Div I, Region 4 Playoff Thread

I don’t like this…Generating turnovers is part of defense. They were able to generate two in key moments. That’s signs of a great defense.
That’s what’s wrong with many Elder Fans on here. It’s ALWAYS woulda,shoulda,coulda. Never heard so many excuses in my life! Not sure when it happened but many Westside Elder Fans have become soft. Elder played a pretty good 1st Half at LW and LW Played a pretty good 2nd Half including creating a few Turnovers at pretty crucial times imo. Really that simple,excuses are not even necessary.

Turnovers can occur for a wide variety of reasons, especially with high school kids. Many are caused by defense. Others are clearly just execution problems like fumbled snaps and muffed punts. Crediting defense for turnovers blindly is a mistake, each one needs to be evaluated on its own.

Elder as 8 yards away from scoring 28. Two killer turnovers in the 4th qtr killed the Panthers. This defense was nothing special at all. Brass trying to extend the ball over the goal line with 11 minutes to go and getting the ball knocked out would have cut the score to 24-21. Panthers then hold get the ball back and drive to the 7 and an interception in the endzone with 7 minutes to go was the coffin nail. Lets stop acting like West was special on defense because that was definitely not the case. Elder gave the game away with poor decisions near the goal line in the 4th quarter.
Elder gave the game away. Give me a break a stop with your excuses. Even if they score to cut it to 24-21 doesn’t guarantee they win. I mean Elder’s defense didn’t exactly stop the West offense. Princeton, Mason and Hamilton in that weak GMC as it’s been called this year had way better defenses then Elder.

Let’s get some predictions for Friday games. What are everyone’s score predictions?

LW 24-20 over Princeton
Moe 28-7 over Mason

Vikes 17-7 over West
Moe-34-14 over Mason
Setting up a classical late 80s show down between Princeton -Moe . Who I never lost too. Go Vikes .

They played a real opponent in Gahanna, who has a back every bit as good as Moeller's is. I guess you were going to completely ignore that part.
So you give props to Mason when they play Gahanna tough, but slam Princeton all year who beat Mason @ Mason, and held them to 3 points. The same Mason that played a "real opponent" Gahanna tough according to you. How convenient. Or are you going to completely ignore that part as you said?

Last edited:
Mason will have more fight in them than that. Don't forget in last year's playoffs, Moeller didn't put Mason away and they came back and nearly tied it up to force OT. Mason played them much tougher than LW did.
Game was also 24-0 halfway through the 4th quarter and Mason had a much better team last year.

Mason will have more fight in them than that. Don't forget in last year's playoffs, Moeller didn't put Mason away and they came back and nearly tied it up to force OT. Mason played them much tougher than LW did.
Speaking of fight...tempers flared after this game last year. Mason coach had to be held back by his staff after a comment by the Moeller coach?

Maybe, but I still think they have a bit more fight in them than just 3 points. Moeller also had a much better team last year.
Mason’s offense vs. good teams this year:

Gahanna Lincoln: 3
Hamilton: 6
Princeton: 3
Lakota West: 7
Milford: 3

So, yea, 3-7 points would be about right.

Very odd that a school the size of Mason, struggles to find a solid QB.
Mason uses the QB as a battering ram. He was the leading rusher against Milford. Apparently Castner wants a guy who can push the pile forward on 3rd down... I believe it's all part of his ground-control philosophy. Obviously the offense has been lackluster, but I do want to point out that toughness at QB has definitely been a part of why the Comets have made it this far (of course the defense has been extremely good).

Mason uses the QB as a battering ram. He was the leading rusher against Milford. Apparently Castner wants a guy who can push the pile forward on 3rd down... I believe it's all part of his ground-control philosophy. Obviously the offense has been lackluster, but I do want to point out that toughness at QB has definitely been a part of why the Comets have made it this far (of course the defense has been extremely good).
Mason also only averages 3.6 ypc this season after averaging 3.2 ypc last season. The offense, any way you look at it, is and has been pitiful. They actually did have a really good QB last year in Larson Brown who's playing D2 college football, and this year's, Quinn Brown (I think they're brothers, but there's been so many Browns at Mason it's hard to keep straight) has been good when he's been healthy. The biggest problem is the lack of any threat of an explosive play. I think Mason needs to seriously re-evaluate their offensive scheme and running game, because they actually do churn out good offensive linemen on a pretty consistent basis and they have backs that can hit a hole. Their offense this year has literally been dives into the line and QB boots that present a run-pass option for the QB to run or throw a shallow cross short of 10 yards. That's it. No ability to get the ball on the perimeter or throw over the top.

Especially since Mason generally is a very powerful school in most sports

A tough QB is great but at a school that size, you should have a kid running the offense that can hit the 15-20 yard passing routes on a consistent basis.

A tough QB is great but at a school that size, you should have a kid running the offense that can hit the 15-20 yard passing routes on a consistent basis.
Ideally that’s part of the repertoire- not sure if it’s a coaching issue. But it’s a good thing he can take a hit.

Turnovers can occur for a wide variety of reasons, especially with high school kids. Many are caused by defense. Others are clearly just execution problems like fumbled snaps and muffed punts. Crediting defense for turnovers blindly is a mistake, each one needs to be evaluated on its own.
Yes but in this case, LW LB Beerman physically strips the ball out of Brass' arm, and in the other case the Free Safety, Mason, recognized the play and hawked the ball down for an INT in the back of the endzone.
These turnovers were by no means "accidental" or "mistakes" these were deliberate and well-executed turnovers generated by the defense.

So you give props to Mason when they play Gahanna tough, but slam Princeton all year who beat Mason @ Mason, and held them to 3 points. The same Mason that played a "real opponent" Gahanna tough according to you. How convenient. Or are you going to completely ignore that part as you said?
Elyria Pioneers

Don’t like making predictions, but, here is my SWAG. Moeller 21 Mason 7, Princeton 17 Lakota West 14.

I think those are both good predictions. I'm not sure Mason scores on Moeller though. Mason defense should keep it within 3 touchdowns though. Princeton/LW toss up. I'll take Princeton in a close one. LW can't win this region with that offense. Their defense wins games, but not against Princeton.