Division I OHSWCA State Duals - discussion

They were the number #1 team in the Cincinnati area. Lebanon beat them and Teays valley yet both teams are ranked above us in state rankings.

The state rankings are not based on a dual type scenario. They are based on points scored by state level wrestlers. What one team did head to head against another team doesn't mean nearly as much in these rankings.

memo to Lebanon fan, whether you were seeded sixth, seventh or eighth -- your team was going to be non-competitive against the top five teams in the event.
Yeah we know that but if we were the 7th seed we would have wrestled marysville our 2nd match which we would have more than likely beat. It would have been nice to have won a dual at state. We totally get we would not be able to compete against st Ed’s or perrysburg but we keep it it close with Dublin and had our 165lb upset #3 kid which damn near happened we go into heavy weight with a chance to beat them.
The state rankings are not based on a dual type scenario. They are based on points scored by state level wrestlers. What one team did head to head against another team doesn't mean nearly as much in these rankings.
so if Lebanon
so if had Lebanon placed top 3 at state duals it would not have affected there state ranking?

It was fun watch the reactions from Both sides the mood swings a real thing of beauty. 126 is going to be a cluster of great wrestling at states cairn wait. And I swear those 106 pounders get bigger every week wonder how much they are cutting/how much it affects them. Does anyone know when the 2022 Ohio states forecast is going to come out on here. Can’t wait to see field as we arecoming to the final weeks

126lbs. weight class at state seems to always be a powder keg. Wonder if sports betting can sneak in high school sports? Can high schoolers take part in NIL?

Right, another example, like a few years ago( 18'- 19') Fairfield beat out Mason to win the GMC conference tournament. At the state tournament, Mason out pointed Fairfield.

Yeah we know that but if we were the 7th seed we would have wrestled marysville our 2nd match which we would have more than likely beat. It would have been nice to have won a dual at state. We totally get we would not be able to compete against st Ed’s or perrysburg but we keep it it close with Dublin and had our 165lb upset #3 kid which damn near happened we go into heavy weight with a chance to beat them.

so if Lebanon

so if had Lebanon placed top 3 at state duals it would not have affected there state ranking?
Lost by 17 to Coffman … they forfeit to you at 175 which their kid is ranked 4th I believe .. so that would’ve been 12 point swing since Lebanons 175 isn’t in Boro’s top 35 .. so that would’ve been a 29 point win for Coffman .. so no it wouldn’t have came down to heavyweight but I do agree Lebanon is a very good team just not up their quite yet w the other top 5 .

so if Lebanon

Can you please tell me how your 65 almost upset the #3 seed from Coffman? Dez hit a duck under and slipped and the kid landed on top of him. After that the kid didn’t score another point as a matter of fact he got embarrassed the rest of the match. Dez was up by 6 with a few seconds left, cut him then pinned him with ease. If you need the video I have it.

so if Lebanon

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas.

Lebanon may very well be the number six dual team in the state, but that doesn't mean that they will finish top 10 at the state tournament. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but being good in duals is not a direct correlation to the accumulation of individual points scored at the individual state tournament.

Since you believe the team prediction in these rankings is too low, that must mean that you think several guys are ranked too low from the team. How did you come up with the points that get them in the top 10? Because that is what Bucksman and BF do. They project where guys will finish and how many team points accumulate from those finishes.

Can you please tell me how your 65 almost upset the #3 seed from Coffman? Dez hit a duck under and slipped and the kid landed on top of him. After that the kid didn’t score another point as a matter of fact he got embarrassed the rest of the match. Dez was up by 6 with a few seconds left, cut him then pinned him with ease. If you need the video I have it.
The way I saw it was he got taken to his back. Then the Lebanon kid took him down again on the edge to score another take down. The score was 10-6 Lebanon going into the 3rd period. Seemed to me the Lebanon kid ran out of gas.

