2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

So you’re hinging a program’s next hire on a two-game sample that is largely out of the coach’s control?
How many games did Kirby Smart coach (HC) before UGA hired him answer 0. Sticking with bball Hubert Davis at North Carolina, or Scheyer at Duke neither had HC experience. Diebler won more games than any of those coaches I mentioned before they became Head Coaches.

like a few others, I think if OSU beats Iowa and Illinois, that is most likely enough to get into the bracket. certainly winning the semifinal Saturday would insure it.

As for the Diebler discussion, if he gets this group into the tourney, and they win a game or two in the tourney, it would be almost impossible to not hire the guy. As I posted earlier, we may have stumbled into the next hot young coach. Who knows? I hope so...

Holtmann was different this year, at least to me. His coaching was similar, but he seemed like something might be going on with his health. I noticed right away this year he looked like he gained weight and was puffier, and his face always seemed to be red. Maybe it's nothing, but it was something that caught my eye from the beginning of the season.
I noticed the redness at times. He also seemed more unhappy/angry most of the time, quick to criticize players (which he rarely did in the past). I think it was just the pressure of the hot seat. He did not hold up well under the pressure, and it seemed like his kids were playing super tense also. That's why they blew those big leads. They are in a much better frame of mind now.

How many games did Kirby Smart coach (HC) before UGA hired him answer 0. Sticking with bball Hubert Davis at North Carolina, or Scheyer at Duke neither had HC experience. Diebler won more games than any of those coaches I mentioned before they became Head Coaches.
Smart coached under Nick Saban 9 years, Davis under Roy Williams 10 years, Scheyer under Coach K from 2014 until he became the head coach.

Diebler under Holtman and Bryce Drew??

I think there might be a little difference.

Agreed - this is what I came here to post. The defense has been much better since the change, and it all comes down to kids being motivated and playing harder. There were a few times in the first half where a bunch of OSU guys were just watching Rutgers win board battles, but for the most part the defensive effort has been much better under Diebler. Had Holtmann just lost the room? Sure seems that way.
Has little to do with the effort. Has everything to do with how they are being coached. They are sliding their feet and not using their hands, getting into proper low defensive stances, and not committing dumb fouls.

Smart coached under Nick Saban 9 years, Davis under Roy Williams 10 years, Scheyer under Coach K from 2014 until he became the head coach.

Diebler under Holtman and Bryce Drew??

I think there might be a little difference.
He also worked under Thad Matta for 3 years and Diebler is 37 years old been around for a while. Hiring a mid major HC for a job like OSU is a crap shoot, look at Holtmann, Crean, or many others. I know this, under Diebler this team is much improved, and not just defensively. I doubt he gets the job, but I would have no problem if he was OSU's HC next season.

This is a good site to track where Ohio St or anyone is at. Ohio St needs to win 2/3 games and have teams with similar NET rankings lose. Also need schools like Dayton, Princeton and FAU to win their conference tournaments
I don't see how they get in without at least getting to the finals this week.

They've gained some ground in the NET rankings, but they are still awfully light on Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins compared to several of the teams in the next 10-15 spots ahead of them in the NET rankings. I think they need a pair of Quad 1 wins (Illinois and Nebraska), and IMO will need to win the title to get in if a lower NET team like Indiana upsets Nebraska.

As you noted, just a few upsets could make this an extremely tough mountain to climb. One has already happened IMO. I don't think Drake (46th in NET) would have gotten in without winning the MVC tournament. Indiana State (29th in NET) is a near lock as an at-large IMO, and will swipe a bid from a bubble team.

Would Ohio State get any slack from the committee since they have a different coach? It seems unprecedented, but would it be similar to getting a star player back?

Would Ohio State get any slack from the committee since they have a different coach? It seems unprecedented, but would it be similar to getting a star player back?
Allegedly no. They claim they just compare blind resumes. Even if they did take it into account they would never admit it.

Yes. Committee takes into account players and coaches gained/lost
It was mentioned on the CBS broadcast, in response to that very question about OSU, that the committee doesn’t take those things into account, only that they compare blind resumes of the entire season’s work for each team. That being said, I believe they do look at things like injuries, hot streaks, major changes, etc, but don’t admit to it.

