Are you a true West Sider??

Altiora 96

Yappi Survivor Champion
I got this e-mail today. 99% of this is true for me. I bet it's like that for most of you also:

You frequent Price Hill Chili

You live within 5 minutes of at least 5 Catholic churches.

You went to St.Dominic's evening mass to cruise chicks or guys

You've never been in a church that wasn't a Catholic church

Hudy Delight is a premium brand of beer

Eat Skyline Dip as a meal

Your idea of a day of shopping is a trip to "the Plaza?

You've tailgated a high school football game & your entire extended family (who also lives on the West Side) tailgated with you

You didn't know there were Public Schools

You know that Hoinke isn't a racist name for white people

You know that corn hole isn't a sexual term

Instead of asking what street someone lives on, you ask them what Parish they're from

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade doesn't hold a candle to the Harvest Home Parade

You would rather read The Western Hills Press _vs. The Cincinnati Enquirer

You've been to the Pit

You had your first kiss at the Pit

You've passed out at the Pit

You were "passed up" at the Pit

You know what it means when grown men point with one finger up & say "Altiora"

You know what the "gate at 8 means"

You've ridden the 10, 32 & 33

You know what The Dirty Dent is

You love the mini sausages & fries at The Farm

A finished basement means Christmas lights wrapped around support poles & a plaid couch

You've been to Curnayns/Crow's Nest/Ideal/Eddie's with your parents before you were 18.

How many of you remember the West Side at one time had 3 drive-ins? The Dent, Auto-in and Ferguson. There was also 3 movie theatres that I remember. The Westwood, The Covedale and the one in the Western Woods Mall whose name escapes me. Delhi park also is a west side tradition for "cruising" thru along with Glenway avenue and how about those who dare to travel on Buffalo ridge at night?

I do remember the three Drive Ins (Dent, Ferguson and Pirates Cove?). I also remember the Flea Market at the Ferguson on Saturdays and Sundays.

How about the House of Feathers?

Jteegardner said:
How many of you remember the West Side at one time had 3 drive-ins? The Dent, Auto-in and Ferguson. There was also 3 movie theatres that I remember. The Westwood, The Covedale and the one in the Western Woods Mall whose name escapes me. Delhi park also is a west side tradition for "cruising" thru along with Glenway avenue and how about those who dare to travel on Buffalo ridge at night?

I remember when two of the drive-ins. I remember the one on Ferguson, and the one back by the Pirate's Den. I don't remember either being functional. The only theatre I remember is Covedale, that's where we would go see movies when I was a kid. You had to pick between two movies.

I still don't drive Buffalo Ridge at night........

Altiora 96 said:
I remember when two of the drive-ins. I remember the one on Ferguson, and the one back by the Pirate's Den. I don't remember either being functional. The only theatre I remember is Covedale, that's where we would go see movies when I was a kid. You had to pick between two movies.

I still don't drive Buffalo Ridge at night........

when I was in HS, we used to cruise BR all the time, both day and night. I knew that place like the back of my hand. The 'cremetory' is an old abandon observatory UC was building way back when. The funding stopped and now all that remains is the rock foundation. There are a few old cars back there. I have lots of stories about that place.

Jteegardner said:
when I was in HS, we used to cruise BR all the time, both day and night. I knew that place like the back of my hand. The 'cremetory' is an old abandon observatory UC was building way back when. The funding stopped and now all that remains is the rock foundation. There are a few old cars back there. I have lots of stories about that place.

Wait a minute........... that's not really a cremetory?? I've got a few stories of my own about that place..............

How about eating at Sandy's (sp).

Also, how about when the old basketball gym became the new library, which is now the old library and new weight room/book store?

AZElder said:
How about eating at Sandy's (sp).

Also, how about when the old basketball gym became the new library, which is now the old library and new weight room/book store?

Showing your age, AZ. :D Don't forget the Hitching Post on Glenway by Phillips Pool, Old Town Ice Cream in Del-Fair Plaza, Huenefeld's Pumpkin Patch (Bigg's/Wild Mike's lot on Delhi Pike), Kroger's/Super-X where Funky Dunks is and Baskin Robbin's where the Greek Restaurant is across from Frisch's on Glenway.

For you really young ones, did you know that there used to be a railroad bridge across the intersection of Glenway/Race Road and Bridgetown Road. That's where the name Bridgetown came from. :rolleyes:

jjakq27 said:
Showing your age, AZ. :D Don't forget the Hitching Post on Glenway by Phillips Pool, Old Town Ice Cream in Del-Fair Plaza, Huenefeld's Pumpkin Patch (Bigg's/Wild Mike's lot on Delhi Pike), Kroger's/Super-X where Funky Dunks is and Baskin Robbin's where the Greek Restaurant is across from Frisch's on Glenway.

For you really young ones, did you know that there used to be a railroad bridge across the intersection of Glenway/Race Road and Bridgetown Road. That's where the name Bridgetown came from. :rolleyes:

I just heard about that bridge like a week ago. I'm 26, I don't know when they tore it down, but I have no recallection (sp?) of that what so ever.

