Battle of Pickerington - OCC

Wondering how R3 posters see a possible matchup with R1 St Edward in Week #15? That is if the brackets put R1 v R3 in the semi-final. Or a matchup with Moeller out of R4 if they come out on top? I'm assuming Eds gets through R1, but there's no guarantee. Same with Moeller in R4. It seems from this thread it will be Hilliard Bradley, Pickerington North Gahanna or Upper Arlington representing R3. Regrettably we haven't seen these teams up north. Just wondering how R3 people see the landscape.
Pick North has scrimmaged St. Eds for the past few years.

Pick North has scrimmaged St. Eds for the past few years.
Yes, and they're very good. Great athletes and good coaches. We just don't (generally) hear about R3 teams up in Cleveland. I'm sure it's good football. The teams are just not known up here as I'm sure R1 teams are not known by you. This is one of the few forums where info can be exchanged. So if people don't post and exchange info, the teams remain largely unknown. To that end, here's a link for info on St Ed. If you go to the "game notes" link or section you'll see a lot of current statistics and historical data on matchups.

Yes, and they're very good. Great athletes and good coaches. We just don't (generally) hear about R3 teams up in Cleveland. I'm sure it's good football. The teams are just not known up here as I'm sure R1 teams are not known by you. This is one of the few forums where info can be exchanged. So if people don't post and exchange info, the teams remain largely unknown. To that end, here's a link for info on St Ed. If you go to the "game notes" link or section you'll see a lot of current statistics and historical data on matchups.

St. Eds has been on TV down here in Columbus at least 4 or so times this year so I'm sure many have gotten to see them. Do they play there games on Saturdays?

St. Eds has been on TV down here in Columbus at least 4 or so times this year so I'm sure many have gotten to see them. Do they play there games on Saturdays?
Yes, we (generally) play on Saturday. It's hard to schedule local games here. We don't have our own stadium, so we play at First Federal Stadium in Lakewood where Lakewood High plays their games on Fridays. We only played one local opponent in 2023. (St Ignatius.) We played 6 games (of 10) against out of state teams (one Canadian). We did lose to Massillon. They're really good. Our QB was hurt that game and DNP, but that's not an excuse. They were better than us. No question. We lost 15-13. They're not in our Division, so playing them is really good for us to get the team ready for this stretch. We respect Massillon.

Our starting QB is hurt again, so it remains to be seen what happens in the playoffs, but here's some other info.

If Columbus area folks are Ohio State fans, they'll be pleased to know the Armstrong twins from St Edward are committed to Ohio State.
Devontae Armstrong is 6'5" 305 lbs. and his twin brother is Deontae Armstrong at 6' 7" 295 lbs. Great kids and great players. The bad news is the right tackle, 6'8" 320 lb. Ben Roebuck, is going to Michigan. For some reason Ohio State didn't pursue him, but Harbaugh did. Also Ohio fans should be interested in #9 Logan Thomas who is a Notre Dame recruit. Here's an early season interview with #71 and #79 the Armstrong twins, #76 Roebuck and #9 Thomas.

Below is our current schedule and results, and a clip of the post game vs. Akron Hoban.

1698013824187.png

1698013313333.png

Last edited:
I don't want to spend the whole night writing a novel. But here are a few. The Gahanna fans would have been howling for HC job if they lost. He had the ball inside the 5 yard line with very little time left in the 4 qtr and instead of taking a timeout and kicking what would be a extra point distance FG to win the game he runs the ball they fumble and Pick North recovers and has new life in OT. And Gahanna has a Good kicker! Every youth football coach that quit playing football in the 8 th grade knew to kick the FG and win the game! Not to mention in the first half the Gahanna QB was not told or should have known to get out of bounds or throw the ball away with I believe the ball around the 10 yard line and no time outs and only seconds left in the half to be able to kick the short FG (Gave away 3pts) and he lives with the HC! North doesn't run any miss direction plays, attack the middle of the field with the pass. Gahanna was shutting down the run and double teaming Big Play WR Bowman . They should have been feeding the ball to the TE ( D1 commit) . I think the time they did get it to him he took it to the house. He may have been targeted only 2-3 times. Gahanna was stuffing the run game and no adjustment made by North. I don't think the North OC understands the other team is going to game plan to take away what you do best so you need to have a plan B . What did you think they did good?
You know what this was actually a good assessment haha I get your point now

I think Central is a bigger favorite vs NA than North is vs WC and Darby, but UA will knock out the Tigers.
I think North would of had issues against UA if they were to rematch. Buttermore is a great coach and could of made the adjustments from their regular season loss to PN. North couldn’t execute in the red zone multiple times vs WC if so the score would of been much different.

