Central Buckeye Conference (CBC) 2023

That is true but how do the Braves do in the playoffs? IMO, SHS plays a fairly solid OOC schedule and then they have competed well in the KTD. What was that Alder vs SHS score last year? Granted they do not run the table on the KTD but they are a snake in the grass to the bigger schools. Do they need to roll up the OOC to cupcakes, pad their win/losses? When was the last time Alder or London played Clinton Massie, Springfield, etc.? Remember we are talking about a DIV and at times DV school.
11-8 since 2011 with 4 wins in 2011 state runner up season( so .500 otherwise). shawnee 49-21. Playing and beating are two different things. And sometimes a division 3 school.

Just stating the facts, Shawnee asked to move down to the little division. Which they needed to do that so they can stay relevant. Some of their sports are really struggling. I think this move will help them overall.

11-8 since 2011 with 4 wins in 2011 state runner up season( so .500 otherwise). shawnee 49-21. Playing and beating are two different things. And sometimes a division 3 school.

Just stating the facts, Shawnee asked to move down to the little division. Which they needed to do that so they can stay relevant. Some of their sports are really struggling. I think this move will help them overall.
LOL,,, you seem to be a newcomer to this whole thing. Dude, I have watched these cats since 1990, O'Roark through Meeks, and probably the best HS team I have seen in the CBC at DIII (they were DII at one time) was 92-93 (memory fades me a bit). That team was amazing and lost to Clyde on a goal line stand in the state quarters, with a BS play call. What other CBC teams, outside of Urbana, has played in a state semi or final? I would think if you queried any CBC coach today, and asked them about what team they dread, prepare for more or fear the most, it would Shawnee. Dont sell the Braves short, records are what they are , but what the Braves bring to the table is beyond wins and losses. Their offense is beyond normal, lower level, high school approaches (evident to those knowledgeable in that facet of the game)..if you know ANYTHING about offense. Ask any and I mean any D coordinator in the CBC (I have). Their defense is strategically sound but lacking players, again, ask any CBC O coordinator (I have). You put the SHS staff at Springfield HS with the talent there, they beat St. Eds...everyday of the week.

So what if SHS asked to be moved to the little school. Does that impede their competitiveness against the "big" CBC schools that have represented squat on the state level? Trust me, Shawnee is relevant no matter what division in the CBC they play in football.

This forum is about football or we can talk about Graham needing to be DI in wrestling....

Last edited:
Sorry to touch a nerve. They do have the best staff around. They are also very difficult to prepare for. They have had great success.

And they haven't won a league championship in over 10 years. (for whatever reason) So good move to ASK to do down a division.

Sorry to touch a nerve. They do have the best staff around. They are also very difficult to prepare for. They have had great success.

And they haven't won a league championship in over 10 years. (for whatever reason) So good move to ASK to do down a division.
I love the CBC and OHC and I'll go to bat for those schools, not matter what I have to make up to make a point, lol. Yes, SHS has not won a division in forever and I am sure that is a goal that they set but they do have state goals too. From what I see at SHS they want any and all to prep for the playoff run. Really, who wants to play Valley View week 1 (off schedule this year)?. Hopefully, this year they are not as beat and banged up with their regular season schedule to make more noise in the playoffs.

I will agree with you the MRD is a better fit for them at this time but it is not a cake walk considering North Union being there and who knows what Graham and an outsider Ben Logan has in the mix.

Just imagine if I were just a Shawnee fan? lol.

Brookie, I'm good with you...welcome aboard and look forward to your posts. Peace!

plenty of merit to many points made above about Shawnee.

Rick Meeks is the best coach in the central buckeye conference and i don’t think it’s much of a debate. they simply overachieve year in and year out with the roster they have. i have seen Shawnee play many times over the last decade and a half or so.. sure they have some absolute “dudes” here and there (looking at you, McCory brothers and Robie Glass!) but other than that, you look at the talent they have an it’s not much different than what Greenon or Northeastern has on a yearly basis. bottom line is, Rick Meeks out-coaches the opposing coaching staff 95% of the time. very few times in recent memory where i can confidently say that Shawnee lost a game solely because they were out coached.

