2023 Glenville Football

I read on twitter that Hoban currently has 11 kids who hold D1 offers and will have 2-3 more before the start of the season. We all know without a doubt they will out coach Glenville Academy. I dont think it will be close game. My guess Avon beats them by a score also.
They will out-coach Ginn!!!! This is funny. Ginn will have them prepared.

Glenville has been a successful program for years and a state title was a long time coming. Same with Ed's, we were a powerhouse in the 70s and 80s but due to a few factors just had two runners up and I think only made the playoffs 6x despite routinely going at least 8-2 most years. I'm still shocked the '04 Glenville team lost to McKinley after running the table on Ed's and Ignatius, the loss to Davidson I thought stung a lot in '09, with the TD being called back late in the game. All while they've pumped up Ohio State's ranks with a lot of really good Buckeye football players and at one time I think was the high school with the second most NFL players.

I was happy to see them win one and I don't think its a good argument to say that powerhouse public schools aren't good for Northeast Ohio football. I do not think they should be in D4 given the advantages they have in a large district but the way the rules are are the way they are. One thing I think that's lost in the discussion are the other CMSD coaches. I know over the years there have been some outspoken over the open enrollment policy. In the late 2000s there was an article about Cleveland JFK almost making the playoffs and how the coach felt if he had a player from the previous year, who was on Glenville's roster that season. I think the old Rhodes coach also had a lot to say about it too. I think they have a right to ask questions and criticize for sure. But the fact remains, the city wants to talk about positive things with its schools and a football championship translates a lot easier than a lot of other stories.

Success becomes a magnet. Glenville has proven they can get football players to the next level. Now they also can get you a ring. I'd rather see these kids playing football than plenty of other things they can be getting into. And I don't want to take away from the work that they've put in. They've gone toe to toe over the years with the state's best at times. Not a lot of other teams can boast that.
This is what people on this forum fail to realize most times. Public or private, success is always your best recruiter.

Glenville has no more of an advantage than any other open-enrollment school, public or private.

About the other Senate Athletic League schools:
There is nothing stopping any of those schools from doing what Glenville had done. Open-enrollment goes both ways. Rhodes has been pretty good in boys basketball. I'm pretty sure most of their roster doesn't live in Old Brooklyn (Rhodes zone). Okay. But so what? They attract good players who want to be apart of something special. That's no different from Glenville football.

The real problems are poverty and joblessness. They have plagued cities like Cleveland for over 40 years. If anyone wants to know why city schools are always on the bottom, there's your answer. It's hard to have competitive youth sports programs when you have 30% poverty rates and double-digit unemployment rates.

I would prefer Cleveland to have robust, stable neighborhoods similar to what suburban communities have. Look at cities like Seattle, Portland and Vancouver. Their city schools can compete with suburban and private schools on equal terms. Why? Because they have low poverty rates. If Cleveland were like those cities, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.
This is the complex conversation nobody ever wants to have.

I had this conversation with another teacher / coach recently that it would be interesting if like how some large school districts have academic magnet programs if those same districts in a more de facto manner had athletic magnet programs. Like not by design but Glenville became as it has become the football magnet, Rhodes the basketball magnet, etc.... This as was just mentioned already happens to a degree but with open enrollment being what it is these days why try to hide it or conceal it anymore.

If Glenville had open enrollment they wouldn’t have a CB number of ZERO! They all just get addresses!
You get an address you get an address you get an address. Lot of those kids live in suburbs. Not all inner city Cleveland kids

but they are top 5 team in state

Does anyone know the breakdown of how many Glenville players attend Ginn Academy and how many Ginn Academy students reside outside the Cleveland Metropolitan School District? According to the Ohio Department of Education head count for 2022-23, Glenville had about 40 boys in 11th grade and about 30 in 12th grade, while Ginn had 66 in 11th and 65 in 12th.

Does anyone know the breakdown of how many Glenville players attend Ginn Academy and how many Ginn Academy students reside outside the Cleveland Metropolitan School District? According to the Ohio Department of Education head count for 2022-23, Glenville had about 40 boys in 11th grade and about 30 in 12th grade, while Ginn had 66 in 11th and 65 in 12th.
Pretty much if you play football you go to Ginn, not Glenville

Pretty much if you play football you go to Ginn, not Glenville
So if I'm reading the rules right, students from a large swath of southeast Cleveland, southeast Cuyahoga County and beyond can attend Ginn Academy and be eligible for athletics at Glenville.

