Are you a true West Sider??

I remember Rinks being on Furguson where Walmart is now. I also seem to remember a flea market operating on the land behind Rinks. This would have been in the 60’s

Chinatown was definitely the first to occupy the space where Kroger is now in Delhi. That was followed by Van Luenens. There was also a grocery warehouse store that occupied part of that space before Kroger took it over. One side of the building was Van Luenens and the other side was Grocery Warehouse (I think that was the name of it).
I think you maybe mistaken here about Rinks being at this location. After the Becker Drug and Liberal Food combination, Thriftway built a huge grocery store in this location. I remember during the late 80's and most of the 90's Thriftway was very competitive with Kroger in food prices and quality. Both Kroger and Walmart are now in this area correct? It's been a while since I have been on that part of the westside.

I thought there was a drive in on Ferguson where Walmart is now. Was Rink's the building in front of the drive in where Tire Discounters is now?
View attachment 39313
The building you see in front of the Drive-Inn was Thriftway Food and Drug. Notice the old C&O Railroad line (southside of Drive-Inn) is torn up and removed in this picture. My guess this picture was taken between mid to late 1980's

Krogers has been in three different spots on the Pike, starting next to the bank at Delfair, then at Hunnefelt's farm, where the Township is now building and finally where it is today. When Delfair opened there were two grocery stores, Kroger's at one end and an Albers at the other (where Thriftway ended up going). When Krogers moved to where it is now, Biggs took over their old building.
Awesome memory you have there:)

What about car dealerships? Seive and the Akermans started things off in the 1920's or 30's with Seive's dealership at the corner of Delhi and Greenwell, in front of Maloney's and the Akermans with Glenway Chev on Glenway. Seive's became Seive Pontiac on Ferguson. There was a Buick dealership next to Seive's on Ferguson but I cannot remember the name. In the 60's and 70's there was Woody Sanders Ford where the current Ford dealership is at Glenway and Boudinot and there was a Dodge/Plymoth/Chrysler dealership somewhere on Glenway, down where Popeye's is now. I also remember a VW dealership on Westbourne. I think it was Luken's VW. It was where a storage facility is now located. Ed Wissel's Oldsmobile was located somewhere on the westside. I cannot recall where, but, I remember some guy on a three wheeled motorcycle coming over to pick up our Vista Cruiser for servicing and then towing the trike behind our car as he pulled away.

I almost forgot about Wullenweber in Westwood and then Dent. They started out in the 1920's with a Hudson/Nash dealership then American Motors, AMC/Renault, AMC/Jeep and then finally Chrysler/Jeep. I bought a Renault Alliance from them in the early 80's.
Ed Wessel Oldsmobile use to have a fellow drive around the neighborhood in a tri-wheel motorcycle with Ed Wessel Oldsmobile written on the back for advertisement. Bob Pulte (remember get the Pulte Price!) took over the Oldsmobile Dealership and then moved to Harrison Avenue which is now Green Township Administration Complex. The Buick dealer on Ferguson Road was Cones-Denver Buick. I bought my first used car there.

Went to the new Roy Rogers in Cleves tonight. They have a large part of the parking lot blocked off to accommodate the drive thru. Must have been 40 cars in line. We went inside and the service was pretty good. They have an unbelievable number of workers. The food was good but I had a small case of sticker shock. The regular size roast beef sandwich is $6.99. It will definitely be a regular stop for us.
I was always a Double R fan myself. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in Cincy.

Yes. The other side was originally a Frisch’s.
I remember seeing the Big Boy picture being displayed on the outside wall when the Creamy Whip Ice Cream Store (next to the dry cleaners) was getting repainted. It makes sense now being the original location. Learn something new everyday.

Went to the new Roy Rogers in Cleves tonight. They have a large part of the parking lot blocked off to accommodate the drive thru. Must have been 40 cars in line. We went inside and the service was pretty good. They have an unbelievable number of workers. The food was good but I had a small case of sticker shock. The regular size roast beef sandwich is $6.99. It will definitely be a regular stop for us.
Drove by it tonight and was shocked at how long the drive-thru line was. Inside looked packed too.

