2023 College Football Playoff

I'm weighing in on the side of "FSU got screwed". Is Alabama the better team? Yes, they could win it all. But FSU got screwed. I feel bad for those kids and coaches.

For years the committee said:
- "Win all your games" -- FSU did that
- "Be a power 5 conference champ" -- FSU did that
- "Schedule some tough out of conference games" -- FSU beat LSU and Florida, both in the SEC

So I guess the message from the committee is that all that was just BS, and breaking rules is OK too. Screw the committee. At the end of the day, the committee was owned by ESPN and their priority for a better TV matchup.

I’ve been on the record for awhile as saying the first-round byes need to go to the four best teams, not necessarily conference champions. Think about Saturday. If Louisville or Iowa or Oklahoma State had pulled off an upset, would any college football fan have been convinced or satisfied that any of that group was now a Top 4 team worthy of a first-round bye? Hell no.
NO!!!

We do not need judges deciding who the best teams are with eye tests. We already see how flawed that process is. Make the games matter. Conference champs get the byes. Period.

I'm weighing in on the side of "FSU got screwed". Is Alabama the better team? Yes, they could win it all. But FSU got screwed. I feel bad for those kids and coaches.

For years the committee said:
- "Win all your games" -- FSU did that
- "Be a power 5 conference champ" -- FSU did that
- "Schedule some tough out of conference games" -- FSU beat LSU and Florida, both in the SEC

So I guess the message from the committee is that all that was just BS, and breaking rules is OK too. Screw the committee. At the end of the day, the committee was owned by ESPN and their priority for a better TV matchup.
If the NCAA had a pair, Micheaters wouldn't be in the position to play for a National Championship.

NO!!!

We do not need judges deciding who the best teams are with eye tests. We already see how flawed that process is. Make the games matter. Conference champs get the byes. Period.
And if Notre Dame runs the table and is the number 1 ranked team at the end of the year, no bye for them? If the Pac incorporates the Mountain West and continues to claim they are still the Pac, are they still a power conference? Who are the bell cow teams going forward in the Big 12? If their conference champion couldn't finish in the top 4 of the Sec, ACC or Big they should still get a bye? There should be no automatic byes. Everyone should play their way in.

The Pac is gone and with Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12, should the Big 12 even be considered as a power conference? The Big 12 league champion? Texas, who is going to the Play-offs with a victory over Alabama and one loss on their resume. Who was that loss to? Oklahoma of course. The only two teams with national recognition in the Big 12 and they are leaving.
It won't be that way for long. The big and sec already relegated FSU to being a non power team as long as they are in the acc . It's only a matter of time until the big and sec get like 10 spots. Hopefully it means the acc crumbles and Fsu is part of it from my standpoint

#BringBacktheBCS

For a decade, across likely 3-4 usernames, I’ve argued the playoffs is the way but the BCS should have been kept around for seeding and ranking purposes. They were so close to the perfect system.

NO!!!

The system of first-round byes based on conference championships will soon be a farce if not immediately.

As of next year, we’re already down to 4 power conferences, and it’s VERY arguable whether one of those four, the New Big 12, is truly a power conference. The New Big 12 as presently structured is just the unwanted leftovers from the old Big Eight and Southwest Conferences, along with the Pac 12’s leftovers and some other former mid-major scraps. It’s very much a mongrel collection of mediocrity. It’s likely to never or very rarely produce a Top 4-worthy candidate.

Then there’s also the reality that independents literally cannot earn a first-round bye. Obviously this primarily affects Notre Dame at the moment, but with all the movement, there might well be some additional formidable independents in the not-too-distant future. A system where certain teams automatically have to play an extra round no matter how elite they might be is the definition of unequal.

Lastly there’s the reality that the modern CFB “conference” is no longer anything more than a media-rights collective bargaining unit. And those collectives are oft-changing. History has been cast aside. Loyalty has been cast aside. Geography/sectionalism has been cast aside. Letting the champion of a consistently changing entity get a consistent defined benefit doesn’t make sense to me.

It won't be that way for long. The big and sec already relegated FSU to being a non power team as long as they are in the acc . It's only a matter of time until the big and sec get like 10 spots. Hopefully it means the acc crumbles and Fsu is part of it from my standpoint

I do wonder if this has any lingering effects that when they day comes FSU chooses Big 10 over the SEC because of this major slight in the past.

That it might be good for the SEC now but actually hurt them in the long run that the FSU hate for them is so great they join the Big 10 instead.

