Division I State Championship: Springfield (13-1) vs. Lakewood St. Edward (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 36 29.5%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Springfield understands the Catholic vs Public thing better than most public schools. They scheduled Ignatius, that shows they have no fear of the private school boogeyman. The biggest difference tonight was St. Ed’s had the brutal schedule experience. Did they respect Springfield? Yes. Were they afraid of them? No.

I want an Ed’s-Springfield series to come out of this. It will be of benefit to both schools.

Lots of crazy good play by both sides in this game. Old fat guy so I might be biased, but St Ed’s lines were the difference. Smoot was unbelievable. As smooth as any of the greats have been at this level, but he was harassed all night. And their running game was non-existent. Best runs were him creating when pocket collapsed.
And the Oline…you run for 200+ against that D…you DID something.

Lots of crazy good play by both sides in this game. Old fat guy so I might be biased, but St Ed’s lines were the difference. Smoot was unbelievable. As smooth as any of the greats have been at this level, but he was harassed all night. And their running game was non-existent. Best runs were him creating when pocket collapsed.
And the Oline…you run for 200+ against that D…you DID something.
Yes. As always, the St. Edward o-line and coach Scanlon deserve a TON of credit. Eagles are lucky to have Scans and Pappas on this staff.

I think Springfield understands the Catholic vs Public thing better than most public schools. They scheduled Ignatius, that shows they have no fear of the private school boogeyman. The biggest difference tonight was St. Ed’s had the brutal schedule experience. Did they respect Springfield? Yes. Were they afraid of them? No.

I want an Ed’s-Springfield series to come out of this. It will be of benefit to both schools.
I would not mind this at all. Games like that prepares you for playoffs. Great game by Eds they came prepared their dline dominated our oline.

Great season Cats what a ride it was

Just got back from Canton and I have to say Smoot is the real deal, lot's of respect for him and the Springfield Wildcats, great football game. I also have to give the Eagles lot's of props, their D is outstanding, played the bend but don't break defense, just like against Medina. They keep everything in front of them and as the field got smaller they made it tougher to score. Great game plan by Pappas.
And how about that offense? Dan EnOvitch and that O line did a great job of moving the sticks and scoring. Eno, 210 yards in his last game as an Eagle...outstanding!! Congratulation Eagles on your state championship.

Time for a glass of Bourbon.

Congratulations to Springfield on an outstanding season. You gave my Eagles their toughest matchup of the year. Springfield was by far the toughest team Eds faced all year, even with our loss to Moeller. Smoot was remarkable. What a player. Thigpen made tough catches to keep drives moving again and again. I'm very proud and happy for my Eagles, but want to recognize just how impressive Springfield was as a team.

I would not mind this at all. Games like that prepares you for playoffs. Great game by Eds they came prepared their dline dominated our oline.

Great season Cats what a ride it was
You guys are in the infancy of a great program. Don't be discouraged by kids leaving. Ed's didn't win a title until 2010. We are on a run, there's no doubt about that. You could flip a coin on tonights game to get a winner. We lucked out.

We lucked out all 3 times we played Wayne in the title. And in 2018 it was a divine miracle we beat Colerain. I hope it starts a series, even if it's only because Ed's and the GCL is getting boring. SHS gave us a better game than any GCL school this year.

I don't know of any X posters that said what this guy is saying-- they all acknowledged that Springfield had a good team last year and this year-- he just makes stuff up (and never stops retorting with nonsense-- which is why I put him on Ignore-- it makes the threads much more easy to read)-- Only Reload dismisses the X opposition-- and I don't think even Reload said that Springfield was not good... this guy has a complex, and is going to make up a narrative to fit his worldview...

You yourself said that the X fans were "over the top" in declaring a state title before the season-- but, from what I have seen, no one but Reload ever did/said that-- he's a special case (it's part of his schtick)... I had been predicting an X/Springfield state semifinal, with X winning (but not necessarily easily) and then a tight final between X and Ed-- the only thing that changed is that X got upset by Lakota West (something that I attribute largely to benighted play calling by the X offensive coordinator, in that game)-- but I never thought that Lakota West or Moeller would beat Springfield (Moeller doesn't have a good enough defense, and Lakota West, much like Hoban with their limited QB, doesn't have good enough offense)-- so, once X lost, I always expected to see Springfield in the Final (if they faced the Region 4 winner in the semi-- which is never certain before the semi-final matchups are announced)...

I just don't expect Springfield to beat Ed-- it will be a decent game-- but Springfield will need an EXTRAORDINARY game from Smoot (passing, not just running) to score enough to beat Ed, in my opinion. I predict 20-10 or 21-13, Ed-- no insult to Springfield, just calling it like I see it.
Played out exactly as I expected-- nearly nailed the final score-- the safety by Ed was the difference.

