2023 Benedictine Football

What’s happened to this thread? Benedictine is likely in the playoffs according to Drew Pasteur with only 18 teams legitimately vying for the 16 seed playoff teams according to him as well! Not saying they should be heaped with praise but expected a little conversation about the bengals here!

What’s happened to this thread? Benedictine is likely in the playoffs according to Drew Pasteur with only 18 teams legitimately vying for the 16 seed playoff teams according to him as well! Not saying they should be heaped with praise but expected a little conversation about the bengals here!
Wasn't happy with the coaching hire, but I have to say, I think he's done a good job so far. Don't think anyone else could do better with the current talent we have. We already have one more win than I thought, with a chance to get at least one more. The kids have competed every game. Most are young,inexperienced,and undersized. Next year,if all stay,should see improvement. If all the transfers had stayed, we may have had a 6-7 win team.

Wasn't happy with the coaching hire, but I have to say, I think he's done a good job so far. Don't think anyone else could do better with the current talent we have. We already have one more win than I thought, with a chance to get at least one more. The kids have competed every game. Most are young,inexperienced,and undersized. Next year,if all stay,should see improvement. If all the transfers had stayed, we may have had a 6-7 win team.
I agree. Definitely looking at 6-7 wins if those kids do not leave. Obviously they weren’t true men of Benedictine. So good riddance.

Bedford wants too many $s for the type of crowds the Bengals are drawing these days. Brooklyn is another option but they are also having issues with crowd control for evening games. JCU could have been an option but the local Orthodox community lobbied and got them to limit the evening games on Fridays so that probably will not work either. Shaker would be perfect but they have no interest in allowing Benny the right to use their field.

I say add some more stands to Bossu field and play some Saturday day games each season there for the next couple year or so. Doesn't have to be fancy and you can always allow standing room along the south end zone if more than expected show up. The school saves $s and gets folks on the rebooted campus.

Bedford wants too many $s for the type of crowds the Bengals are drawing these days. Brooklyn is another option but they are also having issues with crowd control for evening games. JCU could have been an option but the local Orthodox community lobbied and got them to limit the evening games on Fridays so that probably will not work either. Shaker would be perfect but they have no interest in allowing Benny the right to use their field.

I say add some more stands to Bossu field and play some Saturday day games each season there for the next couple year or so. Doesn't have to be fancy and you can always allow standing room along the south end zone if more than expected show up. The school saves $s and gets folks on the rebooted campus.
What about Mayfield?

Field a quality team, schedule quality opponents,the fans will come out. What a concept ,huh? When we played Hoban the last game of 2015,when both teams were 9-0,you couldn't find a seat in Bedford stadium. We also had a real nice crowd for the playoff game with Brecksville a few years back,when they had the Iowa recruit at QB. My point is Bedford was fine for many years. When we have a contending team, our fans come out.

Benedictine will have to make a move. Parents do not want to learn that home games are played at Euclid. Does that sound attractive while out meeting with parents while recruiting? No, it does not.

Benedictine will have to make a move. Parents do not want to learn that home games are played at Euclid. Does that sound attractive while out meeting with parents while recruiting? No, it does not.
I could see a move away from Euclid happening, maybe time to look at Cleveland Heights again. Their AD is a good dude that belongs to Gesu so he might be open. School District on the other hand is highly antagonistic to private schools as they really are peeling off a lot a students out of the District, in fact their teacher union is suing the state over the ed-choice program. But as the great D'Angelo Barksdale said money be green and any public district should not turn away a cash infusion.

I could see a move away from Euclid happening, maybe time to look at Cleveland Heights again. Their AD is a good dude that belongs to Gesu so he might be open. School District on the other hand is highly antagonistic to private schools as they really are peeling off a lot a students out of the District, in fact their teacher union is suing the state over the ed-choice program. But as the great D'Angelo Barksdale said money be green and any public district should not turn away a cash infusion.
NO to Cleveland Hts. Might as well stay at Euclid.