Like i mentioned above, Shawnee has overachieved in the Kenton Trail over the years. they have no business beating the likes of Tippecanoe, Stebbins, Bellefontaine, London, and Jonathan Alder, yet they have found themselves competing and even beating those teams on a fairly consistent basis.

in my old opinion, Shawnee is a model small school program. they are usually not the most talented squad, but they are in contention almost every year and that’s because the coaching staff squeezes every ounce out of there roster that they can.

Brookie, i have to agree with you that Shawnee was due to move down to the Mad River division. i think they should be able to dominate at that level, and the kids deserve to be playing teams that are similar size as them. this was a great move for them and i predict a lot of success for the Braves program, and plenty of 9-1/8-2 seasons that result in high playoff seeds. the only downside i see to moving down is that the Mad River won’t prepare them for the Tafts and Valley Views of the world in the playoffs. however, i would trust Meeks and co. to be prepared.

whew! that was too much complimenting the Braves for me. give respect where it is due, i guess.

plenty of merit to many points made above about Shawnee.

Rick Meeks is the best coach in the central buckeye conference and i don’t think it’s much of a debate. they simply overachieve year in and year out with the roster they have. i have seen Shawnee play many times over the last decade and a half or so.. sure they have some absolute “dudes” here and there (looking at you, McCory brothers and Robie Glass!) but other than that, you look at the talent they have an it’s not much different than what Greenon or Northeastern has on a yearly basis. bottom line is, Rick Meeks out-coaches the opposing coaching staff 95% of the time. very few times in recent memory where i can confidently say that Shawnee lost a game solely because they were out coached.

Like i mentioned above, Shawnee has overachieved in the Kenton Trail over the years. they have no business beating the likes of Tippecanoe, Stebbins, Bellefontaine, London, and Jonathan Alder, yet they have found themselves competing and even beating those teams on a fairly consistent basis.

in my old opinion, Shawnee is a model small school program. they are usually not the most talented squad, but they are in contention almost every year and that’s because the coaching staff squeezes every ounce out of there roster that they can.

Brookie, i have to agree with you that Shawnee was due to move down to the Mad River division. i think they should be able to dominate at that level, and the kids deserve to be playing teams that are similar size as them. this was a great move for them and i predict a lot of success for the Braves program, and plenty of 9-1/8-2 seasons that result in high playoff seeds. the only downside i see to moving down is that the Mad River won’t prepare them for the Tafts and Valley Views of the world in the playoffs. however, i would trust Meeks and co. to be prepared.

whew! that was too much complimenting the Braves for me. give respect where it is due, i guess.
Knightsfan, I hope the OHC faithful don't bar your from their site, lol. I agree with you, brother. Man oh man, those were some good games when Greenon and Shawnee met up with similar talent several years ago. The Rice kid was amazing, plus his receivers. Wow!

I would love for SHS to get Mechanicsburg, Greenview or West Jeff on their OOC and I dont know why they look to Stebbins, Maderia, Eaton, Valley View, etc.. The top tier OHC has the competitiveness the Braves should be looking for plus the shorter drives. But, I get it...in a way.

I think the last time SHS and WJ played, the Riders handed them their arse in the playoffs. That was some team WJ had.

Knightsfan, I hope the OHC faithful don't bar your from their site, lol. I agree with you, brother. Man oh man, those were some good games when Greenon and Shawnee met up with similar talent several years ago. The Rice kid was amazing, plus his receivers. Wow!

I would love for SHS to get Mechanicsburg, Greenview or West Jeff on their OOC and I dont know why they look to Stebbins, Maderia, Eaton, Valley View, etc.. The top tier OHC has the competitiveness the Braves should be looking for plus the shorter drives. But, I get it...in a way.

I think the last time SHS and WJ played, the Riders handed them their arse in the playoffs. That was some team WJ had.
i would love to see some Shawnee-OHC crossover games more often. even more so, i would love to see Shawnee in the OHC, but that’s just a pipe dream at this point (or is it?)

i had the privilege to attend that Shawnee-WJ game in London in ‘19. man oh man, talk about getting dominated in the trenches..

i hope Greenon and Shawnee can renew there rivalry in the coming years. word on the street is that Greenon has some talented youngsters coming up through the program within the next 2 years. the coaching staff and some former Greenon alum seem to have worked wonders with the youth program and building those numbers, and developing some good athletes. i hope i am fortunate enough to live to see the Knights make a playoff run again someday.

