2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

Well, that continues to open the possibility that May is now the dude - and you're not bidding against IU.
I really want to see FAU make another strong NCAA run before I can really get behind May. Did he just catch lightning in a bottle last year? He returned the bulk of last season's team and they are not ranked as high as they were projected.

Interesting in the Pat Kelsey bit. Any elaboration?
There are an awful lot of negative tweets involving his name if you search it on their Twitter handle...many involving enough expletives that you probably couldn't post them here.

I think multiple folks linked to that account, since there seem to be several connected or insider types with access to it, have a major problem with how he handled taking and backing out of the UMass job. They seem to perceive him to be very manipulative and deceitful.

You get what you see with Cronin: below average recruiting given the resources, dogcrap offense, stout defense and 1-3 ejections a year when his little man syndrome appears. I watched him blame everyone but himself for his shortcomings for nearly a decade a half at UC. I’m good on seeing that again.
Make no mistake I strongly prefer Sean Miller to him, but outside of the little man syndrome I don't understand all of the hate for Cronin.

UCLA has dog crap facilities and funding. Outside of the glory of yesterday, Ohio State is a way better job than the current PAC 12 version of UCLA. Almost all of the guys he gets are top-100 recruits, and he's landed a few 5 stars out there.

I used to go to a lot of UC games because a coaching buddy that's close with the Cumberlands had season tickets to watch Jarron play. I hated his offensive structure and thought they were painful to watch in the half-court, but outside of Jarron and maybe a couple others I think it was largely predicated on who he could get to UC. It was very defensive oriented because by and large, the best (non-character flag) recruits you can land at UC are usually raw physical traits project players, or guys with basketball tools that don't check all of the elite physical traits.

I really want to see FAU make another strong NCAA run before I can really get behind May. Did he just catch lightning in a bottle last year? He returned the bulk of last season's team and they are not ranked as high as they were projected.
So he has to take a mid-major to the national championship game in order to think he’s a good coach?

There are an awful lot of negative tweets involving his name if you search it on their Twitter handle...many involving enough expletives that you probably couldn't post them here.

I think multiple folks linked to that account, since there seem to be several connected or insider types with access to it, have a major problem with how he handled taking and backing out of the UMass job. They seem to perceive him to be very manipulative and deceitful.
I completely forgot about that “debacle.” IMO, not a huge deal to me but I can understand how it may rub those in the industry the wrong way.

Yeah, I'm not saying he's a slam-dunk by any means. No pun intended. Lol. But it sounds as if he's on the short list.

I completely forgot about that “debacle.” IMO, not a huge deal to me but I can understand how it may rub those in the industry the wrong way.
Going way back, but after his Winthrop team lost at Ohio State 10+ years ago he made a political post-game presser speech on the matter (Sandy Hook) that was not well received by some in this circle, and was seen as very opportunistic and getting himself in the spotlight some.

Seems to get dumped on a bit, i.e. they think he's overrated to a degree, with comparison of what he did at Winthrop to what prior coaches did there... particularly Greg Marshall before he left Winthrop for Wichita State.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not saying he's a slam-dunk by any means. No pun intended. Lol. But it sounds as if he's on the short list.
I view him the same as Lamont Paris...kind of 2nd tier. Has definitely shown ability to build and/or turn around a program, but has nowhere near the head coaching experience or proven consistency of some others that should be serious candidates for this position.

Those guys could be coaching rockstars in the making. They could also be flashes in the pan that become duds, i.e. Archie Miller (and to a lesser degree, Holtmann).

Will Wade is a name OSU should be going after
Pretty sure he has a "show cause" penalty tag hanging around his neck for 1 or 2 more years. He was suspended for almost all of McNeese State's non-conference schedule this year.

I'd be surprised if anyone hired him out of concern that an erratic NCAA may swing around and decide to suspend him again or impose some idiotic restrictions on your program due to the "show cause" tag.

Will Wade is a name OSU should be going after
Why? He doesn’t perform well in March.

In his best season where he won the SEC regular season he got bumped in the first game of the SEC tourney to an average FL team and barely made it past Yale and Maryland before being upset by Michigan State in the NCAA tourney. I believe that was his only time making it past the 2nd round.

At Chattanooga he was upset by the 3rd last and last place teams in the conference tournaments. Upset by lowered ranked teams in the A10 tourney both years at VCU, too.