Drove by it tonight and was shocked at how long the drive-thru line was. Inside looked packed too.
We drove by tonight also and decided to wait awhile until the initial crowds go down. Since it is the only Roy's open in the area so far you may get people coming from all over initially.

I saw that Patrick's (which is around the corner from Skyline/Roy's on 128) has now become a Mexican Restaurant. Has anyone dined there yet? I'm curious about the quality of the food and service as I do enjoy a Mexican meal now and then.

Best fast food roast beef ever. It beats the heck out of the pressed beef loaf they carve up at Arby's.

Learned today the space that Panera use to occupy on Glenway Ave. is going to be converted into Mercy Health physician offices.

Have the unsolved 1966 murders of the family that lived behind Western Bowl ever been discussed on this thread or is that too dark of a topic?

Let ‘er rip
I recently read a book about the murders (Summer's Almost Gone)
The author was given access to the police files and the interviews of nearly 300 west siders conducted in 1966 and 1967.
I was amazed at how many of the people and their families I knew/know (it's the west side of course)

Between this thread (Are you a True Westsider) and the thread recently started regarding the 11 original Elder parishes I'm impressed with several posters knowledge of west side history with respect to buildings, locations, road changes etc.

In the book about the murders many key locations still stand and some of course do not.

Locations that still stand 65 years later: the murder house on Greenway behind Western Bowl, Larry's Hi-Lo on Glenway, Glenway Animal Hospital, Girten Tool and Die Company on Crookshank, Monsanto on River Road, St. Al's Church on Bridgetown, The Surf Club in Western Bowl, Maury's Tiny Cove, Woodhaven Swim Club

Some of the locations no longer there: the archery on Muddy Creek Road, David's Buffet, Wagon Wheel Cafe, Globe Records in Western Hills Mall, Shillito's in Western Woods Mall, Buffalo Ridge Crematorium.

Some of the posters on here may have been attending Elder at the time of the murders.
Would be interested in any memories they have on the murders themselves as well as some of the locations that are no longer in existence especially the archery that was on Muddy Creek Road (the white house still stands, it's near Oak Hills Swim Club on other side) and the Crematorium on Buffalo Ridge (there are scattered stones still on the ground of the observatory building)

Have the unsolved 1966 murders of the family that lived behind Western Bowl ever been discussed on this thread or is that too dark of a topic?
It hasn't been solved officially, but I think it's pretty clear the vet (Fred Leininger) who opened the Glenway Animal Hospital did it with a couple accomplices. I think one of them was his wife. Those two killed themselves together about 18 years ago.

That's what I felt after reading the book, anyway.

The Crematorium on Buffalo Ridge was never a crematorium. In was meant to be an observatory for UC way back when (unsure of the year). Funding fell thru and construction halted. Now all the sits, is the foundation with several large rocks/boulders. Over the years, it gathered ghost stories and occult stories. I have been there in the day time back in the 80's to check it out and it was freaky in broad daylight. We lifted a rock to place in our front yard of course telling our parent "we found it"!

It hasn't been solved officially, but I think it's pretty clear the vet (Fred Leininger) who opened the Glenway Animal Hospital did it with a couple accomplices. I think one of them was his wife. Those two killed themselves together about 18 years ago.

I'm not that familiar with the case. What was the motive?

Some of the locations no longer there: the archery on Muddy Creek Road, David's Buffet, Wagon Wheel Cafe, Globe Records in Western Hills Mall, Shillito's in Western Woods Mall, Buffalo Ridge Crematorium.
It's been a couple years since I read the book, but I believe it also mentions quite a bit a deli that was at the corner of Glenway and Lawrence that was where the Donatos is now ... that was long gone I think before I debuted 43 year ago.

It was so odd the read about the very street I grew up on briefly in the book (someone had reported a strange man walking down the street) and that he attended my church. Also, I know the man visited UDF for milk the night he was killed, but I don't remember if it was the UDF on Bridgetown at Aurora which is somehow still there or the one that is where Papa Johns is now on Glenway.

I just read their obits. Interesting that every one of their kids left town.