A Pickerington region final would be awesome, but if only Central would be able to knock out Gahanna, I do expect hopefully a better game if those two teams rematch. Man I wish North ended up as seed one or two, would have rather see them get the easy win against Newark or the Burg versus replaying Westerville Central.

Interesting region 3 thing, this has to be Newarks first trip into the playoffs in like 20+ years. Don't think I've ever seen them have even a winning record, they always been the team to beat up.

I’m very interested to know the answer to this as well.
Wish I knew also. For example if a parent gets a new job in another district why should the kid be punished for having to transfer? Also I remember when you would have to sit 4-5 games but the whole season now ?

View attachment 48588
Any chance we get a Pick Central vs Pick North rematch for the regional title?
I'd say there's very little chance of that happening. PC better come prepared vs. New Albany. Tigers' front seven are pretty small and get moved around when teams (good ones...) run right at them. New Albany would have easily won the Buckeye Division. I look for a relatively low scoring match-up. Tigers never really figured out how to capitalize on their only offensive weapon - the QB. Still, I've got PC sweating out a 20-16 win.

I'd say there's very little chance of that happening. PC better come prepared vs. New Albany. Tigers' front seven are pretty small and get moved around when teams (good ones...) run right at them. New Albany would have easily won the Buckeye Division. I look for a relatively low scoring match-up. Tigers never really figured out how to capitalize on their only offensive weapon - the QB. Still, I've got PC sweating out a 20-16 win.
fwiw, NA lost to Lancaster 20-0.

fwiw, NA lost to Lancaster 20-0.
If you were at the PC - Lancaster game, you know the Gales were the more impressive team. Tigers grabbed an interception late in the 4th to hold on 21-14. PC should win, but I won't be shocked if they don't.

If you were at the PC - Lancaster game, you know the Gales were the more impressive team. Tigers grabbed an interception late in the 4th to hold on 21-14. PC should win, but I won't be shocked if they don't.
PC still is much more equipped to go up physically against NA and stop there misdirection offense. Do not get me wrong, PC is still a long way from matching the physicality it had in the past years. PC will win 27-10. NA will not be able physically to stop the PC running game. And once PC makes adjustments NA will not have the dogs or the quick strike ability to come back and match PC's athletes. Lancaster was a very good game. Senior night there, road rivalry, physical football game. But, remember, PC won and NA was shut out..............digest that!

NA was also two broken Diore Hubbard plays away from being right there with Gahanna 20-7, and 21-17 with PN. I know the tigers won’t take them lightly. NA knows what they are and if you let them hang around- it will get real interesting

NA was also two broken Diore Hubbard plays away from being right there with Gahanna 20-7, and 21-17 with PN. I know the tigers won’t take them lightly. NA knows what they are and if you let them hang around- it will get real interesting
Hubbard must absolutely LOVE to play against the Pickeringtons... Neither can tackle him...Can only hope he fumbles 2-3 times per game. I think you could take the best 11 PC and PN defensive players, put them on one team and Hubbard would still put up 240 yards rushing!! As a Pickerington fan, I cannot wait for that guy to graduate (ha!). Hard to believe PN's transfer RB will be a Buckeye, but Hubbard goes to WVU... I'm not a talent scout, but my eyes have me questioning why...

Hubbard must absolutely LOVE to play against the Pickeringtons... Neither can tackle him...Can only hope he fumbles 2-3 times per game. I think you could take the best 11 PC and PN defensive players, put them on one team and Hubbard would still put up 240 yards rushing!! As a Pickerington fan, I cannot wait for that guy to graduate (ha!). Hard to believe PN's transfer RB will be a Buckeye, but Hubbard goes to WVU... I'm not a talent scout, but my eyes have me questioning why...
The transfer rule ruined that matchup between Williams Dixon and Hubbard. I’m sure many college staffs were looking to see that battle.

28-0 Final PN over Westerville Central. Defense looked great tonight. Will host Hilliard Darby in the 2nd round.
I went to the Pick Central vs New Albany game. Expected a dogfight... Instead, PC played their best game of the season and rolled 42-16! PC finally diversified the offense. QB actually passed the ball on TWO consecutive plays. Wow!! Maybe, just maybe, they're realizing they've got a potentially great QB, very athletic receivers, slightly above average RBs and a decent OL. They cannot simply line up and run straight at defenses - which is what they really want to do... Tonight, the passing game opened up the running game. Offensive coordinator gets an "A" on tonight's game plan.