They've also been stomped plenty of times. Don't need lectures from the OSU crowd saying FSU should be left out because of a projection on future results. You guys got in and stomped plenty of times.

Out of 7 playoff games, Ohio State has only been "stomped" in 2. 🤷‍♂️ Not sure that is plenty of times.

But I do agree with you that FSU got completely screwed this year.

I do wonder if this has any lingering effects that when they day comes FSU chooses Big 10 over the SEC because of this major slight in the past.

That it might be good for the SEC now but actually hurt them in the long run that the FSU hate for them is so great they join the Big 10 instead.
I'd say most of the fanbase is now on the B1G train after the sec and ESPN orchestrated this screwjob. It was split before and since I watch baseball I wanted the sec. Now give me the B1G with a southern wing

ND second rate = goldentornado mental midget.
Ohio State's win at Notre Dame, last minute turned out to be not as good of win as many thought earlier this year. Season in total, Ohio State had two semi good wins with ND and Penn State. After that it was stat padding with the big ten teams, mostly bad ones.

I feel awful for FSU, they did all they could be asked to do this season, and it wasn't good enough. I agree with the committee. FSU, based off the last couple of games after Travis got hurt, simply can't play with these top teams. It's unfortunate. Alabama forced the committee's hand by knocking off Georgia. You can't have a playoff without a team from the best conference in college football, and you could make a case that Georgia should stay in. But all in all, I'm not mad about the 4 teams.

Not this exact convo. At least not for now. Right now the top 5 conference champs get in for 2024. No screwjob like this

I'm sure the sec and big will chip away at that over the years.

The system of first-round byes based on conference championships will soon be a farce if not immediately.

As of next year, we’re already down to 4 power conferences, and it’s VERY arguable whether one of those four, the New Big 12, is truly a power conference. The New Big 12 as presently structured is just the unwanted leftovers from the old Big Eight and Southwest Conferences, along with the Pac 12’s leftovers and some other former mid-major scraps. It’s very much a mongrel collection of mediocrity. It’s likely to never or very rarely produce a Top 4-worthy candidate.

Then there’s also the reality that independents literally cannot earn a first-round bye. Obviously this primarily affects Notre Dame at the moment, but with all the movement, there might well be some additional formidable independents in the not-too-distant future. A system where certain teams automatically have to play an extra round no matter how elite they might be is the definition of unequal.

Lastly there’s the reality that the modern CFB “conference” is no longer anything more than a media-rights collective bargaining unit. And those collectives are oft-changing. History has been cast aside. Loyalty has been cast aside. Geography/sectionalism has been cast aside. Letting the champion of a consistently changing entity get a consistent defined benefit doesn’t make sense to me.
That's fair, given the changing conference landscape, and the mention above about the independent ND. I'm just sick of the subjective judgment call approach with no measurable criteria.

The games being played have to matter. The FSU screw job feels like the East German Olympic judges screwing over the American gymnasts and ice skaters back in the day. Maybe we go back to a computerized algorithm.

Clemson never had trouble making the playoff from the ACC. FSU got left out because they don’t have a good enough QB anymore, not because they’re from the ACC.

Clemson never had trouble making the playoff from the ACC. FSU got left out because they don’t have a good enough QB anymore, not because they’re from the ACC.
That is because the sec was already in for all the years Clemson got in. And it wasn't the last year before it expanded either. I know you don't see the corruption because you gobble on the SEC balls, but it's clear as day

Ohio State's win at Notre Dame, last minute turned out to be not as good of win as many thought earlier this year. Season in total, Ohio State had two semi good wins with ND and Penn State. After that it was stat padding with the big ten teams, mostly bad ones.
You do realize that Notre Dame has a Top 10 power rating by virtually any reputable source, right? Winning at night at ND was easily OSU’s most impressive win of the season, and probably only falls below these in terms of most impressive wins of the year:

Bama over UGA (neutral)
Washington over Oregon twice (home and neutral)
Texas over Bama (road)
Oklahoma over Texas (neutral)
Michigan over Ohio State (home)

So I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to say Ohio State winning at Notre Dame was the second biggest road win all season of anyone in America.

Will we be having the same discussions about 11/12 and 13/14 ranked teams next year?
Given the committee’s bizarre rankings of certain teams in that vicinity this year, I can guarantee there will be issues with #10, 11 and 12 next year. And it will be exacerbated because one of the spots will pointlessly go to a vastly outgunned Group of 5 champion.

