All-Time Lists Update - UPDATED 4 November - Boys' 4x1,2,4,8 added

The Scott Fry double where he broke the mile and two mile record at the 1985 Class AA may be the only one to top it. The two mile record still stands.
Fry's 4:08.03 / 8:49.40 1600m/3200m at '85 State is the best double in Ohio history for that combo. I can see that from the data. I'm going to review McAfee's vs. others to see where it stands.

Boys' All-Time 1600m/Mile & 3200m/2-Miles - Top 50

Top 50 cut-off marks:
1600m - Performers - 4:11.1 MT (Updated) / Performances - 4:09.98 or better (converted marks included, but not ranked)
3200m - Performers - 9:07.54 (was 9:08.53) / Performances - 9:03.07 or better (converted marks included, but not ranked).

As always, community input is welcomed!

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Boys - Outdoor - 1600m - Top 50.pdf
    64.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Boys - Outdoor - 3200m - Top 50.pdf
    67.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Boys' All-Time 1600m/Mile & 3200m/2-Miles - Top 50

Top 50 cut-off marks:
1600m - 4:11.23 or better (converted marks included, but not ranked)
3200m - 9:08.53 or better (converted marks included, but not ranked).

As always, community input is welcomed!
The 1600m list has Chad Johnson listed as Dayton Colonel Crawford instead of North Robinson Colonel Crawford

Chad Balyo also had a 9:04.08 at the 2006 Daytin D1 Regional meet.
In re-reviewing, I did have that on my list under hidden performances not shown. The mistake I made was in listing 3200m performances beyond the top 50. I've corrected that as the #50 performance is at 9:03.07.

Thank you.

Michael Hall of St. Xavier ran a 4:09.45 to finish 2nd at state in 2013. Kevin Blank ran 4:10.86 to finish 3rd.

In re-reviewing, I did have that on my list under hidden performances not shown. The mistake I made was in listing 3200m performances beyond the top 50. I've corrected that as the #50 performance is at 9:03.07.

Thank you.
Are you including all performances under the 4:11.23 cut-off? Same for 3200m - I hope my question makes sense.

Last edited:
Are you including all performances under the 4:11.23 cut-off? Same for 3200m - I hope my question makes sense.
No, the top 50 performances & performers. The performers cut-off was 4:11.23. I apologize for not being more clear.

Michael Hall of St. Xavier ran a 4:09.45 to finish 2nd at state in 2013. Kevin Blank ran 4:10.86 to finish 3rd.
Thank you. I missed Hall's 4:09.45 which is in the top 50 performace list. Blank's 4:10.86 falls outside the top 50 performances, but I did miss his later 4:09.15 mile at NBNO's in '14. I've included that now.

Files have been updated. Keep additions/corrections coming if you spot them. Thanks again!

Here are clarified cut-offs:

Top 50 cut-off marks:
1600m - Performers - 4:11.1 MT (Updated) / Performances - 4:09.98 or better (converted marks included, but not ranked)
3200m - Performers - 9:07.54 (was 9:08.53) / Performances - 9:03.07 or better (converted marks included, but not ranked).

Working on finalizing the relays lists for release by Halloween. I've already started finalizing the ladies events for formatting as well to be released in December.

During '24-'25, my goal is to add to the list of events I've already been building lists for, but a lot more research is needed still. The immediate priority, though, after the outdoor lists are finalizing the top-30 indoor lists for boys & girls.

'24 projects
  • Indoor Top 30 lists
  • Outdoor lists including javelin & multi-events updated
  • All-yards lists initial release
  • State Meet Results 1908-20 completed

Files have been updated. Keep additions/corrections coming if you spot them. Thanks again!

Here are clarified cut-offs:

Top 50 cut-off marks:
Ignore this if my interpretation/understanding is incorrect.

4:08.21, Jacob Dumford, state, 2013, 1st
4:08.38, Dustin Horter, state, 2017, 1st
4:06.96, Dustin Horter, state, 2018, 1st
4:07.70, Ryan Chevalier, state, 2022, 1st
4:09.46, Connor Ackley, regional, 2023, 1st

Ignore this if my interpretation/understanding is incorrect.