Has little to do with the effort. Has everything to do with how they are being coached. They are sliding their feet and not using their hands, getting into proper low defensive stances, and not committing dumb fouls.
So it is your theory that these players have not been coached their entire careers to slide their feet on defense? And Diebler told them about this radical new technique a few weeks ago and they said "wow, that really works".

It is 100% about effort. Reaching and committing dumb fouls happen when effort is lacking.

It was mentioned on the CBS broadcast, in response to that very question about OSU, that the committee doesn’t take those things into account, only that they compare blind resumes of the entire season’s work for each team. That being said, I believe they do look at things like injuries, hot streaks, major changes, etc, but don’t admit to it.
What they say and do are two different things. They definitely factor in injuries to key guys, hot/cold finishes to the season, etc. in their decisions when resumes are similar. Of course the resume is key - you have to at least be on the bubble to get that consideration.

So it is your theory that these players have not been coached their entire careers to slide their feet on defense? And Diebler told them about this radical new technique a few weeks ago and they said "wow, that really works".

It is 100% about effort. Reaching and committing dumb fouls happen when effort is lacking.
Agree Gayle, Thornton were good defenders under Holtmann but for whatever reason the entire team is much more aggressive under Diebler. Also, the Bucks look to push the bball under Diebler: Before Diebler took over, the Buckeyes averaged a meager 5.8 fast break points per game, 333rd in college basketball. In the six games since, they've averaged 12.3, with 15 more against Rutgers on Sunday. From Eleven Warriors

Diebler somehow very quickly connected with the team (something Holtmann could not do) and got the team to buy into his coaching style very quickly. IMO his coaching style is very similar to Thad Matta without the red face.

They absolutely do, they did with Evan Turner back in 2009 coming back from an injury

I can tell you haven't been around the AAU game much for these kids. It's a total s**t show when it comes to the fundamentals for basketball.

I can tell you haven't been around the AAU game much for these kids. It's a total s**t show when it comes to the fundamentals for basketball.
I have not seen AAU games ever, and I'm sure you are right about that. But it is not because their middle school and HS coaches do not teach it. I have coached in MS and assisted in HS. Slide drills are a daily thing. Diebler has just connected/inspired the kids where Holtmann seemingly could not, thus he is getting their best effort.

I have not seen AAU games ever, and I'm sure you are right about that. But it is not because their middle school and HS coaches do not teach it. I have coached in MS and assisted in HS. Slide drills are a daily thing. Diebler has just connected/inspired the kids where Holtmann seemingly could not, thus he is getting their best effort.
Well I used to play in summer leagues and I can tell you the coaching is pretty bad especially with the more athletic teams. Slide drills might be a thing in practice but if your coach isn’t emphasizing it then it doesn’t really matter. Diebler is emphasizing it and basic basketball 101

FWIW, Kelsey is taking College of Charleston to the NCAAs again winning the regular season and conference tourney. I think it’s worth keeping an eye on his team in the tourney along with May at FAU and DeVries at Drake, among others like Paris at South Carolina and Smart at Marquette.

FWIW, Kelsey is taking College of Charleston to the NCAAs again winning the regular season and conference tourney. I think it’s worth keeping an eye on his team in the tourney along with May at FAU and DeVries at Drake, among others like Paris at South Carolina and Smart at Marquette.
Personally I am less interested in guys that have been winners in the lower levels. I want OSU to spend big and poach somebody who has proven they can coach in the higher levels. Offer a bankroll to guys like Wright, Few, Drew, Collins, etc. OSU can also offer more of a spotlight to these guys. Make this program big time, and reap the rewards. If we can't get a big name, let's roll with Diebler. It is no more risky than plucking a guy from the minors.

Personally I am less interested in guys that have been winners in the lower levels. I want OSU to spend big and poach somebody who has proven they can coach in the higher levels. Offer a bankroll to guys like Wright, Few, Drew, Collins, etc. OSU can also offer more of a spotlight to these guys. Make this program big time, and reap the rewards. If we can't get a big name, let's roll with Diebler. It is no more risky than plucking a guy from the minors.

Is Bob Huggins' name big enough?