I went to the Pick Central vs New Albany game. Expected a dogfight... Instead, PC played their best game of the season and rolled 42-16! PC finally diversified the offense. QB actually passed the ball on TWO consecutive plays. Wow!! Maybe, just maybe, they're realizing they've got a potentially great QB, very athletic receivers, slightly above average RBs and a decent OL. They cannot simply line up and run straight at defenses - which is what they really want to do... Tonight, the passing game opened up the running game. Offensive coordinator gets an "A" on tonight's game plan.
I was shocked when I saw the score. I was worried that Central would have trouble w/New Albany, but sounds like they played really well. They'll need to continue that next week on the road at UA. North won handily as they totally shut West Central down. I was suprised in that as well as they beat North last year and played them really tough earlier this year, but seemed like they just went through the motions tonight because they were NOT good offensively at all. Pretty sure Panthers held them under 100 yards total offense for the game.

I’m telling you I don’t think it’s crazy of a potential Pick Town rematch for the regional title.

I was shocked after the first play of the game was a pass. PC had a little bounce in their step all night. Several receivers made plays, several backs ran the ball. The QB was accurate and matures more every game. Playing at UA will be no easy task. Tigers have to limit penalties and turnovers, keep their cool and make plays.

Agree! The Tigers still love that 1980s power-I tailback up the middle on 1st down. Usually good for a 2 yd loss (haha!). Can they play any better? Smarter? I'm not sure. Other than Rocco's personal found, one false start, and the refs having to lecture Terry (after an x-pt) about driving a defender into the ground, the Tigers had a clean sheet! Rinse and repeat at UA and they'll win.

For those of you that have had the honor of playing in " The Ditch," here is a little history and fact that will open your eyes. People do not know how hard it was playing PC in " The Ditch!" Enjoy the read.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 2.16.15 PM.jpeg

I voted no on those school levies they kept pushing, building new schools was fine but a million plus for building a new stadium and turf fields for both schools, was a waste of money for me, that was better served going to the students and teachers. The Picktown schools in recent years have had excellent grass fields too, and turf only leads to more injuries. I liked being one of the last central Ohio D1 schools with grass.

That new central stadium will never have the atmosphere the old one had. You cant beat the vibe of the stadium nested in the hill in downtown of the old village, versus the new one is just by a field field. They should consider naming the stadium or field after coach Jay Sharret.

I do wish both Pickerington schools had bigger stadiums though, so the big games don't sell out in 30 minutes. Albeit I think they used to let more people in with standing room only and they even would bring in temporary seating for like the Pick North and Central Game, the first years after they stop playing at the crew stadium.

The new stadium is so NOT special... definitely no real increase in seating capacity. Totally generic... just a little D-3 caliber set-up literally in the middle of an empty corn field. The designers must not have consulted any "real" PC folks. How else do we end up with 'lavender' seating, not purple?!! Also, what is up w/ the dinky scoreboard? I hope the huge empty space will be filled in w/ something.

"Sharrett Field" at Tiger Stadium would be most appropriate - even though Jay's legacy far exceeds the new stadium. So disappointing to have waited so long... and end up with this product. How do places like Logan HS and Gahanna end up w/ stadiums far superior to PC's (or North's for that matter)?

I voted no on those school levies they kept pushing, building new schools was fine but a million plus for building a new stadium and turf fields for both schools, was a waste of money for me, that was better served going to the students and teachers. The Picktown schools in recent years have had excellent grass fields too, and turf only leads to more injuries. I liked being one of the last central Ohio D1 schools with grass.

That new central stadium will never have the atmosphere the old one had. You cant beat the vibe of the stadium nested in the hill in downtown of the old village, versus the new one is just by a field field. They should consider naming the stadium or field after coach Jay Sharret.

I do wish both Pickerington schools had bigger stadiums though, so the big games don't sell out in 30 minutes. Albeit I think they used to let more people in with standing room only and they even would bring in temporary seating for like the Pick North and Central Game, the first years after they stop playing at the crew stadium.
It’s my understanding that the most recent bond didn’t incorporate funds to athletic facilities. The actual funds, which were matched by the state if certain building parameters are met, are dedicated for only buildings. It is because of this bond that other money the district had could be “freed up” and allocated to athletics. Could be wrong, but that’s what I’ve been told. Personally, I’m not a fan of the new stadium for a bunch of different reasons. I don’t mind the turf over the grass. I understand why people might be upset about the financial aspect, but I feel like the cost is less in the long run after the higher initial investment.

If you want money to go to students/teachers, ask the school board and superintendent why they haven’t put an operating levy up for a vote in over ten years. Maybe investigate why administrators and teachers are leaving the district at a faster rate than similar districts nearby? That’s a discussion for other forums though.

As for the games, I pull for both teams unless they play each other. Should be another entertaining Friday.