a strong team and, as the old adage goes "on any given day", St. Ed's certainly has the stronger pedigree and, should they play to their capabilities, will come away with a win (double-digit).

I am reading these posts laughing. Ed's fans awfully confident. Some of them talking about running clock, blowouts, Springfield with no chance etc. Let me just simply say Springfield is GREAT. You could be in for a very rude awakening. I am not saying they will win. I am just saying, you're talking about a blow out? Come on now.

I haven't seen Springfield play this year other than the last couple of minutes of the Moeller game on Spectrum News 1 extended coverage after the Ed's game this past Friday night. I have, however, seen St. Ed's play most of their games. While nearly all teams will improve over the course of the season the Ed's players seem to have gotten stronger in just about every aspect of the game. Not only have they improved individually but they really seem to have jelled as a unit. In a nod to both coaching and conditioning I would also suggest that they've played stronger in the second halves of games than in the first halves.

Four of Springfield's eight regular season wins came against teams that ended the season with a losing record, while St. Ed's had only one such opponent out of their nine regular season wins. Furthermore, Springfield's best wins were against a two-loss and a three-loss team while St. Ed's beat three teams who were undefeated in the regular season but for their loss to the Eagles.

While Springfield has a strong team and, as the old adage goes "on any given day", St. Ed's certainly has the stronger pedigree and, should they play to their capabilities, will come away with a win (double-digit).
Yes, St Eds definitely played the stronger schedule and did very well under it. Really, they should be undefeated because they had that Massillon game won before they gave it away. But, SHS's win over Moeller shows they are on par with St Eds. But more importantly, you're discounting the emotion. SHS really wants this, more than last year I think. And, they've been waiting all year for another shot at St Eds. They want revenge big time.

Last edited:
I am reading these posts laughing. Ed's fans awfully confident. Some of them talking about running clock, blowouts, Springfield with no chance etc. Let me just simply say Springfield is GREAT. You could be in for a very rude awakening. I am not saying they will win. I am just saying, you're talking about a blow out? Come on now.
Those privates are all the same, you should know that by now. BTW, love the JD pic.:cool:

We heard all of that last week before the Moeller game. Had Moeller won last Friday, St Eds fans would be saying it'll be a close game.

The Wildcats are definitely the underdog here. I love underdogs. Go Wildcats!
But they always are against the privates. They finally caught up to the GCL and are beating them. No reason why they can't do same with TTUN. I do think Schondelmyer will finish drives better than last year.

They stick together like glue.
Fans for the privates in Cincinnati and Cleveland think the D1 title is theirs, to be fought for just amongst them. However, I don't think St Eds' team or coaches feel that way. They'll come to play and will be ready. Should be an epic battle between the best teams in the state.

It's not cocky to say the bigger, better team will win. I'm not an Eds fan by any means. In fact, I loathe their success.

However, they are just flat out better. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong.

Moeller v Eds is irrelevant now. Eds is playing at a lights out level on defense. Their offensive line isn't just massive. It's good. They chew up the clock and before you know it Bell or Bollock (sp?) are in the secondary.

Moeller did a good job of containing SHS's passing game in the 1st half. But they couldn't keep up the same stamina and intensity in the 2d half and they wilted in the 4th quarter.
I wouldn’t say contain. There was a couple bang bang calls that could have went either way. Springfield WRs just needed to be more aggressive which they did in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.