80 people stormed a California Nordstrom store and stole merchandise

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
About 80 people rushed into a Nordstrom store near San Francisco on Saturday and stole merchandise in what authorities called an "organized theft."

Police in Walnut Creek said Sunday that they arrested three people in connection with the incident at the luxury department store, including one person allegedly in possession of a gun.

"The remaining participants in this criminal mob fled from the area in cars at high speeds," officials added.

What a bunch of POS
You include the Mayor and "Prosecutor" in that bunch, I hope.

Why are people putting up with this ? It's not a cop issue. It's their bosses. I mean, aside from Bezos or Walmart.com, who but a bunch of scumbags really benefits from this ? Do people realize that they'll be hiding in their houses if this reaches its inevitable conclusion ?

The big problem here is that the store has a rule that basically says “everything is insured, it’s not worth risking your life to stop it”. This is exactly why these criminals feel empowered to do this. There are no repercussions. I guarantee you that if the store security guard had the orders to “shoot at will” this would send a nice message to the criminals that petty shoplifting may come with a death sentence and they may think twice.

The big problem here is that the store has a rule that basically says “everything is insured, it’s not worth risking your life to stop it”. This is exactly why these criminals feel empowered to do this. There are no repercussions. I guarantee you that if the store security guard had the orders to “shoot at will” this would send a nice message to the criminals that petty shoplifting may come with a death sentence and they may think twice.
Of course they would think twice, but you cannot use deadly force to protect property, at least not under these circumstances. So in the end, these stores will pack up and leave.

Because States have laws against using deadly force to protect property....

Probably need to rethink those laws.

at some point insurance will not cover this.....

It’s also only a misdemeanor if you get caught stealing under $950 worth of goods. Thankfully, their idiot DA is being recalled. The only bad part is the recall isn’t until June.

at some point insurance will not cover this.....
Make the insurance so expensive that it forces the stores to develop a plan to stop these orchestrated shoplifting sprees. Hitting these big companies on the bottom line is the only thing they understand.

What is your plan to stop these orchestrated attacks?
Video cameras inside the store should have the ability to recognize the unnatural movements of the shoplifters on camera. (People don’t normally run while shopping). This movement would send an electronic signal to the store’s security system which would automatically lock the doors and prevent the thieves from leaving the store. Add about 5-6 extra armed security guards to stores where this activity happens regularly. These armed guards could apprehend the losers and take them into custody.
Or something like that.

Video cameras inside the store should have the ability to recognize the unnatural movements of the shoplifters on camera. (People don’t normally run while shopping). This movement would send an electronic signal to the store’s security system which would automatically lock the doors and prevent the thieves from leaving the store. Add about 5-6 extra armed security guards to stores where this activity happens regularly. These armed guards could apprehend the losers and take them into custody.
Or something like that.
5 armed guards against 80 thieves...

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.