Ask the Ref?

What's the call, this happen last week.
Team A is up 4 points with 6.5 seconds
Team B has no timeouts left goes the length of the court hits a 3. Clock under 5 seconds
Team A doesn't take the ball out
Team B - player grabs the ball from baseline and throws it out of gym and clock stops at 2.0 seconds.

What should ref's do?

Why did the clock stop?
No Clue, player tossed the ball out of the gym.
Refs stop the game. Give Team B Tech Foul, Team A missed both Free Throws, Team A inbound ball on side.
Team B was rewarded for tossing the ball out, could got a steal and chance to win game

I couldn't find anything in rule book.

Resume game at point of interruption and clock runs out?

No Clue, player tossed the ball out of the gym.
Refs stop the game. Give Team B Tech Foul, Team A missed both Free Throws, Team A inbound ball on side.
Team B was rewarded for tossing the ball out, could got a steal and chance to win game

I couldn't find anything in rule book.

Resume game at point of interruption and clock runs out?
You'll find this exact play in the "comment" section of Case Book 9.2.10 Situation A

The officials should have ignored the action by B and let the clock run out. By stopping the clock, it allows B to benefit from the action.

Once they stop the clock, they must assess a Technical Foul and resume the game as you would after any Technical Foul.

You'll find this exact play in the "comment" section of Case Book 9.2.10 Situation A

The officials should have ignored the action by B and let the clock run out. By stopping the clock, it allows B to benefit from the action.

Once they stop the clock, they must assess a Technical Foul and resume the game as you would after any Technical Foul.
This should have been insignificant because it was inside of 5 seconds on the clock. Agree, officials should have done nothing and let time expire. However, would you say this needs to be officiated differently (how they did it with the technical foul) if there were more than 5 seconds on the clock? Lets say there are 30 seconds on the clock and the defense throws the ball away to delay the game....or just picks the ball up and holds it....what should be done now?

This should have been insignificant because it was inside of 5 seconds on the clock. Agree, officials should have done nothing and let time expire. However, would you say this needs to be officiated differently (how they did it with the technical foul) if there were more than 5 seconds on the clock? Lets say there are 30 seconds on the clock and the defense throws the ball away to delay the game....or just picks the ball up and holds it....what should be done now?
When this happens late in a game, the reason becomes obvious.....

Assess a Technical Foul to the guilty party. Even if there has bee no prior Delay of Game warning issued to that player's team.

- Technical Foul against the guilty player
- Delay of Game warning (if not issued prior)
- Award the opponent 2 FTs
- Opponent awarded a throw-in at the division line opposite the scorer's table.

I realize you cannot shoot it over the backboard from behind, but can you throw it over the backboard from behind?

Swore I saw it recently and it wasnt whistled dead.

Shot from behind the 3 point line. Defender tips it, inside the arc, and it goes it. Still a 3?
A pass from outside the arc, gets tipped by a defender inside the arc, goes in. A 2 or a 3?

Shot from behind the 3 point line. Defender tips it, inside the arc, and it goes it. Still a 3?
A pass from outside the arc, gets tipped by a defender inside the arc, goes in. A 2 or a 3?
Score three points for both.

If the ball touches the floor, a teammate, or an official...... then two points is scored.

A question involving three man mechanics. Final seconds of the game, team A is down three with no timeouts remaining. A1 shoots from the corner in the trail official's primary coverage area. The shot is good and the trail signals a made three point shot. However, the lead has definitive knowledge that A1's toe was on the line and that the shot should be a two. Since whether the shot is a two or three impacts how A now plays defense, does the lead have the authority to stop the clock and make sure the shot is scored correctly?

Score three points for both.

If the ball touches the floor, a teammate, or an official...... then two points is scored.
Thank you.
For like 34 years we thought the official got it wrong in an 8th grade game but a good point was brought up yesterday! It was the first year of the 3 point line in JH/HS and there was a pass from the top of the key. Defender at the foul line tipped it and it went in. We always presumed they got the call wrong. I wonder if the official knew about this (it was just a JH ref) or if he got it right by accident!

