Are you a true West Sider??

He

Chinatown was in Delhi before Van Luenens. Van Luenens took over the China Town space. Van Luenens also had a hardware/home improvement store down where the Pet Store and The Salvation Army store is now.
I think Chinatown was on Ferguson across from Western Hills Builders Supply and changed its name to Van Luenens when it moved to Delhi next to Pets N Such and the hardware store, all new buildings. The site on Ferguson then became a Becker Drug and then a supermarket named Liberal, or maybe the order was reversed.

I think Chinatown was on Ferguson across from Western Hills Builders Supply and changed its name to Van Luenens when it moved to Delhi next to Pets N Such and the hardware store, all new buildings. The site on Ferguson then became a Becker Drug and then a supermarket named Liberal, or maybe the order was reversed.
I remember Rinks being on Furguson where Walmart is now. I also seem to remember a flea market operating on the land behind Rinks. This would have been in the 60’s

Chinatown was definitely the first to occupy the space where Kroger is now in Delhi. That was followed by Van Luenens. There was also a grocery warehouse store that occupied part of that space before Kroger took it over. One side of the building was Van Luenens and the other side was Grocery Warehouse (I think that was the name of it).

I remember Rinks being on Furguson where Walmart is now. I also seem to remember a flea market operating on the land behind Rinks. This would have been in the 60’s
I thought there was a drive in on Ferguson where Walmart is now. Was Rink's the building in front of the drive in where Tire Discounters is now?
1677554924689.png

You are absolutely right about that. The Ferguson Drive-in was behind Rinks. The flea market operated on the drive-in grounds on weekends.
I grew up on Prosperity Pl.
before the drive-in there was a putt putt and outdoor batting cages. The owner promoed its opening by having Ted Kluzewski come one night and hit balls for a half hour. The first time I ever saw a big league ball player in person. His wife came also.

Chinatown was definitely the first to occupy the space where Kroger is now in Delhi. That was followed by Van Luenens. There was also a grocery warehouse store that occupied part of that space before Kroger took it over. One side of the building was Van Luenens and the other side was Grocery Warehouse (I think that was the name of it).
Krogers has been in three different spots on the Pike, starting next to the bank at Delfair, then at Hunnefelt's farm, where the Township is now building and finally where it is today. When Delfair opened there were two grocery stores, Kroger's at one end and an Albers at the other (where Thriftway ended up going). When Krogers moved to where it is now, Biggs took over their old building.

What about car dealerships? Seive and the Akermans started things off in the 1920's or 30's with Seive's dealership at the corner of Delhi and Greenwell, in front of Maloney's and the Akermans with Glenway Chev on Glenway. Seive's became Seive Pontiac on Ferguson. There was a Buick dealership next to Seive's on Ferguson but I cannot remember the name. In the 60's and 70's there was Woody Sanders Ford where the current Ford dealership is at Glenway and Boudinot and there was a Dodge/Plymoth/Chrysler dealership somewhere on Glenway, down where Popeye's is now. I also remember a VW dealership on Westbourne. I think it was Luken's VW. It was where a storage facility is now located. Ed Wissel's Oldsmobile was located somewhere on the westside. I cannot recall where, but, I remember some guy on a three wheeled motorcycle coming over to pick up our Vista Cruiser for servicing and then towing the trike behind our car as he pulled away.

I almost forgot about Wullenweber in Westwood and then Dent. They started out in the 1920's with a Hudson/Nash dealership then American Motors, AMC/Renault, AMC/Jeep and then finally Chrysler/Jeep. I bought a Renault Alliance from them in the early 80's.

Last edited:
Krogers has been in three different spots on the Pike, starting next to the bank at Delfair, then at Hunnefelt's farm, where the Township is now building and finally where it is today. When Delfair opened there were two grocery stores, Kroger's at one end and an Albers at the other (where Thriftway ended up going). When Krogers moved to where it is now, Biggs took over their old building.
I think Kroger also had a store where funky dunks was/is (party hoppers or something like that?)

Tom Kneer Dodge ("Tom Kneer, a good man to ka-know") was on the west side of Glenway, I believe somewhere between Lawrence and Surrey. He sold that and then owned a Chrysler Plymouth Jeep dealership on the east side, I think in Milford.

Tom Kneer Dodge ("Tom Kneer, a good man to ka-know") was on the west side of Glenway, I believe somewhere between Lawrence and Surrey. He sold that and then owned a Chrysler Plymouth Jeep dealership on the east side, I think in Milford.
Wasn't it known as Glenway Dodge before it closed down?

