2023 Football

He got hurt late in the 2nd quarter. On the stream, they replayed it and thankfully his foot wasn’t planted in the ground. He took a hit on the knee while his leg was in the air. Don’t even know if it was the knee. He was grabbing behind his calf initially. It seems like he’s had problems in that area throughout the year. I’ve seen the trainers work on that area in different games….thought it was cramping. Yesterday, he got up pretty quickly but wasn’t putting any weight on it. The announcers said he never came back out to the the sidelines.
Hopefully, it was nothing serious.

He got hurt late in the 2nd quarter. On the stream, they replayed it and thankfully his foot wasn’t planted in the ground. He took a hit on the knee while his leg was in the air. Don’t even know if it was the knee. He was grabbing behind his calf initially. It seems like he’s had problems in that area throughout the year. I’ve seen the trainers work on that area in different games….thought it was cramping. Yesterday, he got up pretty quickly but wasn’t putting any weight on it. The announcers said he never came back out to the the sidelines.
Hopefully, it was nothing serious.

Apparently reaggravated his ankle injury he's had all season long. Glad it isn't a knee. Hopefully he can return early in the playoffs??

Apparently reaggravated his ankle injury he's had all season long. Glad it isn't a knee. Hopefully he can return early in the playoffs??

Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully, a couple weeks of rest will let him heal. I hate looking ahead, but I think they can get through the next few weeks without him. There’s not a lot of depth there. I haven’t seen them play a lot, but the freshman Rice brother has looked good when I have seen them play. Yesterday, the Ed’s commentators said he doesn’t look like a typical freshman running back. He looked good early yesterday and then they got pass happy. If Marshall is out for some time, I wonder if they’d let him get some varsity experience??

Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully, a couple weeks of rest will let him heal. I hate looking ahead, but I think they can get through the next few weeks without him. There’s not a lot of depth there. I haven’t seen them play a lot, but the freshman Rice brother has looked good when I have seen them play. Yesterday, the Ed’s commentators said he doesn’t look like a typical freshman running back. He looked good early yesterday and then they got pass happy. If Marshall is out for some time, I wonder if they’d let him get some varsity experience??

Yes, The frosh Rice is going to be a really good H.S. RB. Great size and speed. Not sure he is ready for Varsity reps, but look for him to definitely be in the RB mix for next season.

They have not moved any freshman up during the regular season- it’s a really solid class and they seemed intent on keeping them together this season. Now that post season prep is underway and freshman season is in last week they have asked a few guys to come to varsity practices and also are eliminating some JV guys from practice/traveling squad.

Does anyone know if playing Friday night at MSJ is even possible? Is there an NCAA rule that prohibits OHSAA playoff games at college stadiums? Or vice versa?

Did Marshall play last night?

Will he be 100% going into the playoffs? Or at least the second week when they'll really need him.

Did Marshall play last night?

Will he be 100% going into the playoffs? Or at least the second week when they'll really need him.

Don’t know his status but he did not play last night. If they win against Clermont, who would they play the winner of?

I've seen West Clermont twice this year, in their opener against Olentangy Orange and Turpin. They are a running team with a big O-line. On defense they are susceptible to the pass. But if you stop their running game it should be an easy win because they are not very good throwing the ball. Henry made a wise choice leaving there and going to Withrow.

I've seen West Clermont twice this year, in their opener against Olentangy Orange and Turpin. They are a running team with a big O-line. On defense they are susceptible to the pass. But if you stop their running game it should be an easy win because they are not very good throwing the ball. Henry made a wise choice leaving there and going to Withrow.
Are we talking WC run game as good as East Central or St Ed?

A big congratulations to the players honored yesterday with the release of the All-GCL teams.

GCL Co-Player of the Year: Jordan Marshall, RB (Sr.)

Coach of the Year: Bert Bathiany

Back of the Year: Marshall

TE of the Year: Eli Jacon Duffy, TE (Sr.)

LB of the Year: Kyler Paul, LB (Sr.)

