2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

Bruce Pearl isn’t leaving Auburn at this point.

If I were Dusty May, I’d rather go to DePaul and rekindle a once-formidable program with local Chicago recruits. There’s no reason for DePaul to be as poor as they’ve been. And being at DePaul means playing in a premium basketball conference and living in a top city instead of being part of the humdrum Big Ten conference that is allegedly too big to fail but always does.
ND sucks esp. at bball so you come troll on the OSU thread.

Not so sure. MN is in clubhouse with same conference record. PSU would be same if they beat MD today. Who has the tiebreakers?
If Indiana or Terps win today, Bucks will have the 10th seed.

Edit: Currently that athletic IU team is losing to MSU at home. If OSU is 11 seed play TTUN on Wed., win that maybe play Iowa on day 2.

Last edited:
If IU wins OSU wins tie breaker vs Minny but if IU loses Minny wins tiebreaker vs OSU. If Terps beat PSU, Bucks will have better record than PSU but if PSU wins, they win tiebreaker over OSU.

Think we want Penn State to win now to avoid Purdue in round 2 should OSU win the first game
You want Purdue. If they can beat them again they can probably lose the B1G championship game and squeak into the tourney. Beating Purdue again is probably their only shot at the NCAA tournament without actually winning the B1G tourney.

If you disagree with any of the content of my earlier post, I am happy to discuss it. If you agree with my post, then it wouldn’t be trolling, would it?
I don’t disagree. To me, the biggest problem in the B1G is mediocre coaches. When the B1G was more relevant in recent times, such as when Thaddeus was coaching the Buckeyes, you had a younger Izzo at MSU, Bo Ryan at Wisky, Beilein at Michigan, Crean at IU, Tubby Smith at Minny. Painter was at Purdue, McCaffrey at Iowa as they are still today. Bruce Weber at Illinois was an upgrade over Underwood, IMO. Basically, a lot more good coaches running good programs.

if OSU beats Iowa and Illinois I think they are in. It will be no easy task though, OSU does have revenge on their side in both games

if OSU beats Iowa and Illinois I think they are in. It will be no easy task though, OSU does have revenge on their side in both games
The Illinois win is the big one that can push them over the top, but I still think they need three wins in the B1G tourney.

OSU jumped from #60 to #54 in NET, which was impressive, but the Maryland win went from Q2 to Q3 overnight, so their team sheet didn't really improve all that much (still 5-11 in Q1/Q2 games).

I think they need 3 wins to legitimately be on the bubble again.

OSU jumped from #60 to #54 in NET, which was impressive, but the Maryland win went from Q2 to Q3 overnight, so their team sheet didn't really improve all that much (still 5-11 in Q1/Q2 games).

I think they need 3 wins to legitimately be on the bubble again.
One game at a time and I doubt OSU would beat Illini, but if the Buckeyes could beat Illini, that would give OSU wins over Purdue, Ala., and Illinois. Plus, the committee would have to be swayed by OSU playing very well at the end of the year. Mich. St. is 18 - 13 (limping into the BIG tourney) and almost considered a lock for the NCAA tourney but they should not be in the tourney less they win at least one BIG tourney game.

Edit: Joe Lunardi is supposed to be an expert, he has OSU playing MSU this from ESPN (Lunardi bracketology):Ohio State (vs. Michigan St.), Big Ten, Thursday, noon

That was posted at 11:15 last night. Think he would know the seeding being an expert.

Last edited:
OSU vs Iowa: Iowa is one of the worse defensive teams in college bball, if the Bucks can hold Iowa under 70 pts. really like OSU chances in this game.

Since they fired Holtman that have been giving up 10 fewer points a game.
Agreed - this is what I came here to post. The defense has been much better since the change, and it all comes down to kids being motivated and playing harder. There were a few times in the first half where a bunch of OSU guys were just watching Rutgers win board battles, but for the most part the defensive effort has been much better under Diebler. Had Holtmann just lost the room? Sure seems that way.

Agreed - this is what I came here to post. The defense has been much better since the change, and it all comes down to kids being motivated and playing harder. There were a few times in the first half where a bunch of OSU guys were just watching Rutgers win board battles, but for the most part the defensive effort has been much better under Diebler. Had Holtmann just lost the room? Sure seems that way.
Holtmann was different this year, at least to me. His coaching was similar, but he seemed like something might be going on with his health. I noticed right away this year he looked like he gained weight and was puffier, and his face always seemed to be red. Maybe it's nothing, but it was something that caught my eye from the beginning of the season.

Question is was Holtmann that bad and the talent lot better than most people thought or Diebler that good of a coach. Most likely combo of all 3. Right now, I think OSU is one of the top 4 teams in the BIG (behind Purdue, Ill., and NW) which of course means very little in the BIG tourney. I would have no problem if Diebler was given a 3-year prove it type contract (doubt it happens).

Diebler is such an unknown that it's hard to give him a contract. If OSU makes the tourney, I would be willing to support that risk, but there's at least 2 BTT games he must win.

Diebler is such an unknown that it's hard to give him a contract. If OSU makes the tourney, I would be willing to support that risk, but there's at least 2 BTT games he must win.
So you’re hinging a program’s next hire on a two-game sample that is largely out of the coach’s control?