Given the committee’s bizarre rankings of certain teams in that vicinity this year, I can guarantee there will be issues with #10, 11 and 12 next year. And it will be exacerbated because one of the spots will pointlessly go to a vastly outgunned Group of 5 champion.
There have been a few very good Group of 5 teams that perhaps led to this rule, but I agree it needs revisted. Liberty, good lord

That is because the sec was already in for all the years Clemson got in. And it wasn't the last year before it expanded either. I know you don't see the corruption because you gobble on the SEC balls, but it's clear as day
Let me point out a couple of things:

1. If Jordan Travis hadn’t gotten hurt, I truly believe FSU would have finished #3. Once Georgia lost, there would have been no justification to put an SEC team above FSU.

2. ESPN doesn’t just have rights to the SEC; they also have rights to the ACC. Yes, the SEC is a better brand, but there is no way ESPN wants to purposefully screw over the ACC. I also believe that ESPN’s influence over rankings is overstated. Why? Because …

3. The makeup of this committee virtually guarantees there is no pro-SEC or anti-ACC bias. The sitting chairman, Boo Corrigan, is the AD at ACC member school NC State. Why would he go along with a rigged SEC dog-and-pony show to screw over one of his conference’s schools, possibly endangering his own school’s athletics security? NC State isn’t exactly a blue-chipper that the SEC or B1G would hands-down bring in. Former Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe is also on the committee. I have read that when you fully review the resume of all 13 members, five have an ACC tie at some point in their history; only two have an SEC tie, including current UK AD Mitch Barnhart.

There have been a few very good Group of 5 teams that perhaps led to this rule, but I agree it needs revisted. Liberty, good lord
Yes, agreed. Most of the truly dangerous Group of Five schools have been absorbed or will be absorbed into power conferences.

You do realize that Notre Dame has a Top 10 power rating by virtually any reputable source, right? Winning at night at ND was easily OSU’s most impressive win of the season, and probably only falls below these in terms of most impressive wins of the year:

Bama over UGA (neutral)
Washington over Oregon twice (home and neutral)
Texas over Bama (road)
Oklahoma over Texas (neutral)
Michigan over Ohio State (home)

So I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to say Ohio State winning at Notre Dame was the second biggest road win all season of anyone in America.
Are these true Power rankings or just rankings because Notre Dame is Notre Dame? I mean we get this every single year. Notre Dame is going to be great. And then we see the product. They lost to the worst Clemson team in a decade. Louisville who we just saw lost to an FSU team with no offense beat ND. At some point we have to use our eyes. These rankings are put out by people with interests in these teams.

Let me point out a couple of things:

1. If Jordan Travis hadn’t gotten hurt, I truly believe FSU would have finished #3. Once Georgia lost, there would have been no justification to put an SEC team above FSU.

2. ESPN doesn’t just have rights to the SEC; they also have rights to the ACC. Yes, the SEC is a better brand, but there is no way ESPN wants to purposefully screw over the ACC. I also believe that ESPN’s influence over rankings is overstated. Why? Because …

3. The makeup of this committee virtually guarantees there is no pro-SEC or anti-ACC bias. The sitting chairman, Boo Corrigan, is the AD at ACC member school NC State. Why would he go along with a rigged SEC dog-and-pony show to screw over one of his conference’s schools, possibly endangering his own school’s athletics security? NC State isn’t exactly a blue-chipper that the SEC or B1G would hands-down bring in. Former Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe is also on the committee. I have read that when you fully review the resume of all 13 members, five have an ACC tie at some point in their history; only two have an SEC tie, including current UK AD Mitch Barnhart.
ESPN does have the rights to the acc. They treat the acc like the red headed step child. The fact that you don't know that , makes any further conversation moot. You don't know the topic or situation

Are these true Power rankings or just rankings because Notre Dame is Notre Dame? I mean we get this every single year. Notre Dame is going to be great. And then we see the product. They lost to the worst Clemson team in a decade. Louisville who we just saw lost to an FSU team with no offense beat ND. At some point we have to use our eyes. These rankings are put out by people with interests in these teams.
Louisville didn't just beat Notre Dame. They destroyed Notre Dame

And if Notre Dame was a good win on the road. ...then Clemson on the road was good for FSU. Clemson beat ND too

Penn State and ND types are ranked highly based on rep from when current grandpa's were in their prime. They are both non factors most of the time now