You guys are in the infancy of a great program. Don't be discouraged by kids leaving. Ed's didn't win a title until 2010. We are on a run, there's no doubt about that. You could flip a coin on tonights game to get a winner. We lucked out.

We lucked out all 3 times we played Wayne in the title. And in 2018 it was a divine miracle we beat Colerain. I hope it starts a series, even if it's only because Ed's and the GCL is getting boring. SHS gave us a better game than any GCL school this year.
This may be true-- but I doubt it-- players like Smoot don't come along every year-- they made the state semis three years in a row with him-- without him, we'll see... if Springfield's coach (Douglas) starts to get kids willing to move all the way out to the Springfield SD the way HH Wayne used to get players (like Braxton Miller) to move into the HH Wayne SD, then maybe it can be more often than once every decade or so-- otherwise, it will be a long time between drinks at the well for the Springfield camel. I'd bet against a dynasty.

Smoot is the real deal. That Ed’s oline was stout they got it done giving that enovitch kid everything he needed: for his size he runs hard as well very impressive. Those dropped passed really hurt Springfield.

Couldn't have asked for a more hard fought game. Springfield definitely made us sweat, until the last drive salted it away I don't think any Ed's fan the game was in hand. Mistakes made by both teams, turnovers and a lot of drives that did not always end in points. Some key moments I thought were:
1) Springfield's goal line stand on Ed's first drive, and this after a 78 yard run to put the Eagles at the cusp of scoring.
2) Ed's calmly scoring on the next drive, not getting rattled and moving away from their game plan too early
3) The bad snap safety, made it a two score game that Ed's mostly kept the rest of the game (can't remember if it ever got to one score or not)
4) Springfield's first score, after some early game jitters, dropped passes and what not, I think that really proved to them they could hang and win
5) Two int's by Ed's inside their own 30, more impactful than their fumbles around midfield

This may be true-- but I doubt it-- players like Smoot don't come along every year-- they made the state semis three years in a row with him-- without him, we'll see... if Springfield's coach (Douglas) starts to get kids willing to move all the way out to the Springfield SD the way HH Wayne used to get players (like Braxton Miller) to move into the HH Wayne SD, then maybe it can be more often than once every decade or so-- otherwise, it will be a long time between drinks at the well for the Springfield camel. I'd bet against a dynasty.
Yep. Building a consistent program is relatively easy. Building a consistent champion takes a lot of talented players consistently flowing through the program.

Couldn't have asked for a more hard fought game. Springfield definitely made us sweat, until the last drive salted it away I don't think any Ed's fan the game was in hand. Mistakes made by both teams, turnovers and a lot of drives that did not always end in points. Some key moments I thought were:
1) Springfield's goal line stand on Ed's first drive, and this after a 78 yard run to put the Eagles at the cusp of scoring.
2) Ed's calmly scoring on the next drive, not getting rattled and moving away from their game plan too early
3) The bad snap safety, made it a two score game that Ed's mostly kept the rest of the game (can't remember if it ever got to one score or not)
4) Springfield's first score, after some early game jitters, dropped passes and what not, I think that really proved to them they could hang and win
5) Two int's by Ed's inside their own 30, more impactful than their fumbles around midfield
No. The safety was huge. It never got less than two scores after that.

Springfield should be proud they fought hard and Te’Sean Smoot is a very good QB. Riverboy had an opinion and argued with everyone but now he hides. There is no need to not keep speaking up for Springfield they should be celebrated because they are an outstanding football team.

T
Springfield should be proud they fought hard and Te’Sean Smoot is a very good QB. Riverboy had an opinion and argued with everyone but now he hides. There is no need to not keep speaking up for Springfield they should be celebrated because they are an outstanding football team.
They truly are an outstanding team. Their run this year was impressive.

Where is River city ? he dominates every thread with the name Springfield in it . Until now. What gives River Boy? No comments at all? Your team did the best it could. Just lost to a better team. Where are you ?

Turns out River is like some other posters who disappear after their team loses.
I love my high school football, but it's amazing how some people react based on the actions of teenagers on a field.

Turns out River is like some other posters who disappear after their team loses.
I love my high school football, but it's amazing how some people react based on the actions of teenagers on a field.

He didn’t reply to the loss to Miamisburg until after the loss by I think X later on Saturday night. Even then he was vague on thoughts reiterating he was not there and didn’t think the last score counted according to sources. The no show is not surprising.

Then again He was posting a lot this week maybe the minutes ran out on his prepaid plan.

He was on last night after they lost. Just didn't post. Seems like the John P guy from Massillon and others who disappear after a loss. But even Eds had a few posters who would do so when losing in the playoffs as well. I don't get it. It isn't like any poster is involved in the game. Win or lose, you didn't contribute to the outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.