2023 season

Bellbrook having a good week. After beating Beavercreek Monday night...they went to Alter tonight and came away with a 4-0 win.

Last edited:
Was going to hit the MND and Mason game to catch a glimpse of what two of the better programs look like right now, but it was postponed so I stayed local and watched some CHL action Madeira and Waynesville. Madeira did a good job early with their entire defensive 3rd packed with players and man marked and or doubled Erbach. Problem with that is it leaves people open. They executed well with an early transition goal and some very smart footwork and passing from the Madeira forward #13 and put the Amazons on top 1-0. The younger Erbach scored on a rocket of a shot to tie it up. And the flood gates opened. Even man marked and double teamed with with a box full of defenders the elder Erbach had 3 goals and 3 assists. And could have had more. The deft #20 Woody, I remembered strongly from last years Mariemont game was also very impactful. All in I’ve never seen a team do this to Madeira and I have been watching the CHL for 20+ years. This was the worst Madeira loss in recorded history that I could find. I thought I remembered a 5 or 6-0 loss to SUA back in their hey day and a 5 or 6-1 vs CCDS loss who’s always great a couple years back so I looked through the CHL archives and indeed this is the worst. And they subbed the better players out multiple times. If Waynesville stays healthy they have a strong chance at 3 state runs in 3 years. 8-1 against a stacked and packed defense was impressive.

Looking forward to watching the hill take on Monroe tonight. Some storied matches between these two D2 powerhouse programs.

Oak Hills-9
Ursuline-2

Ursuline coach stunk at Elder and now stinking up a once proud program at UA!
No defending the coach but doing a quick look on the website, since 2015, UA's program has only had one winning season. in the period since he's been coaching, there have been 2 GGCl teams that have won state and SUA has been solid over the course of that time too. How much of this can be attributed to enrollment declining. They have been about as dominant in volleyball in the state and UA could barely field a freshman team this year - heard they are only around 80-85 freshman this year

No defending the coach but doing a quick look on the website, since 2015, UA's program has only had one winning season. in the period since he's been coaching, there have been 2 GGCl teams that have won state and SUA has been solid over the course of that time too. How much of this can be attributed to enrollment declining. They have been about as dominant in volleyball in the state and UA could barely field a freshman team this year - heard they are only around 80-85 freshman this year
Not sure about enrollment, But that is very concerning if true. Speaking of enrollment i think Seton was the biggest beneficiary of the Mercy/McCauley merger!

What ever came of the situation with the Walsh coach from last year? Was he suspended? Is he still coaching at Walsh?

Not sure about enrollment, But that is very concerning if true. Speaking of enrollment i think Seton was the biggest beneficiary of the Mercy/McCauley merger!
It is true on the frosh number, 84, at UA this year. New President and principal brought in this summer to right the ship. Another class or two that size, their athletic department could take awhile to recover.

Big win for Centerville taking down WJ and scoring multiple goals in the process. Centerville will likely run undefeated with a cupcake schedule till their season ending match vs GGCL MND.

Made the Hill vs. Monroe game after a reschedule. Like I said before the lady braves (along with the rest of the CHL) having a very down year. Monroe held the vast majority of possession. Watching the lady hornets though I really can’t see how they shut down Wyoming. Their defense was not very organized and I saw no standouts on either side of the ball from Monroe. The Hill is trying to put it together but with the big losses from graduation last year it will probably take a year or two before things come back around.

Across the rest of the landscape, ECC kings finally played a non cupcake but still not great GCL McNick squad and things went as I expected a big L for the charmin soft lady knights. Milford putting themselves as the de facto ECC champion but we’ll see how their defense holds up long haul. Good win for GMC Oak Hills 3-1 vs GWOC Miamisburg. Mason gets a big win vs 1-0 UA the likely best Columbus team. Two good GMC wins, can’t remember the last time I said that out loud.
Summit beat Tipp 3-0. As usual MVC Summit setting themselves apart in D2 along with SWBL Waynesville who showed last years SWOC champs and new to the SWBL Ross what CHL Madeira just learned and SWBL Bellbrook who posted wins over D1 Lebanon and Beavercreek and a win vs. D2 Alter that took down the GWOC Centerville.