NO to Cleveland Hts. Might as well stay at Euclid.
But you like Bedford? That area has transitioned into a blighted old retail hub with empty strip centers and massive car dealers along Rockside Rd. At least Heights has a vibrant Lee Rd that offers a place to meet before or after the game.

But you like Bedford? That area has transitioned into a blighted old retail hub with empty strip centers and massive car dealers along Rockside Rd. At least Heights has a vibrant Lee Rd that offers a place to meet before or after the game.
We were at Bedford for 25 years,and don't recall ever having a problem.

We were at Bedford for 25 years,and don't recall ever having a problem.
It has changed. When Benny started there it had a vibrant retail area that is now sitting empty, there is a reason why Wal Mart & Target have left. Bottom line is there is nothing to do there and the neighborhood is changing. But you keep ignoring the fact that they want a premium for the Bengals to play there. I think the $s would be better spent on other things than a good location to play 3-5 games a year. If this was 2015 I would maybe agree with you but they struggle to even draw hundreds to a game these days. It just doesn't make financial sense.

It sounds like there aren't many good options; but I don't see how CH is an upgrade over Euclid. I just want a safe venue to watch a game with my family. CH doesn't offer that. Yes, CH has somewhere to meet before the game, but how many families do that? I don't, never did, and probably never will.

It sounds like there aren't many good options; but I don't see how CH is an upgrade over Euclid. I just want a safe venue to watch a game with my family. CH doesn't offer that. Yes, CH has somewhere to meet before the game, but how many families do that? I don't, never did, and probably never will.
I agree. All I'm interested in is going to the game,watching my Bengals win,then going home.

Cuyahoga Heights is an excellent location, a stone’s throw away from the South Broadway/Slavic Village side of Cleveland, yet a good area, also very close to 77-480, easily accessible for everyone.

Downside is that, like Auggie noted about Bedford, there are 1) no super close meet-up place (Big Boy is your best bet, as well as that Tequila Restaurant/Bar), and 2) only one-sided stands, i believe.

Regarding Independence, they are similar to Cuyahoga Heights (close to 77-480, good area), but also with restaurants close by, two-sided stands, I believe. My guess though is the $ would not be in Bene’s favor.

My memory of Bedford is that we made it work with multiple tailgates during the 2010-2015 seasons. Perhaps Cuyahoga Heights would offer a similar vibe, downside is those one-sided stands IMO

What about the following locations:

Case Western Reserve - It's fairly close to Benedictine, and the baseball team has played at Nobby's Ballpark in the past. Would they be able to use the field for Fridays though?
Gilmour Academy - It's a little bit of a haul, and there isn't a TON to do in Hunting Valley. However, VASJ has used it a time or two for their home games until their home field got completed.
Brush - Also close by John Carroll, and there are a quite a few restaurants on Mayfield Road. They could be a suitable alternative if Mayfield says no.

A couple more area stadiums that COULD work as last resort are Warrensville Heights and Maple Heights.

It has changed. When Benny started there it had a vibrant retail area that is now sitting empty, there is a reason why Wal Mart & Target have left. Bottom line is there is nothing to do there and the neighborhood is changing. But you keep ignoring the fact that they want a premium for the Bengals to play there. I think the $s would be better spent on other things than a good location to play 3-5 games a year. If this was 2015 I would maybe agree with you but they struggle to even draw hundreds to a game these days. It just doesn't make financial sense.
The last year we played at Bedford was 2019. I remember a huge crowd for the Shaker game,and nice crowds for Hoban,and the Brecksville playoff game. You know why? The team went 9-1,and had some exciting talent that scored a lot of points. The lower crowds recently are do to Covid in 2020-21, and bad teams last year,and this one. Don't know what else you want to spend the money on. Football was always important at Benedictine. People want a nice stadium,where they feel safe. Nobody I know cares about going to restaurant before a game. Who has time? I have not heard of any trouble at Bedford football games since we left 4 years ago.

Brush at one point was the home stadium for Notre Dame College. Obviously I’m a little biased, but with how well the recent VASJ/Kenston game went I think it would be a great place for Bene to play.