Central Buckeye Conference (CBC) 2023

I'm surprised that the Urbana Qb doesn't really get mentioned in these conversations. Looks like he lead the league passing and was very mobile and accurate when throwing on the run. I realize the the competition plays a part and maybe undersized, but seemed really high IQ and had a clock ticking when to run or throw it away.

I'm surprised that the Urbana Qb doesn't really get mentioned in these conversations. Looks like he lead the league passing and was very mobile and accurate when throwing on the run. I realize the the competition plays a part and maybe undersized, but seemed really high IQ and had a clock ticking when to run or throw it away.
For me and probably most that follow the CBC, Urbana was a shock. 2020 they were 0-7, 2021 they were 2-8 and last year 9-3 with a playoff win and I thought a good, competitive game against Massie...if they could have gotten a couple of stops on defense maybe they would have taken that game. If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump it's arse when it hops, lol

Going over the stats, the kid has started at QB since he was a Freshman
2020 (7 games) - 8 for 27, 148 yards with 1 TD and 0 INT. 39 rushes for 81 yards
2021 - 88 for 180, 1041 yards with 4 TD and 7 INT, 70 rushes for 108 yards
2022 - 161 for 292, 2838 yards with 29 TD and 4 INT, 64 rushes for 177 yards. His best passing game was against Massie with 401 yards.

He was my pick to be the CBC Mad River Division OPOY last year but that went to his teammate and not a bad choice but I wonder if he were a Sr last year if he would not have picked up that honor. This year there are a lot of big fish in the pond he will be swimming. St. Clair, Fogan, Sollers, Jewel....

This year may be a rude awaking for the Climbers since they go up to the Kenton Trail Division and have lost 3 of their top 4 receivers. There is a very big difference playing in the Mad River versus the Kenton Trail, evident with their blow out loss against London last year. Now they have Bellefontaine and Alder to contend with and Tecumseh may not be easy for them. Again, based on last year and blowing out Kenton Ridge, this year may come down to those two teams trying to win one divisional game...against each other (purely spit balling here).

I agree with your assessment and dont get me wrong, I like the kid and the way he plays but he will have to bring those stats against Massie into every divisional game to give the team a chance at being top 3 and I just dont see it.

Finally, I think Urbana can go 2-1 in the OOC schedule with wins over Belmont and Bethel (beating Ft. Recovery would be great for them). Then beating Graham ( I'm up in the air on that one and Graham has some payback coming for losing 2X to them last year) and North Union will possibly be a loss, 3-2 at best, going into divisional play. They need to beat KR to give them a chance at making the playoffs at 4-6 but would probably solidify their playoffs beating 1 of the DIII divisional teams or DIV Alder. At a minimum, they need to be 5-5 to sneak in the top 16 of the region...6-4 and I think they are good to go.

Then again, what do I know...its only June

Last edited:
Good info thanks. I didn't realize they were moving to the big side of the league, good chance for 15 to prove himself and that he belongs in the conversation. The schedule definitely picks up strength so it will be interesting to see if they can compete. I wish them the best, and hopefully a rematch at CM though lol

LOL,,, you seem to be a newcomer to this whole thing. Dude, I have watched these cats since 1990, O'Roark through Meeks, and probably the best HS team I have seen in the CBC at DIII (they were DII at one time) was 92-93 (memory fades me a bit). That team was amazing and lost to Clyde on a goal line stand in the state quarters, with a BS play call. What other CBC teams, outside of Urbana, has played in a state semi or final? I would think if you queried any CBC coach today, and asked them about what team they dread, prepare for more or fear the most, it would Shawnee. Dont sell the Braves short, records are what they are , but what the Braves bring to the table is beyond wins and losses. Their offense is beyond normal, lower level, high school approaches (evident to those knowledgeable in that facet of the game)..if you know ANYTHING about offense. Ask any and I mean any D coordinator in the CBC (I have). Their defense is strategically sound but lacking players, again, ask any CBC O coordinator (I have). You put the SHS staff at Springfield HS with the talent there, they beat St. Eds...everyday of the week.

So what if SHS asked to be moved to the little school. Does that impede their competitiveness against the "big" CBC schools that have represented squat on the state level? Trust me, Shawnee is relevant no matter what division in the CBC they play in football.