DB of the Year: Drew Robinson, Nickel (Sr.)

K of the Year: Devin Orr, K (Sr.)

P of the Year: Ethan Page, P (Sr.)

1st Team GCL:
Marshall
Duffy
Paul
Robinson
Matt Ponatoski, QB (Soph.)
Jovan Love, WR (Jr.)
Roman Mason, WR (Jr.)
Jewett Hayes, DE (Sr.)
Thomas Gerke, DT (Jr.)
Alex French, LB (Sr.)
Karson Hobbs, CB (Sr.)
Micah Rice, S (Jr.)

2nd Team GCL:

Preston Smith, WR (Sr.)
Mateo Armenta, G (Jr.)

*second

2nd Team GCL:
Titus Land, OG/OC (Jr.)
Marty Adkins, OT (Jr.)
Christian Harris, DE (Soph.)
Lucas Stuerenberg, DT (Jr.)
Connor Cuozzo, LB (Soph.)
Nick Leonard, CB (Sr.)

This was far and away the most players honored on a single team, as well as the most underclassmen on a single team, which bodes very well for the future. GBM!

*second

2nd Team GCL:
Titus Land, OG/OC (Jr.)
Marty Adkins, OT (Jr.)
Christian Harris, DE (Soph.)
Lucas Stuerenberg, DT (Jr.)
Connor Cuozzo, LB (Soph.)
Nick Leonard, CB (Sr.)

This was far and away the most players honored on a single team, as well as the most underclassmen on a single team, which bodes very well for the future. GBM!
Not to burst bubble, but typically that is how it goes as far # of players honored- if you win GCL you get the most selections. Just historically that is how it has been done for at least a decade- many conferences do the same. Have seen kids get left off all conference teams that likely deserved it more than others at that position, but their team didn’t win GCL. Basically the coaches chose their own players they feel deserve the spots- player of the year is still a vote as are position players (though even that is influenced by final standings). Coach of the year goes to the conference winner (at least in most recent years).

For less subjective sports like swimming,XC, track etc all conference is based more on standings at the conference meet; golf/tennis/wrestling etc based mostly on points/ scores accumulated through the season GCL matches plus conference champs. But for basketball, football, soccer, volleyball, baseball, etc the # of selections is based on your finish in the conference then coaches picks with some “voting”.

To your point about underclassmen though-I agree that is encouraging, but not shocking as Bathiany said from the outset he would favor playing youth unless a senior was markedly better at the position!

Last edited:
To your point about underclassmen though-I agree that is encouraging, but not shocking as Bathiany said from the outset he would favor playing youth unless a senior was markedly better at the position!
Not what he actually said though. More like the best player will get on the field (wether markedly or marginally was not stated). Underclassmen would be favored if they were deemed equal with the expectation the Underclassmen have more development potential.

Not what he actually said though. More like the best player will get on the field (wether markedly or marginally was not stated). Underclassmen would be favored if they were deemed equal with the expectation the Underclassmen have more development potential.
Close enough to get the gist- heard him speak to this multiple times and each was slightly different wording. Markedly means “noticeably” so I think it fits when saying a senior had to be better to earn the starting job for the position. If it’s a tie- goes to developing player. I know many people bristled at this- I think it’s a smart strategy especially for a new coach. Puts the kids on notice that they better work and not rest on laurels

Gutty performance by our Crusaders last night. They found a way to overcome some bonehead mistakes and still secure a "W". There is still a lot to clean up on both offense and defense. I hope injured players #1 and #5 can make speedy recoveries. Prayers to both these young men and their families. 🙏 GBM 💪🏈

Anyone hearing anything about venue for this week? I hope they don't send us back to Middletown this year. GBM!

Anyone hearing anything about venue for this week? I hope they don't send us back to Middletown this year. GBM!
I would love to play at LE or LW but I am afraid West Chester Officials would shoot it down. They won't stand for Big Moe in their territory. Maybe Princeton? Barnitz is a dump in and around the stadium. I am with you. GBM 💪 🏈