2023 GCYL League Discussion

Who would that be? The CPS team with The Bengals' coach's kid took them to overtime but the Vols won. Maybe them.

Side note: The coach's wife is the most obnoxious fan I've ever encountered at a youth sporting event.
I heard their son didn't make weight for the game and they threw a fit or something because he was only a couple of lbs over the limit? Any truth to this?

I heard their son didn't make weight for the game and they threw a fit or something because he was only a couple of lbs over the limit? Any truth to this?
I have no idea. He was there during the first half and then she was there for sure in the second yelling and running back and forth along the fence acting like a madwoman. It's cool she's into it, but man. lol

I wonder if they have a younger kid too. There was a St Mary’s parent and coach last year on the freaking bandit level that acted totally insane during the entire game . Never seen anything like it lol
I think they have four kids, so it’s a good bet. His wife is actually Mike Sherman’s daughter. So it’s no wonder she is as into football as she seems. I was telling people she resembled how you might assume the daughter in Remember the Titans would act as a mom at football games.

So they let kids play over the limit? I remember in the 90s stripping down to my underwear every week at early weigh-ins so i could eat something before peewee and varsity games. They didn't care if you were an ounce over back then.

So they let kids play over the limit? I remember in the 90s stripping down to my underwear every week at early weigh-ins so i could eat something before peewee and varsity games. They didn't care if you were an ounce over back then.
They still don't but there are plenty of people who try to even skirt that rule anymore.

The GCYL weight limit is dumb and archaic. At the very least, they ought to let the kids play on the lines.
Really? Maybe I’m ignorant to the reality, but how many kids don’t make it? If two grades are combined you almost HAVE to have a limit, especially at varsity which is puberty vs non puberty.

Really? Maybe I’m ignorant to the reality, but how many kids don’t make it? If two grades are combined you almost HAVE to have a limit, especially at varsity which is puberty vs non puberty.
There are a couple that I know of. One kid didn’t get to play one pound over. Pretty stupid. There are other leagues that put a stripe on their helmet and let them play the lines.

There are a couple that I know of. One kid didn’t get to play one pound over. Pretty stupid. There are other leagues that put a stripe on their helmet and let them play the lines.
Gotcha - but isn’t that when you are over 170 but under 180? Visitation has a kid with an X on his helmet. Maybe the gap should be bigger I don’t know the answer.

Gotcha - but isn’t that when you are over 170 but under 180? Visitation has a kid with an X on his helmet. Maybe the gap should be bigger I don’t know the answer.
Some leagues have no weight limit for the lines. It gets dicey in the middle school ages when you have kids that have hit growth spurt vs those that haven't.

That is correct. If you weigh over 170 up to 180, you are able to play the OL only and wear an X on the helmet notating they're a lineman only player. There are also rules as to how many can play on the OL or DL at a time, in addition to where they can play.

That is correct. If you weigh over 170 up to 180, you are able to play the OL only and wear an X on the helmet notating they're a lineman only player. There are also rules as to how many can play on the OL or DL at a time, in addition to where they can play.
Is this only for varsity?

Varsity. 169.9 to carry the ball. 170-175 to play with an X. Over 175, no play. In the playoffs, you get two extra pounds. In 5/6, the limit to carry is 144.9. It makes the league more inclusive, but the kids at Lakota West and Oak Hills aren’t starving their 8th graders so they can play.

But the weight limit only really comes into play for a handful of kids. Maybe 2-4 per team. And a few kids who don’t play at all across the league
Yeah, but that’s too many. The kid I know on reserve who has to starve himself every week to stay at 140 is souring on football. Hell, I’d have no problem with him lining up against my 100-pound varsity player.

But the weight limit only really comes into play for a handful of kids. Maybe 2-4 per team. And a few kids who don’t play at all across the league
As a parent of a kid who struggled weekly to make weight, we almost had to pull him from the team. It became near eating disorder. Weighing himself daily, worried about every drop of food he was eating, trying to fast the day before weigh in. Complete embarressment when he was 2lbs over and couldnt play.

Yet the second they get to high school, its "eat eat eat" "gain gain gain" "we need to bigger bigger bigger".

Can totally mess with a kids head in a really unhealthy way.

Varsity. 169.9 to carry the ball. 170-175 to play with an X. Over 175, no play. In the playoffs, you get two extra pounds. In 5/6, the limit to carry is 144.9. It makes the league more inclusive, but the kids at Lakota West and Oak Hills aren’t starving their 8th graders so they can play.
Varsity limit is 180. Reserve does not have the X player rule.

As a parent of a kid who struggled weekly to make weight, we almost had to pull him from the team. It became near eating disorder. Weighing himself daily, worried about every drop of food he was eating, trying to fast the day before weigh in. Complete embarressment when he was 2lbs over and couldnt play.

Yet the second they get to high school, its "eat eat eat" "gain gain gain" "we need to bigger bigger bigger".

Can totally mess with a kids head in a really unhealthy way.
Gotta be something else the league can do.

They raised the max weigh for Varsity to 180 a couple years back.

Exactly. It all began several years back with Mikes and obviously a few others have followed suit in recent years.
I recall playing St. Mikes in @2010 while coaching IHM. We opened the season and lost by a point or two in a competitive game. The second time we played that season they appeared to be a completely different team and were shutout losing by 4-5 scores.
Weren’t they called out on that at some point? It’s been awhile, memory fading lol.

I recall playing St. Mikes in @2010 while coaching IHM. We opened the season and lost by a point or two in a competitive game. The second time we played that season they appeared to be a completely different team and were shutout losing by 4-5 scores.
Weren’t they called out on that at some point? It’s been awhile, memory fading lol.
Not exactly roster-related, but a couple years ago, Mike’s left 7-8 kids on the sideline and never let them play when our coaches got all of our kids in during the 4th quarter. So we blew a 6-0 lead and lost in overtime. In the long run, it’s didn’t mean anything, but you see how much some folks value sixth-grade wins.

Last edited:
Opinions vary on it but the weight limit is effective and does work fine. The organization of it on Saturdays has been archaic.
I just disagree. There aren’t any 3-6 graders out there pumping iron to get an edge in pony or reserve football. All we are doing is souring kids on the game and taking a needed activity away from some who need it. There is no reason to not let the heavier kids play the OL and DL. If folks are so worried about what a kid can do to their own child once they cross from 139 to 140, sign them up for something else.

I just disagree. There aren’t any 3-6 graders out there pumping iron to get an edge in pony or reserve football. All we are doing is souring kids on the game and taking a needed activity away from some who need it. There is no reason to not let the heavier kids play the OL and DL. If folks are so worried about what a kid can do to their own child once they cross from 139 to 140, sign them up for something else.
Your comment confirm the statement the GCYL isn't for everyone but great for the majority. The exceptions are less than 2% of the league who have kids who cant play due to the weight limit.

I always hated the weight limit thing. What you are saying is exactly my thoughts as a CYO coach. Let the kids play.

Yeah they would pick up public school kids after their seasons ended because they would start about 3-4 weeks earlier than the gcyl did.