Funny that there was talks that Alder should replace Franklin Heights in the OCC after the creation of that new Mid State League. But it looks like Alder is moving down in enrollment. Interesting ...

CBC Enrollments FY’23
Source: ODE

Senior classes, as might be expected, are the smallest classes in many districts. I have included kindergarten and an enrollment range for each district with the exception of KR.

Kenton Trail

Bellefontaine
Kindergarten:173
Range: 153-206

London
K:164
Range: 145-192

Urbana
K:162
Range:108-190
*190 is 10th grade class

Tecumseh
K:229
Range:140-234

Jonathan Alder
K:150
Range: 150-199
*Only four classes (K, 2, 4 and 11) do not exceed 160 students.

Mad River

Benjamin Logan
K: 130
Range: 103-151

Indian Lake
K: 88
Range: 85-153

North Union
K: 98
Range: 79-131

Graham
K: 103
Range: 93-136

Northwestern
K:110
Range: 83-139

Shawnee
K: 147
Range: 61-151

So....is this 7 on 7/contact starting May 15th considered "Spring Football" for Ohio now? Does this date continue to move closer and closer to May 1st or maybe into April at some point? I noticed a couple of CBC schools are playing in 7 on 7s before the school year is even over!

So....is this 7 on 7/contact starting May 15th considered "Spring Football" for Ohio now? Does this date continue to move closer and closer to May 1st or maybe into April at some point? I noticed a couple of CBC schools are playing in 7 on 7s before the school year is even over!
who?

I saw that Wapak is hosting a 7 on 7 May 31st. Bellefontaine, Findlay and Shelby will be there. Coach Moyer has it right on his twitter account. I thought that I heard Alder is participating in a showcase or 7 on 7 (could be wrong there). I know Massilon is hosting Pick North, Glenville, and Findlay on the 19th. Just crazy how early football is starting these days.

I saw that Wapak is hosting a 7 on 7 May 31st. Bellefontaine, Findlay and Shelby will be there. Coach Moyer has it right on his twitter account. I thought that I heard Alder is participating in a showcase or 7 on 7 (could be wrong there). I know Massilon is hosting Pick North, Glenville, and Findlay on the 19th. Just crazy how early football is starting these days.
i couldn’t agree more. back when i played, we showed up on August 1st for the season. summers were spent on the farm, not playing sports. i understand that times change, maybe even for the better.

I thought I saw the same thing for Bellefontaine, haven't seen any other CBC schools though. I think the idea of Spring ball is coming and it is not good for schools like those in the CBC. I would bet that the good players also play a winter and spring sport. They wouldn't be available in the Spring, or even worse, they will quit playing Spring sports. Not the look I would think the OHSAA wants.

LOL,,, you seem to be a newcomer to this whole thing. Dude, I have watched these cats since 1990, O'Roark through Meeks, and probably the best HS team I have seen in the CBC at DIII (they were DII at one time) was 92-93 (memory fades me a bit). That team was amazing and lost to Clyde on a goal line stand in the state quarters, with a BS play call. What other CBC teams, outside of Urbana, has played in a state semi or final? I would think if you queried any CBC coach today, and asked them about what team they dread, prepare for more or fear the most, it would Shawnee. Dont sell the Braves short, records are what they are , but what the Braves bring to the table is beyond wins and losses. Their offense is beyond normal, lower level, high school approaches (evident to those knowledgeable in that facet of the game)..if you know ANYTHING about offense. Ask any and I mean any D coordinator in the CBC (I have). Their defense is strategically sound but lacking players, again, ask any CBC O coordinator (I have). You put the SHS staff at Springfield HS with the talent there, they beat St. Eds...everyday of the week.

So what if SHS asked to be moved to the little school. Does that impede their competitiveness against the "big" CBC schools that have represented squat on the state level? Trust me, Shawnee is relevant no matter what division in the CBC they play in football.

