Curse of Massillon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throwback

It seems like Massillon has a great team almost every year. I read somewhere that they are0-50 in the playoff age. Is there some curse like the old curse of the Bambino in Boston? Am I missing something? Nobody can be that unlucky for so long. Anyone know a good exorcist?

No curse, just something that calls into question the validity of all those paper titles that were awarded to Massillon decades and decades ago by drunken sportswriters throughout Ohio.
I mean… you may have a point of Massillon was still the same city/school/enrollment as the 40’s and 50’s. But since it isn’t, it’s kinda of a dumb point lol.

No curse, just the odds. Absolutely many of the poll titles are valid, they were the best team, they would've won it on the field. It has been a hard road to hoe in Stark County for a city school the last 40 years and for a suburban team the last 20 years. And now even for a private school.

Any kind of single elimination tournament is very tough to win. I bet you can look at the playoffs every year and atleast a couple of the divisions most people would agree maybe the best team didn’t win that year. I’d still wager any amount of money on 2014 CCC would win 9/10 games against coldwater. But all it took was the 1 game. It’s tough to win.

Massillon was still in the AAC when the playoffs started and only one team made it per region.

The playoffs dictated you played for points. While Massillon and other heavyweights played to impress voters with brutal schedules. Those two ideas were incompatible.

Throw in that most manufacturing nose dived in the 70s at the same time as the playoffs started and Massillon became the small school in the biggest division.

They could punch above their weight but didn't mean they could always win those matches.

Should've got out of the AAC earlier and the OHSAA should've never had just 12 teams in a state that had over 800 teams at the time make the playoffs.

But Massillon is the greatest program in the history of the sport...just ask their fans.
The funny thing is, if your hatred didn’t blind you, you’d maybe get it.
My kid goes to private schools. He knows he’s going to Canton Central Catholic. But he still loves going to Massillon games and watching them play. The support they give the team… even an 8 year old kid who has nothing to do with the school can feel it. It’s a shame there’s so many people like you who are jealous af of it. It means something to kids.

CCC lost that game by 41 points but would have won the next nine times they played?
Easily. Then the next two years Coldwater was better and CCC beat them in 16. So the best team didn’t win that year either. 16 was the opposite. Coldwater woulda beat them 9/10 times.

Hoying/Coldwater played their best game of the year and caught CCC at their worst. Otten said that too if you remember. Coldwater scores first, Ccc immediately turns it over right back to them and Coldwater scored again quickly. CCC panicked and got out of their offense being down 14 and it spiraled out of control. That doesn’t happen 9/10 times. CcC just got done beating Ursuline and Hartley pretty handily both that may have been better than Coldwater.

Last edited:
Massillon was still in the AAC when the playoffs started and only one team made it per region.

The playoffs dictated you played for points. While Massillon and other heavyweights played to impress voters with brutal schedules. Those two ideas were incompatible.

Throw in that most manufacturing nose dived in the 70s at the same time as the playoffs started and Massillon became the small school in the biggest division.

They could punch above their weight but didn't mean they could always win those matches.

Should've got out of the AAC earlier and the OHSAA should've never had just 12 teams in a state that had over 800 teams at the time make the playoffs.

OHSAA really never got it right until the playoffs were expanded to 32 in each division. Even before that one, lots of undefeated teams missed the playoffs.

I think it is nothing more than evidence of how hard it is to win a state championship
Bingo, winning a state championship in any of the 7 divisions is very hard to do. You have to be a great team, you have to avoid the injury bug to your best players, you must have depth to deal with injuries, you have to run a gauntlet of now 6 games against teams that have had great seasons and as important as all those things are….. you have to have some luck….. the ball bouncing your way so to speak. Very very few teams have won a title without a close win where the “ball bounced” their way. If Green goes on to win the championship they will point to that one play in the Massillon game where they simply “got lucky”. I’m sure Tiger fans can point to many instances where the ball just didn’t bounce their way and kept them
from a few titles. But hey, that’s how the ball bounces!!!

OHSAA really never got it right until the playoffs were expanded to 32 in each division. Even before that one, lots of undefeated teams missed the playoffs.
I'd love to see that format return -- though didn't it result in a 10-0 team not making it way back?

I don't like Division I being the one that's gotta be the sacrificial lamb to get revenue the way it is today but eh.

Massillon is still one of the best run programs in the state. However, they do not have the talent they once had. For that matter, none of the Northeast Ohio teams do. The loss of manufacturing jobs caused may people to move where the jobs are, so now you have great football in places like Florida and Texas. In Ohio it's Columbus. They have also come up against some really loaded teams over the years. LaSalle and Hoban have been just physically better than Massillon. This year's team probably over performed considering the adversity they went through. That being said, I am surprised that Green beat them, but Green is pretty tough and has been growing as a program. Massillon was really young this year, and I expect them to be phenomenal next year. It's one of the reasons I'm bummed that we has so many injuries because I thought we could beat them this year.

Easily. Then the next two years Coldwater was better and CCC beat them in 16. So the best team didn’t win that year either. 16 was the opposite. Coldwater woulda beat them 9/10 times.

Hoying/Coldwater played their best game of the year and caught CCC at their worst. Otten said that too if you remember. Coldwater scores first, Ccc immediately turns it over right back to them and Coldwater scored again quickly. CCC panicked and got out of their offense being down 14 and it spiraled out of control. That doesn’t happen 9/10 times. CcC just got done beating Ursuline and Hartley pretty handily both that may have been better than Coldwater.
Coldwater was not better in 16 ( loss to a 4 loss Minster in the reg. season by 15 pts. ) than 14 or 15. Sober up and drink some coffee.

Being perennially good but just not quite good enough has to be some kind of curse. Maybe they could bring in a Shaman for a half time ceremony next year. Certainly cheaper than a new indoor practice facility.

Coldwater was not better in 16 ( loss to a 4 loss Minster in the reg. season by 15 pts. ) than 14 or 15. Sober up and drink some coffee.
And CCC had 3 losses. What’s your point? That it’s worse to lose one game to a team that played in the state championship vs only winning 6 regular season games? Great logic lol

Last edited:
Coming from a whole different part of the state, the constant talk about this school and their tremendous success back in the day is really strange. The record speaks for itself, both back then and today. They were once the top program in the state by a wide margin. They are no longer that, but are consistently good to excellent. Is it as simpe as envy over their history?

Status
Not open for further replies.