2024 Elder Football

Size is an issue with Elder this coming season for most positions other than MLB. It is lacking at many positions especially the offensive & defensive lines. Estep will grow and looks to be a really nice athlete with a good mind for the position. I also have been told there was some shuffling in the coaching ranks. New freshman coaches and a new DC for the 2024 season. Hopefully the 3 man front leaves as the Elder defense has been unable to stop the run recently.

Last edited:
Size is an issue with Elder this coming season for most position other than MLB. It is lacking at many positions especially the offensive & defensive lines. Estep will grow and looks to be a really nice athlete with a good mind for the position. I also have been told there was some shuffling in the coaching ranks. New freshman coaches and a new DC for the 2024 season. Hopefully the 3 man front leaves as the Elder defense has been unable to stop the run recently.
It would be nice to see them go to a 4 DL Front. It’s really hard to find the right personnel every yr to fill out a 3-4 Defense. Giant 275 lbs + NTs that require a dbl team, just aren’t very common at the HS level.

I think the DL has a chance to be pretty good with the Hutchison twins, Binion, Broxterman and maybe Kittles and Cassaro.

OL is a concern. James is the only one returning with experience. However, the backups had size:

Esmail- 6-5 270
Hoffman- 6-1 250
Scott- 6-3 285.

What will be critical for how well the OL plays, is how well they can move & bend. You can be 6-7 330 lbs at LT but if you move like your feet are in cement, it doesn’t matter. Also, if you can’t bend your knees, and you have to block straight up, DL will knock you on your a**.

Last edited:
Estep isn’t a legacy. Watch their film, Queen might be better when it’s all said and done, but Estep is more polished at this point.
im guessing my comment went way over your head.

jtk
()

I’m guessing you were parodying Trey, but you’re usually not sarcastic.
yes, im tired of clicking threads that he's hijacked with his rant. never stays on topic and the mods do nothing. but yes i was being sarcastic. i knew the kid was going back b/c he wasn't going to play qb at elder.

jtk
()

yes, im tired of clicking threads that he's hijacked with his rant. never stays on topic and the mods do nothing. but yes i was being sarcastic. i knew the kid was going back b/c he wasn't going to play qb at elder.

jtk
()
I’ve muted him bc I knew I couldn’t help myself and I was contributing to the hijacking by constantly responding.

I just thought it was funny bc this is one instance where the Elder QB is not from a westside feeder and I don’t believe his dad is an Elder grad. He may have a relative play bball a few yrs ago, but that was it.

Estep isn’t a legacy. Watch their film, Queen might be better when it’s all said and done, but Estep is more polished at this point.
Based on what I saw on game day Queen was not clearly the best QB on the freshmen level this year. At the beginning of the year I thought he was the better QB but by the end of the year I thought the other kid (whose name escapes me at the moment) had at least drawn even with him and IMHO was slightly better than Queen. I was expecting big things from Queen based on what I had heard here, unfortunately that never really materialized. I wish the young man nothing but the best at Cov Cath but based on what I saw last year Elder retained the better QBs in their program.

Based on what I saw on game day Queen was not clearly the best QB on the freshmen level this year. At the beginning of the year I thought he was the better QB but by the end of the year I thought the other kid (whose name escapes me at the moment) had at least drawn even with him and IMHO was slightly better than Queen. I was expecting big things from Queen based on what I had heard here, unfortunately that never really materialized. I wish the young man nothing but the best at Cov Cath but based on what I saw last year Elder retained the better QBs in their program.
The other Frosh QB was Andriacco. Estep was starting on JV and was really good.

I’ve muted him bc I knew I couldn’t help myself and I was contributing to the hijacking by constantly responding.

I just thought it was funny bc this is one instance where the Elder QB is not from a westside feeder and I don’t believe his dad is an Elder grad. He may have a relative play bball a few yrs ago, but that was it.
seriously, what is his obsession with elder? i don't get it.

i know you at least went to the school and are weird about it. but damn he's a bird lol, and he thinks people are listening to him lol.

jtk
()

seriously, what is his obsession with elder? i don't get it.

i know you at least went to the school and are weird about it. but damn he's a bird lol, and he thinks people are listening to him lol.

jtk
()
I don’t disagree with him on every point. Mostly because it’s the same things I’ve been saying for over a decade.

However, many other times, he’ll use half truths or outright falsehoods to spread rumors. It seems very personal with him. It bothers me that when he’s proven to be wrong, he’ll act like this is the State Media trying to squash dissenting opinions.

Estep has the ability to be special, again this is the JV level and he looks more than comfortable vs the elevated competition. Also, the JV team went like 6-2 and this is not a talented class outside of maybe 10 players. They went like 2-8 as Frosh and got their a** kicked in most losses. This speaks to the coaching and play of Estep .