Latwan Anderson could have been great was the number 6 athlete in nation , committed the U.

but now is doing 7-10 in a government building!
But the old heads at Glenville said he was one of the best. Hopefully he gets out soon and turns it around. He was always pleasant.
Don’t forget about coby Bryant is playing corner for Seattle and his brother Christian Bryant (3 year starting safety at Ohio state) had he not had that horrible ankle break his NFL career would have been a lot longer!
Pierre woods New England patriot Super Bowl winner

Saw this and looked it up. Says that his release/parole date is in 2029.

Insanely talented athlete. Seemed like a nice kid back then. I hate hearing hearing about this.

So if I'm reading the rules right, students from a large swath of southeast Cleveland, southeast Cuyahoga County and beyond can attend Ginn Academy and be eligible for athletics at Glenville.

Yes as long as they have an address in Glenville boarders
But go sleep every night in home
Whatever city or suburb it is.
Comical
But effective
Top 5 team in state any division

Yes as long as they have an address in Glenville boarders
But go sleep every night in home
Whatever city or suburb it is.
Comical
But effective
Top 5 team in state any division
No shenanigans needed if I understand the rules correctly. A student living outside the Cleveland Metropolitan School District can enroll at Ginn Academy and his athletic eligibility is vested at the CMSD school closest to his residence. For southeast Cuyahoga County that would be Glenville.

No shenanigans needed if I understand the rules correctly. A student living outside the Cleveland Metropolitan School District can enroll at Ginn Academy and his athletic eligibility is vested at the CMSD school closest to his residence. For southeast Cuyahoga County that would be Glenville.

Incorrect. His eligibility is vested in the school district in which he resides. Also, Glenville is not the school for those that reside in the southeast zones of the city.

have not been reading much, but can they realistically beat IMG?

Would shock me, but I think Glenville can compete with anyone’s skill players. But I don’t think they have the interior offensive lineman and defensive lineman to stay with IMG for an entire game. Glenville has bigs but no depth to play both sides of ball.
But it would shock me if they won but not if it was a close game, within 10-14 points wouldn’t shock me

I believe you could be correct, but why would city of Cleveland taxpayers pay to educate suburban kids?
Also their is zero chance those kids are eligible to live in suburbs and play for Glenville school.
And then not even count for CB numbers

Scheduling Dinwiddie, IMG, and Hoban, I'm sure they have some depth this year. However, I'm thinking IMG -35 1/2. IMG has at least 22 players that have received Power 5 offers.
I have a strange feeling Glenville keeps it easily under 35 1/2. I honestly believe they have the players to keep it close at halftime. With some rest, amped up emotions I think they stay within two touchdowns the whole game!

Go Glenville! Anyone know if this game will be televised? This is the type of game that is can’t miss HS football. I cannot wait for this game!

What kind of transfers did they get? Last year, Glenville defeated Olentangy Liberty, Avon, and Van Wert on the final play /drive of the game. IMG will bring at least 22 players (top players in Fl class of 24 and 25, 9 of those 22 are in the top 200) with offers from Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio State, Tennessee, Alabama etc. Glenville might be able to remain under that, but it won't be easy.
I understand what IMG brings to the table and well aware of the prestige. I just think they will overlook this game against Glenville. Just have a feeling like “see I told you guys” lol. I may be way off and that’s fine. Maybe my bias for Glenville is showing through. I just think they have some terrific players they can match up nicely with IMG.

They don't match up well, but West vs. Hawkins or Watkins will be entertaining to watch. The Dinwiddie vs Glenville game will be a much better game. Anyway, agree to disagree.
I hear ya. Good luck to Glenville. Any big time games for your team as well?

You can live anywhere in Cleveland or surrounds and attend Ginn Academy. That's true. But if you want to participate in extracurricular activities, you can only play for the school closest to your residence. For example, a Ginn Academy student who lives in Maple Heights can only play for Maple Heights High. A Ginn student who lives in West Park can only play for John Marshall High. A Ginn student who lives in Glenville can only play for Glenville High. And so on.

If I've been following things correctly Glenville brings back more than last years team. That being said IMG might be in for a challenge. Hope so. Would love to see The Ville take them down.

If I've been following things correctly Glenville brings back more than last years team. That being said IMG might be in for a challenge. Hope so. Would love to see The Ville take them down.
IMG will be even more of a tall order than Hoban. They'll both be battle for sure. Good luck to Glenville. These are the kinds of matchups that will prepare you for the playoffs

Last edited:
Yeah putting a d1-d2 size/speed team in d4 doesn't make for a good tournament experience. Not to say they can't be beaten, but it's pretty obvious they're built different than the field.