This forum is about football or we can talk about Graham needing to be DI in wrestling....
I doubt that

I'd have Urbana at 4-1 going into divisional play, losing to Ft. Recovery. In terms of production I would say they return quite a bit more than North Union.

Might be pressed to find more than one Kenton Trail win though. I think they go 5-5...floor of 4-6, ceiling is probably 6-4 for their first year back in the Kenton Trail.

I doubt that
don’t doubt it. gamma knows his stuff!

the Shawnee program is run just as well as almost any small school program. they have severely lacked talent some years but still find ways to win. not to mention, they have a lot of kids who don’t have great support systems at home. Meeks gets the most out of what he has and that’s evident when you watch them.

don’t doubt it. gamma knows his stuff!

the Shawnee program is run just as well as almost any small school program. they have severely lacked talent some years but still find ways to win. not to mention, they have a lot of kids who don’t have great support systems at home. Meeks gets the most out of what he has and that’s evident when you watch them.
Don’t want to talk about a coach because he is a good dude. So we can agree to disagree.👍

Last player close was BHS pre CBC days.
BHS had Gail Clark and Jessie Williams. Both offered by every school in the country. Jessie got hurt early in his career. Coach Clark was All Big 10 and a 3rd round draft pick. Played 3 seasons in the NFL.

Saw clips of St Clair at the OSU camp. Is he the highest rated most heavily recruited player in CBC history?
i am wondering the same question.

i recall london having some kids back in the day. i’m sure Shawnee, Kenton Ridge, and Urbana have all had some dudes before.

but in modern recruiting, i’d say no doubt it’s St Clair.

i am wondering the same question.

i recall london having some kids back in the day. i’m sure Shawnee, Kenton Ridge, and Urbana have all had some dudes before.

but in modern recruiting, i’d say no doubt it’s St Clair.
I remember the CBC pretty well all the way back to the mid 80s. There is nobody at Shawnee or KR that is even close. A couple of Rogans at Urbana were recruited by and went to The Ohio State but I don’t know how heavily offered by other schools they were. London had 2 or 3 that went to OSU and other BIG schools but that was when they were in another conference.

I remember the CBC pretty well all the way back to the mid 80s. There is nobody at Shawnee or KR that is even close. A couple of Rogans at Urbana were recruited by and went to The Ohio State but I don’t know how heavily offered by other schools they were. London had 2 or 3 that went to OSU and other BIG schools but that was when they were in another conference.
i must be thinking of baseball then. i know KR/Shawnee have produced some absolutely outstanding athletes. i wasn’t sure if any of the Rogans ended up at Ohio State?

Greg Rogan started 40+ games for the Buckeyes. Urbana has had 3-4 other players in the 80s and 90s that were on Ohio State's roster, but he might have been the only scholarship player.

Donnie Nickey (Jonathan Alder) was a 4 year starter and a captain on Ohio State's 2002-03 national championship team. Andre Tyree (London) had some odds and ends playing time on the OL in early to mid 2000s.

Old timers: Dick LeBeau (London) was a two-way player (RB/DB) on Ohio State's 1957 national championship team and went on to be inducted in Canton in 2010 for his professional career as a DB for the Detroit Lions.

Another old-timer I’ll plug, although he didn’t have nearly the same level of stardom as Dick LeBeau, is Paul Hildreth (Bellefontaine class of 1940) who went on to letter in football at Miami (FL.)

Greg Rogan started 40+ games for the Buckeyes. Urbana has had 3-4 other players in the 80s and 90s that were on Ohio State's roster, but he might have been the only scholarship player.

Donnie Nickey (Jonathan Alder) was a 4 year starter and a captain on Ohio State's 2002-03 national championship team. Andre Tyree (London) had some odds and ends playing time on the OL in early to mid 2000s.

Old timers: Dick LeBeau (London) was a two-way player (RB/DB) on Ohio State's 1957 national championship team and went on to be inducted in Canton in 2010 for his professional career as a DB for the Detroit Lions.

Greg had the most starts but Patrick was probably the most talented of the Rogans. He won state in the 400m as a freshman in high school. He started some as a true freshman linebacker on John Cooper's first OSU team, but transferred out due to "issues." Glen Mason then brought him to Kansas where he started his first eligible season after sitting out the transfer year before being dismissed from the team for more "issues."