Yes having Trey gone is such a blessing. Funny to see him in other threads ruining the topic by talking about the same crap he did in here bashing legacy kids/families and awful Elder is in general. Lol. On a side note c/o 2026 Derek Uran picked up his first football offer from the University of Toledo. Congratulations Derek.

Yes having Trey gone is such a blessing. Funny to see him in other threads ruining the topic by talking about the same crap he did in here bashing legacy kids/families and awful Elder is in general. Lol. On a side note c/o 2026 Derek Uran picked up his first football offer from the University of Toledo. Congratulations Derek.
Will be interesting to see where he ends up postion wise. Played corner but I'd bet he ends up at Safety or grows into a LB

Uran has very good speed and football instincts. Difference maker for sure and glad to see the offers begin rolling in.

I realize he ran track last year and had success but wonder if he isn't better off focusing on getting stronger this offseason?

Uran has very good speed and football instincts. Difference maker for sure and glad to see the offers begin rolling in.

I realize he ran track last year and had success but wonder if he isn't better off focusing on getting stronger this offseason?

A lot of top recruits continue to run track. Some guys love the competition and running.

A lot of top recruits continue to run track. Some guys love the competition and running.
I would consider moving Uran to full time Rb. I think the lines will have plenty of size. They will be on the younger side though as they more or less have to replace the whole OL and Dline next yr.

I would consider moving Uran to full time Rb. I think the lines will have plenty of size. They will be on the younger side though as they more or less have to replace the whole OL and Dline next yr.
I would not move a D1 defensive player to offense full time but I do believe it would be wise to get him a handful of touches a game on offense. Play offense 20% of the time much like Springfield does with some of their corner/safeties recruits. Jet Sweeps/Orbit pitches/slants/go routes etc. Faking a jet sweep or orbit pitch sweep to him would certainly allow the QB to have some options off that play action.

I would not move a D1 defensive player to offense full time but I do believe it would be wise to get him a handful of touches a game on offense. Play offense 20% of the time much like Springfield does with some of their corner/safeties recruits. Jet Sweeps/Orbit pitches/slants/go routes etc. Faking a jet sweep or orbit pitch sweep to him would certainly allow the QB to have some options off that play action.
I agree, but they also have no depth at RB. Again, not trying to be disrespectful to the 2 returning RBs, but they’re 3rd Down Backs. Neither have the size to run the ball bw the Tackles.

I agree, but they also have no depth at RB. Again, not trying to be disrespectful to the 2 returning RBs, but they’re 3rd Down Backs. Neither have the size to run the ball bw the Tackles.
James Willig will be a bigger body able to run the ball. Currently he is a 10th grader and you also cannot count out another junior to be Tommy Becker. He has been hit by the injury bug his last two seasons but if healthy he can tote the rock as well. Both of these young men possess above average size and speed as well.

It would be nice to see them go to a 4 DL Front. It’s really hard to find the right personnel every yr to fill out a 3-4 Defense. Giant 275 lbs + NTs that require a dbl team, just aren’t very common at the HS level.

I think the DL has a chance to be pretty good with the Hutchison twins, Binion, Broxterman and maybe Kittles and Cassaro.

OL is a concern. James is the only one returning with experience. However, the backups had size:

Esmail- 6-5 270
Hoffman- 6-1 250
Scott- 6-3 285.

What will be critical for how well the OL plays, is how well they can move & bend. You can be 6-7 330 lbs at LT but if you move like your feet are in cement, it doesn’t matter. Also, if you can’t bend your knees, and you have to block straight up, DL will knock you on your a**.

Did the twins both start on the DL on JV this year? They were really good at OH. I could have absolutely seen them also being a huge difference in the turnaround for that class from freshman year to JV.

James Willig will be a bigger body able to run the ball. Currently he is a 10th grader and you also cannot count out another junior to be Tommy Becker. He has been hit by the injury bug his last two seasons but if healthy he can tote the rock as well. Both of these young men possess above average size and speed as well.
I say this every year, but the key to Elder's offense is the O-line.

When this group is above average, the offense will put up points.

Ramsey will find guys at WR, RB, TE, but offensive line is the key.

Did the twins both start on the DL on JV this year? They were really good at OH. I could have absolutely seen them also being a huge difference in the turnaround for that class from freshman year to JV.
Yes, they were actually both moved up to varsity during the playoffs.

Willig just started playing RB this yr and did well. No idea who Becker is.

I say this every year, but the key to Elder's offense is the O-line.

When this group is above average, the offense will put up points.

Ramsey will find guys at WR, RB, TE, but offensive line is the key.
You’re underselling the importance of skill talent. Elder had no run game last yr without Brass. If they didn’t have him, it would’ve been really bad.

Edit: really do not love that the leading returning rusher from last yr is wrestling at 132 lbs. That’s just way too small. I get he’ll have time in the off season to add weight but how much can he realistically put on? Nowhere near enough to have be the leading ball carrier next yr.

Last edited: