2023 GCYL League Discussion

7/8 grade needs to get rid of the feel good tournaments. You need to win 5 games to be eligible. Then the coaches need to decide if they want in or if they want the season to be over. Take all the teams that won enough games and reseed them based on wins and losses and one tie breaker. It will eliminate having teams in the tournament that already know they are going to lose and it will force borderline teams, like a St Mary’s or All Saints to pick competing or staying at home. 3 or 4 tournaments are fine for the little dudes, but the older kids don’t need to play a first round game of a tourney where they will win 30-0
I don't mind two brackets. Three starts to be overkill, but there are also usually 8-10 fewer teams on the Varsity level than there are the lower levels.

The biggest problem with the seeding and aligning of the tournaments is thay there aren't any set standards before the year starts, or so it seems. Once the number of teams is finalized for the league schedule, you should have a pretty good idea how many brackets you'll need and how many teams per bracket.

I get the one last hurrah. But I would say that almost any kid who playing their last football game as an 8th grader more than likely isn’t taking the field in the last game. And if you do want one more game, call a buddy pariah and play a scrimmage/game. Get some refs, let all the kids play and let the parents/coaches send them off without as much pressure or just another beat down. But as is, this league can’t quite seem to make all the teams happy.
I don't think that part is completely the league's fault.

I think they actually got it right for the most part. D1 and D2 should be fun tournaments. I think SMOY will win pretty handily in D1 though.

The sixth-grade class is the best in the city in football for sure. They haven’t lost since 2020 when they were third-graders and the fourth grade all got Covid in the playoffs.

They also have the best coaching staff in town.
Best in the city or best in the GCYL?

Not sure about football for next year but Antonius and Lourdes are combining for basketball this year. Dominic and OLV doing the same.
Is that really accurate? Those schools always have enough kids to field multiple teams for basketball. So for an 8th grade team you will take the four best players from lourdes and the four best from antonius for the "A'" team and then go down the list for B, C, D type teams?

I'd hate to be the one to have to pick and cut kids for that. A kid could have been playing A level ball since 5th grade and now they combine with another school and now he's on the B or maybe C team?

Is that really accurate? Those schools always have enough kids to field multiple teams for basketball. So for an 8th grade team you will take the four best players from lourdes and the four best from antonius for the "A'" team and then go down the list for B, C, D type teams?

I'd hate to be the one to have to pick and cut kids for that. A kid could have been playing A level ball since 5th grade and now they combine with another school and now he's on the B or maybe C team?
I see your point. But I’ve been told Lourdes only has a few players (2) that could make the team. These situations will become more common it appears. Glad I’m too old and no one asks me to coach anymore.

I see your point. But I’ve been told Lourdes only has a few players (2) that could make the team. These situations will become more common it appears. Glad I’m too old and no one asks me to coach anymore.
Lourdes has plenty for 8th grade and they’ll field their own teams. There will be a bit of a combo at 7th with Martin fielding its own team. Grades 5-6 will be combined for A and the lower levels. St. Al’s, Lourdes and Antoninus will have their own teams Grades 2-4.

Again, Fr. Matt has asked to look at combining the athletics at the parish family. And while he’s doing too much too fast, this is the trial run.

This is about the third bracket I’ve seen. Hopefully this is finally the final one. Heard everything was done and then St Mary’s and All Saints threw a fit about Victory and GA dropping to D2.

This looks like the best scenario to me. Move all club programs (except for Visi) into their own playoff bracket.
Club bracket!

Correct. Junior high school kids do not need a friendship metal.
Yeah, I’m still with you but the 17 teams complicates that a bunch. Since it seems three is necessary, they should have put the top four into one rather than the bottom four. Let CovCath’s club team, Visi and the two DII (lol) unbeaten at SMOY and QOP duke it out. Then distribute the rest.

Seriously, I’d imagine a junior high kid from 2-5 Iggy or 1-6 Antoninus would be a bit embarrassed to sport a DIII “championship” medal.

The league has some challenges next year based on some of the comments I read. Do they consider moving the so called club teams into a division by themselves or potentially break the varsity away completely from the current divisions to align it better?

