Ask The Ref?

This clarification is much appreciated fellas. I’ve seen it called twice once with a guy on the ground and elbow come up (should’ve been tripping)but was called Hurdling then the same game the opponent was called for it as well for hopping over a DE on a stretch run. It was only that one crew so wasn’t too sure. Thanks again
I'm curious.....

What do you mean by "should have been called tripping"?

4th and 11 from A’s 31-yard line. A’s punt is blocked and it rolls forward to A’s 34-yard line where it was recovered by A. A was given the ball, first and 10 from its 34. I could not tell if the punt touched a B player before A recovered. Does that matter?

4th and 11 from A’s 31-yard line. A’s punt is blocked and it rolls forward to A’s 34-yard line where it was recovered by A. A was given the ball, first and 10 from its 34. I could not tell if the punt touched a B player before A recovered. Does that matter?
Yes. Even though the touching by B may have been accidental, it's the same rule as when a receiver trys to catch a punt and muffs it. It's a 1st down for whoever gets the ball.

If it wasn't touched by B, A can "down" it, but it's not their ball.

In either case the block behind the line of scrimmage is ignored.

C vs CG? They got the call correct.

Is it illegal to have 10 players on the field? I was at a game where Waynesville had what would have been a game winning field goal taken off the board because the refs claimed they had 10 even though they had 11.

Is it illegal to have 10 players on the field? I was at a game where Waynesville had what would have been a game winning field goal taken off the board because the refs claimed they had 10 even though they had 11.
Ten wearing any number should have been OK.

You have to start with eleven but can finish with any number.

Unless they are in a legal scrimmage kick formation, the offense needs five players numbered 50-79 on the field.

Since it was not the first play of the game, and it was a PAT kick, neither rule would apply.

How did the officials communicate that the foul was for only 10 players on the field?

Reactions: bb9
1 Allsport wil correct me if I'm off:
You can play a down defensively with less than 11.
You could play offensively with 10 If you have 7 on the LOS

Is it no longer mandatory to wear mouth pieces?
Required in the NCAA and NFHS.
Am I correct in thinking this is no longer a yardage penalty? You just send the player to the bench until it's corrected?

Saw my first "disconcerting act" call on Friday. Ref announced it on the PA, then gave signal # 23, and that threw me off. Then I noticed on my latest copy of signals "failure to wear equipment" isn't mentioned anymore.

Am I correct in thinking this is no longer a yardage penalty? You just send the player to the bench until it's corrected?

Saw my first "disconcerting act" call on Friday. Ref announced it on the PA, then gave signal # 23, and that threw me off. Then I noticed on my latest copy of signals "failure to wear equipment" isn't mentioned anymore.
I have sent off at least 5 kickers this year for not having a mouth piece...

You are correct. This was a 2018 rule change. The offending player(s) are sent off for one down.
In 2020 this violation was reclassified from a 15yd unsportsmanlike conduct foul to a disconcerting foul. The penalty is 5yds.

You are correct. This was a 2018 rule change. The offending player(s) are sent off for one down.

In 2020 this violation was reclassified from a 15yd unsportsmanlike conduct foul to a disconcerting foul. The penalty is 5yds.
The 21 gang 9 & 12 are the best!

Not having one. I would tell them to put it in when I hand them the ball to kick off if I noticed. But if they didn't even have one, see ya later.
I haven't heard of that but will make a note to talk about it with our BJ and association next year.

Is there a "point of no return" for late hit out of bounds BEFORE the runner has made contact with the field out of bounds? I was watching a game this week where a runner was clearly trying to run out of bounds and was hit by a defender while the runner's foot was hovering beyond the out of bounds plane, but not yet in contact. This was penalized.

It seems to me the logic should be that if the possibility to force a fumble still exists, this should not be a penalty.

Is there a "point of no return" for late hit out of bounds BEFORE the runner has made contact with the field out of bounds? I was watching a game this week where a runner was clearly trying to run out of bounds and was hit by a defender while the runner's foot was hovering beyond the out of bounds plane, but not yet in contact. This was penalized.

It seems to me the logic should be that if the possibility to force a fumble still exists, this should not be a penalty.
A player is out of bounds when any part of the player is touching anything, other than another player or game official that is on or outside the sideline or end line.

So the answer to your question is, until the player is out fo bounds, that player can be legally contacted by the opponent.

At a game last night and some idiot thought it would be fun to blow an air horn. Second time said idiot was removed from the game. What is the rule on artificial noise makers? When the snap is imminent or anytime after the ready for play?

At a game last night and some idiot thought it would be fun to blow an air horn. Second time said idiot was removed from the game. What is the rule on artificial noise makers? When the snap is imminent or anytime after the ready for play?
Air horns are not permitted in the stadium. Noisemakers that require electric or power of other sorts are also prohibited by OHSAA regulation.

I guess the question is, cowbells (like Miss St) and milk jugs full of change, are they allowed to be used all the time?

I saw a game from last night where a team had the ball on its opponents’ 13 yard line and called a timeout. The team on the field ran toward the sideline and the coaches walked out to meet them halfway, but one of the referees adamantly directed them back to about the 30 yard line. I assume that’s the proper place to meet but had never seen that before…

Part of my answer from a couple weeks ago answers this.
There are two types of authorized team conferences that coaches are permitted to have with their players during timeouts.
1. One or more team members may meet with one or more coaches outside of the 9-yard marks from the sideline (the numbers) and directly in front of the team box. This is referred to as an "outside the 9-yard mark conference" in the rule book.
2. One coach may meet with no more than 11 team members between the 9-yard marks (the numbers) on the field. This is referred to as a "between the 9-yard mark conference" in the rule book.