Need to catch a Seton, MND, Milford, Summit and Mason game soon.

Empty Cup, did you see the Centerville game versus Walsh Jesuit? If you did then you wouldn't call it a "big win" or a "take down" of Walsh Jesuit. I'm not a fan of Walsh Jesuit but, their careless mistakes are what led to Centerville's win. Walsh was up 2-0 in the first 15 minutes of the game. That's either very impressive of Walsh or very unimpressive of Centerville to give up two goals in 15 minutes at home. Centerville scored on a long range shot 35 yards out (no pressure on the ball). Walsh scored making it 3-1 before their center back made a fundamental mistake running out to the sideline in an attempt to double team the Centerville forward who cut in between the Walsh defenders resulting in breakaway. The other center back closed the Centerville forward on top of the penalty box and narrowed her shooting angle but the Walsh keeper came out and dove the wrong way leaving the goal open for a simple pass down the middle. Had the Walsh GK stayed where she was then she most likely would've made the save since the Centerville forward would've been forced to take an angled shot. Centerville's third goal was very similar to their second goal. The Centerville forward was under pressure but the Walsh GK decided to come out and was chipped. Had she stayed where she was then the way that goal was scored never happens. Walsh had an excellent opportunity to score a 4th goal on a nice turn on Centerville's 6 yard line but, the Walsh forward's left footed shot was lacking allowing it to be saved. The last two goals Centerville scored were basically gifts from the Walsh defense. The Walsh center back kicked the ball into the Centerville forward on top of their own penalty box and then the Walsh GK came out and dove the wrong way again allowing the Centerville forwards to pass the ball into the empty net. The last goal was a colossal error by the Walsh outside back (who was on the sideline at the time) trying to drop the ball to her GK who was a few yards out from the center of the goal. The Centerville forward (who was standing behind the Walsh center backs) pounced on the pass and was immediately in a 1v1 with the Walsh GK who was late to set and dive. Javiar definitely needs to work with his GK on diving the right way and being more patient and he needs to work with his defenders dealing with pressure in their defensive third as they made poor decisions under pressure. Centerville's high pressuring speedy forwards and Walsh's defenders making rudimentary mistakes are the reason why Centerville won. A tie would've been a more fair result of this game based upon scoring opportunities created as opposed to scoring opportunities capitalized due to defensive blunders.

I would say a big win considering Centerville was 1-2 entering the game and Walsh is also a top program in the state historically.

I would say a big win considering Centerville was 1-2 entering the game and Walsh is also a top program in the state historically.
Your definition of a "big win" and my definition are definitely different especially since most of the goals in this game were because of defensive and GK errors that nobody would expect to see out of state powerhouse teams. Now, Seton beating Anderson 5-0 (who tied Mason 1-1) is a "big win." Mason defeating UA is a good win since they're the second best team out of the Central District 1-0. If Mason were to beat Olentangy Orange, arguably the best team in the Central District as of now, two or three to nothing then, that would be a "big win." When there are 8 goals scored in a game, the team winning is usually the team that made the fewest mistakes on defense, or was a little better at finishing, or was just the luckier team that day. Winning 5-3 on the other team's two major blunders would be a good win (only because it was Walsh) or more likely I would call it an "ugly win" since both teams yielded so many goals and since the final score easily could've been 5-4 or 4-4.

Your definition of a "big win" and my definition are definitely different especially since most of the goals in this game were because of defensive and GK errors that nobody would expect to see out of state powerhouse teams. Now, Seton beating Anderson 5-0 (who tied Mason 1-1) is a "big win." Mason defeating UA is a good win since they're the second best team out of the Central District 1-0. If Mason were to beat Olentangy Orange, arguably the best team in the Central District as of now, two or three to nothing then, that would be a "big win." When there are 8 goals scored in a game, the team winning is usually the team that made the fewest mistakes on defense, or was a little better at finishing, or was just the luckier team that day. Winning 5-3 on the other team's two major blunders would be a good win (only because it was Walsh) or more likely I would call it an "ugly win" since both teams yielded so many goals and since the final score easily could've been 5-4 or 4-4.