4:08.21, Jacob Dumford, state, 2013, 1st
4:08.38, Dustin Horter, state, 2017, 1st
4:06.96, Dustin Horter, state, 2018, 1st
4:07.70, Ryan Chevalier, state, 2022, 1st
4:09.46, Connor Ackley, regional, 2023, 1st
Thank you! The file has been updated save for Ackley's 4:09.46. That was already listed.

Keep em coming folks!

I don't have a '69 program in front of me, but I've got access to one from the '66 year. The basic order of events has been very much like today's since the 1920s with minor variations. I think it would've run something like this:

Class AA - Mile
Class A - Mile

Class AA - 440 yard
Class A - 440 yard

Class AA - 180 yard LH
Class A - 180 yard LH

Class AA - 880 yard
Class A - 880 yard

Given that, I'm thinking he had at most 40 minutes between events. As you said, one of the all-time great doubles. Especially given the shoes of that era and the early, hard synthetic surfaces common of that era.
Here is the schedule of the 1966 state meet for the portion between the mile & 880 with start times. I suspect this was the same for the '69 state meet given no event changes took place.

2:30pm - Mile Run - Class A & Class AA
2:45pm - 880yd Relay - Class A & Class AA
3:00pm - 440yd - Class A & Class AA
3:15pm - 180ydLH - Class A & Class AA
3:30pm - 880yd - Class A & Class AA

So, given that information, it appears McAfee had an approx. 1 hour recovery between events.

I still haven't found a better Mile/880 or 16/8 double yet.

These lists do not put distance running in NW Ohio in a very good light. If I counted correctly there were 4 boys from NW Ohio in total between both 1600 and 3200.

I looked in my 1969 program and that is the same time schedule. Btw, the Official Program costs 25 cents in 1969. McAfee was 6.5 seconds ahead of second place finisher Stapleton of Mentor in the mile

Last edited:
I looked in my 1969 program and that is the same time schedule. Btw, the Official Program costs 25 cents in 1969. McAfee was 6.5 seconds ahead of second place finisher Stapleton of Mentor in the mile
Glad to see you here again, Lancermania! Hadn't heard from you in awhile. Stapleton, I believe later of UC Bearcasts fame, moved to #2 all-time (at the time) with his 4:15.0 behind McAfee. It was an incredible race.

These lists do not put distance running in NW Ohio in a very good light. If I counted correctly there were 4 boys from NW Ohio in total between both 1600 and 3200.
It certainly isn't any intent on my part to put anyone or any region in any negative light. I hope it isn't taken that way. I'm sure the NW excels in other areas. Minster at the D3 level is a stone-cold killer program.

Toledo Central, later Toledo Scott, has been a major powerhouse for much of it's 100+ year program.

Glad to see you here again, Lancermania! Hadn't heard from you in awhile. Stapleton, I believe later of UC Bearcasts fame, moved to #2 all-time (at the time) with his 4:15.0 behind McAfee. It was an incredible race.
McAfee ran 4:13.9 at the regional in 1969 which was his state qualifying time.

It certainly isn't any intent on my part to put anyone or any region in any negative light. I hope it isn't taken that way. I'm sure the NW excels in other areas. Minster at the D3 level is a stone-cold killer program.

Toledo Central, later Toledo Scott, has been a major powerhouse for much of it's 100+ year program.
I certainly didn't take it that way. It is just what the fact are of that area of the state in these two events and was a bit of a surprise to me. Thank goodness for Fry so there is some representation.

I certainly didn't take it that way. It is just what the fact are of that area of the state in these two events and was a bit of a surprise to me. Thank goodness for Fry so there is some representation.
Fry was a one-man team.

So was Zishka, who has the best two-day triple I've seen yet: 8:49.9 (3200 on Friday), then 4:10.3 (1600), 1:53.5 (800 - 2nd) at the '80 Bellaire Relays.

Fry was a one-man team.