He was a “good” recruiter by cheating. That cheating is allowed now so he no longer has that advantage.

Why? He doesn’t perform well in March.

In his best season where he won the SEC regular season he got bumped in the first game of the SEC tourney to an average FL team and barely made it past Yale and Maryland before being upset by Michigan State in the NCAA tourney. I believe that was his only time making it past the 2nd round.

At Chattanooga he was upset by the 3rd last and last place teams in the conference tournaments. Upset by lowered ranked teams in the A10 tourney both years at VCU, too.

He was a “good” recruiter by cheating. That cheating is allowed now so he no longer has that advantage.
You have a point but it’s not like he was getting to the tournament consistently coaching at a basketball power. He’s had success everywhere he’s been

You have a point but it’s not like he was getting to the tournament consistently coaching at a basketball power. He’s had success everywhere he’s been
If you want to go with a controversial candidate, go with Beard, Pearl or Marshall at least. No way Wade.

Gregg Marshall is a hard no for me. There's a reason that he hasn't been hired by anyone in the last three hiring cycles since being forced out at Wichita State...in spite of having 20 regular season and conference tournament titles and a final four appearance.

There is an awful lot of credence to him being the things he was accused of. If people didn't believe he was a verbal and physical abuser, he would have been hired by a good mid-major or an AAC job by now.

I don’t know if Beard ever hit his fiancée in Texas, but he’s probably tempted to hit his team right now. A&M is putting an early hurt on Ole Miss. Something I notice when watching SEC games is how much quicker and athletic the players seem to be. It’s a good chance to see two potential OSU coaches, Buzz and Beard.

Since it's fresh in my mind since his team beat the dog piss out of Kansas today, my favorite semi-controversial coach if swinging for the fences is Kelvin Sampson.

Kind of on the old side (68), but the diehards are regularly coaching into their mid to late 70s now. I bet he's got a good 7-8 years left in him. The worst things he's done in the past are making impermissible phone calls (and a ton of them) and lying about it. Damn good basketball coach.

Since it's fresh in my mind since his team beat the dog piss out of Kansas today, my favorite semi-controversial coach if swinging for the fences is Kelvin Sampson.

Kind of on the old side (68), but the diehards are regularly coaching into their mid to late 70s now. I bet he's got a good 7-8 years left in him. The worst things he's done in the past are making impermissible phone calls (and a ton of them) and lying about it. Damn good basketball coach.
If he was 10 years younger he would be my absolute top choice.

I don’t think someone that has built a program into a national title contender at his age wants to start over. Would be great though. Has won at every stop

73-51 final. Led by as much as 27 late.

5-1 now under Diebler. Red hot going into the Big Ten tourney. The opponent is to be determined pending IU/Penn State later, but I think they're locked into the #9 seed.

73-51 final. Led by as much as 27 late.

5-1 now under Diebler. Red hot going into the Big Ten tourney. The opponent is to be determined pending IU/Penn State later, but I think they're locked into the #9 seed.
Best Bucks can do I believe is a 10 seed and still can be a 11 seed depending on the outcome of a couple games yet to be played, at least according to OSU bball radio announcers.

Bruce Pearl isn’t leaving Auburn at this point.

If I were Dusty May, I’d rather go to DePaul and rekindle a once-formidable program with local Chicago recruits. There’s no reason for DePaul to be as poor as they’ve been. And being at DePaul means playing in a premium basketball conference and living in a top city instead of being part of the humdrum Big Ten conference that is allegedly too big to fail but always does.

Best Bucks can do I believe is a 10 seed and still can be a 11 seed depending on the outcome of a couple games yet to be played, at least according to OSU bball radio announcers.
Not so sure. MN is in clubhouse with same conference record. PSU would be same if they beat MD today. Who has the tiebreakers?

Bruce Pearl isn’t leaving Auburn at this point.

If I were Dusty May, I’d rather go to DePaul and rekindle a once-formidable program with local Chicago recruits. There’s no reason for DePaul to be as poor as they’ve been. And being at DePaul means playing in a premium basketball conference and living in a top city instead of being part of the humdrum Big Ten conference that is allegedly too big to fail but always does.
DePaul doesn’t have the money that OSU does.

Pretty sure OSU is locked into the Indiana matchup on Thursday which sucks considering Indiana is the most athletic team in the conference and playing their best ball right now. Just a horrible matchup for OSU as well.