What about car dealerships? Seive and the Akermans started things off in the 1920's or 30's with Seive's dealership at the corner of Delhi and Greenwell, in front of Maloney's and the Akermans with Glenway Chev on Glenway. Seive's became Seive Pontiac on Ferguson. There was a Buick dealership next to Seive's on Ferguson but I cannot remember the name. In the 60's and 70's there was Woody Sanders Ford where the current Ford dealership is at Glenway and Boudinot and there was a Dodge/Plymoth/Chrysler dealership somewhere on Glenway, down where Popeye's is now. I also remember a VW dealership on Westbourne. I think it was Luken's VW. It was where a storage facility is now located. Ed Wissel's Oldsmobile was located somewhere on the westside. I cannot recall where, but, I remember some guy on a three wheeled motorcycle coming over to pick up our Vista Cruiser for servicing and then towing the trike behind our car as he pulled away.

I almost forgot about Wullenweber in Westwood and then Dent. They started out in the 1920's with a Hudson/Nash dealership then American Motors, AMC/Renault, AMC/Jeep and then finally Chrysler/Jeep. I bought a Renault Alliance from them in the early 80's.
The Akermans moved Glenway Chevrolet to Glenhills Way, across from the Sports Mall and behind the Boudinot Walgreens.

Wasn't it known as Glenway Dodge before it closed down?
Yeah, that was Cronin's/Glenway Dodge and they closed in 2008 I think. Where Chipotle, T-mobile etc are now. Looking back that was a huge win for Green Township to redevelop that stretch of Glenway. Way better than an old car dealership

What used to be where the Glenway Kroger is now? I cannot remember

Yeah, that was Cronin's/Glenway Dodge and they closed in 2008 I think. Where Chipotle, T-mobile etc are now. Looking back that was a huge win for Green Township to redevelop that stretch of Glenway. Way better than an old car dealership

What used to be where the Glenway Kroger is now? I cannot remember
ontarios/hq

There was also a deli called Bruno’s across Ferguson from Rinks that I remember going to quite often with my Dad.
The last time I was in Brunos was probably 1970. The store was on Glenway then, out in front of the old Medical Arts building. They had different candies there and the cheeses really smelled. Mr. Bruno was outgoing and friendly. I played Knothole C ball for CAA with brothers Bob and Mike Bruno. I never knew much about the two, but we did share the experience of a no-hit win on that team. The only no-hitter I've ever played.

I grew up on Prosperity Pl.
before the drive-in there was a putt putt and outdoor batting cages. The owner promoed its opening by having Ted Kluzewski come one night and hit balls for a half hour. The first time I ever saw a big league ball player in person. His wife came also.
You have a decade on me, I only remember the drive-in. Perhaps you remember a fried chicken diner on Ferguson right next to the old practice field. It was called Quik Chik or something like that. This was around '66 or '67.

KMart was next to that Biggs in the 80s and 90s wasn’t it?

You have a decade on me, I only remember the drive-in. Perhaps you remember a fried chicken diner on Ferguson right next to the old practice field. It was called Quik Chik or something like that. This was around '66 or '67.
Yes. The Quik Chik was turned into Hoetting Realtors. Do you remember when Frisch’s was across the street in front of Phillips and that building became Dissingers Hamburgers then Phillips Cleaners.

Nope, Kmart was Biggs. Value City Furniture was next to Kmart.

Biggs went into Kmart after Kmart closed.
Got it. That makes sense. Now that you mention it, it does seem like Biggs was around after KMart. Am I imagining this or was there an Aldi in that space as well for a short time…?

Yes. The Quik Chik was turned into Hoetting Realtors. Do you remember when Frisch’s was across the street in front of Phillips and that building became Dissingers Hamburgers then Phillips Cleaners.
If I was flush with cash and could rub a couple of quarters together, I always liked Quik Chik. I don't remember Dissingers at all. The Frisch's across from Phillips (the swim club)was a place to hang out. I don't remember the original Hitching Post, but I do remember when it was next to Phillips. On the other side of the swim club was an A&W, then a 1hr. Martinizing store and Famous Recipe Chicken.

If I was flush with cash and could rub a couple of quarters together, I always liked Quik Chik. I don't remember Dissingers at all. The Frisch's across from Phillips (the swim club)was a place to hang out. I don't remember the original Hitching Post, but I do remember when it was next to Phillips. On the other side of the swim club was an A&W, then a 1hr. Martinizing store and Famous Recipe Chicken.
Yes. The other side was originally a Frisch’s.

Went to the new Roy Rogers in Cleves tonight. They have a large part of the parking lot blocked off to accommodate the drive thru. Must have been 40 cars in line. We went inside and the service was pretty good. They have an unbelievable number of workers. The food was good but I had a small case of sticker shock. The regular size roast beef sandwich is $6.99. It will definitely be a regular stop for us.

Went to the new Roy Rogers in Cleves tonight. They have a large part of the parking lot blocked off to accommodate the drive thru. Must have been 40 cars in line. We went inside and the service was pretty good. They have an unbelievable number of workers. The food was good but I had a small case of sticker shock. The regular size roast beef sandwich is $6.99. It will definitely be a regular stop for us.
Well I feel like that's about the going rate these days for all food out. I mean look at how much a small cheese coney is at Skyline.