So was Zishka, who has the best two-day triple I've seen yet: 8:49.9 (3200 on Friday), then 4:10.3 (1600), 1:53.5 (800 - 2nd) at the '80 Bellaire Relays.
Zishka was very far from a one man team. They had 5-6 under 1:57 and a dozen or more under 2:00 and something like 8-10 under 4:35. They also had nearly every event with decent coverage. They came very close to scoring a perfect score in the '80 SE district. Also, unless Bellaire changed the format in '80, '79 and prior had those events (3200/2mile morning, 1600/mile, 800/880) all on the same day.

CC Track Fan, the NW like the SE sport very low populations compared to the central, NE, and SW. Some of their underrepresentation is just numbers.

Zishka was very far from a one man team. They had 5-6 under 1:57 and a dozen or more under 2:00 and something like 8-10 under 4:35. They also had nearly every event with decent coverage. They came very close to scoring a perfect score in the '80 SE district. Also, unless Bellaire changed the format in '80, '79 and prior had those events (3200/2mile morning, 1600/mile, 800/880) all on the same day.

CC Track Fan, the NW like the SE sport very low populations compared to the central, NE, and SW. Some of their underrepresentation is just numbers.
I'm aware of how strong Lancaster was in that period. My comment was not meant a slight in any context, only that Zishka was so good that his average performances were more than adequate to decimate most team's best runners. One of my former teammates competed with Zishka at Lancaster on their distance team, and I knew how good he was.

Thank you for the clarification on Bellaire's schedule. I misinterpreted a newspaper article's intent when it mentioned Zishka "coming back to win the 1600m" after the 3200m. I had no idea they changed up the normal schedule like that and assumed the 3200m had been run on Friday evening.

I'm aware of how strong Lancaster was in that period. My comment was not meant a slight in any context, only that Zishka was so good that his average performances were more than adequate to decimate most team's best runners. One of my former teammates competed with Zishka at Lancaster on their distance team, and I knew how good he was.

Thank you for the clarification on Bellaire's schedule. I misinterpreted a newspaper article's intent when it mentioned Zishka "coming back to win the 1600m" after the 3200m. I had no idea they changed up the normal schedule like that and assumed the 3200m had been run on Friday evening.
Due to all your posts, I know that you know the sport well, and likely meant what you explained above.

Off topic, but I was using the context to pontificate about just how strong Lancaster was at that time. '77-78 was my first year coaching in Ohio and they were in our league. I was shell-shocked wondering if that level of performances across the board was normal in Ohio. 3-4 throwers over 55', many 13'+ pv, 4-5 under 1:55, 6'10" hj, 23'+ lj low 14 hh,..... They were loaded for sure.

It certainly is smaller than the big 3 areas but nothing like the SE. Greater Toledo has sizable population and Zak Kirk (Maumee) is the only one on either list from that area. The other 3 on the list are more on the edges of the NW region. Having three on the list from the smaller towns in NW is good representation the issue is greater Toledo has fell short of producing high end distance runners.

Due to all your posts, I know that you know the sport well, and likely meant what you explained above.

Off topic, but I was using the context to pontificate about just how strong Lancaster was at that time. '77-78 was my first year coaching in Ohio and they were in our league. I was shell-shocked wondering if that level of performances across the board was normal in Ohio. 3-4 throwers over 55', many 13'+ pv, 4-5 under 1:55, 6'10" hj, 23'+ lj low 14 hh,..... They were loaded for sure.
Definitely NOT the norm in Ohio. More like a California/Texas/Florida team with that kind of firepower.

It certainly is smaller than the big 3 areas but nothing like the SE. Greater Toledo has sizable population and Zak Kirk (Maumee) is the only one on either list from that area. The other 3 on the list are more on the edges of the NW region. Having three on the list from the smaller towns in NW is good representation the issue is greater Toledo has fell short of producing high end distance runners.
Is Todd Black from NW Ohio or just coach there?

I remember Hallbrin upsetting Zishka in the mile in '80, Haley from Lancaster winning in '81 in 4:11-4:12 but didn't Monske (DeVilbiss?) win in '82? If my memory is correct, he is a Toledo city guy addition.