Votes: 54 32.5%
  • Anderson by 1-8

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Anderson by 9-16

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Anderson by 17+

Votes: 12 7.2%

• Total voters
I actually expect Massillon to simply bust a lot of big runs. Anderson's defense will give up big plays, big points. Controlling the pace and tempo may be difficult because of the fact Massillon will simply break off big runs. I wonder if they'll use more of the play clock, a slower pace in that manner. But if kids break off 70+ yard runs, it is what it is.
I agree, the Tigers avg 6.7 yds every time they run the ball and I can’t imagine that changing much going against this D. There certainly won’t be a game plan for Massillon on offense to play anyway other then what they have done all season. The weather looks decent for Friday with wind at a minimum so the passing game will be there unlike last week. The black swarm has been dominant all season, especially against the run and getting to the QB, the DB’s and LB’s have a huge challenge this week and I can’t imagine them playing any different then they have all season.
As with any game it all starts up front on both sides of the line, control the LOS, run the ball, stop the run, don’t turn the ball over and win the special teams battle. Do that and it’s on to next Thursday.

Ok, I realize I'm going to draw fire for this question, but I ask it sincerely, not trying to be a troll at all...

In looking at all the factors that have to be weighed in this matchup, one that hasn't come up is mental. I'm just curious if anyone thinks Massillon will be playing with a mental weight of knowing their fanbase's obsession with getting that first "on the field" state championship? It feels like there could be a Buffalo Bills effect. Or how inevitable losing to Michigan felt for Ohio State fans in the 90's. Anyone have a sense of whether or not that filters down to the Massillon players in a game like this? Especially with how close they've gotten recently without getting over the hump? I would think Anderson might have a bit of a "house money" effect going for them, which definitely suits their attacking style.
While I understand your logic here, I don't think that is the case in the Tiger locker room. I think this gives them energy to be the first Massillon state tournament champion team

short field will result in points for the offenses. Long field will require perfect execution by the offenses and both teams have defenses that can get after it
No, a long field for Massillon will still result in points. No perfection required.
Field position may matter to Anderson, but scoring on possessions is all Massillon needs to do, and they should have no troubles with that task.
The weird feeling for Massillon at the end of this victory will be having a fresh, rested offensive line, and exhausted running backs from breaking long runs.

No, a long field for Massillon will still result in points. No perfection required.
Field position may matter to Anderson, but scoring on possessions is all Massillon needs to do, and they should have no troubles with that task.
The weird feeling for Massillon at the end of this victory will be having a fresh, rested offensive line, and exhausted running backs from breaking long runs.

Laying it on kinda thick aint you? I mean yes they've had a few track meets, but holding to Kings to 3, WW 13, couple others to 7-14 doesn't sound horrible. Granted I know WW was "scoring impaired" this year for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I agree, the Tigers avg 6.7 yds every time they run the ball and I can’t imagine that changing much going against this D. There certainly won’t be a game plan for Massillon on offense to play anyway other then what they have done all season. The weather looks decent for Friday with wind at a minimum so the passing game will be there unlike last week. The black swarm has been dominant all season, especially against the run and getting to the QB, the DB’s and LB’s have a huge challenge this week and I can’t imagine them playing any different then they have all season.
As with any game it all starts up front on both sides of the line, control the LOS, run the ball, stop the run, don’t turn the ball over and win the special teams battle. Do that and it’s on to next Thursday.
Speaking of special teams. I know Anderson doesn't punt much but the reason may be the long snapper isn't exactly shooting a missile to the punter. A blocked punt could happen if they decide to punt.

You do realize your HS Coach thinks Anderson is going to win this game...

We just need to show up and play our game and do what we do on both sides of the ball and execute at a high level...These young men of Massillon are battle tested and these young men collectively have played a lot of football over the last 4-5 years. We have to come out fast and with a controlled fury, we need to get after Anderson right away, can't afford a slow start against these young men from Anderson. We need to be able to disrupt the timing of this vaunted Anderson passing attack, if we can play physical with the Anderson WRs and get pressure by blowing up the middle of the Anderson Oline, getting immediate pressure in the face of the Qb that would be tremendous. Also I can't help but believe Coach Moore is very familiar with Anderson's style of play from his time at LaSalle and may have even had to prepare to play them in the past? Anderson obviously does present a unique challenge with the philosophy on offense, we've just got to overwhelm them and suffocate them early. We have the ability to do just that with our athletes. We need to unleash Shock and Awe against Anderson Friday night!

Speaking of special teams. I know Anderson doesn't punt much but the reason may be the long snapper isn't exactly shooting a missile to the punter. A blocked punt could happen if they decide to punt.
When Anderson punts they just have the QB do a quick kick from shotgun.
It has it's advantages because the other team often feels like it's risky to put someone back to return a kick, in case Anderson is running a regular play.

Yeah I'm not saying that at all. There's two lines of logic here. You beat Massillon thru the air b/c they'll stuff your run. Anderson has that potential. You beat Massillon by stuffing their run. Hoban has a great defense and great team speed. They have that potential. Hoban's offense isn't anything Massillon has to worry about. Anderson's defense isn't anything Massillon has to worry about. Yet the next two weeks are gonna be tests for those reasons.. though I think Massillon is the favorite, even against Hoban.
Massillon may very well win state and beat Anderson and Avon or Hoban. However, I disagree that Hoban's offense is nothing Massillon has to worry about. They are averaging 40 points a game , have a great O line with at least 3 d1 lineman who are being recruited by the likes of Ohio State,Michigan,NotreDame, Tennessee etc. They have 3 or 4 really fast big time receivers 2 great backs and their quarterback is getting better and better every game. He is fast and quick as a runner last week going 75 yards on a read option and is completing 68% of his passes.

