Curse of Massillon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was one of Massillon's lesser talented teams and they played in one of the weakest division two regions in recent years. The perception of them was in part caused by the weakness of the competition in the region.

Are we talking about the Uber-tough, super duper total BA that is Massillons D coord? I was told a couple years ago that he’s super tough and to not make fun of the women’s coat he was sporting on the sideline.
He’s just the D-line coach. He’s a goof. Go check his store out though. Simon Says I believe it’s called. He’s a great t-shirt maker ?

He’s just the D-line coach. He’s a goof. Go check his store out though. Simon Says I believe it’s called. He’s a great t-shirt maker ?
I don’t know him personally. He was a D1 college football player right? I’d imagine he knows a little bit about football.

Coming from a whole different part of the state, the constant talk about this school and their tremendous success back in the day is really strange. The record speaks for itself, both back then and today. They were once the top program in the state by a wide margin. They are no longer that, but are consistently good to excellent. Is it as simpe as envy over their history?
In the surrounding communities there are some snobs who have historically looked down on the town. And some were jealous.

In Massillon, there is a small but loud contingent that is so obsessive they actually do value athletics over academics. Annoying is an understatement because that sells kids who don't know any better short.

When I worked a job in the area years back I had a boss who had moved here from New York and she asked me, man, what is it with you guys and the high schools? A lot of tribalism in Stark County but it's a fraction of what it used to be. Green's magic storyline was too good to pass up but had Massillon won I'd want them to win the state title because I think athletics in a community is important as a civic institution -- the collapse in attendance the past 15 years in Ohio is depressing.

The purpose of my post is not to dump on Massillon. They have had a great program forever. It is easy to criticize the Tigers based on some of the overzealous and delusional fan base’s rantings. Question is, is that goal of an on field state championship getting farther away? Or is it a curse? Maybe the Canton people have a voodoo doll with a lot of pins in it.

No curse, just something that calls into question the validity of all those paper titles that were awarded to Massillon decades and decades ago by drunken sportswriters throughout Ohio.
Fools question the validity of their titles.

Massillon won those titles with the system in place. Their traditions and program are amazing.

Constantly belittling their accomplishments is petty and it's why so many think Ignatius fans are arrogant a-holes. (And so many are)

Massillon will get that elusive playoff title and I will be thrilled when they do.

Massillon won those titles with the system in place. Their traditions and program are amazing.

Constantly belittling their accomplishments is petty and it's why so many think Ignatius fans are arrogant a-holes. (And so many are)

Massillon will get that elusive playoff title and I will be thrilled when they do.
????????

Many of the Ignatius people on the soccer thread think highly of me. Of course since you have stated that you hate soccer, you wouldn't know that.

You
Many of the Ignatius people on the soccer thread think highly of me. Of course since you have stated that you hate soccer, you wouldn't know that.
You have repeatedly made asinine comments about other schools and even a kid. Then you cowardly blamed it on your age.

But you're a lot like many other arrogant Ignatius grads. Why do you care what Massillon paid Moore?

You

You have repeatedly made asinine comments about other schools and even a kid. Then you cowardly blamed it on your age.

But you're a lot like many other arrogant Ignatius grads. Why do you care what Massillon paid Moore?
Would you please get off my back? Find something else to post about.

Not what I said. Being a former D1 player has nothing to do with understanding the game more than being a former D3 player does.
Let me help with your reading comprehension struggles. 3rd grade was tough, I know.
I said “He was a D1 college football player right? I’d imagine he knows a little bit about football”. You which you replied “Not always the case.”
Now I do agree with you that D3 vs D1 doesn’t mean you have a better understanding of football. But that point wasn’t made or argued. That would be called a strawman fallacy. I argued he knows a bit about football bc he played at a high level. You disagreed.

hope this helps.

Let me help with your reading comprehension struggles. 3rd grade was tough, I know.
I said “He was a D1 college football player right? I’d imagine he knows a little bit about football”. You which you replied “Not always the case.”
Now I do agree with you that D3 vs D1 doesn’t mean you have a better understanding of football. But that point wasn’t made or argued. That would be called a strawman fallacy. I argued he knows a bit about football bc he played at a high level. You disagreed.

hope this helps.
You were representing your statement as that because he played D1 he is a good coach/knows football. A lot of factors go into that. Some guys just have the measurables and can get it done athletically, and don’t necessarily understand the entire game more than a guy who played in HS.
I haven’t thrown any insults your way, it’s all good buddy, I’m sure you’re reeling right now. You should be concerned about your friends well being.

Last edited by a moderator:
You were representing your statement as that because he played D1 he is a good coach/knows football. A lot of factors go into that. Some guys just have the measurables and can get it done athletically, and don’t necessarily understand the entire game more than a guy who played in HS.
I haven’t thrown any insults your way, it’s all good buddy, I’m sure you’re reeling right now. You should be concerned about your friends well being.
I represented the statement exactly what I said. Verbatim. It wasn’t directed to you in the first place. You just felt the urge to chime in. Right?

“My team” lost in round one to Mogadore. Reeling from it would mean I have some kind of emotional attachment to the team which, unless my kid is playing, I don’t. I have a nephew playing there but I got over it pretty quickly. Maybe people oughta question why they have an emotional attachment, or at least some sort of invested interest in Massillon losing. We have people commenting and liking literally every post on here whose own team got beat by 19 to Hoban, yet were ecstatic bc Massillon lost. It’s so weird lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any kind of single elimination tournament is very tough to win. I bet you can look at the playoffs every year and atleast a couple of the divisions most people would agree maybe the best team didn’t win that year. I’d still wager any amount of money on 2014 CCC would win 9/10 games against coldwater. But all it took was the 1 game. It’s tough to win.

I should hope CCC would do better after the absolute clinic Coldwater put on for their benefit. Some maybe more memorial than others like what to do when your opponent fails to put a man on your gunner on a punt.

Status
Not open for further replies.