This forum is about football or we can talk about Graham needing to be DI in wrestling....
I doubt that

Anyone know what Bellefontaine's schedule is? With all the hype around this kid, was curious if Bellefontaine put some big time teams on their schedule

i’m probably wrong, but i think it is Sidney, Coldwater, and maybe Licking Heights?
You are correct this time. LOL! Just messin' with you ghsknightfan. And the kid is legit. He has that demeanor (Gets is done with his arm or legs) about him and is very polite and humble. With those qualities, the sky is the limit for him. Wish him all the best.
Bellefontaine
08/18 H Sidney
08/25 A Coldwater
09/01 A Pataskala Licking Heights
09/08 A Bellefontaine Benjamin Logan
09/15 H Lewistown Indian Lake
09/22 H London
09/29 A New Carlisle Tecumseh
10/06 H Urbana
10/13 A Plain City Jonathan Alder
10/20 H Springfield Kenton Ridge

You are correct this time. LOL! Just messin' with you ghsknightfan. And the kid is legit. He has that demeanor (Gets is done with his arm or legs) about him and is very polite and humble. With those qualities, the sky is the limit for him. Wish him all the best.
Bellefontaine
08/18 H Sidney
08/25 A Coldwater
09/01 A Pataskala Licking Heights
09/08 A Bellefontaine Benjamin Logan
09/15 H Lewistown Indian Lake
09/22 H London
09/29 A New Carlisle Tecumseh
10/06 H Urbana
10/13 A Plain City Jonathan Alder
10/20 H Springfield Kenton Ridge
This may be the year for Belle to make that much anticipated deep run. IMO, I see payback to Coldwater and they run the table in their division, 10-0 going into week 11, though London will could be a struggle. Really looking forward to see what St. Clair can do this year and praying the kid can push the noise down to excel.

This may be the year for Belle to make that much anticipated deep run. IMO, I see payback to Coldwater and they run the table in their division, 10-0 going into week 11, though London will could be a struggle. Really looking forward to see what St. Clair can do this year and praying the kid can push the noise down to excel.

Coldwater will be a struggle, never underestimate the Cavs. London & JA will be very tough League games as well, 8-2 or 9-1 seem more realistic. Once the playoffs begin, the first game would be an easy w but from about week 12 on, they will begin facing teams that are capable of winning. Getting out of the Region and beating the best Div III team from Central Ohio will be challenging.

The Chiefs have a few other young men capable of playing at the next level, any of them getting any attention from the college visitors?
Fogan, Manns?

Coldwater will be a struggle, never underestimate the Cavs. London & JA will be very tough League games as well, 8-2 or 9-1 seem more realistic. Once the playoffs begin, the first game would be an easy w but from about week 12 on, they will begin facing teams that are capable of winning. Getting out of the Region and beating the best Div III team from Central Ohio will be challenging.
I've heard Coldwater has some rebuilding to do and may be down (for what that means) for the next couple of years. Yes, never underestimate the Cavs but I would think the Chiefs have that game clearly marked on the schedule for a bit of redemption. IMO, it was not a good showing for them last year and a solid win against them this year may be the spark they need to push on for a stellar year.

JA - oh my, where do I start? Jewel is the diamond of that offense but he cant do it by himself. The time I saw them play, the fans were a bit frustrated with the O production and inability pass the ball or generally move the ball without Jewell carrying it. The QB had less than 800 yards passing with 4 TDs and 9 INTS. Additionally, they lose all or most of the skill kids but seem to have 2-3 lineman returning. Those Pioneer fans loved the D but after the beat down Belle put on them, I dont see a different result this year. JA may be slugging it out just to finish 3rd in the division.

London - well, that game will be for the divisional title (unfortunately it will be the first divisional game...wish it could be changes to week 10). The Raiders have a lot coming back and Sollars should be the man with the lion's share of yardage. London always has found a way to fill in those graduating Sr. holes and I suspect this year will be no different. Last years game was a defensive struggle, so to speak, and Fogan was a non factor with only 2 carriers. IMO, this will be the ultimate test for the Chiefs in the regular season.

The Chiefs need to get it done this year because 2024 will see an over the top QB with little support to exceed a 6-4, 7-3 record at best. Finally, I am not saying the Chiefs are state champ quality this year but they have a potential to be a final 4....

Good luck to your Riders and I'll be following along with your posts on the OHC thread.

The Chiefs have a few other young men capable of playing at the next level, any of them getting any attention from the college visitors?
Fogan, Manns?
For Fogan, the schools that are hot on him are Youngstown State and Robert Morris, both FCS level programs. And others that have shown some interest are Ball state, Central Michigan and Dayton. He took visits to Dayton, Pitt & Youngstown this spring.
For Manns, he has a FCS offer at Duquesne and that is all.