I don't remember the Pumpkin Patch. I do remember when there was a Meijer Square on Delhi Pike though. Why it was called Meijer Square I have no idea.

Anyone remember the old gas station where Delhi Pike LaRosa's is now? What about when Delhi Pike was two lanes. Remember when there were only like 2 Delhi cops? It seems like there are 200 Delhi cops now.

Also, what about the Roy Rogers on Glenway right by the Frisch's..........

The Frisch's on Delhi Pike used to have the speaker ports in the back lot, where they would bring the food to the car.

I try to think of it more as being experienced ;)

The Greek place across from Frisch's is Sebastians (sp). How about when Frisch's still had car-hop service?

I know I'll spell this wrong, but Putzizes for the snowmen thing they used to serve.

Anybody remember going to Bushies (sp) for candy after swimming at Phillips?

Ok since we are talking about the west side here...which includes delhi....does any body know why the cops were out in full swing on saturday night at 12...cause i was taking home my friends and i saw 20 in the same hour....then i pulled into skyline to get some food and i saw a cop searching....im guessing a robbery?

PURPLE REIGN said:
You guys are old ;)

If "you guys" are old, I'm ancient!
I went to the Sunset Show (before it was the KofC hall, which was before it was Glenway Chev, which is now torn down for the new Carson School).

And I practiced Freshman Basketball in the Old Gym (before it was the library, which was before it was the weight room).

And I played on the Elder tennis courts (before it was the Freshman wing, before it was whatever the ---- they call it now).

Damn, if I'm so old, why am I still working?

How many remember that the West Side used to have Gold Circle, Van Leunens (sp?), Meiers, McAlpins, Shillitos, Elder-Beerman and Central Hardware. How about keller's IGA on Rulison and Bruno's on Glenway. I remember the railroad bridges on Ferguson. We used to drink beer under that bridge. Also how about Dunham when it was a tuberculosis hospital? Oh the good ole days:D

How about Maurmer's (SP) Shoes or when Price Hill Chili was just the one side of the building?

Not sure how far back this goes, but when we used to have first period class then go to home room. A and B days??

OH LORD..... I am old.

For all you O.L.L. people, how about a nice cold one at Rocky's. The only pony keg you went to was Hanson's, where Gene new everyone by name, and you didn't need Big's or Kroger's we had J&J's supermarket.

Who recalls Pin Ball Rally on Westbourne across from the putt putt. We used to call it 'Red Neck Rally'. Or Swallen's. I used to love that place. I even remember the old dump located where HH Gregg and Hobby Lobby is....... I'm getting up there:D

Jteegardner said:
How many remember that the West Side used to have Gold Circle, Van Leunens (sp?), Meiers, McAlpins, Shillitos, Elder-Beerman and Central Hardware. How about keller's IGA on Rulison and Bruno's on Glenway. I remember the railroad bridges on Ferguson. We used to drink beer under that bridge. Also how about Dunham when it was a tuberculosis hospital? Oh the good ole days:D

I forgot China-town. It was located where wal Mart is now. It became Van Luenens before it moved to where Central hardware was and now it is the new Krogers they are building. It is soooo confusing....:help: If this is incorrect, please help me. It was so long ago and I am getting old....I think:angel:

Jteegardner said:
Who recalls Pin Ball Rally on Westbourne across from the putt putt. We used to call it 'Red Neck Rally'.
Pin Ball Rally! Wow! Yeah I remember that place. How about Sandy's across the street from the O.L.L. playground?

I didn't think I was getting old, but I'm starting to second guess by some of the things I remember.

Altiora 96 said:
I didn't think I was getting old, but I'm starting to second guess by some of the things I remember.

judging by your yappi name, I assume you graduated in 1996. You are a young pup:D Here one for you: Do you remember the Hitching Post restaraunt located where Lutz's flowers is located on Glenway or Danny's Den on Ferguson and Glenway or Moeller's bar on Glenway. How about Beilers Sohio gas staion at the corner of Cleves Warsaw and Glenway. If you recall all that you are old:p

What about Sambo's? Which turned into Pizza Hut, Wings & Rings and now some Chinese buffet.

What about Eddie's drive through before Maloney's exsisted?

When Dunkin Doghnuts occupied where the Skyline is on Delhi?

Who remebers Zantigo's (now Taco Bell is on Delhi and Glemway -near Texas Roadhouse) where everything ontheir menu was less than a dollar?

What about Buger Chef which turned into Hardee's and now Gold Star on Delhi?

I remeber when Foley Forest was a forest.

I bought my 1st vinyl (yes you heard me young ones) record from Globe. A time when 8 tracks players and Ford Pintos were cool. ;)

I enjoyed going to Bella Napole (now the Golden Fleece) and the Feguson Drive-In.

Ahh the good ol' days

Jteegardner said:
How about Beilers Sohio gas staion at the corner of Cleves Warsaw and Glenway. If you recall all that you are old:p

I vaguely remember it. Which corner was it on? The CVS (old Kroger) side or UDF (the old 7Eleven)?