Biggest Upsets Tonight?

No, a blowout loss won't ruin anyone's life, but my experience as a member of a bad team was that the vast majority of us would not have preferred to play another game, particularly against a state or regional powerhouse. We much preferred to move on to wrestling or basketball or taking the winter off and just being kids. One can love a sport and still be ready to put it away for the year.
True, but I listened to players this week who were exited about their opportunity to play a #1 seed state power house last night.

Some guys I know officiated a game where the #15 seed beat a state ranked team, convincingly. I'll bet those kids are really disappointed to be playing another football game instead of taking the winter off.

Running clock blowouts are not really unusual in the state finals.

So yeah, people should get over it.
"Seed 1 went 28-0 - Seed 16 went 0-28

Seed 2 went 25-3 - Seed 15 went 3-25

Seed 3 went 25-3 - Seed 14 went 3-25

Seed 4 went 25-3 - Seed 13 went 3-25

Seed 5 went 22-6 - Seed 12 went 6-22

Seed 6 went 24-4 - Seed 11 went 4-24

Seed 7 went 20-8 - Seed 10 went 8-20

Seed 8 went 10-18 - Seed 9 went 18-10" Cmon eh

There were 224 games last night. How many were "upsets?" The arguments I've read are more about playing 16 game seasons for championships, adding weeks to many other teams, and the diminishing importance/weaker scheduling of the regular season.
I thought the expansion from 4-8 was a mistake, but was proven wrong very quickly.

I think the 16 week season is too long. I would rather see more divisions with a 4, or 5, week tournament.

A lot of people prefer an expansion to 12 teams instead of 16. I would rather see 112 more teams have the opportunity to play than 112 teams get a bye

JMOBIPNW.

Some guys I know officiated a game where the #15 seed beat a state ranked team, convincingly. I'll bet those kids are really disappointed to be playing another football game instead of taking the winter off.
But the majority of kids in that situation that took loss number eight or more would come down on my side.

"Seed 1 went 28-0 - Seed 16 went 0-28

Seed 2 went 25-3 - Seed 15 went 3-25

Seed 3 went 25-3 - Seed 14 went 3-25

Seed 4 went 25-3 - Seed 13 went 3-25

Seed 5 went 22-6 - Seed 12 went 6-22

Seed 6 went 24-4 - Seed 11 went 4-24

Seed 7 went 20-8 - Seed 10 went 8-20

Seed 8 went 10-18 - Seed 9 went 18-10" Cmon eh
according to this date you’d think 12 teams would be the perfect number.

Unless you’re one of the unfortunate top 4 seeds who become big mad after getting beat at home by a team who sHouLdN’t EveN Be iN tHe PLayOfFs.

Unless you’re one of the unfortunate top 4 seeds who become big mad after getting beat at home by a team who sHouLdN’t EveN Be iN tHe PLayOfFs.
No team under 500 should be in the Playoffs. Heck my former HS beat a 9-1 team at 3-7 last night and i still believe they had no business there in the first place. 8 teams per region and I'd even say at max 12 is more than enough. 16 is ridiculous as no 16 seed team won.

No team under 500 should be in the Playoffs. Heck my former HS beat a 9-1 team at 3-7 last night and i still believe they had no business there in the first place. 8 teams per region and I'd even say at max 12 is more than enough. 16 is ridiculous as no 16 seed team won.
A 3-7 beat a 4 seed QB’d by an Ohio State commit, last night, so it’s a good thing they didn’t ask you.

True, but I listened to players this week who were exited about their opportunity to play a #1 seed state power house last night.

I would ask you what team these players play for but that would be none of my business. You just be on staff at BGHS.

Agree with this but it is not going to change. No doubt some teams play soft schedules and have good records as a result but that does not mean 3 - 7 teams who play harder schedules should be in the playoffs. Again, to make it to state takes 16 games and not only the games themselves but practices also, lot of wear and tear on a HS body but again this (the playoffs) is about one thing and one thing only OHSAA greed.

Correct, it's an absolute travesty that we are subjected to the 50 year old stupidity of the Harbin computer year after year. And the problem was 10X worse when it also determined who even gets a chance to play, at least most of that injustice is gone.
Do you believe that prior to 16-team playoff regions, the state champion was not proven to be the best team in the state?

A 3-7 beat a 4 seed QB’d by an Ohio State commit, last night, so it’s a good thing they didn’t ask you.

Still doesnt change the fact that 0 teams from the 16th seed won
Ooooohhh, Aaaaahhhhh. Gee, you're right. They should have made the cut-off 13th seed. Dude, if you're going to make a troll account, at least be able to troll. More douche, less stank. smh

Stop being obtuse (or just stupid, whichever it is). The number regardless what it is, is arbitrary as to who is "best." ARBITRARY. They could make it 2 per region just to cause whine to pour out of headuptheazz types.

Athletics are organized around school function because their function is to school. To provide carrots for academic participation, for citizenship, for social skills. Any team feeling so overwhelmed by a possible opponent can opt out. The coaches will take care of "safety." If there was time, all-in would be just as fine an option. The ARBITRARY number of participants isn't chosen to make sure the "best" team gets in. It's simply a compromise to all-in, to avoid losing regular league or OOC games. And yes, more games means more revenue to run less attended programs in the schools. If the negatives out-weigh the positives, if teams are running open round games at a loss, the ones that matter, the participating schools will over-turn it.

For those whose singular goal is that the "best" get opportunity to play as many games as possible before the BEST wins it all? The number of lower seeds winning justifies the 16 to most people understanding chance vs. deterministic.

Last edited:
A mapping of upsets by region would probably confirm what most know. The larger geographically the region, the more upsets as there are fewer in-season games between those teams to allow Harbins to settle. As much as some do not want to buy into transitive logic, it is sound. If A beats B beats C it is more likely that A beats C. But if B never plays C as occurs in the larger geographical regions, the Harbins lose predictive value when A meets C in the first round of play-offs. Anecdotally: most in the NWO threads knew immediately that Findlay was in trouble, not based on Harbins but based on transitive thinking. Looking at what few games did occur between NWO and Central Ohio in-season and over the years, even if not one-step removed linking Findlay and Central Ohio, we knew. Findlay losing would not be an upset. It would be an "upset."

Unless OHSAA wants to considering districting, the high rate of upsets more than justifies 16 teams/region. There is more than one poster here would bet half a year's salary with 1:5 odds to predict upset.

round one upsets.png

If "fewest Harbins upsets" is the goal, would districting reduce upsets and allow the number of participants to reduce to 8/region?

Tracking upsets by geographical region and public vs. private would be instructive. There is meaning hidden there.
Noted most of the upsets were 9 going to meet 1.
NWO, the region with lowest population density in the higher divisions had the highest proportion of upsets by far: 9/24.
In the lower divisions, again NWO 8/32 and I think that's SEO 7/32.

Last edited: