Div I, Region 4 Playoff Thread

Bracket copy.jpg

Seen LW play twice this season and I don't see it. Their offense is terrible and their defensive front is just okay. Their strength is their DBs and one of their LBs, but I don't see them having success vs Elder in a slug fest.
LW by far has one of, if not THE best defensive front in this region. As a defensive unit, they are the best defense in Ohio.

LW by far has one of, if not THE best defensive front in this region. As a defensive unit, they are the best defense in Ohio.
Not going to argue because I don't know a lot about defenses in the state of Ohio, but that is a bold statement. They gave up 77 points on the season and had 3 shutouts....those are solid numbers.

Not going to argue because I don't know a lot about defenses in the state of Ohio, but that is a bold statement. They gave up 77 points on the season and had 3 shutouts....those are solid numbers.
There were a couple of games where the starters only played 2-3 quarters. Would likely have more shutouts than that. It's also important to note that the Frosh QB threw 2 pick 6's this season. So it deflated LW's defensive statistics.

I'm going to make my hot take now. I think Lakota West has better odds to win the region this year than last year. Sure, last year's team was "More talented" and had a way more competent offense. But I think this LW defense is the best in school history, likely better than the one from 2020-2021. The question is going to be, how do you beat the defense? Last year the answer was simple. Run the ball down their throats. As we've seen this year, can't do that anymore. So what's the alternative? Pass the ball? With the defensive backfield Lakota West has, it's not a great idea. The only way to really beat West is to make the offense create turnovers and put the defense is bad positions. Something St. X and Princeton were able to do in the first two weeks. As long as LW can manage to not shoot themselves in the foot offensively, they have a great chance to win this region.

Western Hills is the best Round 1 matchup they can hope for.
Elder is Bolden vs Ramsey, the two know each other well. Scrimmaged each other earlier in the season. I like the matchup here for LW.
Princeton Round 3 would be an amazing rematch game. It's hard to imagine a world where Bolden loses to the same conference rival twice in one year.
Moeller/Milford/St.X I think could be an amazing game, and would depend on a lot of early factors that are too early to state right now.

Elder won’t score more than 10 against Lakota West. They would be better served to try to win it very ugly, because the Lakota West offense isn’t very good.
Yes, Lakota West’s offense is very inconsistent but you have said multiple times on here that they aren’t very good. Princeton averages only 16.9 more yards and 1.9 more points than that offense.

So my question would be is Princeton’s Offense any good? If not then fair play but if you think they are then maybe reconsider that being a key point. And before you feel attacked, I am not just simply trying to understand logic here.

I'm going to make my hot take now. I think Lakota West has better odds to win the region this year than last year. Sure, last year's team was "More talented" and had a way more competent offense. But I think this LW defense is the best in school history, likely better than the one from 2020-2021. The question is going to be, how do you beat the defense? Last year the answer was simple. Run the ball down their throats. As we've seen this year, can't do that anymore. So what's the alternative? Pass the ball? With the defensive backfield Lakota West has, it's not a great idea. The only way to really beat West is to make the offense create turnovers and put the defense is bad positions. Something St. X and Princeton were able to do in the first two weeks. As long as LW can manage to not shoot themselves in the foot offensively, they have a great chance to win this region.

Western Hills is the best Round 1 matchup they can hope for.
Elder is Bolden vs Ramsey, the two know each other well. Scrimmaged each other earlier in the season. I like the matchup here for LW.
Princeton Round 3 would be an amazing rematch game. It's hard to imagine a world where Bolden loses to the same conference rival twice in one year.
Moeller/Milford/St.X I think could be an amazing game, and would depend on a lot of early factors that are too early to state right now.
That's not a hot take at all. Lakota West is either the favorite to win the region or at least 1a alongside Moeller.

Not only did Mason, Oak Hills and Sycamore tie for ninth in the points, they shared fifth place in the GMC. And they all beat each other.

All going to come down to if Marshall plays or not. I do not see Moeller getting past round 2 without him.
I'm not sure, Marshall sat out the second half vs. St. Ed's and they didn't sink without him (actually they put 21pts on the board compared to 0 in the first half).