Lucky goals and mistakes are part of the game, these are high school kids. So if masons goal last night was an own goal by UA would we not count that as a win?

If Anderson gave seton a few lucky goals on mistakes, are we going to discredit that game and no longer consider it a good win by seton?

Lucky goals and mistakes are part of the game, these are high school kids. So if masons goal last night was an own goal by UA would we not count that as a win?

If Anderson gave seton a few lucky goals on mistakes, are we going to discredit that game and no longer consider it a good win by seton?
Context matters! I didn't see the Mason v UA game but, if the only goal scored was an own goal by UA then, I would call Mason's victory an "ugly win" or a "lucky win" since Mason didn't actually score against UA. As for the Seton win against Anderson, even a 3-0 win over Anderson is a "good win" since Anderson is a quality team and any time you beat a quality opponent by three goals is a "good win." Now if Seton defeated Anderson 1-0 then, I would call that a win. I wouldn't call a 1-0 score over Anderson a good win since Seton was the favorite and was supposed to win by several goals. So, context does matter especially when considering how teams score, the amount of time in possession of the ball, the number of shots on goal, whether or not a team was expected to win/lose, etc. If a lower seeded team defeats a higher seeded team then, that would be a "good win" unless they won due to an own goal which would then constitute a "lucky win."

Context matters! I didn't see the Mason v UA game but, if the only goal scored was an own goal by UA then, I would call Mason's victory an "ugly win" or a "lucky win" since Mason didn't actually score against UA. As for the Seton win against Anderson, even a 3-0 win over Anderson is a "good win" since Anderson is a quality team and any time you beat a quality opponent by three goals is a "good win." Now if Seton defeated Anderson 1-0 then, I would call that a win. I wouldn't call a 1-0 score over Anderson a good win since Seton was the favorite and was supposed to win by several goals. So, context does matter especially when considering how teams score, the amount of time in possession of the ball, the number of shots on goal, whether or not a team was expected to win/lose, etc. If a lower seeded team defeats a higher seeded team then, that would be a "good win" unless they won due to an own goal which would then constitute a "lucky win."
CONTEXT matters! And in the CONTEXT of a 1-2 start to the season, down 2-0 early against a perennial state powerhouse, that was a great, much needed, important, HUGE win for Centerville. Not sure how much more time we want to spend debating the correct label for the victory, but I know for certain Centerville doesn't care what we call it. They did what they needed to do to win. Kudos to them.

Pundit, I see your point and appreciate your insight. Though I look at it a few different ways.

In the WJ game, if the Defense and the Keeper made that many mistakes, then either they are not as good as their record/reputation or the pressure from Centerville made good players make bad decisions. Unlike the Mason/UA game this was not a one total goal or one goal win affair. So while those mistakes may have added up, it is more often than not mistakes that create situations that allow scoring. Mistakes created by opposing players putting someone in a situation to make a bad decision. So I still think after reading your context that it was a good win for Centerville. They have not put in 5 goals vs a quality opponent in years and Javier fields good teams and with the level of talent Walsh has it is a good win and hopefully helps Centerville right itself.

The Mason/UA match, it is a big win for the program. Mason has not beaten a high quality opponent in a couple years. And this is the Largest school in the state with the socio economics to be the best program and while nobody wants to say it out loud that's a big part of soccer success. (That and how many high quality club players you have and usually those two go hand in hand.) If the own goal was a keeper or defender trying to clear and it rebounded back in for a goal, that sucks. If it was a shot someone took that glanced off a defender well that is a good hard well placed shot. Regardless Mason has been struggling, UA coming into that game was Maxpreps RPI state #1. And if UA didnt want to lose they should have scored. UA outshot Mason by more than 2:1 but a W is a W. If you have followed any of my rants and ramblings on here you would know I'm not a huge fan of Mason, and I have called out Centerville's lack of scoring for years. Tough result for both UA at home and WJ on the road but they are both in the books.

