Ask The Ref?

All it has to do is cross the plane of the goal line.

First NFHS Rule Book published was 1932. There are many, many rules that were written in the early days that remain n force today.
It’s a good point. The formations have changed drastically, but it’s very much the same game

This isn't a high school question but does anyone know if NFL playoff games (and the Super Bowl) have curfews at which point the game would be suspended and resumed at a later date? For instance what if the Super Bowl had gone 4 overtime quarters scoreless that would have made the game's conclusion over an hour and a half later than than the actual conclusion at 11 PM, meaning depending on clock stoppages and media/tv/radio allowances the game may not end until 1 AM. At what hour if any would the game be suspended? Presumably there would be ordinances that would cover this like is the case for baseball when they used to occasionally have long extra inning games.

Is a "forward lateral" a pass?

Or, is any forward release of the football by an offensive player that is past the LOS, considered a pass?

A pass is throwing the ball while in player possession. The position of the passer or receiver in relation to the LOS or each other doesn't change this.

A forward pass is a pass where the initial direction is toward the opponent's end line.
A backward pass is a pass where the initial direction is parallel (lateral) to or away from the opponent's end line.

Legal forward passes have additional restrictions (such as being made from behind the LOS).

"forward lateral" is not thing. What most talking heads call a "lateral" is a backward pass.

A pass is throwing the ball while in player possession. The position of the passer or receiver in relation to the LOS or each other doesn't change this.

A forward pass is a pass where the initial direction is toward the opponent's end line.
A backward pass is a pass where the initial direction is parallel (lateral) to or away from the opponent's end line.

Legal forward passes have additional restrictions (such as being made from behind the LOS).

"forward lateral" is not thing. What most talking heads call a "lateral" is a backward pass.
That's what l was wondering.
People say "backwards pass" but in reality, it's a lateral, correct?

Also, if l underhand toss the ball forward to a teammate, is that a lateral or a pass?
Is it how the ball is released when considering it a pass or lateral?
Or any release forward considered a pass?
Is this a "verbage" thing?

Also, if l underhand toss the ball forward to a teammate, is that a lateral or a pass?
Is this a "verbage" thing?
I don't think the word lateral appears in any rule book. If it's not a backward pass it is a forward pass.

Overhand or underhand, one hand or two, doesn't matter.

As Altor correctly noted above, passes by rule book definition are either forward or backward. The word "lateral" when describing a pass is announcer speak.
By definition, it is a forward pass.
No
Yes

This isn't a high school question but does anyone know if NFL playoff games (and the Super Bowl) have curfews at which point the game would be suspended and resumed at a later date? For instance what if the Super Bowl had gone 4 overtime quarters scoreless that would have made the game's conclusion over an hour and a half later than than the actual conclusion at 11 PM, meaning depending on clock stoppages and media/tv/radio allowances the game may not end until 1 AM. At what hour if any would the game be suspended? Presumably there would be ordinances that would cover this like is the case for baseball when they used to occasionally have long extra inning games.
Below are the NFL Overtime Rules for post season games....

Please note, once the point is reached where the safety of the players is in question, the NFL (commissioner) reserves the right to step in and make any decision he deems necessary to equitably resolve the matter. (see Bud Selig - All Star Game)

OVERTIME RULES FOR NFL POSTSEASON GAMES

Unlike regular season games, postseason games cannot end in a tie, so the overtime rules change slightly for the playoffs.

• If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period — or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended — the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.
  • There will be a two-minute intermission between each overtime period. There will not be a halftime intermission after the second period.
  • The captain who lost the first overtime coin toss will either choose to possess the ball or select which goal his team will defend, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred that choice.
  • Each team will have an opportunity to possess the ball in overtime.
  • Each team gets three timeouts during a half.
  • The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth regulation periods also apply at the end of a second or fourth overtime period.
  • If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is declared.

@AllSports12 Thank you sir. At what point would you think the game would be suspended and resumed the following day? That is when would the safety and well-being of the players be a concern or do you think a curfew or ordinances would come into play before player safety?

@AllSports12 Thank you sir. At what point would you think the game would be suspended and resumed the following day? That is when would the safety and well-being of the players be a concern or do you think a curfew or ordinances would come into play before player safety?
That's way above my pay grade......

Time to get back to NFHS Rules and mechanics questions.

I am so honored by your answers!
Anyway, let’s get started.
  1. Obviously the fumble has to happen before the tackled player finishes at least with a knee on the ground, right? Correct
  2. Offensive player passes the ball to another, defender tries to intercept but the ball bounces off him and ends up out of bounds beyond the end zone. Is this still a touchback? No. As described this is an incomplete pass.
  3. Safety but the fumble has to happen before the knee on the ground, right? Correct
Kicks in endzone
  1. But is it a dead ball only if it touches the ground but can KT catch her on the endzone for a touchdown? Kickoff. Once an untouchted kick touches the ground the the end zone the ball is dead and it is a touchback.
  2. Instead a muffed kickoff by RT can KT score a touchdown either by catching it on the fly or by taking it off the ground? The ball is in air on the end zone or has grounded on endzone. The likelihood of the KT catching the kicked ball in the end zone before the ball hits the ground is zero (they have to run 65 yards)
  3. With a punt we have two situations, if the ball is not touched by RT, the KT can not score a touchdown neither catching it on the fly nor taking it to the ground always in endzone, right? Correct, neither can be a touchdown
  4. If a muffed punt goes in endzone, the KT can score a touchdown only if they catch it on air, or is it legal also if the muffed punt grounds in end zone? If it were to happen as described, touchdown for both. (extremely rare if caught in the air)
  5. So if the punt or kickoff are intentionally pushed with any part of the body by the KT, is it illegal? If it is batted towards the opponent's goal line.
  6. But if the punt or kickoff are near endzone, that is a muffed punt or kickoff, which has passed the 10 yards, can be recovered from the KT but not advanced. The KT can recover, but can never advance a muffed kick. But if one of the KT dives over the ball or accidentally kicks it and it ends in endzone, can the KT catch it to score a TD? Yes. Both in the air and on the ground? That is the ball would not have ended in endzone then without the impetus of the dive of KT, but the player diving would push, albeit unintentionally, the ball in endzone taking an advantage and allowing the KT to score a touchdown? Correct
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Ok, let's get started.
Offensive player passes the ball to another, defender tries to intercept but the ball bounces off him and ends up out of bounds beyond the end zone. Is this still a touchback? No. As described this is an incomplete pass.
I mean if it is a forward pass, the muffed ball by RT goes out of bounds in endzone, so this is only a incomplete pass and the down is over, right?

1. But I wanted to say another situation: I mean an attacker is going to the endzone, he avoid and overtakes a defender and then tries to pass the ball to another attacking companion (a pass backwards Rugby style) but at that moment the defender dives on the ball passed by the attacker but the defender touches the ball without being able to catch it and the ball pushed by the defender ends up in his own endzone (endzone’s defender) and from there it comes out of bounds (in endzone). In this case is it a touchback or safety? I think it’s a touchback, am I right?

The impetus of the ball is given by the pass of the attacker backwards, or sideways, but then the ball is finished outside the endzone of the defending team for the touch of the defender.

2. Another matter. A punt, only when touched by the RK, or a kickoff, muffed or after 10 yards, can be recovered by the KT but not advanced.
We have a situation where the kick, either punt or kickoff, lands near goal line, in this case the KT can only take possession of it and not advance, so they can not score touchdown. But I think there’s a little contradiction in that rule. I mean if a KT deliberately pushes the ball towards the endzone and then trying to score a touchdown is illegal (Illegal batting) but if he does it himself it is legal. But isn’t it the same thing?

Elijah Hicks SCORES A TOUCHDOWN OF A MUFFED PUNT!

In this video Hicks pushes the ball towards the endzone, but this is legal because it was unintentional, right?
I mean if the kick comes in flight the KT could juggling the ball until it arrives in endzone and doing so could he score a touchdown? But this only if this is unintentional? Or if the ball lands the KT can push it by diving over it?

Kicks out of bounds
  1. Kickoff goes directly out of bounds, penality 25y from the kick or where out of bounds or rekick -5y?
  2. Kickoff goes directy ouf bounds before 10y, what's the rule?
  3. Kickoff goes out bounds touched before 10y KT?
  4. before 10y touched by RK?
  5. before 10y touched by RK and then by KT?
  6. after 10y touched by KT only?
  7. after 10y touched by RK?
  8. after 10y touched by RK then KT?
  9. Punt goes out of bounds directly
  10. Punt goes out of bounds muffed by RT?
  11. Punt goes out of bounds muffed by RT and then by KT?
  12. Field goal out of bounds directly
  13. Field goal out of bounds muffed by RT
  14. Field goal ouf of bounds muffed by KT
  15. Field goal out of bounds muffed by RT and then by KT
I mean only touched by KT but never in possession of a player of kicking team.

