2023 Benedictine Football

What I do know is Mayfield is not worried about losing kids to Benedictine nowadays. I can think of kids in Gates Mills right across the street from Hawken that are more apt to go to Hawken. Point being a private can play at Mayfield..so theorize if you must that they do not. Mayfield is really not worried. If you look, more kids from Geauga county end up on that Benny roster, not just the CYO kids either judging by their QB.
They have a better chance playing at Benedictine than Mayfield High School, no offense but fact. I wouldn’t dismiss idea of losing kids from there. They already have. 🧐🧐🧐

The Bennies have a chance of getting to ,500 next week. SVSM got absolutely peeled by VASJ Friday night to drop their 4th in a row.

The Bennies have a chance of getting to ,500 next week. SVSM got absolutely peeled by VASJ Friday night to drop their 4th in a row.
I see this game @ SVSM as a potentially big one for Benny for the future development of the program. SVSM is probably favored in this one, even if Luke Reed is available, but a W really means a lot on a couple different levels. One is that is takes them to .500 a huge accomplishment coming off of a o-fer season, but it also could move them up to a more manageable opponent in the 1st round of the playoffs. There is a huge difference between 4-6 and a running clock game against Hoban or 5-5 with a game at say a Shaker or Barberton.

Either way this year is probably seen as a positive season and the stability of the staff is a solid development but a successful Freshmen team, a .500 mark and a competitive playoff game would mean the program is trending up in a nice direction.

I see this game @ SVSM as a potentially big one for Benny for the future development of the program. SVSM is probably favored in this one, even if Luke Reed is available, but a W really means a lot on a couple different levels. One is that is takes them to .500 a huge accomplishment coming off of a o-fer season, but it also could move them up to a more manageable opponent in the 1st round of the playoffs. There is a huge difference between 4-6 and a running clock game against Hoban or 5-5 with a game at say a Shaker or Barberton.

Either way this year is probably seen as a positive season and the stability of the staff is a solid development but a successful Freshmen team, a .500 mark and a competitive playoff game would mean the program is trending up in a nice direction.
Totally agree. Don't think Benny will play Hoban even with a loss. Hudson or Riverside most likely.

It is nice to see Benedictine on the way back.

Good job in taking care of business last week! SVSM hasn't been the same since being humiliated a few weeks back. I guess tossing Hoban off the schedule didn't help after all.

Bene by 7.
Did I miss a game, benny played Hoban this year?

No - they were humiliated by Walsh. The Hoban reference was that they got rid of Hoban to not be humiliated, but got run off the field anyway.
Walsh was humiliated by Hoban, so God knows what they’d do to STV

49ers practiced at Benny this past weekend:

1697546883690.png

If I’m not mistaken this freshman team has the most wins in 4 years. Since the 2019 team with Iliano and Jackson

As it stands. If Benedictine wins out, the team can finish no higher than the 13 seed. That would have them playing the 4 seed. That will be a tough test no matter who it is. But finishing out the season beating a tough SVSM team would be a great shot in the arm. Good Luck this Friday!

With this years edition of the Bengals having "earned" a playoff spot with a 4-6 record, it led me to think of some real good Bengal teams that didn't qualify do to the limited amount of playoff teams back then. Since the playoffs started in 1972, I think the following 4 teams may have done some damage, had they made it in. 1975[8-2], 1979[7-1-1], 1992[8-1]-only loss by 2pts. The next year, Benny easily qualified at 6-4. And 1995[8-2]. I know every school probably has a list like this. Its just to bad these teams didn't play by the current set-up.

With this years edition of the Bengals having "earned" a playoff spot with a 4-6 record, it led me to think of some real good Bengal teams that didn't qualify do to the limited amount of playoff teams back then. Since the playoffs started in 1972, I think the following 4 teams may have done some damage, had they made it in. 1975[8-2], 1979[7-1-1], 1992[8-1]-only loss by 2pts. The next year, Benny easily qualified at 6-4. And 1995[8-2]. I know every school probably has a list like this. Its just to bad these teams didn't play by the current set-up.
Reasonable position to take!

That '92 team is probably the hardest one to stomach but that '79 team was ripped off. The CLE pubs were on strike in '79 so they lost a scheduled game against a decent Div I John Marshall, I thought it was actually 2 games that were cancelled but I forget, and back then they didn't average the Harbin points so they lost a full opponents Harbin points. it was also the last year of only the 3 Divisions and only 1 per Region qualifying. Senior laden team too with a great OL and QB; Kevin Richardson gained a tOSU scholarship offer that season. Won state titles the next two years, could have been 3 in a row. Now they did lose focus in that tie against Holy Name which probably cost them any chance.

That '92 team is probably the hardest one to stomach but that '79 team was ripped off. The CLE pubs were on strike in '79 so they lost a scheduled game against a decent Div I John Marshall, I thought it was actually 2 games that were cancelled but I forget, and back then they didn't average the Harbin points so they lost a full opponents Harbin points. it was also the last year of only the 3 Divisions and only 1 per Region qualifying. Senior laden team too with a great OL and QB; Kevin Richardson gained a tOSU scholarship offer that season. Won state titles the next two years, could have been 3 in a row. Now they did lose focus in that tie against Holy Name which probably cost them any chance.
They played John Marshall in 79. What hurt that team was Latin closing before the season. They were always the 10th game. Bennie couldn't find a replacement,and had a open date.

Any insights on Hudson?

No common opponents. Closest is that they played Twinsburg, who played Brush.

Not that this has any bearing on the actual game but it’s a fun exercise:

Benedictine 42 Brush 20
Twinsburg 42 Brush 7
Hudson 30 Twinsburg 21

Assumedly we are the underdogs, and assumedly Hudson will out-depth us, though our guys will play with a lot of heart. We shall see #GoBengals

Any insights on Hudson?

No common opponents. Closest is that they played Twinsburg, who played Brush.

Not that this has any bearing on the actual game but it’s a fun exercise:

Benedictine 42 Brush 20
Twinsburg 42 Brush 7
Hudson 30 Twinsburg 21

Assumedly we are the underdogs, and assumedly Hudson will out-depth us, though our guys will play with a lot of heart. We shall see #GoBengals
I think they will play their butts off. From what I’ve seen they have competed in most games. Wish them the best on Friday. Go Bengals!

Hudson -28
My guy has this a little lower, so I will take the Bengals +28 :) Hudson has not been scoring as much lately after really racking up the points out of the gate. Not sure if there is a key injury or just playing it safe. Nonetheless they should be able to wear down Benny with their depth.

Any update on the injury report for Benny?