A question involving three man mechanics. Final seconds of the game, team A is down three with no timeouts remaining. A1 shoots from the corner in the trail official's primary coverage area. The shot is good and the trail signals a made three point shot. However, the lead has definitive knowledge that A1's toe was on the line and that the shot should be a two. Since whether the shot is a two or three impacts how A now plays defense, does the lead have the authority to stop the clock and make sure the shot is scored correctly?
Unless this is in transition and the Trail is still well into the backcourt, the Lead has absolutely no business looking at the shooter.

That said, for the sake of your play....... because the Lead was ball watching.... here's what's supposed to happen....

The official blows his whistle and indicates that the foot was on the line and tells the scorer/timer that two points are awarded. B is awarded a throw-in from anywhere along the end line.

I want to be a fly on the wall post-game for the discussion of why the Lead did what he/she did.

I was at a game last night where one team shot 43 free throws compared to the other team only shooting 14. Is there any review after the game by the reffing crew to discuss how / why the fouls became so one sided?

I was at a game last night where one team shot 43 free throws compared to the other team only shooting 14. Is there any review after the game by the reffing crew to discuss how / why the fouls became so one sided?
For curiosity sake, can I ask what game that was?

We talk throughout and after the game about what's happening with the fouls. The fouls became so "one sided" because one team wouldn't stop fouling.

Games like that happen.

For a REGULAR SEASON game.....Can a team dress more than 15 players and put them all in the scorebook, even though the scorebook has space for only 15 names?

Somewhat related question, also for a regular season game...Can a team put more than 15 names in the scorebook, even though they may not all actually be in uniform and go through pregame warmups? Fair to say that this would be for symbolism's sake out of respect/to honor a player who may have a season ending injury through no fault of his own.

For what it's worth....I see nothing in the NFHS rule book or OHSAA basketball regulations that says either of these things is prohibited.

Last edited:
For a REGULAR SEASON game.....Can a team dress more than 15 players and put them all in the scorebook, even though the scorebook has space for only 15 names?

Somewhat related question, also for a regular season game...Can a team put more than 15 names in the scorebook, even though they may not all actually be in uniform and go through pregame warmups? Fair to say that this would be for symbolism's sake out of respect/to honor a player who may have a season ending injury through no fault of his own.

For what it's worth....I see nothing in the NFHS rule book or OHSAA basketball regulations that says either of these things is prohibited.
Perfectly legal in the regular season

Possession arrow is directed to A.
A held ball is called.
Before anything else occurs, a technical foul is called on A1 who was on the floor when the held ball was called.
Does B get a throw-in after its free throws and possession arrow remains directed to A?

A held ball is called.
Before anything else occurs, a technical foul is called on A1 who was on the floor when the held ball was called.
Does B get a throw-in after its free throws and possession arrow remains directed to A?
Yes and yes.

The team offended by a single technical foul always gets two shots and the ball at the division line. The point of interruption doesn’t matter.

A held ball is called.
As zebra noted, the point of interruption doesn't matter. The throw in is part of the penalty.

Now here's where people get confused........ similar situation

Held ball. B has the arrow. Prior to the end of the alternating possession throw-in, A1 is assessed a technical foul. B attempts the 2FT's and is awarded a throw-in at the division line opposite the scorer's table........

In this situation, the arrow remains with B after the throw in.

I'll get this started. Player A shoots the ball from the top of the key towards his goal. Ball hits the rim and goes almost straight up and over the backboard. It does not touch anything on it's way up or down and lands in-bounds behind the backboard.

Is this a violation or play-on?
This is a violation. Team B takes the ball out of bounds under the basket.

Sorry, I'm new to this. Apologies.
Just a few simple rules on the Ask The Ref threads (BBK, GBK, FB, BB)....

- Questions are about rules and mechanics.
- Answers from officials must be accurate.
- Once a question is answered, it's time to move onto the next inquiry. There's no sense repeating a correct answer.
- No bashing/arguing with fans/officials on here. If that's the motive, you are encouraged to open a thread in the specific sport forum that your beef falls under.

Thanks.......

Perfectly legal in the regular season
Follow up question...

I am aware that you can dress only 15 for a tournament game. Can you switch out those 15 players from one tournament game to the next as long as all potential players are on the eligibility list that is submitted prior to the start of the tournament?