Instead a muffed kickoff by RT can KT score a touchdown either by catching it on the fly or by taking it off the ground? The ball is in air on the end zone or has grounded on endzone. The likelihood of the KT catching the kicked ball in the end zone before the ball hits the ground is zero (they have to run 65 yards)
I mean from the purely theoretical point of view if a kickoff had to be taken on the fly by a KT before it landed in endzone, would it be a touchdown? But it never would be if it was a punt, right?
If a muffed punt goes in endzone, the KT can score a touchdown only if they catch it on air, or is it legal also if the muffed punt grounds in end zone? If it were to happen as described, touchdown for both. (extremely rare if caught in the air)
Any muffed kicks, whether punt or kickoff or field goal, that ends in endzone can be recovered by one of the KT for a touchdown? I mean if a muffed kick goes in endzone, lands in endzone, is it not a deadball as it would be if it were untouched, right?
Both in the air and on the ground? That is the ball would not have ended in endzone then without the impetus of the dive of KT, but the player diving would push, albeit unintentionally, the ball in endzone taking an advantage and allowing the KT to score a touchdown? Correct
This I don't understand.
Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Ok, let's get started.

I mean if it is a forward pass, the muffed ball by RT goes out of bounds in endzone, so this is only a incomplete pass and the down is over, right?

1. But I wanted to say another situation: I mean an attacker is going to the endzone, he avoid and overtakes a defender and then tries to pass the ball to another attacking companion (a pass backwards Rugby style) but at that moment the defender dives on the ball passed by the attacker but the defender touches the ball without being able to catch it and the ball pushed by the defender ends up in his own endzone (endzone’s defender) and from there it comes out of bounds (in endzone). In this case is it a touchback or safety? I think it’s a touchback, am I right?

The impetus of the ball is given by the pass of the attacker backwards, or sideways, but then the ball is finished outside the endzone of the defending team for the touch of the defender.

2. Another matter. A punt, only when touched by the RK, or a kickoff, muffed or after 10 yards, can be recovered by the KT but not advanced.
We have a situation where the kick, either punt or kickoff, lands near goal line, in this case the KT can only take possession of it and not advance, so they can not score touchdown. But I think there’s a little contradiction in that rule. I mean if a KT deliberately pushes the ball towards the endzone and then trying to score a touchdown is illegal (Illegal batting) but if he does it himself it is legal. But isn’t it the same thing?

Elijah Hicks SCORES A TOUCHDOWN OF A MUFFED PUNT!

In this video Hicks pushes the ball towards the endzone, but this is legal because it was unintentional, right?
I mean if the kick comes in flight the KT could juggling the ball until it arrives in endzone and doing so could he score a touchdown? But this only if this is unintentional? Or if the ball lands the KT can push it by diving over it?

Kicks out of bounds
  1. Kickoff goes directly out of bounds, penality 25y from the kick or where out of bounds or rekick -5y?
  2. Kickoff goes directy ouf bounds before 10y, what's the rule?
  3. Kickoff goes out bounds touched before 10y KT?
  4. before 10y touched by RK?
  5. before 10y touched by RK and then by KT?
  6. after 10y touched by KT only?
  7. after 10y touched by RK?
  8. after 10y touched by RK then KT?
  9. Punt goes out of bounds directly
  10. Punt goes out of bounds muffed by RT?
  11. Punt goes out of bounds muffed by RT and then by KT?
  12. Field goal out of bounds directly
  13. Field goal out of bounds muffed by RT
  14. Field goal ouf of bounds muffed by KT
  15. Field goal out of bounds muffed by RT and then by KT
I mean only touched by KT but never in possession of a player of kicking team.

I mean from the purely theoretical point of view if a kickoff had to be taken on the fly by a KT before it landed in endzone, would it be a touchdown? But it never would be if it was a punt, right?

Any muffed kicks, whether punt or kickoff or field goal, that ends in endzone can be recovered by one of the KT for a touchdown? I mean if a muffed kick goes in endzone, lands in endzone, is it not a deadball as it would be if it were untouched, right?

This I don't understand.
Thanks.
I appreciate your eagerness to learn the rules of American Football, but please understand that this is a High School Football Forum. The rules for High School Football are very different than those of the NFL. (which was is the point of the video you posted) I would encourage you to seek out an NFL Rules message board or social media group for any further explanations or interpretations of NFL Rules.

I didn’t know that in the same sport there were so many differences according to category. I apologize for my ignorance and thank you for your patience. However, my doubts were the last and if you could answer me the same I would be very grateful. I couldn’t find a forum to write to.
Thanks!