Nickey and Tyree never played in the CBC though. Even if they had I’d argue St Clair is more heavily recruited.

Just talking football. No baseball,basketball or wrestling. I know the Rogans from Urbana were recruited/played for Buckeyes. Jesse Williams(RIP) and Gail Clark from Bellefontaine were recruited by every big school in the country and attended Michigan State. I know Alder and London have had some big recruits (not great knowledge on these teams due to short time in conference). St. Clair is bigger than all of these guys due to simply being a QB and having all these offers as a Soph. in HS. Great for the conference and for small town football.

Go back and read my post. i only talked about what he does on the field.
I think the "I doubt that" comes from my verbose statement that if Meeks had the talent that Springfield has they would beat St. Ed... That may have been out of line but just considering what the Braves have done with what they had or have is impressive to me. Mo has been surrounded by ultra talent his entire coaching career and I wonder how well he would do with just average. Just because Meeks is a DIV coach does not mean he has less than a DI mind for the game and IMO he and his staff has the greatest ability to milk the best out of the talent available to them.

Just talking football. No baseball,basketball or wrestling. I know the Rogans from Urbana were recruited/played for Buckeyes. Jesse Williams(RIP) and Gail Clark from Bellefontaine were recruited by every big school in the country and attended Michigan State. I know Alder and London have had some big recruits (not great knowledge on these teams due to short time in conference). St. Clair is bigger than all of these guys due to simply being a QB and having all these offers as a Soph. in HS. Great for the conference and for small town football.
Going to agree St. Clair is now the benchmark for the CBC but I wonder if the Rogans were playing today and with social media, etc. how much attention they would have garnered throughout the nation? There are so many more tools available to college coaches now to see kids nationally than past decades ago. Just a different perspective.

I do remember a QB at KR from the 90s, Thor ????, that kid was probably the best throwing QB I have seen in the CBC. I have no idea what happened to him after high school but he was a good one. Greenon had a kid that went to AF Academy and played for DeBerry, early 2000s and another Marty Minna, that went to Toledo or Akron and was drafted by the Broncos in the 70s (hearsay). Finally, I went to a Shawnee BBall game some years ago and walking through the halls there was a TTUN Rose Bowl jersey from a kid I think played on the first SHS playoff team...Young?

I know this is a CBC thread but I thought you may know what happened to Wagner from SCC? I heard he had transferred to Arizona State but seemed to drop off the map after that.

Going to agree St. Clair is now the benchmark for the CBC but I wonder if the Rogans were playing today and with social media, etc. how much attention they would have garnered throughout the nation? There are so many more tools available to college coaches now to see kids nationally than past decades ago. Just a different perspective.

I do remember a QB at KR from the 90s, Thor ????, that kid was probably the best throwing QB I have seen in the CBC. I have no idea what happened to him after high school but he was a good one. Greenon had a kid that went to AF Academy and played for DeBerry, early 2000s and another Marty Minna, that went to Toledo or Akron and was drafted by the Broncos in the 70s (hearsay). Finally, I went to a Shawnee BBall game some years ago and walking through the halls there was a TTUN Rose Bowl jersey from a kid I think played on the first SHS playoff team...Young?
Cyle Young. He also was a pretty great HS wrestler. Not sure what happened to that stuff during the remodel, but was just up there 3 weeks ago and none of it is on display anymore.

Cyle Young. He also was a pretty great HS wrestler. Not sure what happened to that stuff during the remodel, but was just up there 3 weeks ago and none of it is on display anymore.
Oh no! I love the histories these schools have and hope it hasn't been shelved and they find a good place to display. I did not know about his wrestling, I always think of Hart and Allen as those guys and some pretty good football players to boot.

If I recall correctly he transferred during the time of Rich Rod. He didn’t quite agree with Rich Rod’s methods and his morals and attitude as a coach. Have heard from multiple people that Rich Rod wasn’t a great human being

Yeah Cyle Young was a walk on at Michigan for football. Was a better wrestler. Also I believe was originally from Northeastern. One of many transfers Shawnee attracted to form that great team. Also had Brandon Godsey who came from North and went on to start at DB for Miami (OH). And a speedster by the name of Heath Lambert who came over from Southeastern. A reminder to everyone that transfers aren’t a new thing “ruining” high school and don’t only benefit private schools.