The way I saw it was he got taken to his back. Then the Lebanon kid took him down again on the edge to score another take down. The score was 10-6 Lebanon going into the 3rd period. Seemed to me the Lebanon kid ran out of gas.
Hopefully they wrestle again ?! Dez won by pin that’s what matters . I hope they wrestle each other again at state(OHIO) .. good luck to both kids in postseason .

Last edited:
So I guess you’re going to conventionally omit that there was 7 other take downs in the match including a feet to back pin, all by Gartrell? The truth is that he was never in trouble in that match, and the to back points scored by Lebanon came from a failed duckunder attempt by Gartell.

If the goal of this post was to motivate the Lebanon kid, then so be it. But don’t blatantly paint a fictitious rendition of the match to fit your narrative. Both wrestlers are great kids (emphasis on “kids”) and I hope they do well in the post season.

The score was 16-12 when he got pinned with 7 seconds left. Hardly with ease
Hopefully they wrestle again ?! Dez won by pin that’s what matters . I hope they wrestle each other again at states .. good luck to both kids in postseason .
Agreed
If the goal of this post was to motivate the Lebanon kid, then so be it. But don’t blatantly paint a fictitious rendition of the match to fit your narrative. Both wrestlers are great kids (emphasis on “kids”) and I hope they do well in the post season.
not sure what your talking about. I went back and watched the video again to make sure I didn’t miss something, which I did. The score was 10-9 Lebanon going into the 3rd not 10-6 and it was 17-13 when the Lebanon kid got pinned. But I am not sure how I am painting a fictitious rendition of the match. My original post was that he almost upset Dez as he had him on his back and was up going into the 3rd. I am sure they are both great kids, never said they weren’t. I was original referring to Lebanon’s state rankings as a team and that we keep that dual against Dublin competitive. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here just giving my opinion. I wish all the wrestlers luck in the up coming weeks.

Really impressive if they can wrestle each other at states. This has to be illegal by OHSAA rules, as far as I know you can't wrestle Lebanon at the Indiana state tournament and then in Ohio state tournament three weeks later.
BTW, the season is way too long and the states tournament should be over by now. When it's all done let's look at weight distribution again followed by two piece singlets. Maybe in April when states duals meet teams are selected we can look at seeding criteria again.

I watched this match and I have to agree with warrior4life. The Lebanon kid had the Dublin Coffman kid on his back for a good 5 seconds. Enough to get 3 back points. He also took him down shortly after that. Not sure what you consider a dangerous position but being on your back is definitely a dangerous spot. Could have even been called a pin as the kid bounced off his back 3 or for times trying get off his back.

No, he actually wrestled 144 (100% sure of this now). He was not the one that inj FFed.
Um I was there and I know who that kid is and he pinned our 138lb in like 10 seconds. I know he didn't wrestle 132 because then he would have wrestled Lebanon's Jack McCall. He didn't wrestle 144 because then he would have wrestled Liam Schram and Lebanon's 144 pinned LaSalle's 144.

Um I was there and I know who that kid is and he pinned our 138lb in like 10 seconds. I know he didn't wrestle 132 because then he would have wrestled Lebanon's Jack McCall. He didn't wrestle 144 because then he would have wrestled Liam Schram and Lebanon's 144 pinned LaSalle's 144.
I believe you guys are talking about two different duals. WGTJ is referring to the the springboro vs Lebanon dual where Klineberg wrestled 144 and LW45036 is referring to the Lasalle vs Lebanon dual where Neffeniger wrestled 138. These 2 post got mixed together.

I believe you guys are talking about two different duals. WGTJ is referring to the the springboro vs Lebanon dual where Klineberg wrestled 144 and LW45036 is referring to the Lasalle vs Lebanon dual where Neffeniger wrestled 138. These 2 post got mixed together.

Yep - my fault. I was never involved in the conversation on Niffenegger. My fault. I jumped into that conversation thinking it was about Klienberg. LW, sorry for the misunderstanding.