Yes, Lakota West’s offense is very inconsistent but you have said multiple times on here that they aren’t very good. Princeton averages only 16.9 more yards and 1.9 more points than that offense.

So my question would be is Princeton’s Offense any good? If not then fair play but if you think they are then maybe reconsider that being a key point. And before you feel attacked, I am not just simply trying to understand logic here.
While the Princeton offense isn’t great either, they actually have an identity while the Lakota West offense does not. That’s the biggest difference for me. If West leaned into running read option with Wiles a lot more, I think they would be a lot better. They’re insistent on a spread passing attack that doesn’t work very well. They also rotate backs when, again, they should just play their best guy. Princeton is effectively running the triple option out of the shotgun with some quick passes as the 3rd option rather than a pitch. Their key players are also sophomores who have improved a ton this season. I just think it’s more reliable and I trust Princeton’s coaches to dial up a big play better. Both teams rely on very good defenses though.

Also, I don’t fully trust a coaching staff that looked at the options that Lakota West had at QB and decided that Wiles was the 3rd best coming into the season. Kid is pretty good, and certainly much better than the two guys they had ahead of him.

Thru 9 games, Marshall has carried the ball 159 times vs. 161 in 2022. Not sure where you people come up with this stuff?
Typical Elder poster! Post a rumor about a League Rival best Player. His post would be deleted in Elder Forum but won’t here. Only certain posters can say stuff in the Elder Forum🤔. I think Elder could beat LW

Typical Elder poster! Post a rumor about a League Rival best Player. His post would be deleted in Elder Forum but won’t here. Only certain posters can say stuff in the Elder Forum🤔. I think Elder could beat LW
You can't even tell the truth in the Elder forum if that truth is not purple rosey sunshine. They censor reality to make themselves feel better.

They say outsiders are welcome, but then you quickly realize it's only if you play up their biases.

Colerain was a power, is their talent level that bad or is the new head coach that bad?
Tom Bolden is a program builder. He galvanized the Little Cards program and created a winning culture into a huge success at Colerain. When he left, alot of the athletes that would have ended up at Colerain either followed him to LW or went elsewhere. You cannot underestimate the power of a great coach.

So it's really both. Bolden left and so did the talent. It would be tough for any coach going into that situation at Colerain. You have to keep the local kids at Colerain or you have no shot. It's going to take a miracle for Colerain to ever get back to that place again, especially as schools like Princeton, WW and LW continue their rise.

Honestly, Elder should be targeting Colerain's athletes hard, but they won't, because the legacy daddy's won't allow it.

Tom Bolden is a program builder. He galvanized the Little Cards program and created a winning culture into a huge success at Colerain. When he left, alot of the athletes that would have ended up at Colerain either followed him to LW or went elsewhere. You cannot underestimate the power of a great coach.

So it's really both. Bolden left and so did the talent. It would be tough for any coach going into that situation at Colerain. You have to keep the local kids at Colerain or you have no shot. It's going to take a miracle for Colerain to ever get back to that place again, especially as schools like Princeton, WW and LW continue their rise.

Honestly, Elder should be targeting Colerain's athletes hard, but they won't, because the legacy daddy's won't allow it.

You should seriously delete this post. If you don't know who Kerry Combs is or how he built Colerain's program, I would suggest not posting about Colerain at all.

There’s zero chance they lose to Springboro but then I also think it’s very unlikely that they beat Moeller. They could have been vulnerable against like a Hamilton, Sycamore, or Mason, but Springboro sucks.

Princeton is really really good. Well coached. Lots of talent. Still pretty young. I think all the GCL-S people will be surprised at how well-coached and disciplined Princeton is. Think early Colerain under Coombs.
Actually I have Princeton in State Final 4

Anyone who says that Fairfield has a shot at an upset isnt giving Milford any respect.

Milford went 10-0 and got a quality win against a very good Anderson team. They are going to give any team in this bracket a run for their money

All going to come down to if Marshall plays or not. I do not see Moeller getting past round 2 without him.
Moeller gets past round 2 with their JV squad