They have 3 or 4 really fast big time receivers 2 great backs and their quarterback is getting better and better every game. He is fast and quick as a runner last week going 75 yards on a read option and is completing 68% of his passes.
What? We just heard from one of your compatriots that Hoban has neither a QB nor receivers. :p :stirthepot:

What? We just heard from one of your compatriots that Hoban has neither a QB nor receivers. :p :stirthepot:
The receivers are really good. I don't know what whoever said that is watching. The quarterback, the jury still may be out on him because he has played well but has always played with a lead with the running game clicking and hasn't faced a pressure situation. He played well against Eds but Tyrell basically had him hand off all night. Can he pass and play well in a state semifinal or a state championship when the lights are the brightest against a great opponent Avon, Massillon. It remains to be seen.

I THINK because the conversation started out with “what does Anderson do well” I’m sure 90% of the people on this post knows what we do well. We Run very well and we Pass very well…our defense is lights out.
The entire Massillon must control clock is nonsense! If Anderson plays no defense as insinuated, Massillon will score with slow methodical drives and with quick big play receptions! They don’t care which puts 6 points in the board! And the entire they don’t punt Massillon doesn’t care about that either. Get stops it doesn’t matter if the drive ends in a punt or on downs. How the stops happen is of no cosequence! I look forward to seeing Anderson in person. Few teams will be out athleting the Tigers, I don’t care if they run the ball or sling it! We will find out on Friday, but trying to get in a track meet with this Tiger team is as easy to accomplish as some have insinuated!

The entire Massillon must control clock is nonsense! If Anderson plays no defense as insinuated, Massillon will score with slow methodical drives and with quick big play receptions! They don’t care which puts 6 points in the board! And the entire they don’t punt Massillon doesn’t care about that either. Get stops it doesn’t matter if the drive ends in a punt or on downs. How the stops happen is of no cosequence! I look forward to seeing Anderson in person. Few teams will be out athleting the Tigers, I don’t care if they run the ball or sling it! We will find out on Friday, but trying to get in a track meet with this Tiger team is as easy to accomplish as some have insinuated!
Getting stops on all four downs is a lot of pressure on a defense, physically and mentally. As a fan, rooting against them, there's a palpable sense of dread you get on 3rd and 8, as you just know they're going to pick up six and you're going to have to stop a fourth and two. After they convert a few times, it starts to feel hopeless. Granted, if Massillon's the team that can actually stop them early, that psychological advantage could be reversed, but as a fan who saw them rip my team's heart out on fourth down after the best defense we could possibly play for three downs many times, don't discount the psychological impact of playing this way on defense for four quarters. It wears a defense down. Kings was up 21-7 on them at half, and lost 42-21. At a certain point, the bending breaks.

Very physical and athletic defense that has played this Anderson offense a ton of times.
Okay, let’s say for the sake of this conversation that Massillon is similar to WW athletically but hasn’t played them so they’ll score 2 additional TDs vs Massillon. Do you think the Anderson defense can hold the Tigers offense under 35?

I think if its a high scoring game, Anderson wins it. Massillon's approach on offense doesn't want a high scoring game. I see it 28-14 tigers. Not that Massillon can't score a ton.. it just isn't how they want to approach this game.

I think that is fair.

Also some people have been implying that for Massillon to win it is to slow it down and grind it out and none of us are saying that. We are saying control the clock or limiting opportunities with their potent running game and slow Anderson down and they should be marching on to the finals.

Last edited:
I really, really get the sense this is the year Massillon finally wins one. I'll be rooting for the local team to pull the huge upset, but I'm thinking 49-28 Tigers.

Also, my God, the field is going to be rough to look at with all that dreadful orange and black out there. It's going to look like a Spirit Halloween threw up.

Okay, let’s say for the sake of this conversation that Massillon is similar to WW athletically but hasn’t played them so they’ll score 2 additional TDs vs Massillon. Do you think the Anderson defense can hold the Tigers offense under 35?

Hmm probably not. Having said that they have been opportunistic with forcing turnovers.

So I have heard. If Massillon plays a clean game I struggle to see how Anderson scores enough and stops them enough.
I agree. I got the sense that Massillon was toying with their regional opponents and just doing the minimum to win from a play calling perspective. They also tend to play with too much emotion against local teams that they don’t see regularly as there is no shortage of beef when it comes to local teams and Massillon 😂

Massillon may very well win state and beat Anderson and Avon or Hoban. However, I disagree that Hoban's offense is nothing Massillon has to worry about. They are averaging 40 points a game , have a great O line with at least 3 d1 lineman who are being recruited by the likes of Ohio State,Michigan,NotreDame, Tennessee etc. They have 3 or 4 really fast big time receivers 2 great backs and their quarterback is getting better and better every game. He is fast and quick as a runner last week going 75 yards on a read option and is completing 68% of his passes.
They’ve done really well against inferior opponents, then the offense starts lacking against good teams with good defenses. There’s no question that their defense is the strength of their team. Tyrrell will want to run it like typical. He’s going to find tough sledding though.

Getting stops on all four downs is a lot of pressure on a defense, physically and mentally. As a fan, rooting against them, there's a palpable sense of dread you get on 3rd and 8, as you just know they're going to pick up six and you're going to have to stop a fourth and two. After they convert a few times, it starts to feel hopeless. Granted, if Massillon's the team that can actually stop them early, that psychological advantage could be reversed, but as a fan who saw them rip my team's heart out on fourth down after the best defense we could possibly play for three downs many times, don't discount the psychological impact of playing this way on defense for four quarters. It wears a defense down. Kings was up 21-7 on them at half, and lost 42-21. At a certain point, the bending breaks.
And not a getting a first down on 4th puts you in a real big hole and adds to the pressure you are under against this football team!