It is true on the frosh number, 84, at UA this year. New President and principal brought in this summer to right the ship. Another class or two that size, their athletic department could take awhile to recover.
I believe this is actually the second president and principal turnover in a few years as their dwindling enrollment is not new, though this year is an all time low.

I believe this is actually the second president and principal turnover in a few years as their dwindling enrollment is not new, though this year is an all time low.
It is. For me, this topic needs to be in a different thread to further discuss. I want to keep the sports aspect in this thread. Hence, my comment on numbers as it relates to affecting sports.

It is. For me, this topic needs to be in a different thread to further discuss. I want to keep the sports aspect in this thread. Hence, my comment on numbers as it relates to affecting sports.
Totally fine too (not sure UA would want an entire thread started for that discussion though, they know why their numbers are dwindling) but I felt compelled to clarify the 'righting the ship' comment because that isn't a sure bet just yet given this is a second attempt with a new president and principal. As for sports context, I wouldn't attribute their soccer woes to enrollment per se, they have never made it to powerhouse status in soccer partly because of the lack of on site field, they never made good on the promise to build the fields they were showing mock-ups of at open houses 5+ years ago when they said they'd bought the little strip mall that sits in front of their campus where it was supposed to go.

Totally fine too (not sure UA would want an entire thread started for that discussion though, they know why their numbers are dwindling) but I felt compelled to clarify the 'righting the ship' comment because that isn't a sure bet just yet given this is a second attempt with a new president and principal. As for sports context, I wouldn't attribute their soccer woes to enrollment per se, they have never made it to powerhouse status in soccer partly because of the lack of on site field, they never made good on the promise to build the fields they were showing mock-ups of at open houses 5+ years ago when they said they'd bought the little strip mall that sits in front of their campus where it was supposed to go.
I stand by the righting the ship comment. The school is a business—all the privates are. They are adjusting to customers.

Pundit, I see your point and appreciate your insight. Though I look at it a few different ways.

In the WJ game, if the Defense and the Keeper made that many mistakes, then either they are not as good as their record/reputation or the pressure from Centerville made good players make bad decisions. Unlike the Mason/UA game this was not a one total goal or one goal win affair. So while those mistakes may have added up, it is more often than not mistakes that create situations that allow scoring. Mistakes created by opposing players putting someone in a situation to make a bad decision. So I still think after reading your context that it was a good win for Centerville. They have not put in 5 goals vs a quality opponent in years and Javier fields good teams and with the level of talent Walsh has it is a good win and hopefully helps Centerville right itself.

The Mason/UA match, it is a big win for the program. Mason has not beaten a high quality opponent in a couple years. And this is the Largest school in the state with the socio economics to be the best program and while nobody wants to say it out loud that's a big part of soccer success. (That and how many high quality club players you have and usually those two go hand in hand.) If the own goal was a keeper or defender trying to clear and it rebounded back in for a goal, that sucks. If it was a shot someone took that glanced off a defender well that is a good hard well placed shot. Regardless Mason has been struggling, UA coming into that game was Maxpreps RPI state #1. And if UA didnt want to lose they should have scored. UA outshot Mason by more than 2:1 but a W is a W. If you have followed any of my rants and ramblings on here you would know I'm not a huge fan of Mason, and I have called out Centerville's lack of scoring for years. Tough result for both UA at home and WJ on the road but they are both in the books.
Using Max Preps Rankings its just not logical. Cloverleaf (?) is 2. Dayton Carroll is 4. Fairfield Union is 13. Western Brown is 18.

All ranked above power houses in Cleveland, Cincy, Dayton, Columbus.

Just curious on how not having a field would deter soccer players from going to UA - Seton plays at the PAC (Elder's complex) which is about 1 mile from Seton's campus. The program has been on the rise since the '19 season.

I stand by the righting the ship comment. The school is a business—all the privates are. They are adjusting to customers.
The school and faculty are catering (or adjusting) to a much smaller demographic. I know legacy moms and families with older siblings that attended UA, both are sending their younger daughters elsewhere.