Also is the volenteers considered a club team or do we look at them different because they are a westside team? If feels like we are. If you remove the schools from Jude they are a D2 school I would assume just like Victory should be.

I think we may be a bit heavy-handed with the club team moniker. I do, however, believe CPS and SMOY being DII is absurd.

I think we may be a bit heavy-handed with the club team moniker. I do, however, believe CPS and SMOY being DII is absurd.
I see that. If you look at the mergers over the years, they were approved by the GCYL I assume so in that case the overall changes positively helped the "club" groups but in the long run could hurt the smaller programs. Mostly do to the number of kids playing I GUESS

The league has some challenges next year based on some of the comments I read. Do they consider moving the so called club teams into a division by themselves or potentially break the varsity away completely from the current divisions to align it better?

Also is the volenteers considered a club team or do we look at them different because they are a westside team? If feels like we are. If you remove the schools from Jude they are a D2 school I would assume just like Victory should be.
When I think of club teams I think of the schools that load up their rosters on the varsity level with new kids that attend public schools and/or are repeating 8th grade after attending public for 8 years and switching to private for a 9th year of grade school. Jude doesn’t qualify under that IMO. James is the only west side program that does.

Only Visitation competes at the highest level with the boys in its own parish.

Any team that assembles the best talent from a combination of schools is a club team.

May not be a traditional "club" like with soccer or baseball, but it's still combining the best football players across multiple parishes.

If that is the direction the league must move in order for the sport to survive on this side of town, I am all for it.

Last edited:
Interesting you would say you don’t think you should call them club teams. Based on previous statements I wonder if you will change your mind if or when the volunteers 6th grade gets beat by a team that has 5 new starters that were never in the league before
Who would that be? The CPS team with The Bengals' coach's kid took them to overtime but the Vols won. Maybe them.

Side note: The coach's wife is the most obnoxious fan I've ever encountered at a youth sporting event.

Only Visitation competes at the highest level with the boys in its own parish.

Any team that assembles the best talent from a combination of schools is a club team.

May not be a traditional "club" like with soccer or baseball, but it's still combining the best football players across multiple parishes.

If that is the direction the league must move in order for the sport to survive on this side of town, I am all for it.
GA and IHM strive to do the same as Visitation with mixed results depending on the age group.

Who knows who it will be, the current 8th graders at Visi when they were the older class did not have a game that was within 2 TD until this year when SMOY picked up new players from Loveland and Mason that had never played for them in the past or Covecath who picked up some new players even though they are already all of northern ky. Or James who did the same and I’m not even sure how many schools make up that team.

GA and IHM strive to do the same as Visitation with mixed results depending on the age group.
Visi has mixed results at each level as well. Long gone are the days of 50 boys in each grade.

The current enrollment is down by 25% but they started a kindergarten program. Only time will tell if that helps. The reality is what every parish has faced on this side of town, not as many new developments and younger families moving in compared to previous decades.

Last edited:
Who knows who it will be, the current 8th graders at Visi when they were the older class did not have a game that was within 2 TD until this year when SMOY picked up new players from Loveland and Mason that had never played for them in the past or Covecath who picked up some new players even though they are already all of northern ky. Or James who did the same and I’m not even sure how many schools make up that team.
That's fair. Last year the CovCath all-sixth-grade club team went 0-2 against the current Vols 6th and 7th but they were the closest games. I'm sure next year will present some challenges if this current set up survives.

When I think of club teams I think of the schools that load up their rosters on the varsity level with new kids that attend public schools and/or are repeating 8th grade after attending public for 8 years and switching to private for a 9th year of grade school. Jude doesn’t qualify under that IMO. James is the only west side program that does.
You mean like SMOY? And in previous seasons Mikes.

Yeah, I’m still with you but the 17 teams complicates that a bunch. Since it seems three is necessary, they should have put the top four into one rather than the bottom four. Let CovCath’s club team, Visi and the two DII (lol) unbeaten at SMOY and QOP duke it out. Then distribute the rest.

Seriously, I’d imagine a junior high kid from 2-5 Iggy or 1-6 Antoninus would be a bit embarrassed to sport a DIII “championship” medal.
I don’t think kids care. They just want to play.