Little late to this conversation. Centerville will be just fine. They are always in the mix come the post season and are in each and every game. They have some good talent this year and the loss vs Alter was a simple mistake by the keeper that ended up costing them the game. She's a good keeper, just made a mistake. Like someone said it's being in a position to capitalize on mistakes that's often the difference. Good coach and lots of D1 talent on the Centerville team will keep them in the right direction.

Same can be said for Mason. They (along with Loveland) are always in the late post season talks because they are well coached. Who cares if they play KY teams or not. There are plenty of really bad soccer teams in Cincy that they could schedule and nobody would bat an eye at it. There are maybe 1-3 good teams per conference right now and that's it

I talked to a friend whose daughter plays for Anderson and when I talked to him after the Seton game he said simply "They kicked our a**, They were just a lot better than us". Nice to hear honest answers and I think it solidifies that Seton is the team to beat. But, that said MND should be very good and Milford has a bunch of weapons.

We "waynesville" had a couple games that went our way. Madeira and Ross were both better teams than the score. Ross's Maya Boze though a track athlete first, can play some soccer. She's big and very fast, 2nd at State in the 300 Hurdles. I watched them play Mariemont and knew she could cause us trouble because she closes crazy fast on 2nd touches, connects like 95% of her passes and she can jump. Watching her and Sam battle shoulder to shoulder side by side in a dead sprint for 30 yards fighting for the edge on one of Sam's goals was cool to see, because I'm a fan of her as an athlete. They also have some other talent at Ross. I thought Mariemont stole that game from them, but you gotta put the ball in the net. Madeira has one of the better footskill girls in the area with Anna Cornejo who's on the National Futsal team and plays 07 OE ECNL along side my youngest daughter and Oak Hills's Presley Pennekemp, and they have a speedster of their own with State track athlete Vivian Momper. Madeira was well coached.

CONTEXT matters! And in the CONTEXT of a 1-2 start to the season, down 2-0 early against a perennial state powerhouse, that was a great, much needed, important, HUGE win for Centerville. Not sure how much more time we want to spend debating the correct label for the victory, but I know for certain Centerville doesn't care what we call it. They did what they needed to do to win. Kudos to them.
I agree that it was a much needed win for Centerville. My point is that they easily could’ve lost this game so in that context being 2-2 overall is much better than 1-3 which is why it was an important win for them and from their point of view they probably do consider it to be a huge win. However, from a neutral objective POV and IMHO they were fortunate to win.

Note: Centerville’s forwards are fast and they do place opposing defenders under high pressure which led to one of their goals. However, it had little bearing on three of Walsh’s defensive/goalkeeping blunders which resulted in easy Centerville goals.

Just curious on how not having a field would deter soccer players from going to UA - Seton plays at the PAC (Elder's complex) which is about 1 mile from Seton's campus. The program has been on the rise since the '19 season.
Having an on site home field for a high school student is always going to be preferred for a variety of reasons but particularly when freshman and sophomores can't drive, its just an added hassle. How much it matters will vary but it can certainly factor into the decision. If UA is your dream school in every other way is it going to deter you, no. If you really like other schools too and they have on site fields is it reason to sway you toward them when you have to make a decision, sure. I'm not sure I'd consider Seton to be a true apples to apples comparison though I do understand your point, and that's fair.

The school and faculty are catering (or adjusting) to a much smaller demographic. I know legacy moms and families with older siblings that attended UA, both are sending their younger daughters elsewhere.
That adjustment you are referring to began in 2019. It backfired. They are working their way back to where they should be. Read everything before you comment.

Do you think the folks that promised the fields at UA are the same ones who had/have a hand in the Moe fb stadium? 😉Sorry, too easy.
And I know…announcement coming soon. 😮‍💨

I have watched every Mason game since the beginning of last season. This year's team is much better than last year's, though scoring is still an issue. Mason was outplayed on the day by UA and only created one real chance, which was a nice through ball to the 9 who won a foot race with the CB and beat the keeper 1v1. Still nice to turnaround a 2-1 loss from last season. Mason's strengths are defense with a DI CB and likely DI GK.